Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

can someone give me a reason to use gas

Signs

12 minutes ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

Condition overload 

Energy Generator 

Gas persist after enemy death. Has potential to kill low lv enemies.

May sync with contagion cloud augment changes for Saryn if it happens.

Gas is useless the moment you try using it against corpus or grineer at a respectable lvl. Also, who would mod their weapons to "kill low lv enemies"? About CO, since the status rework, gas doesn't deal toxin damage so it doesn't proc 2 statuses toward CO anymore so using actually useful elements is much MUCH better than using gas for it. Finally, want AoE that isn't pure trash? Use abilities, AoE based weapons that will one-hit kill low lvl enemies (if that's what you're going for), punchthrough or simply use electricity as it's just better.

1 hour ago, taiiat said:

if you're clustering Enemies up so that you overlap AoE's on top of other AoE's.

that's how all AoE's work, they're good if you overlap the results.

Thing is:

1. that's a lot of micromanagement to kill adds. Most of the time, when you want to use an AoE, it's to use it on a tougher target that you focus down and have the AoE clear the lesser mobs around it. Having to shoot at multiple targets to make the AoE somewhat viable goes against the goal of using AoE. At that point, just use punchthrough or hose down the trashmobs to kill them instantly anyway. 
  2. electricity deals more damage, has the same AoE and stuns enemies in the AoE, stopping them or at least slowing them from simply walking away from the AoE, unlike gas that deals nothing beside it's (lowly) damage.  
  3. electricity deals 50% increased damage against tougher enemies where that bonus counts : "robotics" which emcompasses not only the tougher corpus units but also sentients
  4. gas damage deals bonus damage to mobs that die from something as light as a fart in their general direction and is useless against corpus and grineers anything not infested. 
Edited by VieuxPappy

7 minutes ago, VieuxPappy said:

that's a lot of micromanagement to kill adds

Electricity

not really. it's more efficient to Kill Enemies that way to begin with.

you would always pair Electricity with Gas either way. that's not even a relevant point.

Edited by taiiat

7 minutes ago, taiiat said:

not really. it's more efficient to Kill Enemies that way to begin with.

you would always pair Electricity with Gas either way. that's not even a relevant point.

Huh no. I don't want to dilute my status procs with garbage like gas. 
Also, Maths (that I posted earlier, with the way damage is calculated for each ticks) are proving my points. I'd like to see you bring proof as to how gas is relevant. Go ahead, record yourself using it against lvl 80-120 enemies (other than infested because those die to litterally ANYTHING) and show how it's stronger than other elements. We'll be waiting on the results.  IDK why you are white knighting gas, we are all just asking for it to be made stronger/relevant because it being only reliable against the easiest mobs to kill in the game isn't cutting it. 

Edited by VieuxPappy
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, VieuxPappy said:

Gas is useless the moment you try using it against corpus or grineer at a respectable lvl. Also, who would mod their weapons to "kill low lv enemies"? About CO, since the status rework, gas doesn't deal toxin damage so it doesn't proc 2 statuses toward CO anymore so using actually useful elements is much MUCH better than using gas for it. Finally, want AoE that isn't pure trash? Use abilities, AoE based weapons that will one-hit kill low lvl enemies (if that's what you're going for), punchthrough or simply use electricity as it's just better.

The question was not about the killing power of gas.

Just a reason to use gas. 

Beginning players can mod gas for "low level enemies" and make great use of it in survival/defense missions for example.

Gas doesn't have to proc 2 status for CO. 1 is fine especially since it lingers. Enemies can walk or spawn into it for an immediate status effect

And again it works very well with Energy Generator.

And I forgot about Synth Deconstruct

• Like 1

If the radius was like 2, 4, or maybe 8 times what it is, there would be an obscure reason to use it for weapons that are currently off-meta (it could add a meaningful AOE component to weapons that don't have it intrinsically).

But it would seem DE doesn't know how to mod properly for their own game, so...  No, there is no reason at all to ever run gas.  Just like electricity, magnetic, blast, and two out of the three physical damage types.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, taiiat said:

you haven't been paying very close attention to the words around here.

?
I don't live on WF forums, I came here to discuss specifically how bad gas is and how it needs to be buffed to be on par with the way other elements are calculated (by taking into count elemental damage mods) and to maybe allow it to be good against something else than the infested's trash mobs.

7 hours ago, (XB1)Phantom Clip said:

Enemies can walk or spawn into it for an immediate status effect

Enemies affected by a gas cloud do not get a gas status effect, they just receive gas damage. So only the initial target (the one that created the gas cloud) has gas status on him, so your CO is only boosted on that original target and gets nothing on enemies that are simply being damaged by the gas cloud. Now, if gas behaved that way and enemies receiving damage from gas would get the status effect, spawning themselves a new gas cloud so it behaves like a chain reaction, THAT would be pretty neat and help making gas not completely useless (but it would need to be good against other factions, and not just trash infested). 

Gas as a status is absolute ass so the "only" worth I used it for is to use it as a elemental damage by modding my melee in Disruption vs Infested 'cause for some reason, the Demo are immune to to viral and heat procs but they seems to be weak against gas. But even then, I'm sure someone else can prove me wrong by convince me that there are better options than gas. I still have no trouble melting level 250s in 2 seconds though.

12 hours ago, EmberStar said:

And if it's correct that the proc is no longer boosed by most mods... yeah, it seems like you'd be better off building for literally almost anything else.

It is boosted by damage dealt.  Whether that's from damage mods or not is something I will let someone else figure out.  

What I did notice when I was testing somethings was that the AoE proc and tick damage alone took out a nearby lvl 155 Grineer Evisarator when I did a headshot on the enemy Bombard near it.  

That said, I really think there are some misconceptions about Gas and how it really works.  

edit:  As someone who was a strong Gas proponent before the change, I was kinda worried that it got shafted.  After testing and verifying things myself, I've come to the conclusion that I don't a need to change from Gas on my builds.  It still works damn good for my playstyle and how I play

Edited by DatDarkOne

14 hours ago, (PS4)robotwars7 said:

I suppose it's good to use it against enemies that are... weak to Gas? shocker, I know. it is a pretty decent damage type against a fair few things.. the real question is "what reason to use Magnetic damage?".

index, pair a heat magnetic gun with viral co br melee

8 hours ago, VieuxPappy said:

Enemies affected by a gas cloud do not get a gas status effect, they just receive gas damage. So only the initial target (the one that created the gas cloud) has gas status on him, so your CO is only boosted on that original target and gets nothing on enemies that are simply being damaged by the gas cloud. Now, if gas behaved that way and enemies receiving damage from gas would get the status effect, spawning themselves a new gas cloud so it behaves like a chain reaction, THAT would be pretty neat and help making gas not completely useless (but it would need to be good against other factions, and not just trash infested). 

You gave 2 paragraphs about gas cloud inflicting status only on initial enemy. 

You avoided beginners using gas at low levels,

Synth Deconstruct, which is a reason

And Energy Generator. Which is also a reason.

The chain reaction might exist if they update augment for Saryn as they mentioned last year.

The OP asked for " A REASON TO USE GAS".

Not strength or how would it be better than using another element 

9 hours ago, VieuxPappy said:

I came here to discuss specifically how bad gas is...

You're on the wrong thread, your comments are out of place.

Again they asked for a reason to use gas. Not the killing effectiveness or strength of it.

We all know gas was nerfed.

• Like 2

The dev nerf gas for gas WAS FOR CLAIM IT WAS TOO GOOD during before the heavy nerfing moments which question DE of their chose even twice then deeper more what their chose or what they see in this game.  It seems that the boss or someone in their group is just think this is slot machine challenge.

Now what is good is toxic is better then Gas which someone research it about it gas is trash now and toxic is hell lot better.

cover3.jpg

really DE?

1 hour ago, Methanoid said:

i can only see it being of utility use when you use a mod that activates on a status effect like condition overload or healing return.

This is one of the main reasons I started using it in my builds years ago.  It just happens to still apply after the rework.  Electric is suppose to be the other AoE element proc, but it has been doing any AoE since the rework.  Unless a recent hotfix corrected that.  

edit:  As of this edit, I have just tested the Electric AoE Proc.  Using a Daikyu modded for just electric and with a Status chance of 110%.  The AoE range on the electric was extremely inconsistent.  Sometimes it would have zero range and others it would be the 3m.  Rarely on the 3m.  Even then it would only damage on the initial hit and no more after that.  So either this is a real bug or the Wiki needs to be updated.  Cause as of right now, the wiki is wrong about electric procs.  

Edited by DatDarkOne