Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack dimensions make no sense

Or4ngeClaw

On 2019-12-01 at 7:59 AM, Karu-QW said:

Why is this so much different from Orbiters though? Seriously man, it's a game. It bugs me too, I admit it, but jesus.. does it REALLY matter that much?

350?cb=20160321111939
This is the orbiter, which is muuuuuch larger than the Liset (or any of the other landing craft). The landing crafts are essentially just shuttles to take us to and from the orbiter.

All I really want is some kind of glossy/reflective material to denote where the windows are, rather than the railjack just having regular armour plating. It'd help give the illusion of them being continuous from outside to inside

Edit, that little blue bit on the nose of the Orbiter is the Liset

Spoiler

16opTrM.jpg

And a landing animation to further show it

Spoiler

bkKCPlF.gif

Edited by Xarteros

10 hours ago, Furebel said:

That was kinda what I was thinking, but now that Tesla explained that it was really like a skybox, I have no idea. Because when you are inside, you do see objects outside move in perspective as you run around, so that can't be skybox, it has to be a portal.

Actually no, Titanfall used the exact same method of controling titan, as you would control pilot. You were just looking from the eyes (or eye...) of titan, with just cockpit layer strapped on your face, and glitch filter when you get too much hits.

if you see some of the models the cockpit is always the same size inside the titans, its like an egg shape thing, but the exterior is different, tho if you refer to the rendering, in titanfall 1 the pilot was still there when being inside the titan, but in titanfall 2 the pilot is no longer being rendered

I'm guessing the view of the drydock from the Railjack is more of an illusion, and that's why things are a bit wonky. The important thing is whether or not things work during the actual gameplay. As long as the dimensions don't make things confusing during the actual game, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for any inconsistencies.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tesla_Reloaded said:

What a portal is (at least in Portal game)? It's a 3d model (usually flat) covered by a texture generated by an invisible camera. That's all. Same is going with Railjack skybox, but its model isn't flat and covered by textures on all sides.

Besides, Railjack windows are way too curvy. It'll be hard to put a texture on them without those curves distorting the picture. On the other hand you can make skybox any shape you want: cubical, eleptical, spherical, etc. And it'll be easy to adjust the texture distortion for the chosen shape.

When you use portal texture, you kinda have to use "window" projection, otherwise you would have problems with pixelation when getting too close. Basically it looks like this:
sEozV.gif
No matter how complex your shape would be, it would still be projected properly.

It can't be skybox, because you can clearly see perspective shift outside as you run along window.

4 hours ago, Toppien said:

if you see some of the models the cockpit is always the same size inside the titans, its like an egg shape thing, but the exterior is different, tho if you refer to the rendering, in titanfall 1 the pilot was still there when being inside the titan, but in titanfall 2 the pilot is no longer being rendered

I think they did this just for optimization, but there were no space increasing tricks in it.

Edited by Furebel

8 hours ago, Xarteros said:

350?cb=20160321111939
This is the orbiter, which is muuuuuch larger than the Liset (or any of the other landing craft). The landing crafts are essentially just shuttles to take us to and from the orbiter.

All I really want is some kind of glossy/reflective material to denote where the windows are, rather than the railjack just having regular armour plating. It'd help give the illusion of them being continuous from outside to inside

Reveal hidden contents

16opTrM.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

bkKCPlF.gif

All of that was early phase concept. None of it made it into the game aside from the codex for the orbiter. There is no "skin" for the orbiter. Glitch out of your ship and you'll see no skin. Just the geomitry that was loaded for you to walk around. 

That means there is no set design for it. DE can make it look any way they want, if there was a need. There is currently no need.

Edited by (XB1)Rust Plague
  • Like 1

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Xarteros:

350?cb=20160321111939

Unsichtbaren Inhalt anzeigen

16opTrM.jpg

Unsichtbaren Inhalt anzeigen

bkKCPlF.gif

Do you know the difference between art concepts and finalized designs? Guess not.

1 hour ago, Formous said:

Interceptors. Not cruisers.  They are corevettes, not ships of the Line.

Interceptors and Corvettes aren't the same thing either. And I feel that Railjacks are too big with too much crew for a corvette. Even calling them frigates is low-balling it

I noticed this "issue" fairly quickly. It does bother me and so do other things that are similar, but most of those are from very old builds and this is new. I understand not having a dynamic skybox in the drydocks but it would have been nice if the inside fit the outside at least in the initial railjack.

10 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Interceptors and Corvettes aren't the same thing either. And I feel that Railjacks are too big with too much crew for a corvette. Even calling them frigates is low-balling it

Frigate would give it too much credit.  We know how large ships of the Line are. Just examine the Grineer Galleons.  There is some hints since that new warframe intro vid was made that the Grineer are using slightly modified Orokin ship designs.  Their dropships for instance. Since Grineer ships lack the somewhat haphazard and bulbous design of grineer constructions, the Galleon is likely a Orokin Capital ship originally. This explains their significant power compared to the numerous destroyed razorbacks which are more like transports.  With that in mind..corevette. Not frigate.  Real ships of the line are larger then the Railjack too XD.

Also Corevettes can have a variety of designations, but all Corevettes are a type of interceptor. They are designed as fast, manueverable fleet vessels that can relatively well armed.  Describes the nimble Railjack perfectly.

Edited by Formous

9 minutes ago, Formous said:

Frigate would give it too much credit.  We know how large ships of the Line are. Just examine the Grineer Galleons.  There is some hints since that new warframe intro vid was made that the Grineer are using slightly modified Orokin ship designs.  Their dropships for instance. Since Grineer ships lack the somewhat haphazard and bulbous design of grineer constructions, the Galleon is likely a Orokin Capital ship originally. This explains their significant power compared to the numerous destroyed razorbacks which are more like transports.  With that in mind..corevette. Not frigate.  Real ships of the line are larger then the Railjack too XD.

I've measured Grineer ship's before, they're a lot smaller than you think. The Balor Fomorian dreadnoughts, the strongest, most ultimate Grineer superbattleships... Are a mere 3800 meters tall. Grineer galleon battleships are barely a kilometer long (except of course when the players are inside them, when they can sometimes be up to two kilometers)

The Railjack "interceptor" is smaller still, sure, but i chalk this up to cultural differences between the samurai-esque nature of the Dax and the "bigger armor, bigger guns" of the Grineer. And the Railjack is designed as a forward combat ship, operating alone (unlike, say, Archwings which need to remain close to an Orbiter, Liset, or Railjack). I see no conclusion other than: the Railjack is a Dax battle frigate, not a point defense interceptor

(And yes, I know Corpus Hammerheads are MASSIVE. They have to be, in order to survive getting bombed by a Balor Fomorian)

On 2019-11-30 at 3:22 PM, Diavoros said:

Its basically...SCALE RATIO.
There are several games that don't do 1:1 because it's simply a waste of resources to do it, so sometimes certain things look smaller on the outside compared to how it is inside, and the other way around.

Like the Tardis from Doctor Who, Small outside. But huuge on the inside! Defies all manner of logic.

On 2019-12-01 at 11:32 PM, (XB1)Rust Plague said:

The codex is full of early concept art. My words are the truth. I don't care if you don't believe me. The evidence would be the images and thier time stamps. That's proof enough.

21 hours ago, Karu-QW said:

Do you know the difference between art concepts and finalized designs? Guess not.

On 2019-12-01 at 7:59 AM, Karu-QW said:

Why is this so much different from Orbiters though? Seriously man, it's a game. It bugs me too, I admit it, but jesus.. does it REALLY matter that much?

Well aware of the difference between concept art and finalised designs mate. However, the Devs have repeatedly said that the Orbiter is a different ship entirely to the landing craft and is much bigger in scale. This is consistent with everything else you see in the game, such as the lack of interior change when you swap between Landing Craft types, and even the separate categorisation of Orbiter and Landing Craft in the menus.

Regardless of how 'relevant' or 'up-to-date' the concept art for the Orbiter is, it's a clear representation of the comparative scale between the Orbiter and the Liset/Landing Crafts. Even if the 'final' model for the Orbiter was a fraction of its size, it would still be larger than the Orbiter. The fact that the Railjack interior is larger than the exterior model is therefor much different from Orbiters indeed. That is the sole reason I even posted the concept art. It seemed you were unaware of the fact that the Orbiter is sized sufficiently to fit the interior, and many players make the mistake of confusing the Orbiter with the Liset.

DE don't need to produce a 'final' model of the Orbiter until we actually get the chance to fly around outside it, and that also requires them to 'lock in' the intended size of the interior. It's easy to forget how small the old Orbiter used to be back when the Arsenal was the very back of the wall and there weren't any rooms beyond it. They probably don't want to set an exterior size if they aren't sure if they need to expand the interior down the line. Either that or they might end up just making the Orbiter exterior ridiculously large, so they have as much room as they want to expand the interior.

I never try to make sense of such things. When I'm in my Orbiter and I recruit three other players, they all appear on their Landing Craft (say, Lisets) - at the same time they don't see my Orbiter, but see my Liset on the group, while from their own perspective they are on their own Orbiters.

Railjacks interior is a level outside railjacks model , its how DE is able to do space battles with out the need of going full Star Citizen mode with physics grids and engine retrofits , Steve on hes twitter explained in great detail how it all works .

Eddit : tipos and wrong link

Edited by bad4youLT