Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

so why should I use a secondary weapon?

_Anise_

Question

I will just say I never used one, I never put as much effort into maxing one out because honestly they all feel meh, they are from the ones i tested, either low range, don't do enough damage or have ammo issues and just lack the punch primary weapons seem to have, so I never used them much outside balistika prime for its ghost summoning quirk.

so the new (and much needed) QOL allowing players without a secondary to carry a primary weapon and a mission objective at the same time or fire a primary while downed I am even less seeing the point of secondary weapons.

so convince me why I need a secondary weapon ? and suggest one that would be actually fun and comparable to a primary!

this thread was more or less me asking for reasons for secondary, I thought there might be a definitive reason that you MUST have one but seems optional from what I gather.

though my primary of choice is short range beam soo I guess Id be open to suggestions for long range secondaries ?

I did start building Zymos because it seems interesting and I already had all the stuff laying around to build it

2 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

Most secondaries hit harder than primaries do, with a few exceptions of course. If you want to know why, just take a look at the Primed mods available for both.

Higher mod stats, but less DPS at base for weapons of the same MR generally (there are outlires).

1 hour ago, _Anise_ said:

so convince me why I need a secondary weapon ? and suggest one that would be actually fun and comparable to a primary!

Depends on the situation. They arnt weapons in and of themselves so much as they are side arms. Backups.

- When your carrying an object.

- If you have a primary with poor ammo economy (launcher, ect).

- If you have a primary thats strong, eg sniper, but thats not good at taking down nullifier sheilds (take a rapid fire secondary)

- If you have a rapid fire or close range primary, you may want a accurate sniping backup.

- You can have a high staus secondary, put corrosive on it. Then switch to it to strip a though enemies armour than back again.

16 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

I see you use Fulmin so that might be an issue

I used fulmin for the longest time but I kind of stopped, while I love its ability to switch between burst and range it just wasn't cutting it in harder content!

the weapon I was mostly using most was (Tremor,gaze,splat) primary kitgun, I put so much forma into this and got a riven, hits like a truck and the head seeking missiles are great but lacks range imo.

the other weapons I was experimenting with were the Cedo (its bouncy bomb is FUN) and Burbonko (nice but takes up a lot of screen space)

funny you mention Akstiletto prime, I was actually looking at this just now whilst reading replies, I have a few parts, and sitting on 8 relics I guess at chance of getting the rest (do people run radshare for vaulted relics, can imagine the wait times are huge)

Kitguns are generally pretty neat, and Secondaries have better Crit (etc) Mods, so that's something to look into, I'd say.
Plus not least, woo Pax Charge for (more dakka thanks to) infinite ammo reserves.

Staticor is still plenty fun / powerful, nice addition to a precision type Primary.

Twin Kohmak (also Pyrana Prime I guess) deliver some Kohm-esque fun
if you're into the mood for that yet your Primary slot is otherwise occupied.

Arca Scisco for when you get a Shotgun 100m headshot Riven :P

5 minutes ago, (PSN)Claudija said:

Athodai - so much fun and with a beam option on Athodai, can't go wrong.

this one sounded fun, run to the market to get this, nothing ok check the wiki maybe its a drop? yeah a twitch drop :/ isn't obtainable now in any way it seems

1 minute ago, _Anise_ said:

Kuva Nukor I have been hesitant in getting because statistically is the most used secondary in the game usually meaning it's getting hit with the nerfbat some time... soon?

If it gets as you say nerfed, then you just pick up another beam weapon with high status (kit gun for example) and you have your utility back. Nukor isnt the ultimate scondary, it is just very popular.

Kuva Nukor I have been hesitant in getting because statistically is the most used secondary in the game usually meaning it's getting hit with the nerfbat some time... soon?

Catchmoon I just never got around to trying is it still good ? it already got adjusted once

1 minute ago, _Anise_ said:

1/my primary never runs out of ammo, also if I have one with ammo issues I have ample supply of mods or companions that can fill the gap

2/as already stated in my initial post, now you CAN use primary when carrying objective and downed if you do not have a secondary weapon equipped!

If you see it like this and you hate secondarys so much then just do not use them. I personally use more secondarys than primaries just because nukor utility.

Pandero, either variant- a sweet 8 round Magnum. Has a nice range and if Octavia carries it gains a bonus, not sure if Prime version does.

Zymos/ Athodai - so much fun and with a beam option on Athodai, can't go wrong.

Hystrix - Status-loaded dart gun that can be cycled to grant one of four base statuses plus modded status.

Magnus/ Pyrana Prime - like Pandero though Pyrana is more effective close range.

Acrid - I love this thing, nice Toxin dealing sidearm.

Zymos - pretty much Saryn's Spores in a handgun, even more fun if you score a headshot

Secondarys can be good. 

Kuva Nukor for Stats (Utility Weapon) is great. 

Or Catchmoon for the Exploiter Orb. Great for the Part where you have to Shoot the open Vents after removing the Parts. 

Some Secondarys can be great. But yeah, in the early Game mist of them are more a Backup if you run out of Ammo. 

1/my primary never runs out of ammo, also if I have one with ammo issues I have ample supply of mods or companions and subsume that can fill the gap and resupply me.

2/as already stated in my initial post, now you CAN use primary when carrying objective and downed if you do not have a secondary weapon equipped!

40 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

Their pathing... sucks. And I haven't bothered with them since DE removed self damage. And you've already mentioned the issues with key bindings to use them on the fly.

By pathing you mean their ricochet/bouncing? Yeah, no, sod that. Opt for a heavy build with Volatile Quick return and use a dedicated heavy attack button for the detonation. (I tend to use standard E for the throw, then detonate with MB4). The "recent" buff to the glaives has made them ridiculous, mid to long range-deployed thermonuclear devices. Can't speak for all the glaives, but both Xoris and Glaive Prime scale very well (Glaive P especially, with the guaranteed slash procs on the detonation)

32 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

Did I mention that its also because you can?

Ah, but by that same merit, you also can not.

If the question is more meant as 'convince me to invest time and resourses in a secondary weapon', is 'because you can' a good enough reason?

3 hours ago, [DE]Glen said:

I can't believe nobody's mentioned dual-wielding Glaives + Secondaries is awesome!

Considdered it, but its really more an arguement for Glaives, not really an argument for why to use a secondary.

"You can duel weild them with a glaive" - "I dont have / use a glaive" - "oh nevermind out secondarys in the bin then". Doesnt really sell it :)

3 hours ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

Sorry what? Unsure what you mean here. OP is MR 20, that isn't a factor.

MR is always a factor. An MR 10 gun will generally be better than an MR 1 gun. So comparing any weapon vs any other weapon isnt always correct. Should compare guns within the same MR bracket.

6 hours ago, [DE]Glen said:

I can't believe nobody's mentioned dual-wielding Glaives + Secondaries is awesome!

Only  FTFY 

-that said duel wielding these two is also just way to slow between throwing and shooting. To janky laggy, still difficult to aim. When it’s faster to melee and switch to previous weapon equipped. 
-can I throw the Glaive and shoot while it’s thrown? 

Also what about the rest of the dual wielding options like this advertisement below:

Spoiler

1RX5X8D.jpg

knife and handgun..when will the melee rework be finished? 

4 hours ago, _Anise_ said:

now you CAN use primary when carrying objective and downed if you do not have a secondary weapon equipped!

... Lets not forget that I've tested this myself and I can only see it as a bug since primaries are not meant to be used while carrying objective items not are their animations compatible with carrying objective items...

4 hours ago, _Anise_ said:

I will just say I never used one, I never put as much effort into maxing one out because honestly they all feel meh, they are from the ones i tested, either low range, don't do enough damage or have ammo issues and just lack the punch primary weapons seem to have, so I never used them much outside balistika prime for its ghost summoning quirk.

so the new (and much needed) QOL allowing players without a secondary to carry a primary weapon and a mission objective at the same time or fire a primary while downed I am even less seeing the point of secondary weapons.

... And lets not forget that there is no secondary comparable to a primary...

There are two main types of secondary weapons ingame, despite existing different firing types: Quirky secondaries and Non-Quirky secondaries.

... Since you like Ballistica Prime, despite the fact that the weapon itself sucks, due to its Quirk, I can only assume that you're the type of player that prefers Quirks over actual efficiency... And no, extra firepower provided by a ghost isn't "efficiency" for me because the efficiency of the weapon itself doesn't change.

Non-Quirk secondaries usually have higher efficiency than Quirky ones. My secondary is one of these because I tend to 3-shot lvl150 Grineer units in Steel Path with it.

If you're looking for a weapon that has a Quirk that you like, without the need of using Wukong for it, you're wasting your time and you're looking in the wrong pile.

Why should you use secondaries? That's simple.

• Because you can.
  • Because the game allows you to.
  • Because its intended for several layers of the game.
  • Because, most of the times, you don't need anything stronger to kill.
  • Dual Wielding with a Throwing Melee, if you're into Glaives and such.
  • Did I mention that its also because you can?

But its ultimately your call. If you don't want to use a secondary, then don't use it. But, at least, try not to include any players into a pointless debate to a decision that you have made for yourself...

This is not me being toxic or offensive, this is me being realistic... Like, no one cares about your decision and the reasons for it because its your decision and your reasons for it... We all have our reasons for using, or not using, secondaries and on top of all that, we don't include others in our decisions...

... Ok, time to solo a Steel Path grineer survival for hour and half...

2 hours ago, [DE]Glen said:

It's kind of a wasted mechanic at this point. Quick melee and the changes to how glaives work makes this pretty much have no actual value. It's just a different visual.

Archived