Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts about the story and the GRIND from a returning player after a one year hiatus

Lately I've been playing Warframe once every 1 or 2 years to catch up, do the quests, farm the most important gear and frames, then leave again. 

The reason I keep returning, and this is the good, is that I still absolutely love the world, the story, the lore and the setting of Warframe. The core combat and movement gameplay is still as satisfying as ever as well. And the fashion frame aesthetics and art direction is still amazing.

As someone who loves the main storyline, I was getting somewhat disappointed with that New War stuff. It was moving too slowly, was getting a little predictable (I hope I'm proven wrong later down the line), so I was extremely happy to see the new quests when I returned, focusing on the new warframes protea and sevagoth. Short, but very well executed with endearing characters. Heart of Deimos was also amazing, the corrupted orokin tileset has always been one of my favorite tilesets in the game and I've always enjoyed the open worlds (I know it's not everyone's cup of tea) so Deimos is definitely great for me and where I've been spending most of my time. 

Now that I'm through all that and just in the process of farming the new stuff, here comes the bad... Warframe absolutely needs more variety and options when it comes to grinding new gear. I love Steel Path, it's exactly what I have been asking for years before I quit, but despite the option to go into Steel Path and face enemies more appropriate for my endgame levels and gear, I'm still forced to do low level void fissures to farm the new primes, which is disappointing (I haven't gotten into Railjack and voidstorms yet, but I heard voidstorms are a mess atm). I also don't feel like farming Sevagoth atm despite wanting him, because as I said I'm not a fan of railjack. I have been farming xeku and lavos, but then I'm forced to do mining and fishing for the crafting, which I absolutely despise. I enjoy Warframe for the fast paced combat, not space ships or space mining. I wish there were multiple routes or options available to me to farm new gear, so I can spend more time in the game doing the activities I enjoy instead of treating it like a second job just doing a bunch of stuff I despise for the rewards and get burned out yet again. Nightwave is exactly that for that matter. 

I mean, yea, I can farm plat and buy some of that for plat, which I have done, I spent a ton of plat buying a lot of the stuff that was more boring for me to farm, but at some point you gotta ask yourself if they aren't going a little overboard and ruining the gameplay experience just for monetization. Which is the bane of F2P games I guess. 

I don't know, just some thoughts. Other looter games in the market have more universal loot tables that allow you to farm the gear you want doing the game modes you prefer. Something along those lines woud go a looong way towards making Warframe feel less "grindy" and more fun. Right now it's either pay plat and skip the entire gameplay or do stuff you dislike like a second job.

I have 0 incentive to do anymore farming for now which is totally ok because I spent thousands of steam hours in this game and I have to say I don't really see the grinding in Warframe will be changed anytime soon or more like ever. The best they can do is having you kill the same crap with different artistic design. The "open worlds" do little in changing the core gameplay too they are essentially still the same grind with but a really big map instead of a randomly generated map. It's sadly how this game or actually any game works. The gameplay stays the same you just keep doing the same crap until you are borderline bored and leave forever

The best open world is cetus and i think its the best work from DE.

What comes after like deimos is bad....fortuna is a ok open world but needs something more..maybe a more relevant event because thermia is so meh with a bad weapon(opticor vandal...the most disapointing weapon to me)

Deimos iso vaults takes a lot of time and burn players very fast and the weapons there locked in a big wall of rotations and time to get some weapons like sporotrix, arum dont worth time invested. Both weapons are just mr fodder -.-

38 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

Actually mining is kinda optional since Deimos has these pillars that give you ores.

And I think maybe even hunting is not really that important. A lot of materials can be obtained from the vaults if I'm correct.

yea, I've been doing the vaults nonstop, and I tried these pillars a few times as well, and it's nice to have that alternative, I guess I just wasn't lucky enough to get the stuff I needed to craft the frames and gear. Still on 0 for xaku's thaumic distilatte, cause that one can't even be sold by players and I didn't find it on the daily's special yet. I even did a map wide mining trip for it and got tons of other minerals but not that one lol. 

3 minutes ago, --END--Rikutatis said:

yea, I've been doing the vaults nonstop, and I tried these pillars a few times as well, and it's nice to have that alternative, I guess I just wasn't lucky enough to get the stuff I needed to craft the frames and gear. Still on 0 for xaku's thaumic distilatte, cause that one can't even be sold by players and I didn't find it on the daily's special yet. I even did a map wide mining trip for it and got tons of other minerals but not that one lol. 

Ya thaumica can be annoying to farm, still easier to get than necrathene imo. Should still be able to get some from the vault, if not might have to mine for it. In my experience i managed to get most of the thaumica i needed by the time i got enough necrathene -_-

8 hours ago, --END--Rikutatis said:

I love Steel Path, it's exactly what I have been asking for years before I quit, but despite the option to go into Steel Path and face enemies more appropriate for my endgame levels and gear, I'm still forced to do low level void fissures to farm the new primes, which is disappointing

Out of mild curiosity, do you do the low-level relic cracking with your best equipment (mods, Arcanes, anything else that modifies the base stats of a weapon or Warframe)?

• 1 month later...
On 2021-05-28 at 6:36 PM, Vaml77 said:

What comes after like deimos is bad....fortuna is a ok open world but needs something more..maybe a more relevant event because thermia is so meh with a bad weapon(opticor vandal...the most disapointing weapon to me)

Deimos iso vaults takes a lot of time and burn players very fast and the weapons there locked in a big wall of rotations and time to get some weapons like sporotrix, arum dont worth time invested. Both weapons are just mr fodder -.-

I know I'm late but:

https://youtu.be/0ldClmEAl7c

On 2021-05-28 at 8:36 AM, Vaml77 said:

I genuinely enjoyed Fortuna the most, and while Deimos did a lot I did like, I didn't like how "sit and wait" most of the bounties were and how excessive the grind was for standing. It was by far the least enjoyable rep grind out of any of them. I'd honestly rather do Simaris instead.

On 2021-05-28 at 9:50 AM, (PSN)ErydisTheLucario said:

I'm glad someone can enjoy the story, I'm fully convinced that DE is just making things up az they go along. I find the lore itself really weak in recent years, but the world itself is still pretty cool.

I'm pretty sure they have a plan with the story, but I really did not enjoy what they did with Lotus.

I really wish the open world NPC hubs didn't use the linear "Rank1(farm 10k standing)->rank 2(farm 40k standing)->Rank 3(farm 90k standing)" progression. 😖 and instead used something less grindy. Like when you earn standing you use it to buy nodes on a passive tree similar to the focus schools. The nodes could be about NPCs and their wares, or secret services, or secret areas in the hub. All kinds of things can be done with that.

Archived