Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma needs a rework

Aleksi134

5 hours ago, DeadlyCreation said:

imo giving chroma elemental swap in mission is just the most lazy thing ever. he is all about choosing and building a build around one specific element. so instead of fixing the elements and give each its proper use giving him elemental swap doesnt solve anything.

First, lets start out with I, personally, don't simply want to add a swap mechanic. That is the bare minimum. If DE just added a swap mechanic and said "okay done" I would also call it fairly lazy even if it is a step in the 'right' direction. I am not going to turn down the bare minimum though and as my favorite frame I'd still be advocating for more... but building blocks and foundations are needed.

Secondly, is that what he is about or just what YOU want him to be about? 90% is building Chroma is around Vex then have Ward tag along. Even then Heat, Cold, and Toxin all build relatively the same and generally don't butt up against Vex builds. Electric Ward needs/does better with more range (which is slightly less detrimental after Vex became an aura) but also needs to keep Vex's strength up (if only for protection). However, even if they were unique does that make it a good idea? That way of utilization is incompatible with how modding works and I don't know why people would want 4 Chroma's to min-max especially since you can't actually farm him (well with Prime you might for a while). Building your access into 1/4 a frame doesn't sound fun but I suppose that's just my opinion.

if chroma just received an elemental swap ability he would still have a broken ability kit that, except of vex armor, has no good abilities. if you could swap on the fly to electric or poison in its current state - would you do it? no because noone cares about them in the first place.

I have never advocated for solely elemental swap. He needs, again at bare minimum, improvements to his 1 and 4. Heat and Cold need to be redefined and Electric and Toxin need better incentives. But would I swap to other elements if I could? Yes, except for Cold because Heat is just better for everything it does (Heat = Cold Prime). Mid-game doesn't matter what element you chose and you can have fun with Electric more easily. Toxin is the best for gun play dps even if it is niche and indirect through reload rates (have you tried a sniper rifle that fires like a automatic... it is hilarious). As you move out into endgame and 'beyond' you need Heat simply because Chroma has nothing else to prevent damage reliably other than boosting eHp. Electric could see more use with a better shield recovery system (it would generally help the function of that Ward in particular as well). And switching to toxin when your allies lock down the area because you are gaining anything from the other 3 elements at that point. And you can make those decisions on the fly if you could swap.

so before all: DE has to get each element right. that should be THE MOST ESSENTIAL part of his rework. if thats not happening elemental swap wont help either.

I would say the "most essential" part of a rework right now would just be getting his 1 and 4 operational, swap or not. And a Passive.

• Like 2

as said - its all about the statistics. chroma is simply played too much to be an important rework contender. every squad uses him for eidolon fights. what DE simply doesnt get is that he has no real use out of that one thing. he is literally a one trick pony. but as long as people pick chroma for eidolon fights nothing will change. seriously i hope a new meta frame comes around that steals chroma the spotlight for eidolon fights. simply so chroma drops in pickrate and he finally gets the attention needed

i knew that. thats what the "whether it is all about the chart...." bit was about and me talking about taking a long break from chroma till the rework comes. 

but again they have mentioned before on returning to chroma for a better rework. yet they are more focused on those statistics they can't bother to pay attention to the players 2 feet infront of them (metaphorically) requesting a better rework for chroma.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, maddragonmaster said:

in my personal opinion they don't really care for chroma right now. heck they knew chroma prime was coming up and yet they rather work on nezha rather then the frame that is about to be primed. whether it is all about that chart they keep on looking at or not it still feels a little disappointing 

excuse me while i just bring harrow or some other frame thats good in eidolon. i'll pick up chroma again after rework.

I think that is the most ironic part. They openly said that they don't want eidolons one shotted. Yet we still have no problem one shotting eidolons with or without Chroma. A rhino + volt shields would easily 1 shot them. If they really didn't want eidolons one shotted, they could have just put on a damage gate like lephantis has.

Also they really did knee jerk that nerf. If they wanted Chroma to be more support, then they screwed up royally. How can anyone claim it was anything but when elemental ward has a 12m base radius and allies must be within range upon initial cast and stay within range (unless you have the augment) while vex armor has a 18m base range and can provide the buff as long as an ally is within the radius? They had the exact same duration because they were meant to work with each other. Now its as if DE just threw some mud at the wall to try to pass off the nerf as a 'buff'. It would have made more sense if they made the two at least have the same range and not this stupid 2 range system. As a Chroma, all you do is run around giving an aura, why would anyone think its a good idea to have his 2 core "support" abilities have different ranges?

• Like 2

DE just doesn't want to admit they screwed up with the Chroma nerfs. They cared more about their precious "end game" eidolons that they gutted Chroma because they didn't want their eidolons one shotted. In the same patch notes, they said that Chroma's bulk was not a problem. Even his damage wasn't a problem even though they left out the ACTUAL bug where vex buff would be applied multiple times to dual elemental damage like radiation.

Anyone remember syndicates when they first came out? The grind for standing was so terrible that people used radial jav excal, greedy pull mag, and EV trin just to get standing at a reasonable rate. DE then proceeded to nerf radial jav and greedy pull instead of fixing the actual problem. Thankfully they came to their senses and apologized after their huge mistake and made standing actually reasonable to get.

They would go on by saying that frames would not be nerfed just because of a single game mode. Yet Saryn basically only lives in ESO and was nerfed because of her strength there and Chroma was nerfed because of eidolons. Yet we still can easily one shot eidolons, with or without chroma.

Sometimes I feel like DE is just becoming yet another big name developer. Ones that really don't care about fixing their mistakes and would rather opt to ignore them as much as possible. If DE could just look at Chroma's play rate OUTSIDE of eidolons, there would be no doubt in anyone's mind that Chroma is in a horrid place.

Come on DE, even just reverting the armor calc on vex armor would be a MASSIVE step in the right direction.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, m0b1us1 said:

Yet we still can easily one shot eidolons, with or without chroma.

So it wasn't to deal with the accidental problem, but to correct the mistake they had left in the game but was made more important by the release of the new content?

Surely if they had meant to totally screw the players, they would have made sure he couldn't do it still, right?

They would go on by saying that frames would not be nerfed just because of a single game mode. Yet Saryn basically only lives in ESO and was nerfed because of her strength there and Chroma was nerfed because of eidolons. Yet we still can easily one shot eidolons, with or without chroma.

Almost as if they have a bigger priority to fix things when they see an odd amount of people picking X frame for a specific mission. That might make them take a look at something, no?

Sometimes I feel like DE is just becoming yet another big name developer.

Because they don't immediately revert anything people whine about loudly on the forums? The game would go nowhere. Just because your super critical, totally urgent, must fix problem isn't seen with the same severity by the devs, doesn't mean you are right about it.

It's not only the calculation... his entire kit is and was broken ever since his release.

That his defenses have been bigger was the only reason he was played at all.... now he's a subpar rhino in literally any regard.

Rather then fixing this one aspekt of his, it's time for him to recieve 4/4 usefull abilities if you ask me.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108
  • Like 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb ZodiacShinryu:

I would say the "most essential" part of a rework right now would just be getting his 1 and 4 operational, swap or not. And a Passive.

yes - elemental seitching would be nice but at its current state change nothing. DE should rework 1 and 4, maybe gove each element a proper use and then, if they add elemental swap, its fine with me. but its not 100% necessairy

• Like 2

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎14 at 9:59 PM, Aleksi134 said:

Also alot of great suggestions on posts made here.

There are some good suggestions, but there is a LOT of "please return my favourite cheese-frame to me". While it might seem that these are connected they really have very little in common. One group wants to make Chroma more interesting to play, the other want a "broken" OP frame back.

The OP group is easy to identify, they whine about DE's "über-nerf" of their beloved Chroma and usually claim to represent "the community" (btw, whenever someone in a forum makes themselves into a "spokesman for the community" you should just stop reading...).

The "make Chroma interesting again"-group have a lot of interesting suggestions. However, some are quite influenced by a subliminal want for "more OP". Others are lost in the "mental meta-lock"-land, the one where you claim to want something made more interesting but the real problem is that you won't even use existing interesting possibilities since they either are not meta enough or it isn't part of the current über-meta. Warframe is actually chockfull of all kinds of interesting possibilities, but of course you then have to sacrifice raw power (remove a power meta-mod, put in an interesting mod). We also have quite enough power to do this (its not like you would become "too weak" for any in-game content). That is why it is mainly a mental issue, since it is so hard for so many to " drop their maxed-out stats" in order to add something "different". And no, you can't have it both ways (= a lot of different interesting stuff with maxed-out power), that would just make everything bland.

The one thing DE has that nobody likes to acknowledge is all the stats from the game, what frames are used, what the builds are, the damage generated etc. From this follows that when DE "nerfs" something, there is probably a very good rational, mathematical reason for doing so. From this follows that any nerf-discussion consists of two blocks, one that "feels" the nerf wasn't needed and one that "knows" the nerf was needed (from a game-balancing, über-cheese viewpoint). And in a way the amount of gripe generated after such a nerf can be seen as proof that it really was needed (more gripe = more need for nerf).

The most unfortunate thing with nerfs is that the subsequent discussion creates a bias towards the nerfed equipment, actively spread by salty Tennos on different forums (who feel strongly that their goodies were removed by DE). This means that players who never even experienced the original OP version gets the impression that something is "bad", when in fact it is not (it is just not as OP as it was). This has happened time and time again in WF, and will continue to do so. The sad thing is that it is mostly wrong, and sometimes completely and utterly wrong. But players who don't know better still believe the BS.

It is also still part of the Chroma-narrative, you are hard put to find a Chroma-thread discussing his CURRENT build that doesn't include comparisons and/or gripes about "before the nerf". Who cares, that is truly water under bridge, of absolutely no importance to anyone interested in playing with the current Chroma. Hopefully the new prime will finally reduce the "things were better before"-crowd to a small minority, harking back to the "olden golden days" of the OP-broken Chroma.

Just for the record I am NOT arguing against a Chroma re-vamp, just definitely arguing against a Chroma re-OP.

Edited by Graavarg

It's almost funny to remember that they fixed long-standing QoL issues with tank Chroma having to constantly and carefully time recasts and manage bonuses.... at the same time that they gutted tank Chroma so thoroughly, it isn't worth using over other tanks even with the QoL changes.

The damage calculation can stay as-is, but the decision to "fix" armor calculation is misguided at best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graavarg said:

Just for the record I am NOT arguing against a Chroma re-vamp, just definitely arguing against a Chroma re-OP.

Such obvious and totally unnecessary post arent helping at all.

Chroma is in a bad position and it needs to be repaired asap. Even the "bring back the old version" is better than reinforcing DEs inability to solve the problem.

I think your intention wasnt bad but right now any message that is not "solve the thing asap" is conserving the current situation.

Please dont take it personal as it wasnt intended that way.

I think its irrelevant exactly how DE solves the problem - be it elemental change or redefine the failed support role. The important thing would be to start working on it and show progress pretty soon.

Edited by Csaszar
Misspelling
  • Like 2

I came with an idea to improve Chromas game play and theme of a dragon with minor changes to his abilities : 

Passive: Elemental Alignment, is the same i like the idea of an elemental dragon 
Spectral Scream :complete trash starting from 0,
chroma releases an elemental ball that goes in a straight direction hiting all the enemies in its path having 100% proc. while leaving an elemental trail that has 40/ 45/ 50/ 60% proc. (fire burns all the enemies that got hited by the ball deal fire dmg around  them similar to his 2 ability  , on cold all the targets hit by the ball get frozen and every other enemy that steps on the trail gets slowed, electric on ball hit will stun the enemy making them a tesla pillar that will dmg other enemies around while the enemy that step on the trail get only stuned, and on toxin all the eneiyes hited by the ball will start spreading toxin around them and the enemies that step on the trail get toxin proc. with out the spread effect , the spread effects will last from 1-2 seconds at base affected by duration and the dmg is the same as the trail) 
Dmg on the ball : 150/ 175/ 200/ 250
Trail dmg: 50/ 100/ 150/ 200
Duration: 5/ 6/ 7.5/ 10
2Elemental Ward :the same.
Vex Armor : the same.
4.Effigy: in stead of deploying a dragon like turret it summons a dragon pet with legs that moves around and fights/defends similar to Khoras Venari (cat) that fights a long side you but this time it has interactions with your abilities like when u shoot your 1 it will fire a second ball pointed at your target or when you use your second and 3d abilities they will be casted on the Effigy to ,this way giving him survivability and a dmg buff so he can deal some dmg him self  and a better cover of the buffs on team, he will have his own mod slots like Venari (pet)and at the same time his base stat are influenced by the warframe mods (like we have on the Mesa on her Peace Maker with waframe mods and pistol mods) 
DMG: elemental 100/ 200/ 300/ 400
Health: 200/ 250/ 300/ 350
Shield: 80/ 100/ 120/ 140
Crit chance: 15 %
Crit multiplier: 2.5 x
Status chance: 33 %

Recast duration 45/ 40/ 35/ 30 seconds 

and it can be revived like any pet .

I hope u like my idea , i'm not a chroma main but i love the idea of a dragon warframe but after i build-ed him i was very disapointed in him and i think there is room for improvement if u guys have any suggestions they are welcomed 🙂 

Edited by InfectedPhoenix
  • Like 1

I came with an idea to improve Chromas game play and theme of a dragon with minor changes to his abilities : 

Passive: Elemental Alignment, is the same i like the idea of an elemental dragon 
Spectral Scream :complete trash starting from 0,
chroma releases an elemental ball that goes in a straight direction hiting all the enemies in its path having 100% proc. while leaving an elemental trail that has 40/ 45/ 50/ 60% proc. (fire burns all the enemies that got hit by the ball deal fire dmg around  them similar to his 2 ability  , on cold all the targets hit by the ball get frozen and every other enemy that steps on the trail gets slowed, electric ball hit will stun the enemy making them a tesla pillar that will dmg other enemies around while the enemy that step on the trail get only stuned, and on toxin all the eneiyes hit by the ball will start spreading toxin around them and the enemies that step on the trail get toxin proc. with out the spread effect , the spread effects will last from 1-2 seconds at base affected by duration and the dmg is the same as the trail) 
Dmg on the ball : 150/ 175/ 200/ 250
Trail dmg: 50/ 100/ 150/ 200
Duration: 5/ 6/ 7.5/ 10
2Elemental Ward :the same.
Vex Armor : the same.
4.Effigy: in stead of deploying a dragon like turret it summons a dragon pet with legs that moves around and fights/defends similar to Khoras Venari (cat) that fights a long side you but this time it has interactions with your abilities like when u shoot your 1 it will fire a second ball pointed at your target or when you use your second and 3d abilities they will be casted on the Effigy to ,this way giving him survivability and a dmg buff so he can deal some dmg him self  and a better cover of the buffs on team, he will have his own mod slots like Venari (pet)and at the same time his base stat are influenced by the warframe mods (like we have on the Mesa on her Peace Maker with waframe mods and pistol mods) 
DMG: elemental 100/ 200/ 300/ 400
Health: 200/ 250/ 300/ 350
Shield: 80/ 100/ 120/ 140
Crit chance: 15 %
Crit multiplier: 2.5 x
Status chance: 33 %

Recast duration 45/ 40/ 35/ 30 seconds 

and it can be revived like any pet .

I hope u like my idea , i'm not a chroma main but i love the idea of a dragon warframe but after i build-ed him i was very disapointed in him and i think there is room for improvement if u guys have any suggestions they are welcomed 🙂 

13 minutes ago, Asphyxxia said:

I'm against reusing unique mechanics like you suggested for his 4 being like Venari however mimicing your abilities would be nice.

Also please fix your formatting, it's not pleasant to the eye...

yeah sure i fixed it , and its not really like venary is just the idea of a pet dragon that fights with u but it has different mechanics since this one has synergy's with all chromas abilities it works in tandem with the warframe not just jumps around and if it dyes u still have the other 3 abilities in the kit that u can use until the CD goes down cuz lets be honest his current 4 doesn't make any one think of a dragon it doesn't even look like one not even close and im open for suggestions i personally went for more of a Dragon Master theme here 

8 minutes ago, BiancaRoughfin said:

His 1 can deal over 20K/s if you have the proper build and buffs when casting it. His 4th skill acts like a totem, buffing nearby players and warding off enemies that get too close, benefiting from the same things his 1 does.

Why does he need a rework?

his 1 is highly short range and slows you down without allowing your range weapons making you a terribly easy target, his 4 actually does not buff nearby players, and is stationary so as soon as no enemies are even relativley close it becomes useless, and its power is inconsistent due to its AI making it a drain on energy and your armor for little gain. There's a reason both abilities are ignored.

Edit: On the topic of the thread, I don't really see the ultimate change being that useful. I made a similar thread with an ultimate change I feel better reflects his themes of dragon and adaptability

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1011527-chroma-the-adaptive-rework-idea/?tab=comments#comment-10169676

Edited by Omega-Shadowblade

13 hours ago, m0b1us1 said:

I think that is the most ironic part. They openly said that they don't want eidolons one shotted. Yet we still have no problem one shotting eidolons with or without Chroma. A rhino + volt shields would easily 1 shot them. If they really didn't want eidolons one shotted, they could have just put on a damage gate like lephantis has.

Also they really did knee jerk that nerf. If they wanted Chroma to be more support, then they screwed up royally. How can anyone claim it was anything but when elemental ward has a 12m base radius and allies must be within range upon initial cast and stay within range (unless you have the augment) while vex armor has a 18m base range and can provide the buff as long as an ally is within the radius? They had the exact same duration because they were meant to work with each other. Now its as if DE just threw some mud at the wall to try to pass off the nerf as a 'buff'. It would have made more sense if they made the two at least have the same range and not this stupid 2 range system. As a Chroma, all you do is run around giving an aura, why would anyone think its a good idea to have his 2 core "support" abilities have different ranges?

thats a main grip i have that shows up from time to time. you do not put a dragon themed ANYTHING in the support corner, dragons have nothing to do with support and they aren't that much friendly or helpful to support anything especially if they are the chromatic kind of dragons, they are greedy evil dragons, the kind that burns down villiages and hoards gold. i doubt a chromatic dragon would be willing to give a every day villager a buff or a magic weapon. it would be like giving an enemy the thing to kill it or something. if they do help then it is in their best interest.

oh and heres's a funny thing chroma= chromatic. 

Edited by maddragonmaster
  • Like 1

vor 14 Stunden schrieb m0b1us1:

well as you just said its volt + rhino. a combination of two frames... that not the same as one frame oneshotting everything. and yes you can still oneshot the eidolon with sniperrifles but before the fix it was possible with literally EVERY weapon. so i can understand that DE wants to limit the playerbase, so they actually have to think about what to pick for the fight. thats all fine with me.

but i am not saying chroma shouldnt get a rework. my problem with him currently is, that he is locked into such a thin playstyle. out of eidolon hunts his uses are rare and if i pick him for some type of mission i am picking him, because i want to use my old good friend. but sadly everytime i come to realize that its just boring. i am lierally recasting his 3 and shooting with my weapon... he needs broughter possibilities of use. atm its so narrow.

i have to say. this problem existed before the fix but back then the dmg output was so rediculous that it was fun seeing those enormous numbers pop up. now its just not special... yeah he is kinda tanky and yes he still does more dmg than other buffs... but i could just pick saryn, equinox, volt etc to deal more dmg or pick rhino, inaros etc for more surviveability. all those frames have a combination of abilities that makes them really fun to play. for chroma its just "press 3". they dont need to be the best abilities but atleast they make fun - eg volts speed boost. chroma just lacks in fun abilities atm. abilities you activate to have fun and a slight advantige. not nessecairely to destroy everything.

Edited by DeadlyCreation
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, peterc3 said:

So it wasn't to deal with the accidental problem, but to correct the mistake they had left in the game but was made more important by the release of the new content?

Surely if they had meant to totally screw the players, they would have made sure he couldn't do it still, right?

Almost as if they have a bigger priority to fix things when they see an odd amount of people picking X frame for a specific mission. That might make them take a look at something, no?

Because they don't immediately revert anything people whine about loudly on the forums? The game would go nowhere. Just because your super critical, totally urgent, must fix problem isn't seen with the same severity by the devs, doesn't mean you are right about it.

Uh no... the accidental problem was the fact that dual element damage was getting buffed multiple times and they outright said that chromas tankiness was not an issue, and his damage only became an issue when eidolons were released. 

DE said "At it's simplest, we don't want our eidolons one shotted". 

Yet there is still a dozen ways to one shot eidolons. So take that up with DE.

Your entire argument falls apart with the saryn rework and the syndicate launch. 

Immediately? Guess 6 months  (nerf happened in Feb. ) is urgent. He was already slated for a rework due to him being half a frame. Yet the nerf just shoved him from a solid tank frame to an over glorified aura machine that just runs around in eidolon hunts buffing allies.

6 months and not only is NOTHING corrected, but now they have openly stated several times that there is NOTHING for chroma. Not even a vex armor (not damage) buff revert.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DeadlyCreation said:

well as you just said its volt + rhino. a combination of two frames... that not the same as one frame oneshotting everything. and yes you can still oneshot the eidolon with sniperrifles but before the fix it was possible with literally EVERY weapon. so i can understand that DE wants to limit the playerbase, so they actually have to think about what to pick for the fight. thats all fine with me.

but i am not saying chroma shouldnt get a rework. my problem with him currently is, that he is locked into such a thin playstyle. out of eidolon hunts his uses are rare and if i pick him for some type of mission i am picking him, because i want to use my old good friend. but sadly everytime i come to realize that its just boring. i am lierally recasting his 3 and shooting with my weapon... he needs broughter possibilities of use. atm its so narrow.

i have to say. this problem existed before the fix but back then the dmg output was so rediculous that it was fun seeing those enormous numbers pop up. now its just not special... yeah he is kinda tanky and yes he still does more dmg than other buffs... but i could just pick saryn, equinox, volt etc to deal more dmg or pick rhino, inaros etc for more surviveability. all those frames have a combination of abilities that makes them really fun to play. for chroma its just "press 3". they dont need to be the best abilities but atleast they make fun - eg volts speed boost. chroma just lacks in fun abilities atm. abilities you activate to have fun and a slight advantige. not nessecairely to destroy everything.

"At it's simplest, we don't want our eidolons one shotted"

That is what DE used as justification for nerfing chroma. All I am saying is that is a pure scape goat as several other frames can do it, and all of them if you use Madurai void strike. If DE truly meant that, then they would have at least given them a damage gate.

• Like 4

Gerade eben schrieb m0b1us1:

"At it's simplest, we don't want our eidolons one shotted"

That is what DE used as justification for nerfing chroma. All I am saying is that is a pure scape goat as several other frames can do it, and all of them if you use Madurai void strike. If DE truly meant that, then they would have at least given them a damage gate.

dmg gates are way worse. i hate knowing i deal more dmg but applying less. imo its good how they did it. also i think vex armor is fine but chroma needs something else. is dmg output is good. is surviveability is mediocre. so imo that should bring that up on the same level as the dmg. maybe the armor boost for chroma prime makes a difference. but i doubt its enough.

1 hour ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

his 1 is highly short range and slows you down without allowing your range weapons making you a terribly easy target, his 4 actually does not buff nearby players, and is stationary so as soon as no enemies are even relativley close it becomes useless, and its power is inconsistent due to its AI making it a drain on energy and your armor for little gain. There's a reason both abilities are ignored.

Edit: On the topic of the thread, I don't really see the ultimate change being that useful. I made a similar thread with an ultimate change I feel better reflects his themes of dragon and adaptability

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1011527-chroma-the-adaptive-rework-idea/?tab=comments#comment-10169676

honestly man i like ur idea now lets combine ur Spectral Scream with mine so it absorbs the dmg then spills out an elemental ball ,and the 4th can use the same idea like it locks him self in a stance to absorb the dmg after witch eh unleashes the pet dragon of witch health and dmg stats depend on how much dmg he absorbed fighting along side you while mimicing chromas 2 and 3 ,and the 2 elemental switch on the fly is great , just imagine how awesome that would be ❤️ a true dragon master