Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

so why should I use a secondary weapon?

_Anise_

Question

I will just say I never used one, I never put as much effort into maxing one out because honestly they all feel meh, they are from the ones i tested, either low range, don't do enough damage or have ammo issues and just lack the punch primary weapons seem to have, so I never used them much outside balistika prime for its ghost summoning quirk.

so the new (and much needed) QOL allowing players without a secondary to carry a primary weapon and a mission objective at the same time or fire a primary while downed I am even less seeing the point of secondary weapons.

so convince me why I need a secondary weapon ? and suggest one that would be actually fun and comparable to a primary!

1 hour ago, Serafim_94 said:

Secondaries have better mods. Their basic multishot mod is superior to primaries, and they have both crit mods primed, which allows creating functional crit/status hybrids out of pretty much anything. So, as funny as it is, pistols are simply better. Especially kitguns.

Very much this!

It's especially noticeable with kitguns, Rattleguts as a secondary to me just feels plain superior to its primary counterpart.

As to why use a secondary, I find they're good at filling out the niches in a loadout. For example if I have something like Synoid Simulor as a primary, I'll want something with bigger crits faster fire rate and longer range as a secondary. Cue my trusty Rattleguts pistol, modded with Steady Hands so it can cover ranges the Simular can't touch.

Some of the kuva secondaries are pretty lethal. Nukor's already been mentioned, for a pocket sniper the Kuva Seer is really quite underestimated. Anything that can mod viral and corrosive simultaenously, moreover with AoE and decent base crit and status, is a winner in my book.

Ultimately though it's about what you have fun using. Maybe one day you'll find a secondary that you have a blast using and want to invest in, if not there's more than enough kit in the game to keep you happy :)

17 minutes ago, XAN3MK said:

By pathing you mean their ricochet/bouncing? Yeah, no, sod that. Opt for a heavy build with Volatile Quick return and use a dedicated heavy attack button for the detonation. (I tend to use standard E for the throw, then detonate with MB4). The "recent" buff to the glaives has made them ridiculous, mid to long range-deployed thermonuclear devices. Can't speak for all the glaives, but both Xoris and Glaive Prime scale very well (Glaive P especially, with the guaranteed slash procs on the detonation)

I just feel they're too much work for their payback. Yes they're cool, the idea is fantastic but in a game that warrants fast killing ie hoard shooter, they're too clumsy to use reliably while jumping around like a maniac. 

Il y a 2 heures, _Anise_ a dit :

so convince me why I need a secondary weapon ? and suggest one that would be actually fun and comparable to a primary!

As I mainly SOLO play warframe, I can absolutely tell you that Secondary are usefull ...

-They provide Extra Statut Support effect (You can have your secondary with Corrosive and Viral on primary)

-They can cover what a primary lack : Sniper Rifle + Any high fire-rate Secondary

-They can combine well with some warframe abilities like Synoid Gammacor and Nova's Antimatter Drop

-They CAN have fire-power : Akstiletto Prime is a very good exemple; They One can have large amout of Ammo : "TWIN GRATAKAAA"

-Almost all syndicate are good and give extra support Synoid Gammacor energy boost is always welcome ... I love My Telos Akbolto because it often "save the day" on numerous times and because the area support effect is OP.

And they are also very fun :

il y a 20 minutes, [DE]Glen a dit :

I can't believe nobody's mentioned dual-wielding Glaives + Secondaries is awesome!

One of my fav' fun moment and there is also the K-Drive + Secondary, ExplOOOsives Shurikens and the I-have-not-really-tested-them Pax Arcanes+Residual Arcanes build.

But I aggree with their limit. And what mainly grind the usefullness of secondary over the years are mainly : Ammo conversion MODS, Sentinels Reload Mods, LAVOS (uni ammo) the Infinite Energy replenish mods....  And the mains culprits ARE .......................... THE "Archwing Atmospheric" and the Exalted Weapons who make primary act as a simple secondary.

55 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

Fulmin's not really a weapon that ever really grabbed my attention

I mean mostly love it because by default its a shotgun and the secondary fire toggles it to a much longer range assault rifle for the best of both in one, but I guess its versatility comes at the cost of it not scaling much into higher level content

It really depends on your loadout.

There isn't a primary that can be used in every single situation, so bringing a good secondary to fill whatever ranged/AoE role your primary lacks is nice.

Unfortunately, you just don't need to do that for most content in the game, so whether one picks secondaries over primaries, and vice-versa, is totally down to personal preference, most of the time.

Secondaries have better mods. Their basic multishot mod is superior to primaries, and they have both crit mods primed, which allows creating functional crit/status hybrids out of pretty much anything. So, as funny as it is, pistols are simply better. Especially kitguns.

12 minutes ago, HunterDigi said:

Eeeh... while it's great that you can deflect bullets while holding a weapon, it more often than not just prevents you from doing whatever you wanted to do: shooting, casting ability, even frigging landing from mid-air manouvers =)

What's wrong with them exactly? I've been passively using pathocyst with heavy throw explosion build for a few weeks, seems ok... apart from the annoyances above.

Their pathing... sucks. And I haven't bothered with them since DE removed self damage. And you've already mentioned the issues with key bindings to use them on the fly.

12 minutes ago, [DE]Glen said:

I can't believe nobody's mentioned dual-wielding Glaives + Secondaries is awesome!

Eeeh... while it's great that you can deflect bullets while holding a weapon, it more often than not just prevents you from doing whatever you wanted to do: shooting, casting ability, even frigging landing from mid-air manouvers =)

Oh and exploding glaive bind just changes between secondary fire and heavy attack bind: 

2 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

Perhaps if you guys fixed the way Glaives worked then we would? They've been broken for quite a while now...

What's wrong with them exactly? I've been passively using pathocyst with heavy throw explosion build for a few weeks, seems ok... apart from the annoyances above.

11 minutes ago, [DE]Glen said:

Perhaps if you guys fixed the way Glaives worked then we would? They've been broken for quite a while now...

There's nothing I enjoy more than watching my glaive ignore 20 grouped enemies it could slice through, just so it can go kill that 1 enemy standing on it's own instead.

12 minutes ago, _Anise_ said:

I used fulmin for the longest time but I kind of stopped, while I love its ability to switch between burst and range it just wasn't cutting it in harder content!

the weapon I was mostly using most was (Tremor,gaze,splat) primary kitgun, I put so much forma into this and got a riven, hits like a truck and the head seeking missiles are great but lacks range imo.

the other weapons I was experimenting with were the Cedo (its bouncy bomb is FUN) and Burbonko (nice but takes up a lot of screen space)

funny you mention Akstiletto prime, I was actually looking at this just now whilst reading replies, I have a few parts, and sitting on 8 relics I guess at chance of getting the rest (do people run radshare for vaulted relics, can imagine the wait times are huge)

Fulmin's not really a weapon that ever really grabbed my attention but with a standard Corrosive crit build and Heavy Caliber added as well it should do decent damage. Or you can go the Hunter munitions Viral route for using the secondary mode if you prefer. Rattleguts is the longest ranged kitgun if you're after that kinda thing, it hits decently hard but mostly makes up for it with fire rate. My personal preference for secondaries that are both effective and fun is the Pyrana prime, it hits like a runaway train, essentially it is a short to mid-ranged fully automatic shotgun with each shot counting for about 12 pellets. It's slash based, has good crit dmg and multiplier and the passive doubles your magazine size and increases the fire rate to frightening speeds. Akstiletto prime is decent but won't hit as hard. In saying that, it will still spray down most enemies, has a nice clip size and in general is a nice sidearm. Because I tend to use slow firing primaries, one of the main functions of my secondary is to act as a nully bubble popper, hence my choosing ones with decent fire rates. Another gun I thoroughly enjoy purely against Corpus is the Acrid, mod for high toxin damage, fire once ignoring their big ass shields with toxin and watch their tiny pathetic sliver of health disappear :D 

To me it doesn't matter in the slightest if the weapon is primary or secondary. At the end of the day I just see it as having two slots for carrying guns.It's all about if they're individually fun, or if they complement each other.

For example, I often equip a fast firing hitscan weapon and a beam AoE weapon such as Nukor/Atomos/Amprex which can spread effects across multiple targets at once. I like having variety of choice in my playstyle, and being able to deal with all situations as they present themselves in the most efficient way possible (enemy groups, nullifiers, tanky units, pesky roller units, you name it).

Sometimes I also just feel like using gun x for its unique mechanics and choose another gun that complements it on the other available slot.

It's that simple to me, to my playstyle. And every person is going to have their own.

Archived