Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grendel, wasted aesthetic potential?

(XBOX)Arbalestier

I feel like the Grendel aesthetic could have been done far better than the Sumo Wrestler vibe they were going for.  Yeah, it's funny to be a pinball once in a while but it's an embarrassment to look at compared to the rest of the frames.

You'd think with the northern-native Wendigo's, or any number of maneater/cannibal folklores to draw from they could have made something more grotesque or pleasing to warframe's dark aesthetic.  Grendel is just dissapointing and hopefully they get him a deluxe skin that gives him justification besides being an alt, fat Inaros.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, (XB1)Turaglas said:

Grendel is just dissapointing and hopefully they get him a deluxe skin that gives him justification besides being an alt, fat Inaros.

Get in line!
If I see a Grendel deluxe before Zephyr get's hers, I'm gona fly to DE's HQ and personally slap all in sight.

• Like 1

I think Grendel like many other frames is a composite image, it does have the sumo flavor on his stances, but i think the physical appearance is more a Oni, clear by including horns and the masseter a resemblance of the iron clubs traditionallly depicted with onis, the syandana also gives the appearance  sort of a grass cape, like the ones people in ancient japan used to made to cover themselves from rain.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, (XB1)Turaglas said:

I feel like the Grendel aesthetic could have been done far better than the Sumo Wrestler vibe they were going for.  Yeah, it's funny to be a pinball once in a while but it's an embarrassment to look at compared to the rest of the frames.

You'd think with the northern-native Wendigo's, or any number of maneater/cannibal folklores to draw from they could have made something more grotesque or pleasing to warframe's dark aesthetic.  Grendel is just dissapointing and hopefully they get him a deluxe skin that gives him justification besides being an alt, fat Inaros.

They should've just made him an Oni frame based on the Oni instead of making him yet another silly thematic joke. Had they stuck to that, he wouldn't be a sumo wrestler.

• Like 1

He's not just a sumo wrestler, he's an Oni. Oni, whilst not necessarily having the 'tummy teeth' look Grendel has, were man-eating demons and whilst they varied in form hugely, modern depictions often show them as rather fat ogre-like creatures. Even his signature weapon is a fancy Kanabo, and both his helmets have horns, as most Oni did.

So, yes, they did take from a man-eating monster from folklore.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Uthael said:

For some reason (although close enough), the design of Glutony from Fullmetal Alchemist felt... More.

To the jiggle physics comments: This is an M-rated game. Deal with it.

Then keep the "X" rated juvenile comments to yourself. Emphasis on "M" Mature..... Deal with it.

As for Grendal being fat, learn some history. Large warriors were/are respected in many cultures. Yokozuna doesn't translate to fat slob.

Edited by (XB1)Rust Plague
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, (XB1)Rust Plague said:

Then keep the "X" rated juvenile comments to yourself. Emphasis on "M" Mature..... Deal with it.

As for Grendal being fat, learn some history. Large warriors were/are respected in many cultures. Yokozuna doesn't translate to fat slob.

It sounds more so like you agreed with the quoted text than disagreed tbh.

FWIW, I agree with both of you on the jiggle physics...

If a player needs/wants female frames to "jiggle for them" then they need to grow up and stop being creepy.

lonely island creep GIF 

1 hour ago, Padre_Akais said:

FWIW, I agree with both of you on the jiggle physics...

If a player needs/wants female frames to "jiggle for them" then they need to grow up and stop being creepy.

lonely island creep GIF 

I reread the quote with a clearer head and you're right I suppose I do agree with them. My bad.

Honestly, I could care less about the jiggle, it matters not. It's the puberty driven children that think that kind of humor flies in public, that I'm tired of. These children, need to learn that it's not just kids who play video games or for that matter not just males either. There are more adults who play than children and a large percentage are female. It's not an sjw thing. It's a simple respect thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, (XB1)Rust Plague said:

Then keep the "X" rated juvenile comments to yourself

2 hours ago, Padre_Akais said:

Yeah... I should've put  " 😛 " at the end.

I don't like some of the latest design, it's completely missed the space ninja thing. It's not coherent to have a big guy like grendel to double jump ect everywhere as well as an excalibur wich is more aerodynamic like...

7 minutes ago, Erwes said:

I don't like some of the latest design, it's completely missed the space ninja thing. It's not coherent to have a big guy like grendel to double jump ect everywhere as well as an excalibur wich is more aerodynamic like...

Being "space" ninja means you can ignore such trivialities as aerodynamics

On 2019-12-01 at 1:37 PM, Lazarow said:

I shamelessly hope his jiggle physics belly is just a test for future jiggle physics jigglies

Well, there *are* lots of Infested in the game.  That could be a lot of wobbling flesh I guess if that's the kind of thing you're into...