Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Threre Really any Point in Picking Light Side and Dark Side?

AJ5511

So, after the war within quest, everyone was given the option of either picking the light side or the dark side, or staying neutral, but up till now there has really been no use for it. In the end, all warframes are essentially good, so I don't see the point of having this at all. Unless the Umbra allow you to invade the games of other players (in stalker like fashion) (and like how players invade other worlds in Dark Souls). Just wondering if there are any applications for this, any ideas?

2 minutes ago, ArchangelusAlpharius said:

Sun side seems to be a more crusader mentality. Much more passionate feelings, but with a strong sense of justice.

Moon seems to be the softer, more compassionate side. However, the moon seems to be more willing to use extreme methods.

^

It does not follow the western dichotomy of good and evil, instead it represents the eastern of yin and yang.

To me it feels more like
Sun = Emotional / Merciful / Softer  Driven
Moon = Logical / Revengeful / Cold Driven
Neutral. Indeferent

In DE (heh get it?) end, its not good or bad imo, but more what drives your choices

It would be interesting if alignment dictates the appearance and function of some "ultimate form". Maybe a quest will come further down the line that allows the Tenno to further evolve their void powers to make them powerful in their own right? If you lean further on the light, your skin cracks and you radiate with bright glowing energy, but if you lean towards the dark, your body is wrapped in wispy shadows as if you had become darkness itself.

That's my hope, but I agree with the OP that right now, alignments really do nothing except make the Indifference's doppelganger change eye colors or determine helminth's dialogue.

Not really. I mean, it has been a year and 8 months since it was introduced ,and nothing has come out of it. I think that they've even mentioned in one of the devstreams that it wasn't such a good idea. 

Edited by aligatorno

il y a 11 minutes, An8rchy a dit :

To me it feels more like
Sun = Emotional / Merciful / Softer  Driven
Moon = Logical / Revengeful / Cold Driven
Neutral. Indeferent

In DE (heh get it?) end, its not good or bad imo, but more what drives your choices

Hum, I don't know about you, but telling Ballas to squirm like the maggot that he is isn't really "merciful" and "soft", imo. 

I personnaly regret choosing the Yin side (or whatever you want to call it). I never wanted my character to be some crusader-like dude, but since the choices aren't well explained, I got fooled by the "light/dark side" and assumedI was choosing the "good" rather than the "evil", which seems to be the opposite sometimes. 

I would rather redo all the cinematic quest to choose the answers I prefer than keeping my current "~80%" Yin side. Or at least return to a more neutral state. 

2 minutes ago, Blade_Wolf_16 said:

but telling Ballas to squirm like the maggot that he is isn't really "merciful" and "soft", imo.

But it was driven by emotions, Since ballas took Lotus. Still, yes, i could have taken better words, but its just my take, Emotion vs Logic (or indiferent, cuz neutral is a thing XD)

Right now outside of the dialogue differences there doesn't seem to be any point to the selections and IMHO it should stay that way. 

Because if there is ever a chunk of cheese at the end of a moral choice system it stops being about ones own morality and becomes all about getting the cool MacGuffin.

38 minutes ago, ArchangelusAlpharius said:

Sun side seems to be a more crusader mentality. Much more passionate feelings, but with a strong sense of justice.

Moon seems to be the softer, more compassionate side. However, the moon seems to be more willing to use extreme methods.

In this last quest, yes; but I don't think hunting people 'like animals' is a compassionate thing to do. Most of the dark karma choices before were active while Sun was passive, for this quest; that is reversed. Glast Gambit also has Sun break ethical obligations; while doing the morally sound decision for a child's life; while Moon keeps the spirit of an agreement but dooms a child to an avoidable death and for the cycle to continue. Roughly, Sun before is more in-tune with what the Lotus would do; while Moon brings one closer to Wally. Recently, that might be reversed; for a reason or to be more in-tune with how some cultures see the balance of the Light of Ruin and the Gentle Darkness is hard to say.

As for meaning? DE Steve has mentioned that there is intened to be a pay-off for these decisions but is not yet ready in the meat of the story.

Edited by Urlan

For example in star wars the old republic online you have dark and light sides for weapons. For example if you have more lighe side then you can buy blue lightsaber and some outfits for light side. This maybe can become the same with that options but we are going to need options so that we can change light and dark points in a future so that we can farm with that points what we need to get fron that. Because it will bee stupid to say hey I didn't know that dark side have much better syandanas from the light. If I knew that,I would farm dark and now I can't.... So DE need to find solutions for that if they go in that direction...

43 minutes ago, Blade_Wolf_16 said:

Hum, I don't know about you, but telling Ballas to squirm like the maggot that he is isn't really "merciful" and "soft", imo. 

I personnaly regret choosing the Yin side (or whatever you want to call it). I never wanted my character to be some crusader-like dude, but since the choices aren't well explained, I got fooled by the "light/dark side" and assumedI was choosing the "good" rather than the "evil", which seems to be the opposite sometimes. 

I would rather redo all the cinematic quest to choose the answers I prefer than keeping my current "~80%" Yin side. Or at least return to a more neutral state. 

I think all the dialogue in the Sacrifice is bugged, and it still bugs me since I finished it. The War Within clearly made the light side be the good and virtuous while the dark side be impulsive and radical. For example, you can choose the light side and say you held out hope when the adults broke through, tell Teshin to let the Elder Queen live despite everything she did, and destroy the kuva at the end. Those sound like merciful and virtuous traits for the light side.

And lest I forget: There's also the Glast Gambit quest. The light side once more showed mercy by curing the child of the virus. Up until the Sacrifice, there has been no deviation from the light and dark path in terms of outcome.

Sacrifice spoilers:

Spoiler

Suddenly, the Sacrifice rolls out, and the light path chooses wrath to fuel you, have Ordis replay the Lotus saying "the war without and the war within", and telling Ballas to squirm like the maggot he is. None of those sound virtuous nor merciful when compared to the War Within. I feel like the dialogue choices were swapped by accident.

I still chose them, because I'm a good boi, but I still feel like they're not appropriate to the path.

Edited by Pizzarugi

41 minutes ago, Pizzarugi said:

I think all the dialogue in the Sacrifice is bugged, and it still bugs me since I finished it. The War Within clearly made the light side be the good and virtuous while the dark side be impulsive and radical. For example, you can choose the light side and say you held out hope when the adults broke through, tell Teshin to let the Elder Queen live despite everything she did, and destroy the kuva at the end. Those sound like merciful and virtuous traits for the light side.

And lest I forget: There's also the Glast Gambit quest. The light side once more showed mercy by curing the child of the virus. Up until the Sacrifice, there has been no deviation from the light and dark path in terms of outcome.

Sacrifice spoilers:

Hide contents

Suddenly, the Sacrifice rolls out, and the light path chooses wrath to fuel you, have Ordis replay the Lotus saying "the war without and the war within", and telling Ballas to squirm like the maggot he is. None of those sound virtuous nor merciful when compared to the War Within. I feel like the dialogue choices were swapped by accident.

I still chose them, because I'm a good boi, but I still feel like they're not appropriate to the path.

You're not understanding that this is not based on the western philosophy of good and evil. Yin and Yang represent Discipline and Passion - passion being the spirit, the emotion, the mind, and Discipline being the physical, the here-and-now, the body. 

Western concepts of virtue (those being Prudence, Courage, Temperence, Justice, Faith, Hope, and Charity) have no bearing on Warframe. Instead, the morality of Warframe is based on whether you follow earthly discipline or spiritual flame.