Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How exactly does Lephantis taking damage work?

TARINunit9

Question

Despite being absolutely LOADED with corrosive damage, my squad were doing piddling damage to Lephantis in tonight's sortie. I start to experiment mid-fight (I'm Bless Trin, I can do that in style; plus I was out of Vectis ammo) and pull out my Archgun just to see what kind of numbers I'm getting. I can see the crits clearly and... it's really weird. Some pellets are dealing 69 damage, some 149, and some lucky pellets are dealing 519 damage.

To clarify, these are the variables I was controlling: this was against Infested Ancient only, who was at full armor strip. Also those were only the Crit values, I left out the non-crit values (they were like 40 anyway)

It's usually a long string of 69's let's round it up to 70 so we can stop snickering. It's usually a long string of 70s before a few 150s slip in, only for me to suddenly see like three or four 520s in a row

I assume this is related to the Juggernaut DPS Cap mechanic, but I don't understand how my gun's damage could be fluctuating seemingly second to second

you dont use high dmg weapons or status stuff, you use crit gear that fires quickly to get round the fact the dmg you deal gets capped which is why you want weapons similar to the tenora or better yet, titania in pixie form tears lephantis apart pretty easily and her drones work well to take aggro off you and the team.

2 hours ago, (PS4)OriginalEquinox said:

He generally takes less damage since he's a boss but you want high slash weapons with radiation for best results as far as I'm aware

Lephantis is heavily resistant to radiation. Definitely don’t take radiation damage. 

Corrosive, blast and slash in that order. Although as above you are probably best with high crit damage. 

I’m pretty sure that the Sortie one is far far tougher than the standard one and just turns into a bit of a bullet sponge. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Despite being absolutely LOADED with corrosive damage, my squad were doing piddling damage to Lephantis in tonight's sortie.

Thats because Lephantis is one of the few, if not the only, Enemy in the game thats weak to Blast Damage.... atleast thats what I read somewhere. 

In any case whether you're doing a sortie or just farming regular Lephantis then having a Slowva In your team would help move things alot faster since one of the heads constantly has its weak spot covered.... in My case I brought Harrow with Zenurik's Temporal Blast.... it made for easy pickings.

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

Thats because Lephantis is one of the few, if not the only, Enemy in the game thats weak to Blast Damage.... atleast thats what I read somewhere. 

In any case whether you're doing a sortie or just farming regular Lephantis then having a Slowva In your team would help move things alot faster since one of the heads constantly has its weak spot covered.... in My case I brought Harrow with Zenurik's Temporal Blast.... it made for easy pickings.

Believe it or not you actually want to bring a speedva and temporal blast. The reason for this is that using a slowva makes the heads stay underground for longer while you twiddle your thumbs. You should be able to kill each head in 1 go as they pop up if you do it right.

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

Lephantis has the same armour as Ancients do, it's a infested flesh that is weak to corrosive and slash, not blast. Whoever told you that was mis-informed. In fact if you remove all the armour with 4 CP, the actual best damage type vs Lephantis is Radiation. Tested last Plague Star.

Edited by Zilchy

Lephantis has three different mechanics other than armour

- innate DR

- differential damage zones

- per pellet damage cap

You basically need to aim dead center of the zones to do decent damage, the more you devuate the less damage you deal. It has 3 zones per weakspot iirc. 

The innate DR can't be fought. 

The other mechanic makes snipers and other non-shotguns high damage per shot guns terrible for tackling him. One of the best guns for him if you can fly close to its heads is the Pyrana Prime, combining slash damage, high crit ratio, damage spread over both high RoF and high pellet count. 

The 2nd best choice, and a much easier one, is a Razorwing Blitz build for Titania. It shreds him in seconds. Titania also has the perk of being incredible at speedrunning the Plague Star Hemocyte and, with the right team, Eidolons. 

2 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

Lephantis has the same armour as Ancients do, it's a infested flesh that is weak to corrosive and slash, not blast. Whoever told you that was mis-informed. In fact if you remove all the armour with 4 CP, the actual best damage type vs Lephantis is Radiation. Tested last Plague Star.

Actually, yeah he does have fossilized armor (same as ancients), but it IS weak to CORROSIVE (75%), BLAST (50%) and Slash (25%)... Radiation actually does 75% LESS damage vs him, making it the WORSE damage type vs lephantis.

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Lephantis

6 minutes ago, ReaverKane said:

Actually, yeah he does have fossilized armor (same as ancients), but it IS weak to CORROSIVE (75%), BLAST (50%) and Slash (25%)... Radiation actually does 75% LESS damage vs him, making it the WORSE damage type vs lephantis.

That's the word I wanted, fossilized, thank you. 
That's weird it didn't during Plague Star. But that's with 4 CP aura I was meaning.

6 hours ago, Methanoid said:

the fact the dmg you deal gets capped

2 hours ago, Zilchy said:

Because he has a damage per bullet limit

You two wouldn't happen to have the formula used by the game, would you? That's kind of what I was asking for this whole time, and then the thread got filled up with a discussion about which element he's weak to. Which I totally should have seen coming, but now that I'm awake I can clarify my actual question

2 hours ago, Autongnosis said:

You basically need to aim dead center of the zones to do decent damage, the more you devuate the less damage you deal. It has 3 zones per weakspot iirc. 

19 minutes ago, aswitz87 said:

He is as far as I know the only boss with this feature.  His weakspots have Zones, with the center providing the most damage and the further from it you get is less.

Oh this is interesting. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of these weakpoints, would you?

Edited by TARINunit9

1 minute ago, TARINunit9 said:

Oh this is interesting. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of these weakpoints, would you?

I don’t have one that specifies the zones perfectly (like which area is the most damage).  But the pink areas that are usually covered are general weak areas.

The center of the corpus head in the mouth, the bulging center area of the winged one when they open, and the smiley face on the neck of the one with the scythe all give higher damage than the edges of those areas.  And it is somewhat consistent if you can hit the same area.  And of course the grey body gives you bubkis.

is pretty indepth as always, mentions all info required.

mentions the damage cap as well as the part about weak spots.

Each of Lephantis' heads is completely immune to damage except on their pink weak spots, which are only revealed when they attack. The Corpus head's weak spot is its mouth, the Ancient head's weak spot is its neck, and the Grineer head has two weak spots - the mouth and the "face", with the latter taking increased damage. Throughout the fight, the heads will emerge from the ground in intervals and attack, allowing players to hit them.

Lephantis has a very large health pool and is immune to status effects. In addition, Lephantis has a mechanic which caps the amount of damage players can do per shot. These factors can result in some weapons having ammo issues due to the potential length of the fight.

Edited by Methanoid

8 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

You two wouldn't happen to have the formula used by the game, would you? That's kind of what I was asking for this whole time, and then the thread got filled up with a discussion about which element he's weak to. Which I totally should have seen coming, but now that I'm awake I can clarify my actual question

Hey so I don't know if it's altered for Lephantis Sortie level but the standard lephantis boss on the solar map has a max damage per hit of 700. Now whether that takes into account crits I am not sure. It's likely this is scaled up for Sortie levels. As for the weakpoints, if you use the Simaris mod to further scan him you can see the weakpoints but essentially there's 2 damage zones, one when the weakpoint isn't open and one when it is and you'll see the different damage numbers if you test this.

Edited by Zilchy

31 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

Hey so I don't know if it's altered for Lephantis Sortie level but the standard lephantis boss on the solar map has a max damage per hit of 700. Now whether that takes into account crits I am not sure. It's likely this is scaled up for Sortie levels. As for the weakpoints, if you use the Simaris mod to further can see the weakpoints but essentially there's 2 damage zones, one when the weakpoint isn't open and one when it is and you'll the different damage numbers if you test this.

700, thank you, that is interesting

13 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

700, thank you, that is interesting

I typically hit for about 550 per bullet in sorties. Lephantis doesn't actually have a high health value, in sorties they just scale up his armour so you have more trouble hitting the damage cap. Hence why a pyrana prime plus damage buff and double arcane velocity can tear him a new one. When I finish work for the day I'll put up the run I did as a short video, you'll be able to see the 2 different numbers coming off him because I fire before and after the weakpoint is exposed to save time.

Edited by Zilchy

28 minutes ago, Zilchy said:

I typically hit for about 550 per bullet in sorties. Lephantis doesn't actually have a high health value, in sorties they just scale up his armour so you have more trouble hitting the damage cap. Hence why a pyrana prime plus damage buff and double arcane velocity can tear him a new one. When I finish work for the day I'll put up the run I did as a short video, you'll be able to see the 2 different numbers coming off him because I fire before and after the weakpoint is exposed to save time.

Looking forward to it

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Zilchy:

Lephantis doesn't actually have a high health value, in sorties they just scale up his armour so you have more trouble hitting the damage cap.

Lephantis doesn't has armor. Only the Hemocyte in Plague Star has armor. Just look in the Codex or on the wiki.

A Good DPS is Titania with her Razor Blitz argument for faster Fireing speed. I also build a Kitgun that isn't Bad:

Chamber: Rattleguts

Loader:Stitch

Grip: Gibber

With the Pax Charge arcane you don't have any ammo Problems. But the Gun fires so fast you can unload a hole magazine in one go. As others have said temporal Blast from Zenurik really helps to slow down the heads.