Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[PC] Update 23: Visual Accessibility UI Themes and General UI Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

Yes, as many stated, make it more usable in terms of information density. Moseover hidden menus are not useful. Also extractor health percentages are hidden behind their icons on selecting them. Personally not a big fan of the color scheme, but will probably grow on me once legacy menu design is phased out. 

To drive the point home - the new layout on inventory was to change from the old side scroll to a vertical scroll.  But you already had that implemented (fairly well I might add) in the Arcane manager:

i-7MKGcc8-L.png

That is the model the new vertical should have used (at least the left side- you could still have it select or mouse over to view stats)

a quick cut and paste of some text as example: i just pasted in Arcane Accel as place holder for text. Obviously its a bit small but reduce the number of columns by one or even two and there should be plenty of space.  I can quickly look  at the below image and know I have 3 Arcane Accel  where as I can't quickly determine how many of anything i have that not labelled.  This screen NEEDS text.

i-2nrvNtM-L.png

Edited by tucker_d_dawg

It sure is pretty, but I'd prefer to have the information about items visible without having to hover over/click them. Also some colors could use some work, like mission vote. It used to be clearly indicated when others had accepted it, but not anymore. Also the UI colors are pretty expensive, just saying.

UI feedback:

• Icons are too small. Six per row could be reduced to five per row, so they can all be enlarged a bit.
  • The name needs to be visible. Icons for various things look identical.(All neuroptics look alike) Annoying to have to scroll over each to figure out what it is. This is a HUGE problem.
  • When buying from Baro... where is the currency counter? I didn't know how many ducats I had and had to run to the other terminal to see.
  • It would be nice if you indicated whether something is owned or not without having to click on an item. In Baro's store, I had to click on each gold mod to see if I owned it or not. Used to be simpler / better.
  • I do like how the items being sold to Baro list on the left and provide a nice summary / total of what you are selling.
  • I love the title screen transition into the ship.

Really, we need more information up front without requiring us to mouse over / click on an item to see more details. That's the big gripe that makes the UI difficult to use. Visually a step up, functionally a step back in its current state.

11 hours ago, RoomofR said:

JbYNmtV.png

I love the UI because it is a lot cleaner and the sound design is wonderful, however:

• There are some dead space that kills my OCD.
  • I kind of miss being able to press "esc" and seeing all my group's weapons and equipment with out hovering on each at a time. Also as -TSA-BierWurstGER said, it tends to glitch behind icons time to time.
  • Also the removal of alot of names/titles make it difficult to know the difference of a lot of muted item icons.
  • The muted color of icons bugs me a lot as it start to burl with the rest of the background. You have a bunch of wonderful and colorful item icons, I feel like there is no need to mute the color for a hover effect.

Edit: I another problem is the mouse tends to jerk when clicking on search bar sometimes.

Thanks 😄

im on the same boat about this issue. my only gripe with the new UI changes is that the squad UI is a step backwards.

the whole point of pressing esc was to check squad compositions for the upcoming mission or assuring if people are using the correct relic and if its radiant or not etc. you have now made it 3x as harder to check core information about the squad and what they currently have equipped. please either expand the squad menu or have an option for them to always be expanded.

@[DE]Pablo please be our saviour *kneels and prays*

As someone that has lived with deuteranopia, with a touch of blue-purple to make things extra confusing, the UI has never been the issue. Unlike most loot-based games, WF doesn't break items down by rarity using a white/green/blue/purple/yellow scale. For me, the copper/bronze, silver, gold, white/platinum is easily readable. Black and white is never a solution as it just mimics having total color blindness, like in Cuphead. Instead of just adding in accessibility for the UI, the team should be looking into adding filters for the whole game. Plains is a nightmare while looking for small brown creatures in the muddy landscape. This issue has been exacerbated by the need to hunt these things down to get pigments for dojo colors. The riven challenges are a pain too.

The biggest hit to accessibility in the UI, which seems to affect all if responses here are anything to go by, is the lack of item names at a glance. Seeing as how most weapon/frame/prime parts have a uniform set of component models it now requires me to mouse over every item while looking for the one that I want. I should be spending more time gathering loot as opposed to sorting through what I want and need.

I LOVE the new UI and customization options! This is awesome! A couple things I noticed so far that still need some details were not seeing ducats when in baro window, some overlap on UI features or things in the starchart like extractors. Other than a few small details, it looks and feel awesome! Love the new sounds, and the ability to customize the main menu. 😎

The aesthetic and the colours of the new UI are great but it fails practically. It makes several tasks in the game much harder. Please add the quality of life changes that everyone is asking for. Let us see the names of the items, if they're mastered and stuff. If you don't want it to to be like that for newer players, default it so that it doesn't show, but allow players to opt-in for the information to be there.

Edited by Leorion

The Item List is really confusing in my opinon... is it possible to see something like "sets"? so when you own a whole set of something? (bp and parts)

And e.g. every receiver looks the same, you always have to hover your mouse over the item... thats very unclear...

Edited by ViperX176

The new UI screens are attractive, but there's a harsh loss of convenience and usability in the affected screens. The Ducat trading console, in particular, was quite frustrating to interact with in the absence of both item tags and Ducat values.

Overall, a step back, not forward, particularly on screens with relatively homogenous icons. The Ducat console is a primary example of that, since the icons for Prime parts are very homogenous.

**This post is a WIP, I'll be editing it as I have more things to add to it**

I'd call these UI changes a complete downgrade, in terms of utility.  Only DE, would even go so far as to nerf their UI. 

First of all, the old UI was intuitive, was efficient, and was fully functional.  That's three things the old UI was, that the new UI isn't. 

I suppose that with many bug fixes, 'fully functional' will no longer be on that list.  But that begs the question: why fix it if it ain't broke?  I.e. by creating a brand new UI when the old one was perfectly functional. 

The new UI... where to begin?

Well, on the subject of the new UI not being fully functional, we can start with it breaking during trades, resulting in perma-hunched over trade stance, which was fixed with Task Manager by ending the task that is The Evolution Engine. 

unknown.png

Here's a weapons inventory example:

unknown.png

If you notice, I apparently have two Akboltos and two Akstilettos.  However, what that really is, is:

unknown.png

unknown.png

However, the images display properly that I have an Akbronco and Akbronco Prime, and the same goes for the Aklex/Prime. 

As far as I can see, this improper image display is only the case with Ash/Prime, Akbolto/Prime/Telos, Akstiletto/Prime, Braton/Prime, Cernos/Prime, Orthos/Prime, Skana/Prisma(/Prime?), Strun/Wraith, Viper Wraith/Twin Viper Wraith, Vasto/Prime, Vulkar/Wraith. 

At least, that's with a cursory examination of my inventory. 

On the topic of the new UI being inefficient, I will reference the above screenshots of my weapons inventory. 

First of all, there's so much dead space on the screen (compared to the old UI) that it's just visually annoying. 

Secondly, you don't see names, forma count, item rank, or mastery rank lock of a given item, unless it's being moused over.  Whereas in the old UI, it used to give forma count, mastered/not mastered, name, current focus lens' school, and current rank on each item passively, without taking up extra space.  Also, who cares if a weapon IN YOUR INVENTORY now displays its mastery rank lock?  At that point, a player already has the weapon.  <I'm going to say this a lot throughout this post, but whoever thought this change was a good idea over at DE HQ, obviously does not use the UI often/effectively (as a matter of fact, I'm just going to copypasta this every time it applies).> 

This gets very annoying in the case of having multiples of the same thing.  I have 5 Atterax, 1 for each focus school and each with a varying amount of forma, which is just a nuisance to see in the new UI. 

unknown.png

However from this image, you'd only be able to tell that I have 5 of them, nothing else, without closer and tedious inspection. 

unknown.png

Now, while this wasn't terribly confusing in the weapons inventory, let's take a trip to the prime pieces inventory, shall we? 

It's a lot harder to tell what's what, especially when every chassis/carapace, systems, helmet/cerebrum, stock/barrel/receiver, etc uses the same picture, and there's now no text to use to distinguish them.  If I didn't have the main BP's for everything, it'd be nightmarish to search for and find everything, as in the case of the Mag Prime pieces in this screenshot.  It appears to be just another Loki Prime piece, but there's a Mag Prime Helmet and Chassis BP in there.  This is especially the case with the microscopic tiles used for each piece in trading with the new UI.  <I'm going to say this a lot throughout this post, but whoever thought this change was a good idea over at DE HQ, obviously does not use the UI often/effectively (as a matter of fact, I'm just going to copypasta this every time it applies).> 

This makes trading a prolonged nightmare, and the added time to painstakingly check/search inventory during each trade is just inane.  Time is money (in this case, plat), and our time (and as such, plat) is being wasted here. 

Third, I don't want to mouse over 4 people's icons individually in a squad to see what they're running in a mission.  This change, to me, should be met with the same reaction as the forced 1 second delay when accessing navigation, of the Operator/Warframe doing the kneel animation.  It's just another added DElay for no other reason than 'f*** the player, enjoy your wasted time every time you do <insert action here>'.  There's no positive benefit to the change, only a negative result.  It leaves 2 possible options to be true for DE - either the people in charge of making the change don't play the game enough to know that it'd exclusively negatively affect the game, or they did so anyways knowing that it would do so in a purely anti-player decision.  Neither one looks good for DE. 

Fourth, there's too much going on in the screen to the point where the UI just appears to be nothing but cluttered.  Personally, I find it a nuisance to look at, and I've tried it with every theme.  But that's just me.  There's no point being able to have 24 items on-screen if the tradeoff is the entire efficiency of the UI.  <I'm going to say this a lot throughout this post, but whoever thought this change was a good idea over at DE HQ, obviously does not use the UI often/effectively (as a matter of fact, I'm just going to copypasta this every time it applies).> 

All in all, I'd say that one of two things is true.  The first option, is that the UI changes were rushed out to be able to ship The Sacrifice within the week deadline DE set for themselves, before the UI changes  were ready.  The second option, is that this is just intended to get players purchasing some plat for UI cosmetics, and was released while still being half-baked for this purpose. 

The reason that I say this, is that this new UI is a complete downgrade over the old one in terms of functionality (with the exception of the one-click matchmaking setting change improvement).  One would hope that, given the proper development time and a positive attitude towards this game's community, this is not something DE would release as a final product.  I'd like to think that the first option is the case, rather than the second. 

We were told that the UI was being overhauled (in similar words) 'to look nicer and flow more smoothly'.  While 'nicer' is a subjective term that varies based on personal opinion, the rule of thumb for updating something cosmetically is to only impact its appearance with changes.  Not its usefulness/effectiveness.  For example, the PBR of various primes that we've seen are examples of cosmetic updates. 

If this is what flowing more smoothly looks like, I think we've been screwed. 

Do you know what flowed more smoothly?  The old UI. 

As a matter of fact, eliminating some of the excessive vertical spacing of the old UI to have 3 rows of inventory instead of two (while in the inventory menu), and then creating cosmetic templates for that UI would've been a less resource-intensive endeavor for DE, which would've yielded more positive results. 

So much effort was put into this new UI to make it look 'nicer', that not enough effort was put in to improve, or at the very least maintain, its functionality/effectiveness/fluidity.  

Which is why I'd call for an option, like with the old Legacy UI scaling, to have a Legacy UI customization that isn't just a 'theme' for the new UI.  Because being forced to update into a downgrade, is just adding insult to injury. 

Most of my complaints have already been explained by others. So just to toss in my vote, I don't like the new UI. However prettier it looks now, is far overshadowed by how unintuitive and uninformative it is now.

Looks shouldnt be on top of function. The UI needs to show names and basic info of the items displayed, and shouldnt hide options that are accessed constantly like "leave squad", because it makes it extra annoying having to hover over everything. 

I hope the next wave adds in the text they removed

But that would be weird if that was considered a different wave

The syndicate screens becoming more bland is probably going to be a bigger problem on a following wave

Now that I have taken the next wave into consideration, I think it is going to get worse

More UI concerns, probably a good chunk of these have already been mentioned across the other posts in this thread but it bears repeating on how uncomfortable or poorly fitting some of the UI feels.

First is the escape menu. The large amount of empty space at the top is quite disturbing to see, either increase the space given to the other menu tabs or let the profile icon equipment fill that space without being a drop down menu.
https://imgur.com/HJld5Pd

The next is the inventory. Can you quickly identify the items in my inventory? No, it requires pop up menus. The font stating the number for the quantity of an item is also fairly small, bumping it up a few font sizes would be much easier to read.
(Inventory overlook) https://imgur.com/T4ARNQ1
(hovering over Ash Prime) https://imgur.com/EUe9bQO

Weapons, frames, and others with incorrect icons that I've so far discovered. Nothing in parenthesis following means that the icon displayed is the base variant icon.

Spoiler

Akbolto Prime, Akstilleto Prime, Anti Violet Pigment (icon is a bright red pigment), Ash Prime [FIXED], Cernos Prime, Fusilai (wrong icon entirely), Hikou Prime (uncomfortably different than BP and base variant), Karak Wraith, Mesa (today I learned A appearance affects inventory icon), Nekros Prime (same), Prisma Grakata [FIXED], Soma Prime (icon has a missing magazine), Strun Wraith, Vaykor Marelok, Vulkar Wraith

Ideas to improve UI
Allow different tile size icons in the UI customization
Increase font size overall in the Inventory menu, especially to things like the search bar and quantity of items.
Increase the size of the sorting icons in the Inventory menu or put that in a drop down menu with increased size for legibility. It's too small.
Inventory's Search bar should be larger than the Sort By box.
Fill in that void of empty space on the Escape menu, either by giving that space to the tabs in the menu or to the profile icons and equipment of squad members (old layout version).

Edited by AeneasofTroy
updated discovered incorrect icon list