Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Speedrunning Problem

(XBOX)Erudite Prime

8 hours ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

Has anyone an idea how to find a final solution for the speedruning question?

Seeing as the game is called Warframe and not "Squirrel-Simulator 2019 - ADHD Edition" I am always pissed when people just race through the level at breakneck speed.
I can barely get my secondary objective done, let alone open a few lockers or scan ceph fragments even though I am sprinting all the time.

I was thinking of the following:
In a non defense/intercept mission the game calculates the shortest route from start to finish and divides it by each frames sprinting speed. If a player arrives at extraction faster than that AND faster than another player by 20s (that can be tweaked) then it is speedrunning and the punishment is playing the next 10 missions under permanent cold proc.

What do you guys think?

Lol. Well its nice in theory.

I get annoyed when high-rank players blitz a mission, leaving me little or nothing to do and I wish there were some kind of matchmaking, that put all speed-grinders together and more laid-back players together in teams.

Maybe the speed-runners would then understand our frustration when they get "gazumped" by players even faster than them? Or maybe they'd just be happy at being able to move onto the next mission even quicker, who knows?

However, they are entitled to play the game however they want and I don't see any easy solution to this problem.

22 minutes ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Lol. Well its nice in theory.

I get annoyed when high-rank players blitz a mission, leaving me little or nothing to do and I wish there were some kind of matchmaking, that put all speed-grinders together and more laid-back players together in teams.

Maybe the speed-runners would then understand our frustration when they get "gazumped" by players even faster than them? Or maybe they'd just be happy at being able to move onto the next mission even quicker, who knows?

However, they are entitled to play the game however they want and I don't see any easy solution to this problem.

Why not solo the mission? I frequently solo missions when I want to do my own thing. Void runs for mods - solo. Syndicate missions I want to speed run - solo. Farming Simaris rep/targets - solo.

Exterminations/Captures/Sabotages/Rescues are always going to be run as fast as the player can manage. Some players can just run those missions faster than you. 

When I first started I soloed most of the star chart, save defenses, interceptions, and bosses, so I could get a better feel for the game and go at my own pace. 

Edited by KosmicKerman

Ridiculous suggestion. Why should I spend more time than necessary on a mission I'll have to repeat running ad absurdum to get what I want?

I get pissed by people who dally around and I have to wait a minute. Those should get banned from doing the mission for an hour.

See? BS goes both ways.

You could also just solo if it annoys you, the option is there. Why not just do that? Too scary?

Edited by Leland_Gaunt
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Leland_Gaunt said:

I get pissed by people who dally around and I have to wait a minute. 

Right?  We already get actively punished for being fast.  1 minute adds up when you've played a long time... I would wager it happens half the time since I'm a speed demon... I've complete 6644 missions according to my profile... halve that at 3322 minutes of pure waiting... that's 55 hours wasted over time.... over 2 days of my time spent in-game waiting at extraction for slowpokes to catch up or stop opening every crate along the way.  Even if we went for a more conservative estimate of it happening only 1/4 of the time... it would still be over a day of my life spent waiting at the end of missions... and there's people out there who eclipse me by 1000s of missions and hours in the game.  

The problem is there's a huge subset of the community who has no value for other people's time because they feel it infringes on their fun.  OP baiting though.  

Edited by (PS4)lagrue

7 minutes ago, (PS4)lagrue said:

Right?  We already get actively punished for being fast.  1 minute adds up when you've played a long time... I would wager it happens half the time... I've complete 6644 missions according to my profile... halve that at 3322 minutes of pure waiting... that's 55 hours wasted over time.... over 2 days of my time spent in-game waiting at extraction for slowpokes to catch up or stop opening every crate along the way.

The problem is there's a huge subset of the community who has no value for other people's time because they feel it infringes on their fun.  OP baiting though.  

Exactly the same argument applies to people like you though.

Seriously - do you read what you write? Your "time is money" attitude is what makes gaming communities toxic, with so many treating games like a job, where everything has to be done as fast as possible.

Then you start getting salty with people who have the temerity to play games...FOR FUN...(gasp, shock, horror etc.) and who don't care about hitting targets, speed-grinding, or getting the latest frames / weapons / whatever ASAP (just so they can wave their e-peens and show off how awesome they are).

I get that different people have different ideas about the concept of fun, but having people raging at you in chat because you're "holding them up & wasting their time" is not what I play games for.

Edited by FlusteredFerret
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Well 1, I have never spoken to somebody in chat about it - I just let it happen.  Don't mix me in with people who get toxic about it.  I've actively allowed those kinds of people to cost me that much time and never been too fussed about it, never even thought about all the time lost until this very thread. 

I don't rush for e-peen or any of that nonsense you're trying to pin on me right now.... in fact you're the one being toxic.   You just made up a bunch of issues you have with other people and then attributed them to me because I dared to say I value my time over somebody else's idea of fun.  Just like they value their fun over my time.  It does go both ways, I never said or even implied it didn't.... in fact I actively suggested it did.  

I play games for fun too, but I recognize this game is 1000s of hours long and after a while it's not always fun to slowpoke your way through the missions when there's no benefit to you, and this is the price we pay for being able to have people in public games - sometimes you do what I don't like, sometimes I do what you don't like. 

The thing is I've never tried to levy a punishment towards the other end of the spectrum - which is what OP (even if baiting) is explicitly asking for.

The only people toxic are the ones who can't grasp that and need to project their volatility about it in the form of rants about what's "making communities toxic" "epeen" and whatever other garbage you're spouting off about.  

Edited by (PS4)lagrue
  • Like 1

Speedrunning is a symptom of game design which let players rush the mission. This game is grindy and all what you do is grind so most of the time some peoples tend to rush the game in order to get some fun from other missions but in my mind this is basically skipping the meaning of this game. I can understand this too because the game itself not gives other fun than killing mobs and if you wish to farm some stuff then you need to repeat it because it is the only way to get what you want without pay. 

I personally a looter type of person so I tend to stay and loot everything from the map so for me that is not problem if need to stay more. The problem on public if you do this and not following the rest then you claimed afker or leecher despite the fact if you far away then impossible to leech money-xp because you are out of the range.

The best option what you can do is searching for specific groups or ask persons in your game time maybe they share the same idea of playing.

Sometimes it is better to loot because in alert missions or specific game modes you have better chance to loot and the loot quality become better. Missions whom not gives so much option to loot or earn xp you skip them or do it once then say goodbye. If I have the mood I personally going to replay these missions but nowadays I am just log in log off and play a little time. I have a lot to do outside of warframe now so my gaming time is reduced a bit so I can avoid to be bored.

So the best is what I said and you search for players with the same mindset. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

Seriously - do you read what you write? Your "time is money" attitude is what makes gaming communities toxic, with so many treating games like a job, where everything has to be done as fast as possible.

Then you start getting salty with people who have the temerity to play games...FOR FUN...(gasp, shock, horror etc.) and who don't care about hitting targets, speed-grinding, or getting the latest frames / weapons / whatever ASAP (just so they can wave their e-peens and show off how awesome they are).

I get that different people have different ideas about the concept of fun, but having people raging at you in chat because you're "holding them up & wasting their time" is not what I play games for.

Agreed.

• Like 7

Wait, did I missed one of the “speed runners are bad” threads again? 😞

Aaaaanyway:

1. Floor is bad. Step on it as little as possible.

2. Gravity is a nuisance, not the law of physics, ok?

3. Why walk then you can fly?

Edited by rand0mname

It really annoys me too when folks don't align with my own gaming objectives and philosophies.  What I do is keep a simple Excel spreadsheet.  I enter the names of every player that I come across and add or subtract points based on various criteria.  If a player drops below a certain threshold then I PM them asking that they imagine that I just threw a squishy old tomato at their head.  Then I instantly ignore them to avoid confrontation and increase their feelings of confusion.  I invite you to try out my method.

Edited by --Q--Merchant

Gonna take this a bit seriously. 

No punishment for them. It's a legitimate gameplay style, regardless of how annoying it is to the rest of us. In fact, them having to wait there at extract until the timer runs out or the last guy gets there is enough. Nothing worse for a cocaine bunny then having to sit still for a minute and *gasp* be patient. The horror. 

Basically, get used to it. Mostly just stop caring. If there's a guy raging in squad chat about people being slow, ignore them. Usually they say "go fast or go solo" when in fact those going fast are more equipped to go solo and thus it should be "go slow or go solo" Practically I suggest you build yourself up so you can solo everything except the special edge cases like Sorties, ESO and Arbitration. That's what I do. I can solo basically everything but I choose to run endless missions as public because it gives the AI other things to shoot at and also lets me mooch off of shared affinity. 

I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of the rushing style. I get why it exists. But my mentality just doesn't match up with that style at all. I am in the game to fight, I LOVE to bash into a group of enemies and use melee combos, go Wick with my guns and so on. I want the rewards, but I enjoy the core gameplay just as much, if not more. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

Seeing as the game is called Warframe and not "Squirrel-Simulator 2019 - ADHD Edition" I am always pissed when people just race through the level at breakneck speed.
I can barely get my secondary objective done, let alone open a few lockers or scan ceph fragments even though I am sprinting all the time.

In a non defense/intercept mission the game calculates the shortest route from start to finish and divides it by each frames sprinting speed. If a player arrives at extraction faster than that AND faster than another player by 20s (that can be tweaked) then it is speedrunning and the punishment is playing the next 10 missions under permanent cold proc.

What do you guys think?

I think you should either speed up or make a team.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, (XB1)Erudite God said:

What do you guys think?

I developed a solution to that very issue about 3 years ago when I first started.  I made sure that the game was set to and stayed on solo mode.  When I felt that I had the hang of things, I joined a clan.  Grouped with like minded people a few times before going back solo.  

I do this because when a friend first Introduced the game to me, I was really annoyed that he would rush ahead and not give me time to even look at the surroundings.  He was like that because for him it was stuff he had seen before.  Where as I hadn't and wanted to.  Interestingly enough he stopped playing before he got halfway in the Starchart while I continued at my own pace solo and passed him.  

Simply put, solo if you want to EXPERIENCE the game instead of just blazing through missing details.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DatDarkOne said:

I developed a solution to that very issue about 3 years ago when I first started.  I made sure that the game was set to and stayed on solo mode.  When I felt that I had the hang of things, I joined a clan.  Grouped with like minded people a few times before going back solo.  

I do this because when a friend first Introduced the game to me, I was really annoyed that he would rush ahead and not give me time to even look at the surroundings.  He was like that because for him it was stuff he had seen before.  Where as I hadn't and wanted to.  Interestingly enough he stopped playing before he got halfway in the Starchart while I continued at my own pace solo and passed him.  

Simply put, solo if you want to EXPERIENCE the game instead of just blazing through missing details.  

I was able to experience the game while teaming, I simply ran with a premade group of people. 

The longer I played, the faster I became at looting but I still have a moderately paced progress through a tileset.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dreadgame said:

Ever met a wall, knockdowns, claustrophobic mission maps?

Yes thats when i dodge roll back and continue as normal

or crouch and used my sprinting level crouch speed to move around like a scuttling crab of doom with a shot gun

Edited by seprent

Some will always be faster than others regardless of any restriction you place on players. This is true for all games. Speed is a variable that is nigh impossible to control since it's affected by so many factors. I bet you that even with a constant cold proc, that some players would still be able to outrun a lot of other players, since speed is more based off of not just having the right mods and gear but also having a good enough understanding about the parkour system and map knowledge. I don't see a problem with it.

You get faster with practice. If you really want to find fragments and such then do so, just know that you will fall behind, that simple. And on the other hand if your flying through the mission while running with slow players, just know that you'll have to wait a bit longer to extract. It's just how it is. For me, I tend to speed through missions cause well, most of the stuff I pick up during those short missions are pretty much useless to me. The only thing I'm going after is given to me at the end screen, so the faster I finish the mission, the faster I can potentially get what I want. However, if I'm going to be looking for stuff like syndicate medallions and such I go solo. Simple as that.

Also, I would like to add that speed running IS part of experiencing the game. It may not be an aspect that you enjoy, but others get a kick out of it. there is something fun about trying to see just how fast you can complete something.

Edited by nickelshark

4 hours ago, dreadgame said:

Ever met a wall, knockdowns, claustrophobic mission maps?

When you do it enough 

a) you learn to avoid them by practice 

or 

b) you get good enough to dodge them all

for example I can do capture missions in the void in under 30s

EDIT: normally I don’t (except for relic farming for that sweet Mesa prime) just using this as an example

Edited by Littlemike137

9 hours ago, Lakais said:

Gonna take this a bit seriously. 

No punishment for them. It's a legitimate gameplay style, regardless of how annoying it is to the rest of us. In fact, them having to wait there at extract until the timer runs out or the last guy gets there is enough. Nothing worse for a cocaine bunny then having to sit still for a minute and *gasp* be patient. The horror. 

Basically, get used to it. Mostly just stop caring. If there's a guy raging in squad chat about people being slow, ignore them. Usually they say "go fast or go solo" when in fact those going fast are more equipped to go solo and thus it should be "go slow or go solo" Practically I suggest you build yourself up so you can solo everything except the special edge cases like Sorties, ESO and Arbitration. That's what I do. I can solo basically everything but I choose to run endless missions as public because it gives the AI other things to shoot at and also lets me mooch off of shared affinity. 

I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of the rushing style. I get why it exists. But my mentality just doesn't match up with that style at all. I am in the game to fight, I LOVE to bash into a group of enemies and use melee combos, go Wick with my guns and so on. I want the rewards, but I enjoy the core gameplay just as much, if not more. 

This is good. Then we are same in mentality.

• Like 1