Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steel Path Surprising Frames

20 hours ago, (PS4)CommanderC2121 said:

Doesnt Nyx 2 deactivate on enemies affected when you recast the ability, therefore nullifying the purpose of spamming it?

To answer the OP, at least in endless missions my grendel is having a blast. The upped enemy spawns has been amazing for the gluttonous kirby

Well don't mindlessly spam it. Just cast, kill, cast. It is your go to ability to just cast cast cast.

3 hours ago, Ikyr0 said:

But Nidus surprised me. Larva, unlimited invuln, and a viral/slash melee = GG. I ditched primaries, secondaries, and Teeming Virulence, and basically play him as a melee frame. Super efficient for essence farming, probably in the top tier for survivals

Why Nidus is a suprise? He is basically the best camper warframe,his only issue is that he requires buildup and he needs at least most of his abillities up for it and to camp in a fitting spot

Except Khora who is blatantly busted, nothing particular to add. She always was but SP magnified that. Otherwise, brief respite with frames that spam abilities to do damage(like mag) are very strong. Some frames can still arcane grace/guardian tank in SP and won't mop the floor until pretty late in survival, etc...

All the frames that are mechanically below average are still bad in SP, you go there for clearing stuff fast in order to spawn eximus and then to loot virtus essences, the low tiers are still low tier. And some of the top tier are nowhere as strong as they use to be in the regular starchart. I means that as always all the frames are kind of playable because there is at least 1 way for each frame beeing "immortal", but fewer than usual are worth using if you care about beeing efficient at what you're doing.

What is fun in Warframe is player experience, I read people scheming for the junction specters, while for me it was about mashing e while going to the console. Everybody has his fun ^^.

tl;dr; SP made clear that Khora warframe is too strong(damage out of control, great CC, more loot, pseudo invulnerability like I saw many Khora and none took health dmg in SP never) and that either CO should be removed from the game or available for primaries and also secondaries because melee gameplay breaks everything the game throws atm while ranged weapons do not despite costing more ressources to minmax.

I rushed access to Ani in order to farm Steel Essence. But after that, I am playing a few daily Steel Path missions, whenever there is nothing else and I feel like it.

And I am really (and somewhat surprisingly) enjoying it. One reason for the enjoyment is testing different warframes (and their abilities & builds) against higher level enemies. The challenge level is nice, and tougher normal enemies in normal missions without any extra tricks or gimmicks (to make it harder) works quite well. The first planets were a bit "messy" on public, so I switched to solo which made everything more enjoyable. Later (after Jupiter) I switched back, since most players doing pubs from that point on were, how shall I put it, more knowledgeable and a lot more chill. After Uranus/Neptune most missions default to solo, since the number of players is so low.

The solo aspect is important, as it affects what warframe & build you use. And with Steel Path, warframe and builds are actually (and finally) relevant on the starchart (you can warp through the normal starchart with almost anything). I've gone through 20+ warframes (in Steel Path), and the most enjoyable are the more tricky ones (tricky as in you need to actually actively play the game a little). Since the drops are basically irrelevant on the Steel Path (after maxing out on Steel Essence), enjoyment and challenge is the thing, and f*cking that up by rushing through everything with your go-to meta warframe(s) seems inherently stupid (to me anyway). Doing that just means that after a few intensive days you are back in the "and then what"-situation and crying about "no (end game) content" on the forum.

I've strayed a bit from the OP, but my point is that the surprising thing has been how enjoyable it is to use non-meta warframes against higher level enemies, and doing that mostly solo. Even if you occasionally fail a mission it is fun to have this type of challenge (so much of the other "hard" content is so much more focused on "effectiveness" than on "enjoyment"). Basically getting re-acquainted with my not so often used warframes again and finding that so interesting and enjoyable was surprising. Once you let go of the maximising (including mission time "effectiveness") a whole world of possibilities opens up. My current favourites are Nyx, Mag and Oberon, and Nidus is currently waiting for his turn, ready to go (just wish there was a combo-mechanic with maggots from a Helminth Charger & Pathocyst to play around with). Had a lot of fun with Zephyr and Volt during a "testing weapons against high level enemies"-phase (using Turbulence/ Electric Shield), including Latron Prime & Double Tap (and yes, it does work, quite well with a riven). Atlas (Petrify build) was a lot better than I remembered (close to op actually), methodically and invincibly reducing any and all enemies to rubble. Won't go into the losers, but the Steel Path also highlights a few warframes whose abilities sort of wimps out at this level, or warframes with a playstyle that another warframe simply does better (stealth/invisibility, for example).

Overall Steel Path has been a positive experience. Pre-release I thought the concept was just a cheap and easy way to quickly produce "more content", and I didn't even plan on doing it. But I was wrong, Steel Path has been, and still is (since I luckily haven't finished all nodes yet), one of the more enjoyable parts of Warframe this year. And that might be the biggest surprise of all (to me, anyway).

Well I've had to pull out Loki tonight to get through aten after 2 failed attempts with Limbo (f$#^!ng nullies jumping down on me from up high caused the last console to get blown up twice.)

Max range radial disarm with high duration and a decoy up high really scrambles the ai. I need to try this for Grineer hijack next 😈

23 hours ago, (PS4)grayhyh said:

Why Nidus is a suprise? He is basically the best camper warframe,his only issue is that he requires buildup and he needs at least most of his abillities up for it and to camp in a fitting spot

I played him the old way. Larva -> Pox to strip armor -> stomp for the kill. It was too slow, and he felt super inefficient. Then I just switched to my Zaw dagger, and started blowing up the Larva ball with heavy slash attacks. Much better.

I ran most of it with either Hildryn or Rev with a few exceptions.

Vey Hek aswell as disruption = Ash

Kela = Nyx

Ambulas = Mesa

Ropey = Inaros

Lephy = Titania

And now when I'm just farming essence I cant be bothered to use anyone by Khora, no other frame comes close to her kill count in survival.

On 2020-08-07 at 11:26 PM, (XB1)pwnSacrifice said:

Having finally taken my stroll down the steel path, (console pleb here) and having seen quite a nice variety of frames, I got to wondering what the community thought were frames that worked surprisingly well? 

Personally, Titania and Vauban were just absolute MVPs, but Protea and Mag were very solid for me as well. Titania shocked me with being able to keep up in damage. I did not expect dex pixia or diwata to actually kill but they worked quite well. Lantern is just... so so good. Give 190% range titania a try folks. Vauban I tried as a solution to solo Hijack, and loved every second of it. Watching rail specters flail about trying to get out of vortex is the funniest thing i've seen in warframe. Protea actually kept up in damage and solo'd void defense, so I hand it to her, Mag... well, I expected to have survival issues. Shield gate is just so strong it was easy.

We all know the list of the really meta frames for it: Khora, Baruuk, Limbo, so I'd like to see more interesting choices than that!

Tell me your interesting choices!

I used Banshee, Khora, Baruuk, Chroma, Wukong, Nova, Frost, Limbo, Mesa, Inaros, Saryn, Hildryn, Oberon and Gauss.

Extermination: Saryn, Banshee

Assassination: Mesa, Chroma.

Capture/Sabotage/Rescue: Wukong, Gauss.

Interception: Nova

Hijack: Hildryn

Mobile Def/Excavation: Frost, Limbo.

Survival/Def/Disruption: generally Khora and Baruuk , but many more.

Defection: Oberon

Junctions: Inaros (could go for quick kills, but I'd like longer fights with those :P)

On 2020-08-09 at 12:48 AM, Galuf said:

Except Khora who is blatantly busted, nothing particular to add. She always was but SP magnified that. Otherwise, brief respite with frames that spam abilities to do damage(like mag) are very strong. Some frames can still arcane grace/guardian tank in SP and won't mop the floor until pretty late in survival, etc...

All the frames that are mechanically below average are still bad in SP, you go there for clearing stuff fast in order to spawn eximus and then to loot virtus essences, the low tiers are still low tier. And some of the top tier are nowhere as strong as they use to be in the regular starchart. I means that as always all the frames are kind of playable because there is at least 1 way for each frame beeing "immortal", but fewer than usual are worth using if you care about beeing efficient at what you're doing.

What is fun in Warframe is player experience, I read people scheming for the junction specters, while for me it was about mashing e while going to the console. Everybody has his fun ^^.

tl;dr; SP made clear that Khora warframe is too strong(damage out of control, great CC, more loot, pseudo invulnerability like I saw many Khora and none took health dmg in SP never) and that either CO should be removed from the game or available for primaries and also secondaries because melee gameplay breaks everything the game throws atm while ranged weapons do not despite costing more ressources to minmax.

Khora is for Steel Path what Saryn is for the basic Star Chart - a low effort, low risk, high reward kind of frame. It's for sure slightly bothersome. 

My main problem with Khora is that I can't attack the mobs trapped in her cage. This is horrible, anti-fun, anti-coop design on DE's end. Can't blame the players for using her. I felt the same about Mesa and Saryn when I first started playing the game.

When I run into a Khora on my Baruuk in Steel Path, I don't play WITH this player...I play against him. I form a perimeter around his cage and wipe the entire tileset before any mobs can get to the cage. Top kills, top damage, fuk Khora and bad game design. After 10 mins, he realizes there's nothing to do and leaves.

I have to keep reminding myself - Warframe isn't a co-op game. It's really for solo play, and running into others is either an inconvenience or for flexing. 

16 minutes ago, Ikyr0 said:

Khora is for Steel Path what Saryn is for the basic Star Chart - a low effort, low risk, high reward kind of frame. It's for sure slightly bothersome. 

My main problem with Khora is that I can't attack the mobs trapped in her cage. This is horrible, anti-fun, anti-coop design on DE's end. Can't blame the players for using her. I felt the same about Mesa and Saryn when I first started playing the game.

When I run into a Khora on my Baruuk in Steel Path, I don't play WITH this player...I play against him. I form a perimeter around his cage and wipe the entire tileset before any mobs can get to the cage. Top kills, top damage, fuk Khora and bad game design. After 10 mins, he realizes there's nothing to do and leaves.

I have to keep reminding myself - Warframe isn't a co-op game. It's really for solo play, and running into others is either an inconvenience or for flexing. 

I have liked khora sense I first got her.... if I’m in a mission and your are doing more damage than me..... excellent and thank you for playing. You can stat me all day partner. 

Il y a 2 heures, Ikyr0 a dit :

I played Saryn in SP. It plays like a standard mr5 melee aggro build except you pick a meta CO weapon(there a few to pick). It helps a bit the others as you spred corrosive for free and it genuinely does better clear than Barruk itself because the comboes actually move you forward and shred anything mindlessly, MoT and Sedna survivals included.

There are different ways to subtly be usefull to others in warframe, for example playing wisp, rhino or just arcane energize helps a lot everyone incidently without putting any form of effort in your gameplay.

You're kind of right with Khora, except she clears 3h survivals alone.

Archived