Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dog Days: Just two tweaks

(PSN)CrysJaL

The event is fun, the "supersoaker" is kind of annoying to use but whatever, maybe an adjusted ignis would have made a better gun to use for this concept? (instead of what I assume is the zhuge?)

Regardless my actual criticism is this gamemode and the reason I made this post is next. Points are fixed rewards for participating 10-50 depending on the difficulty you pick. Each game is 5 minutes flat with no way to speed up or slow down points acquisition. This effectively time gates the rewards of pearls for Nakak. Wouldn't it be better instead if players received points (for example) based on the game's total score, modified for the difficulty somehow, less their deaths?

The time gating is an issue because players are well aware their participation in the event wont affect their progress towards rewards. They are motivated to sit afk where enemies can't reach them instead of actually playing the gamemode. Tying Nakak pearls to the team score seems like a sensible thing to do seeing as the current rewards are pretty expensive aswell. I mean this is approaching the time gating for Buried Debts and just about exceeding it (100m in the event to get the captura scene alone).

Just a suggestion, hope someone takes it on board.

Edited by (PS4)CrysJaL
  • Like 8

I was thinking about this just a bit ago while playing through the event. At first I thought that the points you had in the match corresponded to how many Nakak pearls you would earn, so I always put my best effort in the game to earn the most. After a while i noticed it was a fixed amount making me want to just kill and enemy here or there and watch youtube.

This is a great suggestion and I would love to see my effort and water gun shooting "skill" be rewarded.

I just think it should be like how I often set up my Unreal Tournament 2004 bot matches: simultaneous kill counter and timer. For example, I would set it so the game ends when I either get 50 kills or the match reaches 10 minutes.

So I would say in this case, it should be 20-25 kills or 5 minutes, with the kill counter scaling with number of players. The reward can remain the flat number of Nakak Pearls.

Edited by KnossosTNC
  • Like 7

Just now, KnossosTNC said:

I just think it should be like how I often set up my Unreal Tournament 2004 bot matches: simultaneous kill counter and timer. For example, I would set it so the game ends either when I either get 50 kills or at 10 minutes.

So I would say in this case, it should be 20-25 kills or 5 minutes, with the kill counter scaling with number of players. The reward can remain the flat number of Nakak Pearls.

That would cerainly work aswell. I mean its basically Index that way which would be cool.

• Like 1

I agree that changing the scoring method for this event to reflect how well/badly you/your team performs is probably the best bet to both making the game more 'competitive', giving more incentive to play, and to reduce the AFK players.

While I don't personally mind AFK-farming methods, they do tend to show up unexpectedly in the matches where we're actually trying for a high score, which tends to be a bummer. Probably best to AFK with other people who are also AFKing.

But yis. Changing the scoring method would go a long way towards improving this, particularly if this new event is going to be reoccurring in the future. 

Edited by ErratusEnigma
  • Like 2

I had this same thought. I thought the pearls were tied to the points. We've ended up in a few games with people afking. I can't say i blame them...the amount of time required for repeating the same event can get old fast (especially when the rewards are kind of pricey). I would also prefer the pearls be based on the teams total score. The way it stands now, there is no need to even do tiers 1-3 for the same time limit and fewer pearls. Maybe one pearl per one point in tier 4 and maybe 2:1 for the lower levels. *shrugs* I'm not sure I want deaths to matter so much as sometimes the bots seem to bug and get super speed or one hit K.O you.

I'd rather they didn't make the rewards 'score based' it's only going to benefit the select few who actually like conclave (this is essentially PvE conclave)...

All they need to do to 'fix' the event is lower the duration to say 2 mins and/or increase the rewards for the highest tier.   Admittedly, more maps wouldn't hurt but that isn't happening so no point even going there. 

Fixing the gun accuracy and removing the need to pump it up wouldn't hurt either imo.

45 minutes ago, FaithRose said:

sometimes the bots seem to bug and get super speed or one hit K.O you.

It's not that they bug they just occasionally seem to all target you at the same time. Well except for that one super fast circle strafing bot that bot can die right in a fire. 

Generally speaking tho if you're going to count kills beneficially then deaths should have some penalty as well. Otherwise you're just rewarding running head face into a group of bots and hoping you can snipe a few of them. Which is another point of contention with kills, how long until the "$^#$&!#^&! Killstealers" threads overtake the once mighty "$@^!@^@$^ Leechers" threads? My guess is not long. 

Worst case scenario a leecher as loathsom as they are doesn't effect my score but someone keeping an eye out for bots low on health to boost their kills at your expense most certainly will. And if you set up a system where in which Assists count then the new leeching is just going to be popping out every few minutes to spray and pray into a group of bots to get as many low damage tags as they can then pop back into their tree and wait for the other players to do the actual killing. 

A better solution would seem to be to have the game periodically assign a bot to "check" on each player and if that bot can't "get to" said player that player is issued some sort of penalty. accrue too many penalties and you are simply denied the reward for that level. Since you never know when the game is going to flag a bot to check on you it would never be "safe" to sit effectively "out of bounds" 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Oreades said:

It's not that they bug they just occasionally seem to all target you at the same time. Well except for that one super fast circle strafing bot that bot can die right in a fire. 

Generally speaking tho if you're going to count kills beneficially then deaths should have some penalty as well. Otherwise you're just rewarding running head face into a group of bots and hoping you can snipe a few of them. Which is another point of contention with kills, how long until the "$^#$&!#^&! Killstealers" threads overtake the once mighty "$@^!@^@$^ Leechers" threads? My guess is not long. 

Worst case scenario a leecher as loathsom as they are doesn't effect my score but someone keeping an eye out for bots low on health to boost their kills at your expense most certainly will. And if you set up a system where in which Assists count then the new leeching is just going to be popping out every few minutes to spray and pray into a group of bots to get as many low damage tags as they can then pop back into their tree and wait for the other players to do the actual killing. 

A better solution would seem to be to have the game periodically assign a bot to "check" on each player and if that bot can't "get to" said player that player is issued some sort of penalty. accrue too many penalties and you are simply denied the reward for that level. Since you never know when the game is going to flag a bot to check on you it would never be "safe" to sit effectively "out of bounds" 

In my games, a few of them kick up into hyper running. When it happens to the dude with the "dax" hat, one hit K.Os. I can't figure out the trigger. 

What I mean by not supporting the penalty for deaths is, atm, there is an issue with players going into PUG games and AFKing (not the folks sitting in trees, we've had people come in and just not move XD) and they get quite a few deaths and I'd hate to lose points cause they are afk. It's annoying once you are 2 minutes in and facing having to restart for ANOTHER 5 minutes T.T. It's better to win and let them afk to at least get the 50 pearls currently. If they fix the bot issues I'd be all for losing some points based on the amount of deaths, but as it is currently...Id greatly dislike that option XD

I also don't mean for points to be individual, how I understood the OP's post is the team score would count toward the pearls. So everyone gets 100 pearls if you get 100 points. Helps folks get more involved and stops competing against each other for "kills".

32 minutes ago, Oreades said:

Generally speaking tho if you're going to count kills beneficially then deaths should have some penalty as well. Otherwise you're just rewarding running head face into a group of bots and hoping you can snipe a few of them.

True, but there is a death penalty: not getting any kills until you get back into the action.

It's possibly not quite enough of a penalty if the minigame went to a #kills model.  If so, I'd suggest coming back with reduced ammo or health (that could refill as normal) rather than extending the death duration.

2 hours ago, (PS4)IndianChiefJeff said:

No, I don't. If this is how the Grineer Acid gun will function, I suggest DE goes back to the drawing board. We seriously don't wanna end up with another Stug: a severely inaccurate piece of scrap.

It works just fine, but instead of a chicken-S#&$ suggestion like "make it work more like the Ignis", it should simply lay a horizontal spray of acid. If an Ignis model were to be considered, I could see sustaining short bursts of spraying until the pressure runs out, which it would then only shoot quick spurts, requiring re-pumping the pressure back up to keep firing the longer sustained sprays.

Try not speaking for other people with this "we" business. Stick to what you know, your own thoughts and feelings.

4 hours ago, (PS4)CrysJaL said:

The event is fun, the "supersoaker" is kind of annoying to use but whatever, maybe an adjusted ignis would have made a better gun to use for this concept? (instead of what I assume is the zhuge?)

Regardless my actual criticism is this gamemode and the reason I made this post is next. Points are fixed rewards for participating 10-50 depending on the difficulty you pick. Each game is 5 minutes flat with no way to speed up or slow down points acquisition. This effectively time gates the rewards of pearls for Nakak. Wouldn't it be better instead if players received points (for example) based on the game's total score, modified for the difficulty somehow, less their deaths?

The time gating is an issue because players are well aware their participation in the event wont affect their progress towards rewards. They are motivated to sit afk where enemies can't reach them instead of actually playing the gamemode. Tying Nakak pearls to the team score seems like a sensible thing to do seeing as the current rewards are pretty expensive aswell. I mean this is approaching the time gating for Buried Debts and just about exceeding it (100m in the event to get the captura scene alone).

Just a suggestion, hope someone takes it on board.

On the one hand, I know it's "just a small seasonal event", but on the other hand we just went in some really positive directions with making missions more fun and more rewarding to play actively/better.

Disruption is great. There's not tons of reason to play it, but there's a little, and it's fun to do as far as mission types go. You can go slower and easier, or go quickly and get faster rewards.

The Orb Vallis fissures event also got overhauled for the better, letting us do some more stuff and fight harder/smarter to get more out of it.

Then there's this, which doesn't really even try to remember those lessons. Of course it's not going to be a full game mode worth of mechanics, but there's absolutely nothing to reward us for playing more. I of course expect there very shortly to be punishment for not playing enough soon, after the wave of (not really unreasonable at this point WHEN SOLO, tbh) AFKing.

I look forward to iterations on this event where engagement is encouraged and rewarded directly. The theme is fun, the media has been great, and the rewards themselves are neat enough. I like it being an optional way to get specific Kela mods, even though I have them all already.

7 hours ago, Oreades said:

. Well except for that one super fast circle strafing bot that bot can die right in a fire. " 

Yeah, executioner Garesh is really good at this. 

His back story does say he is a survivor. 

Imagine gunners in regular game with that kinda movement (assuming they don't die first) 

4 hours ago, so_many_watermelons said:

It works just fine, but instead of a chicken-S#&$ suggestion like "make it work more like the Ignis", it should simply lay a horizontal spray of acid. If an Ignis model were to be considered, I could see sustaining short bursts of spraying until the pressure runs out, which it would then only shoot quick spurts, requiring re-pumping the pressure back up to keep firing the longer sustained sprays.

Try not speaking for other people with this "we" business. Stick to what you know, your own thoughts and feelings.

Do you even see people using the Stug? No, you don't. If the acid gun is to be released soon, I believe I speak for certain community members when it comes to wanting a quality weapon in both functionality & damage, and "I'D" much rather prefer a weapon that hits the target I'm aiming at rather than whatever sloppy mechanic is tied to the Super Soaker in its current form. Never once did I suggest any Ignis variation whatsoever though, you've got the wrong person.

10 minutes ago, Ragingwasabi said:

they need to make each kill count as an extra token

or, since the event keeps track of the total number of kills, just throw in 100 extra pearls every 500 kills so people don't afk in parties at least. (you'd choose to party to get there faster, and you'd know you'd piss off the rest of the team if you AFKed)

12 hours ago, (PS4)IndianChiefJeff said:

Do you even see people using the Stug? No, you don't. If the acid gun is to be released soon, I believe I speak for certain community members when it comes to wanting a quality weapon in both functionality & damage, and "I'D" much rather prefer a weapon that hits the target I'm aiming at rather than whatever sloppy mechanic is tied to the Super Soaker in its current form. Never once did I suggest any Ignis variation whatsoever though, you've got the wrong person.

In regards to the Ignis bit, yeah that was my mistake confusing OP's comment to what you were saying. And I'm gonna be honest, I forgot this Soaktron is supposed to be a joke version of the Nox's gun, not its own completely unique "acid-sprayer-turned-watergun". So I forgot about that and instead imagined the regular weapon would be operating exactly like the watergun, spraying out liquids I mean.

But I don't think Nox cannons have that fatal flaw that the Stug has, which is the whole explosion delay while you're stacking bubbles. Unless I'm misremembering, they don't combine into a fatter bubble, they just all stack on top of the target and pop on their own. 

I don't understand what you mean by "I'd prefer a weapon that hits the target I'm aiming at rather than whatever sloppy mechanic is tied to the soaker". What sloppy mechanic, can you not aim a weapon that has a projectile arc? Charge up the pressure to build up a higher projectile flight speed, aim higher when you're shooting at someone at a further distance. It's a personal problem in the purest sense, if you don't like leading or accounting for drop in your firearms, I can why a person doesn't like the Soaktron as it is and can't imagine enjoying the real weapon.

Edited by so_many_watermelons