Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Show MR on Forum

Almagnus1

On 2019-05-11 at 11:50 PM, BansheePrime said:

I’d rather not know how much I’ve spent.

That can also backfire, as I have probably spent less on plat than others, mostly because I figured out how to do the warframe futures on warframe.market.

Although, I'm starting to suspect that I need to dump those as with the continual prime vault openings, the values of the vaulted warframes is probably going to go down... =/

On 2019-05-12 at 10:19 AM, Benour said:

There should be in mission time, MR or forum rep doesnt mean anything. 

mission time also doesn't mean anything... think of all the afk players. no, forum rep is the best indicator of all them - if you really need ANY indicator at all to decide about the worth of a post. and that might only be usefull for certain topics where you have a hard time to judge something as seriously meant or as a joke (or trolling attempt).

e.g. the OP of this here thread: he claims it's 'only' for cosmetic reasons... well, he might think this way, who am i to know how his mind work? but he fails to look past his nose to see the problems that arises with such a cosmetic option - therefore the many negative replies to it. OR, he just wanted to make a controversial thread (aka: trolling) just for the giggles or maybe to earn reputation from others who would like this idea...

at the very least he shouldn't be suprised about the opinions of others - and ofc, he should have put his idea into a better wording than he did - for it sure sounds more like he wanted to show of... which, btw, would also be the case with an idea of test-995 about the money spend (though i guess it was meant ironically)

21 minutes ago, fr4gb4ll said:

he should have put his idea into a better wording than he did

When I have exhaustively gone over ideas, there's almost no discussion.  When I write as little needed to get the idea across, more discussion occurs.

You gotta know your audience.

On 2019-05-10 at 11:44 PM, Almagnus1 said:

So you're saying that they don't already do that with post and rep count?

Only when there is a huge discrepancy between number of posts and reputation, like 1,000 posts with sub 200 rep.

And even then it could just be nobody ever noticed the poster, hell I'm amazed that anyone ever votes my garbage I call posts up.

Would rather the forum profile disclose whether the poster is a) an employee, contractor or other affiliate of DE, b) family or friends of an employee, contractor or other affiliate of DE.

That ain't gonna happen of course, but one can dream :)

22 minutes ago, Buttaface said:

Would rather the forum profile disclose whether the poster is a) an employee, contractor or other affiliate of DE, b) family or friends of an employee, contractor or other affiliate of DE.

That ain't gonna happen of course, but one can dream 🙂

Eh, I'd rather let them keep that status as private as it is helpful for them to be incognito as it gives DE a better player perspective as everyone's behavior towards a DE poster changes when they know it's a DE poster vs when it doesn't.

37 minutes ago, Almagnus1 said:

Eh, I'd rather let them keep that status as private as it is helpful for them to be incognito as it gives DE a better player perspective as everyone's behavior towards a DE poster changes when they know it's a DE poster vs when it doesn't.

Would rather not have all the white-knighting and shilling that goes on than allow them some marginal perspective.

I am not sure this will achieve much, but I also do not see how it is any different than the current rep system. 

What's more important and impacts your merit in a post? 

Your ability to stay in hydron or your ability to state popular opinions? 

On 2019-05-11 at 1:42 PM, Almagnus1 said:

And I'd like to have a title on my forum avatar that actually means something to me.  Just because you don't want to have your rank shown, doesn't mean others would like to see it.

The point is that even with MR it will STILL mean nothing. In game, MR is already a poor representation of skill or effort or even amount of time played. If anything, I'd rather in-game time be listed in that spot, but even that doesn't detract from someone else's post who has lower in-game time.

Even an MR 0 with a total of 30 minutes of in-game time can give apt feedback on something everyone else may not see anymore due to the numbness of adapting to constant changes and updates over the years. We learn to ignore certain things and forget how much of a pain it might've actually been until we got used to it.

New perspectives should always be valued, and even the forum count now already sways the readers' first impression of a post or comment before they read it. MR would not improve that.

Edited by (PS4)Ozymandias-13-
punctuation.

On 2019-05-11 at 9:32 PM, Pizzarugi said:

For example, if you complain about press-4-to-win frames like Saryn or Mesa trivializing the game, or how Maiming Strike and Blood Rush combo makes weapons like the Atterax a broken beyblade weapon, your feedback probably has more weight if you actually played with them which is reflected by your MR.

None of what you brought up is reflected in MR. I'm MR21 and I've never played Saryn not spent much time using either Mesa or the Atterax. My opinion on them is just as worthless as someone at MR4 first starting to explore the meat of the game, yet your approach would allow me to pretend to know what I'm talking about just because I levelled up a bunch of throwaway melee weapons without actually using them. The same goes for hours spent in the game, money spent, post count, rep count and so on. Automated metrics only create the illusion of weight to a poster's comments. Whether actual weight exists or not is still often a toss-up. If you want an actual, productive discussion then judge posters by the contents of their posts rather than the metrics next to their name.

On 2019-05-11 at 7:02 AM, Almagnus1 said:

I'd like to be able to show what MR as part of the information displayed with my forum avatar.  A simple change, and I'd much rather have the MR rank's name as my title rather than whatever the forum title happens to be.

While I'm not opposed to optionally showing your MR as a cosmetic addition, it's not as simple as that. In theory, people could just hide their MR if they don't want to be judged by it, but that tends to open up a can of worms. "Why are you hiding it? What do you have to hide? I don't trust you! I need to know your stats in order to judge your worth!" When Overwatch added the option of making one's account private, plenty of people complained that they could no longer snob their team-mates for having poor win rates and harassed others in-game for "hiding." Payday 2 has had the same issue dating back years, where people with private Steam profiles got kicked out of lobbies not for any particular reason, but because "If you're hiding your achievements, you're probably a cheater!"

That's a no from me. MR more now than ever is meaningless. People rush MR ranks and never learn much about the game sitting in a corner on Hydron. Points which are currently shown are even worse since it only take a few hot BS topics to have more points than someone who knows more about the game. It's all just an EGO status and doesn't help the conversions. 

2 hours ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

Heh, this entire thread, and the arguments it's causing, is exactly the example of why no game-stats other than your Join Date are displayed in the Forums.

Actually, that's not true.  The join date on your forum profile is the date the forum account was activated, not the account.

So there are no in game stats displayed on your forum profile, at all.

22 hours ago, fr4gb4ll said:

mission time also doesn't mean anything... think of all the afk players. no, forum rep is the best indicator of all them - if you really need ANY indicator at all to decide about the worth of a post. and that might only be usefull for certain topics where you have a hard time to judge something as seriously meant or as a joke (or trolling attempt).

This, right here?  This is why I don't want rep count shown below our profile icons.  My rep count has nothing to do with the quality of my posts.  It shouldn't have any bearing on someones response to my post, ever.

Ideas like this lead to rep farming topics.

Edited by MagPrime

12 minutes ago, DBArcAngel said:

I'd ask for advice from someone whom has a lot of time invested in something over someone who has more points.

I wouldn't mind a time played option.

But having links to our ingame profiles wouldn't be a bad thing either.  Allow us to pick which stats get shown though, and only on the actual profile, not the Icon or the mouse-over quick view.

• Like 1

This, right here?  This is why I don't want rep count shown below our profile icons.  My rep count has nothing to do with the quality of my posts.  It shouldn't have any bearing on someones response to my post, ever.

Yet we both know that it does.

Edited by Almagnus1

14 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

Which is why I suggest having it only visible on the main profile page. 

TBH, I'd be fine with an avatar icon for my MR rank.  Just because you don't want it as easily accessible (or visible at all), doesn't mean others don't want to show it.

1 minute ago, Almagnus1 said:

TBH, I'd be fine with an avatar icon for my MR rank.  Just because you don't want it as easily accessible (or visible at all), doesn't mean others don't want to show it.

You've missed the point I was trying to make, over multiple posts.  But, whatever.  I guess jumping on other people who don't agree implicitly is the only thing left to keep the topic going.

4 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

You've missed the point I was trying to make, over multiple posts.  But, whatever.  I guess jumping on other people who don't agree implicitly is the only thing left to keep the topic going.

What, that some people are going to be mislead by whatever information is in the avatar, and you think it would be best to shove all that information into the forum profile?

I honestly think that most people worth engaging with are a little more smarter than what you're suggesting.

Just now, Almagnus1 said:

What, that some people are going to be mislead by whatever information is in the avatar, and you think it would be best to shove all that information into the forum profile?

I honestly think that most people worth engaging with are a little more smarter than what you're suggesting.

On an individual level, sure.  But you don't exactly pick and choose who you talk to on the Forums, short of excessive use of the block feature.