The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

what's the point of Nekros (serious)?

Ikyr0

It is easy enough to say he is a loot frame meant to make the most out of a slot.

Say, you already have a Trinity and Saryn. What do you want to add? Nothing good will come from competing with the Saryn and you don't need more defense buffs. Sure, maybe a Gara to layer some defense for everyone with Trin and keep the Saryn alive.

Last slot? Might as well get some loot...

24 minutes ago, MSEP1 said:

All three of those have inconveniences. Hydroid’s isn’t super reliable, affects a small area, is active slow casting,  and has a limited number of affected enemies. Khora is similar with a lower drop rate. Ivara is slow and affects only one enemy at a time in a short range. Nekros is set and forget, passive loot boosting over a large area. If you want more loot while going about your business, you bring a nekros.

All have there places, sure. I think hydro is is better for torpid farming which is typically a tight organized team. Khora I really haven’t tried the looting augment yet. Ivara is good for boosting drops from a focused stream of enemies or only a few specific ones. Nekros is good for casually boosting loot in stuff like survival or defense where you are not a super tight team

Though Nekros doesn’t bring much else to the table aside from tanking. Ivara is great at most anything, Khora is a nice tank/dps, Hydroid doesn’t really do anything else worth while in my opinion either.

My bad, i would have sweared i seen Khora's augment having a better drop chance multiplier number than Nekros's 55% but as usual my memory never fails to disappoint.

I personally don't find Hydroid's Pilfering Swarm to be that restrictive with positive range, works well enough for Survivals and most tilesets aren't that big anyways so it easily covers a whole room even in the Kuva tilesets or a corridor for tactical use.

The armor strip from Hydroid's augmented barrage is also useful, but the rest of Hydroid's kit isn't much.

Yeah, Prowl's usefulness is situational.

I don't really find a resource multiplying ability that isn't consistent all that useful as resources are usually never much of a problem anyways and if you're farming for something special and rare like a rare mod, you pick Hydroid or Ivara anyways, but for multiplying your gained credits in a passive farm it's good.

Realistically, you play Nekros if you want the loot and don't mind that everything else he does is outclassed by another Warframe (that or you love necromancer classes and will take whatever you can get). His Health Conversion/Equilibrium build is more static and less powerful than Nezha's, his Creeping Terrify setup isn't as far reaching or as powerful as Molecular Prime, and his summons are less powerful than Wukong's clone while being unbelievably energy hungry. 

The best build I've found for him is a setup making use of Despoil and Shield of Shadows, stacking 3 forms of damage reduction and using basically unlimited energy to sustain it. It's pretty good for survival Arbitrations, because you can make up for reduced life support, and the shadows can distract enemies that are affected by drones (sorta indirectly CCing them). The problem is that your movement is really limited (you have to stay close to your Shadows) and the only thing you can use that energy for is sustaining his ultimate's terrible energy economy.

It really just always left me feeling like I could be accomplishing more and having more fun if I was playing something else. I always gravitate towards necromancer classes when I can, and that's frankly the only reason I ever bother with Nekros. 

Edited by Gurpgork

I use nekros to get more loot (life support on Kuva survival), his 4 to tank damage and terrify to CC if killing power isn't enough at the moment. His 1 is lol useless to me unless you use the soul punch instant revive thing. 

and now that DE has fixed nerfed hydroid, kohra, some kubrow from stacking desecrates Nekros is far and away the winner of Farmer of the Year. Hydroid kohra both require enemies to enter the affected area. Meanwhile Nekros can move to the enemies and at max range it's something like 60+ meters. The Kubrow is pointless when you can take a Smeeta to get double triple or quadruple loot. 

Edited by Fire2box

8 minutes ago, Gurpgork said:

Realistically, you play Nekros if you want the loot and don't care that everything else he does is outclassed by another Warframe (that or you love necromancer classes and will take whatever you can get). His Health Conversion/Equilibrium build is more static and less powerful than Nezha's, his Creeping Terrify setup isn't as far reaching or as powerful as Molecular Prime, and his summons are less powerful than Wukong's clone while being unbelievably energy hungry.  

The best build I've found for him is a setup making use of Despoil and Shield of Shadows, stacking 3 forms of damage reduction and using basically unlimited energy to sustain it. It's pretty good for survival Arbitrations, because you can make up for reduced life support, and the shadows can distract enemies that are affected by drones (sorta indirectly CCing them). The problem is that your movement is really limited (you have to stay close to your Shadows) and the only thing you can use that energy for is sustaining his ultimate's terrible energy economy. 

It really just always left me feeling like I could be accomplishing more and having more fun if I was playing something else. I always gravitate towards necromancer classes when I can, and that's frankly the only reason I ever bother with Nekros.  

this is a great summary that outlines my main concerns. thanks.

30 minutes ago, Gurpgork said:

His Health Conversion/Equilibrium build is more static and less powerful than Nezha's, his Creeping Terrify setup isn't as far reaching or as powerful as Molecular Prime, and his summons are less powerful than Wukong's clone while being unbelievably energy hungry. 

Tbf Wukong's clone is stronger than anything that isn't a specter of a warframe. 

35 minutes ago, Gurpgork said:

The problem is that your movement is really limited (you have to stay close to your Shadows) and the only thing you can use that energy for is sustaining his ultimate's terrible energy economy.

I would call false on both of theses statements.His 4 teleports his shadows to himself and the animation isn't as long as when summoning them, you don't even have to be past 50 meteres for the teleport to kick in. And his energy economy is easily circumvented with equilibrium, you can even forgo adding an efficiency granted that your negative efficiency is not ridiculous (min/maxing). 

1 hour ago, kgabor said:

My bad, i would have sweared i seen Khora's augment having a better drop chance multiplier number than Nekros's 55% but as usual my memory never fails to disappoint.

I personally don't find Hydroid's Pilfering Swarm to be that restrictive with positive range, works well enough for Survivals and most tilesets aren't that big anyways so it easily covers a whole room even in the Kuva tilesets or a corridor for tactical use.

The armor strip from Hydroid's augmented barrage is also useful, but the rest of Hydroid's kit isn't much.

Yeah, Prowl's usefulness is situational.

I don't really find a resource multiplying ability that isn't consistent all that useful as resources are usually never much of a problem anyways and if you're farming for something special and rare like a rare mod, you pick Hydroid or Ivara anyways, but for multiplying your gained credits in a passive farm it's good.

I think khora is 65%. You’re right

1 hour ago, kgabor said:

His drop chance is lower but technically higher. 55% neckros khora 65% hydroid 100%.

But, a few things. If you use slash procs and break a body into 2 or more bits each piece of the body will give an additional drop. So if you do it correctly you CAN get three to four drops per body. Second, his ability gets its effect regardless of where the corpse was killed, but with hydroid they need to be in the tentacles to get the drop, in an unorganized group with a nuke frame hydroid's drops suffer, khora suffers from the same thing but not as much since her four gets a much wider range of effect and hits everything in the aoe. Last thing, neckros is mobile with his extra drops so he's the only loot frame that can loot in fast paced missions effectively.

Hydroid's looting ability is optimal in extremely small areas and in premade groups to farm stuff. It's objectively the "best" if you want a semi afk farm, and if you don't want to worry about killing everything with slash procs to get optimal drops.

Khora is pretty solid for long survival missions since she is the only frame with DPS  abilities. Plus she's a solid tank as well. Main downside is that khora builds usually don't have many flex spots so it's a tight fit for another augment.

Nekros is best for mobile missions with farming, missions with nuke frames where you usually only find corpses, and optimal farming with slash procs but it's unreasonable to kill EVERYTHING with slash procs even in organized groups. Plus pretty solid tank with shield of shadows but you limit your mobility.

Ivara I haven't experimented much with but I imagine her drop is optimal for just farming a specific enemy type.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ikyr0 said:

got my free prime and im wondering what this guy brings to the table. from a first look, it seems he is basically a tank frame without any nuking abilities. as someone who mains Nidus and Nova, I'm not sure what to do with him, as he solely relies on weapon kills. i know he also enhances farming with Despoil. anything I'm missing here?

edit: thanks guys. beyond Despoil, Nekros is pretty redundant given the frames i already use. just MR fodder for me.

Indeed, were it not for Desecrate (and Despoil) Nekros would have no real niche, either in the meta or even just casual play. The role he actually accomplishes is aggro reduction, with Terrify making the enemy stop shooting and his Shadows giving the enemy something other than Tenno to shoot. All of which is completely outclassed by Nyx

If his Shadows did more damage and if his Soul Punch did anything whatsoever, he might not be such a one-trick pony. As it stands, he is only good for his augments

• Like 1

Shadows of the Dead could use a buff.  Soul Punch or whatever it is, I never use it.  Terrify is kinda ... there.

Desecrate/Despoil is very handy, though.  Yeah, it's +Loot, but it also rakes in Health and Energy drops.  Some of those synergize well with Arcanes and will keep the team pretty well fueled.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Indeed, were it not for Desecrate (and Despoil) Nekros would have no real niche, either in the meta or even just casual play. The role he actually accomplishes is aggro reduction, with Terrify making the enemy stop shooting and his Shadows giving the enemy something other than Tenno to shoot. All of which is completely outclassed by Nyx

If his Shadows did more damage and if his Soul Punch did anything whatsoever, he might not be such a one-trick pony. As it stands, he is only good for his augments

And sustained survival. Desecrate and Despoil force more health and energy orbs to drop, as well as ammo and life support. His minions aren't really there for dealing damage, but for taking damage.

If he has a problem at all, it's that the meta left him behind and only values him for loot generation. He's still a powerful frame, he just doesn't fit into the community's meta.

Edited by DrakeWurrum

33 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

i hate this is what all players want now

this community is such a baby 

It's what DE gave us. There are a whole bunch of frames that tank, CC, nuke, and give offensive utility to the team. The whole package. Nidus, Nezha, and Nova for example, but there are more.

4 hours ago, Ikyr0 said:

got my free prime and im wondering what this guy brings to the table. from a first look, it seems he is basically a tank frame without any nuking abilities. as someone who mains Nidus and Nova, I'm not sure what to do with him, as he solely relies on weapon kills. i know he also enhances farming with Despoil. anything I'm missing here?

edit: thanks guys. beyond Despoil, Nekros is pretty redundant given the frames i already use. just MR fodder for me.

Necromancy and loot. If you couldn't figure that out by now, sorry to hear

1 hour ago, (PS4)FriendSharkey said:

Nekros like Atlas is a test on how well you understand the game....You can tell a lot about players on how they've answered in praising him or dismissing him...

Tell us, what's everyone missing about Nekros and Atlas?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawk_of_the_Reborn said:

Necromancy and loot. If you couldn't figure that out by now, sorry to hear

So thematic appeal, and something that isn't by any means important to progress in game? Yeah, i got that. I wanted to make sure I wasn't MISSING anything.

Edited by Ikyr0
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawk_of_the_Reborn said:

Have fun grinding without him then.

Lolwut. I have for 1200 hours, never felt like I was grinding slower. Endo farm on Sedna has been replaced by long Arbies for me, so what else?

• Like 2