Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dear DE... Why defense and not defence?

(PSN)KingGuy420

American english is way more streamlined, no need for extra vowels in our armors and colors.

Plus, Britain gave up their global empire decades ago, and now relies on royal weddings to get airtime. Canada could prob just sign a letter and declare independence without too much bother and spell any word however they want.

i...i didnt even know there was another spelling aside from defense...is that the american way to spell it? im an american and i dont even know lol

genuinely this is the first im hearing of the spelling with a c....and im having trouble believing its not a mispelling XD

The English language has assimilated many foreign words and the British have probably kept them true to their original sources. Anyone not British, not just the US, has probably bastardized much of the “original” English. It would be nice to hear from the other big English speaker: the aussies. 

As a US lad, the term that always gets me is Maths. Mathematics is not a plural world, it just ends with an “s”.  The abbreviation should be Math, not maths. 

Ps: I do wish we used metric and Celsius though. Having a wider range for temperature is nice, but I’d rather be more consistent with the rest of the world. 

Edited by (XB1)motionROTATION

9 minutes ago, (XB1)motionROTATION said:

Ps: I do wish we used metric

We use both over here, just to screw with everyone. 

Things are measured in metres, items are weighed in kilograms.

Your car travels in miles per hour though, and signposts list all distances in miles.

There really isn't any reason to use the American spelling. 

It is irrelevant whether they think it is "more streamlined" to drop the U from colour etc...

The English language was established, had it's rules and parameters set down, and was written and spoken for centuries, by the time America gained independence and began to alter words.

Yes, language evolves.

But this is in the case of new words, not ones established and used for untold generations being changed on a whim.

I say "on a whim", so perhaps I will go and research the reason why it was changed in America.

Anyway, my point is the language has consistency and rules, or it doesn't.

I'd be interested to see how other English speaking people's, and those who are bi-lingual but with it as a second language, spell those words.

I suspect the gradually Americanisation of culture and the export of that American culture may see American spelling in use more widely in the developing world.

Then again, many countries like India, South Africa, the Caribbean, Aus/NZ, already had a well established use of English long before American ascendance, due to the historical ties to Britain going back several centuries.

Her majesty is right, however, there is no such thing as American or British English; there is only English with regional and cultural variations in spelling and accent.

P.S I wonder how it is with regards spelling with Spanish speakers in Mexico and Latin America compared to Spain, and Portuguese in Brazil and Portugal?

Edited by (PS4)RhinoCharging00

19 hours ago, Noibat said:

The fact that the word Snogging exists,  completely obliterates any legitimate argument that American English is the weirder one. 

Snog, pronounced snock, is the Scots Gaelic word for nice... just thought I'd share. American English is more faithful to how UK English was back in the day when the Pilgrims sailed to North America. Defence / defense is from the Middle English word defens.

2 hours ago, (XB1)motionROTATION said:

The English language has assimilated many foreign words and the British have probably kept them true to their original sources. Anyone not British, not just the US, has probably bastardized much of the “original” English. It would be nice to hear from the other big English speaker: the aussies. 

As a US lad, the term that always gets me is Maths. Mathematics is not a plural world, it just ends with an “s”.  The abbreviation should be Math, not maths. 

Ps: I do wish we used metric and Celsius though. Having a wider range for temperature is nice, but I’d rather be more consistent with the rest of the world. 

This may be an interseting link that explains the 's': https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/mathematics

8 minutes ago, Am0rph15 said:

Snog, pronounced snock, is the Scots Gaelic word for nice... just thought I'd share. American English is more faithful to how UK English was back in the day when the Pilgrims sailed to North America. Defence / defense is from the Middle English word defens.

And snog/snogging, pronounced as spelled,  means to kiss or behave affectionately.  Language is weird.  Lol

17 hours ago, (PS4)supernova_girlie said:

I'm confused right now. I thought British English uses the 's' and American English uses the 'c.'

Regardless, and you know I can't resist getting philosophical, one day humans are going to feel stupid about nationalism when the Klingons show up in their Birds of Prey. Just saying...

Species 8472 is far more likely. 

il y a 45 minutes, Feltal a dit :

Adding an extra "u" would trigger me more.

VV

il y a 39 minutes, DeMonkey a dit :

It's not an ''extra'' u though, it's the correct amount of u's. :wink:

I love you more and more. 

On the same note, we have way to many z and too little s, like polarise, magnetise... 

Edited by Autongnosis

5 hours ago, (PS4)RhinoCharging00 said:

P.S I wonder how it is with regards spelling with Spanish speakers in Mexico and Latin America compared to Spain, and Portuguese in Brazil and Portugal?

Spanish spelling is fairly standardised globally, but different countries and regions can have widely different vocabulary, or even have the same words with different meanings in different countries. Regional accents cause differences in pronunciation, and certain regions even have altered grammar (voseo usage in Argentina, prevalence of vosotros in Spain vs rest of the world). But spelling doesn't vary much, largely because Spanish pronunciation is much more strict than English pronunciation, if I had to guess. And at the official government level, Spanish is mostly identical everywhere despite regional differences. The Royal Spanish Academy in Madrid is charged with ensuring the stability of the Spanish language on a global level. I wish English had a regulating body like that.

Edited by GrayArchon