Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove riven challenge: Kill Dargyn pilots before they hit the ground

Colyeses

Dargyns are somewhat rare in the Plains of Eidolon, so finding three of them can take a bit. It wouldn't be so bad if the rest of the challenge was moderately doable, but it most definitely isn't. Because you need to hit the Dargyn in the perfect way, so that the Dargyn explodes, but the pilot survives. This is difficult to do, because there's no rhyme or reason to either's hitbox. Additionally, the Dargyn's explosion can/will often kill the pilot, thereby disqualifying you. Then on top of that, you need to use the remaining half second of your aim glide to figure out which random direction the pilot was flung in, provided the pilot didn't teleport to an entirely unrelated location, and kill them.

This is the absolute worst riven challenge I've ever gone up against and quite frankly, it should be removed. This is an entirely unreasonable challenge. I'll take five defense missions without the objective taking damage while carrying all of the dragon keys over this thing.

These things fly in a certain way when standing still. After flying pass you, they'll have to fly further in the same direction before making a U-turn; they'll come right at you in a straight line. To guarantee destroying the Dargyns with the pilot still alive aim at the bottom tip of it (basically where their gun is), then (instead of using a gun) use a Warframe ability that can kill the pilot quickly. Since Newtons 1st law of motion exist in the game, the pilot can fly over your head after destroying the Dargyn - like a driver crashing head-on without a seat belt, so it's best for you to use quick-animation-killing abilities like Mag's Pull and Mesa's Peacemaker.

Edited by NekroArts

10 minutes ago, NekroArts said:

These things fly in a certain way when standing still. After flying pass you, they'll have to fly further in the same direction before making a U-turn; they'll come right at you in a straight line. To guarantee destroying the Dargyns with the pilot still alive aim at the bottom tip of it (basically where their gun is), then (instead of using a gun) use a Warframe ability that can kill the pilot quickly. Since Newtons 1st law of motion exist in the game, the pilot can fly over your head after destroying the Dargyn - like a driver crashing head-on without a seat belt, so it's best for you to use quick-animation-killing abilities like Mag's Pull and Mesa's Peacemaker.

mesa's peacemaker might not hit fast enough if the dargyn is flying low, so there's another variant:

take duration limbo, use stasis, wreck dargyn, cast banish on the pilot as soon as he starts dropping (he should be suspended in the air), enter the rift, shoot the clay pigeon.

Bring a weapon like the Corinth > Jump into your AW > fly around until you find a pair of Dargyns on the ground > alert the pilots > shoot the Dargyns when they're flying right at you > have decent aim/add spread to your Corinth-like weapon.

The challenge really isn't too hard if you bring a suitable weapon and learn the flight patterns.  It's not unreasonable at all.

26 minutes ago, Jiminez_Burial said:

Bring a weapon like the Corinth > Jump into your AW > fly around until you find a pair of Dargyns on the ground > alert the pilots > shoot the Dargyns when they're flying right at you > have decent aim/add spread to your Corinth-like weapon.

The challenge really isn't too hard if you bring a suitable weapon and learn the flight patterns.  It's not unreasonable at all.

Except that either the pilot dies but the Dargyn survives, or the Dargyn blows up and kills the pilot. Or, option 3, the Dargyn blows up and the pilot survives, but he just teleported to an unrelated location or directly to the ground. The situation in which you can actually complete this riven occurs almost never.

But seriously, there are Frames and Weapons that deal with this Challenge no problem. As far as Forum complaints go, this is basically on par with "Remove Kill X Enemies in a single Wall Cling, I can't stay on that long!!!", and folks responding "....Um.....You know Loki is a Frame, right?". (Also "Use these Mods"/"Use this Tactic+Weapon")

I get it, it's frustrating, and even using a frame like Mag and her Magnetize to completely freeze the Dargyns, and making sure you're shooting near the bottom front of the bubble to kill the ship before the pilot does NOT in fact guarantee consistent results. I've killed 6/6 Pilots before, and I've had to try twice the number to get the necessary kills before, it's not always consistent.

1 hour ago, Rawbeard said:

since when? that is what I did when I had the challange months ago

Don't know, but it no longer works.

1 hour ago, Crasharr said:

Use Rhino stomp on the pilots on the ground and then kill them counts aswell.

Also no longer works.

56 minutes ago, DagoDrakh said:

It's not that hard. Beside Rhino's long dur/range, low dmg stomp, Nidus spaghetti monster ability works on it too what I've seen on a WF stream.

If Rhino's stomp is now disqualified, I'd say it's safe to assume that spaghetti Nidus is out too.

I don't know about people claiming certain abilities don't work. Before you assume that's accurate, make sure you're host. If you're not, strangeness can occur and things may not count. This applies to all riven challenges, especially those on Plains. (Though, I've succeeded at the "Defense target takes no damage" by being a joiner in a squad where it very definitely did take damage. No detection challenge, as well.)

Anyway...

Methods I know work:

• The "intended" method: Shoot the Dargyn while trying not to hit the pilot, shoot the pilot once he's falling. Best of luck. (I will refer to this below as "Method 1"/"first method".)
  • Nidus's 2, lifts enemies off the ground.
  • Ground pound with melee near the pilot to launch them into the air.
  • Nova's Molecular Prime (slow build, of course). Combine with first method.

Methods I've considered which would work quite well if they work, but have not tried:

• Zephyr's Tornado
  • Exodia Epidemic
  • Rhino's Stomp (I may have tried and succeeded, but not sure. Low power strength or high level enemies.)
  • Limbo's Cataclysm (I may have tried, but not sure. You'll want low power strength or high level enemies, probably.) Combine with first method.
  • Inaros's Sandstorm
  • Hydroid's Tentacle Swarm
  • Nezha's Divine Spears (low power)
  • Titania's Spellbind (someone may have told me this does work.)
  • Mag's Magnetize (use first method and then snag with Magnetize. Not sure if this works. Took the idea from someone mentioning Magnetize above.)
  • Mag's Pull combined with Magnetize IF Pull snags pilot from Dargyn.
  • Trinity's Life Well
  • Khora's Strangle Dome
  • Hildryn's Aegis Storm
  • Mesa's Peacemaker - Similar to method 1, but reliable due to auto-aim.
  • Which made me think of Cyanex primary fire, so we'll throw that in.
  • Aaand Larkspur primary fire.

Methods I've considered which wouldn't work amazing, but if you have nothing else...:

• Oberon's Reckoning
  • Frost's Globe (Not sure how well this would even work, but the idea is similar to Nova, slows their falling.)
  • Banshee's Sonic Boom to push them, possibly getting them in the air.
  • Mag's Pull to lift off ground. I think I remember seeing someone do this with some success.
  • Valkyr's Zipline
  • Harpak's alt-fire
  • Garuda's Blood Altar. I seriously doubt you can do anything with this.
  • Zephyr's Tail Wind if it knocks people into the air with the ground slam, and Air Burst says it sends enemies flying.
  • Sonicor
  • Vauban's Vortex (This one might be amazing... it depends on how it works.)
  • Nekros's Soul Punch (This probably won't work. It sends enemies flying too far and fast.)
  • Loki's Switch Teleport - Probably terrible idea. My thinking is that he can go up in the air and switch to get the enemy in the air.
  • Baruuk's 4. Would probably need low power strength. Depending on how it works, it might go in the category above.

Methods I had not considered but have been told work (the idea behind these two is that they first unseat and then kill the pilot. Power strength may matter):

• Ember's World on Fire
  • Equinox's Maim

Method that I thought would work, but have been informed by two independent people that it does not:

• Vauban's Bastille

I do not know that this is a comprehensive list. There are a couple of frames that I am not too familiar with, and I could easily have missed augments... and I may just not have thought of something.

Edited by twitch.tv-Mythraen

9 hours ago, Colyeses said:

Dargyns are somewhat rare in the Plains of Eidolon, so finding three of them can take a bit. It wouldn't be so bad if the rest of the challenge was moderately doable, but it most definitely isn't. Because you need to hit the Dargyn in the perfect way, so that the Dargyn explodes, but the pilot survives. This is difficult to do, because there's no rhyme or reason to either's hitbox. Additionally, the Dargyn's explosion can/will often kill the pilot, thereby disqualifying you. Then on top of that, you need to use the remaining half second of your aim glide to figure out which random direction the pilot was flung in, provided the pilot didn't teleport to an entirely unrelated location, and kill them.

This is the absolute worst riven challenge I've ever gone up against and quite frankly, it should be removed. This is an entirely unreasonable challenge. I'll take five defense missions without the objective taking damage while carrying all of the dragon keys over this thing.

Not my video but its handy and has easy instructions about how to do it:

Far from being a hard challenge, annoying at times maybe but not hard.

Edited by Gorgorex
Fixed grammar

I got the one kill dargons with bow.  Used to be able to go to kuva fortress where they always spawn but these are now "kuva dargons" and dont count.  It sits in inventory because I'm not interested in making dargons spawn.  

I say get rid of evwry single kill x type enemy.  It should be a challenge, not a challenge for it to spawn!  At least at kuva fortress they were always there.  

I don't get why DE would screw up abilities like rhino / nidus for this challenge.  Using a frame to make it easier is what Warframe is all about.  

Make sure you are host, used to work for me.  But, so did kuva dargons.  They must have stealth patched riven unlocks and were afraid to announce in patch notes because they know it's a horrible thing to do to people paying thier salary.

Edited by Educated_Beast

it's all about the used weapon: don't use explosives or the the opticors for it since they seems to bug out on this challenge when they kill both the pilot and his craft at the same time. use hitscan weapons with a high accuracy like the fulmin in auto mode (100% acc). also fly in an AW yourself and lure the buggers up high, so you'll have time to snipe them pilots off when they get ejected out of an exploding flyer... but best is if you snipe them out of their vehicle in the first place - far easier than aiming at those tiny spect being ejected in annoying arcs at high speed.