The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Removing Kill Leaderboard and Leaderboard Notifications

aidan890

Half an hour after the mad rush of Tenno to visit Baro this morning we encountered a surge of database congestion on the stats cluster; it was causing Network Not Responding errors and was starting to kick people offline. As you can vividly see, disabling the Weekly Kills leaderboard immediately relaxed the pressure and all signs of strain vanished: 

ygpb13M.png

1 minute ago, Namastyler said:

@[DE]GlenWhat caused the surge of database congestion on the stats cluster in the first place? People checking if they have already a weapon?

Hundreds of people finishing missions at the same time and all trying to update the Kills leaderboard index at once; you can update your stats at the same time as I update my stats but only one of us can update the leaderboard index once so it makes us queue up.

2 minutes ago, [DE]Glen said:

Hundreds of people finishing missions at the same time and all trying to update the Kills leaderboard index at once; you can update your stats at the same time as I update my stats but only one of us can update the leaderboard index once so it makes us queue up.

Wow, like a mini-DDoS attack. Divide et impera i guess. Good call disabling it immediately.

I discovered this precise moment of their existance... 10 minutes after BoS was released. And I played for 310 hours...

@[DE]Glen

Half an hour after the mad rush of Tenno to visit Baro this morning we encountered a surge of database congestion on the stats cluster; it was causing Network Not Responding errors and was starting to kick people offline. As you can vividly see, disabling the Weekly Kills leaderboard immediately relaxed the pressure and all signs of strain vanished: 

From a developer to another, congratulations for a tricky diagnosis and debug. Problems like these seem random and are hard to pin, especially on seldom used features that are activated continuously.

Is there no way to fix this? Some of us liked making fun can contests based on the amount of kills. Thanks for removing yet another thing clans use. 

(I get the decision why it was done, its simply very unfortunate, like raids....)

On 18.4.2018 at 5:21 PM, MirageKnight said:

Because competition in a co-op game makes so much sense, right?

competition is everywhere and in everything - it's a fundamental driving force of evolution. and in coop games it's nearly as strong present as in "pure" competitive games - or did you never even look at the post-battle screen to see who had the most kills, damage, etc.? if not, you sure are an exception from the rule...

as for the "difficulties" DE have "notifying" the messages to the players, hundreds or thousands of times per second is a rather funny excuse, even IF there are ddos attacks present ALL the time (which should never be the case if my "colleagues" over there, where DE have their servers rented or running) - it sure sound far more as something like preventing more costs due to more data-traffic and higher server overload, which in turn means they never calculated the possible workload of this feature before bringing it into live-conditions... it sounds more like they "fieldtested" it and then decided it to expensive (at least for the moment). we'll see if they put it back online anytime soon - maybe if they optimize it a bit more ^^)

15 hours ago, (PS4)m9123066880 said:

Ask the players who have a skull badge how they feel about it I guarantee they think it’s useful 

I said "useful", not looks nice. If it makes no difference in stats if you have it or not, then my point stands.

Couldn't you leave the leaderboard and remove the notifications its existed for a long while; and would be nice to check it every now and again

speaking of leaderboards however; why do we not have our all time best on our profile stats for things other then the 3 minigames

1 hour ago, fr4gb4ll said:

competition is everywhere and in everything - it's a fundamental driving force of evolution. and in coop games it's nearly as strong present as in "pure" competitive games - or did you never even look at the post-battle screen to see who had the most kills, damage, etc.? if not, you sure are an exception from the rule...

Speak for yourself, because you don't speak for "everyone". And you're being awfully presumptuous and rude.

I look at that post battle screen at times to see if someone - even me - was / is dominating the game with something potentially OP. If I'm out-killing other players by a wide margin, that means I'm probably robbing someone of their fun and I need to tone things down a bit so other people can actually play and not stand around feeling bored and useless.

See, I haven't forgotten that Warframe is a co-op game. That means play well with others, not against.

4 hours ago, [DE]Glen said:

Glen, this kind of effort at transparency and making us feel a bit better about significant changes is MUCH appreciated. 

Kudos!

The main point is that within a cell, the activity is cooperative.

I always felt like depending upon the mission type, that players should be scored and ranked that way. For example, in survival, picking up enemy life support modules (when life support is ≥99%), healing allies shield/health values (when either are ≥99%), resurrecting allies, and killing enemies (less for light units, more for heavy, greatest for eximus). Activating the large life support unit would grant the most points but scale with the actual amount of life support restored, and all cell members would share those points.

The same format scales to other game modes (except spy/rescue) where instead, mission objective (sabotage/mobile defense, etc.) points could be shared. For stealth missions, the mission objective points would be shared with the team, with deductions for each time you are seen, and each time alarms are activated or doors are locked. Only stealth kills would grant kill points.

Just a rough idea.

5 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

Speak for yourself, because you don't speak for "everyone". And you're being awfully presumptuous and rude.

I look at that post battle screen at times to see if someone - even me - was / is dominating the game with something potentially OP. If I'm out-killing other players by a wide margin, that means I'm probably robbing someone of their fun and I need to tone things down a bit so other people can actually play and not stand around feeling bored and useless.

See, I haven't forgotten that Warframe is a co-op game. That means play well with others, not against.

How dare you care about others, who do you think you are to care about other people? I see that you need conditioning from Dr. Tengus!

Jokes aside, that's a noble idea - when I see a rank 2 or someone with a very low mastery rank, I tone it down so they can get kills as well.

6 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

what pissed you off about my statement? guess i hit a nerve there and you didn't like that being true, hmm? i even gave you the "escape way out" with the 'exception from the rule' statement... so let's reverse YOUR statement: speak for yourself, because you don't speak for "everyone". and yes, you're being awfully presumptuous and rude too for no reason at all (except if your ego can't handle someone NOT having the same opinion - if that's case, go and f-off - that's rude btw, though not very much)

On 4/20/2018 at 10:03 PM, [DE]Glen said:

ygpb13M.png

Thanks for the transparency, great to see this info up front

Archived