Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

can someone give me a reason to use gas

Signs

26 minutes ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

I suppose it's good to use it against enemies that are... weak to Gas? shocker, I know. it is a pretty decent damage type against a fair few things.. the real question is "what reason to use Magnetic damage?".

oh believe me I did the math on everything and I can't find a reason to use gas because even what gas is good against (infested, infested flesh) it's beat by other basic DoT types (toxin, electric, heat) because they actually scale off more than base damage and faction damage. Also heat and electric can use viral with increases damage by a lot while gas can't. I just really want a genuine reason to use gas lmao.

oh yeah gas also uses 2 mods instead of 1

• Like 6

Bleed deals true damage so it's in a category on its own but every single elemental status that deals a DoT scales off of +% damage of that certain element ie:

• heat tick of damage/sec         = 0.5 × Modded Damage except elemental and physical mods × (1 + Heat Damage from mods) × (1 + Faction Damage mods)
  • electric tick of damage/sec     = 0.5 × Modded Damage except elemental and physical mods × (1 + Electric Damage from mods) × (1 + Faction damage mods)
  • toxin tick of d/s                       = 0.5 × Modded Damage except elemental and physical mods × (1 + Toxin Damage from mods) × (1 + Faction Damage mods)

EXCEPT, for some reason, gas! Yes, indeed, it is calculated WITHOUT any of it's elemental damage from mods:

• gas tick of damage per sec    = 0.5 × Modded Damage except elemental and physical mods × (1 + Faction Damage mods)

Why DE, why!?

Edit: Oh, and while the others deal much more damage (thanks to scaling off of their +% of their respective element), gas deals much less damage per ticks AND requires 2 elements/mods. Why is 2 elements/mods doing less than 1?

Edited by VieuxPappy
  • Like 12

Just now, VieuxPappy said:

Bleed deals true damage so it's in a category on its own but every single elemental status that deals a DoT scales off of +% damage of that certain element ie:
heat tick of damage per second = 0.5 × Modded Damage except elemental and physical mods × (1 + Heat Damage from mods) × (1 + Faction Damage mods) electric tick of damage/sec         = 0.5 × Modded Damage except elemental and physical mods × (1 + Electric Damage from mods) × (1 + Faction damage mods) toxin tick of d/s                            = 0.5 × Modded Damage except elemental and physical mods × (1 + Toxin Damage from mods) × (1 + Faction Damage mods)

EXCEPT, for some reason, gas! Yes, indeed, it is calculated WITHOUT any of it's elemental damage from mods:
gas tick of damage per sec         = 0.5 × Modded Damage except elemental and physical mods × (1 + Faction Damage mods)

Why DE, why!?

Thank you

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Signs said:

oh believe me I did the math on everything and I can't find a reason to use gas because even what gas is good against (infested, infested flesh) it's beat by other basic DoT types (toxin, electric, heat) because they actually scale off more than base damage and faction damage. Also heat and electric can use viral with increases damage by a lot while gas can't. I just really want a genuine reason to use gas lmao.

edit: oh yeah gas also uses 2 mods instead of 1

Gas might lose out on paper, but the fact it's AoE means it SOMEtimes wins in tight tunnels. Pile DoTs on one or two enemies, kill an entire pileup of four or five

Not often enough to actually win the meta, but it does help

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Gas might lose out on paper, but the fact it's AoE means it SOMEtimes wins in tight tunnels. Pile DoTs on one or two enemies, kill an entire pileup of four or five

idk man

Electric requires 1 elemental, scales off electric/base damage/faction damage mods and has a 3m AoE at base.

Gas requires 2 elementals, scales off only base damage/faction damage mods and has a 3m AoE at base that scales up to 6m after 10 procs.

Usually the 3m should be enough to most hallways and the 6m just isn't big enough to be good in non hallways combat. also the fact that gas deals almost no damage means even though you're hitting more enemies, you're at most dealing a little bit more damage than something like electric and most of the time dealing less damage because its not that easy to hit that many more enemies with 6m AoE vs 3m AoE plus it needs to be stacked up.

edit: also electric can use viral which will make it deal significantly more damage. gas can't use viral because toxin is one of its components...

Edited by Signs
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TARINunit9 said:

Electricity is also AoE but deals much more damage and stuns at the same time, so enemies affected stay in the AoE., unlike gas. Yes gas can POTENTIALLY reach a 6m radius (at max stacks) but for you to reach max stacks, you'll most likely kill the target with your bullets/projectiles before reaching max gas stacks.  

It can be worth some chuckles versus weaker infested, or anything so inconsequential that "optimal" isn't something you're worried about.

But you're probably looking for a practical reason to use it.  In that case, Nightwave, Kill 150 Enemies with Gas Challenge!

evil gas GIF                                             It really needs to scale better and probably go up to the larger potential radius DE talked about.

Edited by Tiltskillet
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

But you're probably looking for a practical reason to use it.  In that case, Nightwave, Kill 150 Enemies with Gas Challenge!

I'm also looking for a practical reason to do NightWave as it's been months since this intermission and like everyone has completed it.

6 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

He means in actual gameplay. Not a boss who’s mechanics differ from everything else in the game.

All i see is him asking for a reason to use gas. I gave him one. A real one even.

Spoiler

And the only one too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

I suppose it's good to use it against enemies that are... weak to Gas? shocker, I know. it is a pretty decent damage type against a fair few things.. the real question is "what reason to use Magnetic damage?".

The only enemies that are weak to Gas are supposedly a few of the weaker Infested.  Apparently, almost *everything* else is resistant to it.  According to at least two people who I generally trust to know what they're talking about, Gas is *worse* than Magnetic now.  For the simple reason that the Gas proc is apparently NOT affected by damage or elemental mods - meaning you get up to a 9m cloud that does 40 damage per tick to enemies wandering into it.  (Compared to Hunter Munitions, Slash or Toxin which could be doing *thousands* of points per tick on the same weapons.)

Gas used to be "Okay" because it proc'ed Toxin damage and the Toxin bypassed armor and shields.  Gas apparently *doesn't* bypass either of those.  And if it's correct that the proc is no longer boosed by most mods... yeah, it seems like you'd be better off building for literally almost anything else.

1 hour ago, Signs said:

idk man

Electric requires 1 elemental, scales off electric/base damage/faction damage mods and has a 3m AoE at base.

Gas requires 2 elementals, scales off only base damage/faction damage mods and has a 3m AoE at base that scales up to 6m after 10 procs.

Usually the 3m should be enough to most hallways and the 6m just isn't big enough to be good in non hallways combat. also the fact that gas deals almost no damage means even though you're hitting more enemies, you're at most dealing a little bit more damage than something like electric and most of the time dealing less damage because its not that easy to hit that many more enemies with 6m AoE vs 3m AoE plus it needs to be stacked up.

edit: also electric can use viral which will make it deal significantly more damage. gas can't use viral because toxin is one of its components...

1 hour ago, VieuxPappy said:

Electricity is also AoE but deals much more damage and stuns at the same time, so enemies affected stay in the AoE., unlike gas. Yes gas can POTENTIALLY reach a 6m radius (at max stacks) but for you to reach max stacks, you'll most likely kill the target with your bullets/projectiles before reaching max gas stacks.  

Question: if you proc Electric twice, does it deal a second DoT or just refresh the duration of the first?