Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross-Play & Cross-Save Megathread - The Soonening(TM)/Public Test Edition

Letter13

On 2023-04-25 at 11:08 AM, (XBOX)Shodian said:

Cause it's getting annoying. They're in the process of making it, give them time 

People have given them almost half a decade. It's perfectly reasonable to voice their frustrations. Why announce it this early anyway.

On 2023-05-20 at 12:22 AM, _Eclips3_ said:

People have given them almost half a decade. It's perfectly reasonable to voice their frustrations. Why announce it this early anyway.

I've been away from my main PC account for a while now. It's been a fair few months at this point, probably. 

I have tried starting over on Switch and the sheer time investment to get back to where I was isn't worth it. Let alone the premium currency and cosmetics I bought.

I had hoped for at least a transfer window to temporarily stave off the impatient people until cross save comes out properly. 

I would be happy if they charged for the service at this point. I get to get back on the grind and DE has money to invest into their development. 

Otherwise I will probably have to pass on Tennocon this year and be missing out on the duviri update. 

I am not sure what DE projects they'll get back in terms of investment seeing as certain consoles have next to no playerbase. 

Plus the move to mobile is probably going to make a lot of money. Mobile games like Genshin Impact make a lot of money despite being free due to their microtransactions. 

By announcing cross save early they probably hope to retain older players, and it has to worked to some extent, I check in with every major announcement only to find cross save still isn't a thing. 

• 3 weeks later...

so i know that a lot of people that love this game are waiting to be able to use their account from console for a long time now and I'm curious if anybody has a idea as to why they don't just let us play the Xbox version of warframe on pc like i just use my Xbox login and it would be my Xbox account even though I'm on pc without needing to merge just play the Xbox version on pc there is one game that has the exact type of way I'm meaning and its dauntless now I'm not asking anybody to play it just that anybody who has might know what I'm on about because what that game does is i can login on pc with all the stuff i had from Xbox with out needing to merge accounts or something like that

14 minutes ago, (PSN)Shaun-T-Wilson said:

legal issues

this. I'm by no means a lawyer, but I know that legal issues can take months, years, or even longer to solve. plus for the past decade or so, the different platforms were all effectively competing with each other, a period many of us know as the Console Wars, due to the influx of fanboys from every side claiming their platform is superior and all others are a waste of money; we can all laugh and make jokes about it now, but it was very real back then: I'd wager most people on the forums at least saw this behavior, even if they didn't partake in it.

crossplay is a very recent development in the grand scheme of things and its intricacies are still being worked out in warframe's case. personally I'm of the opinion that the downsides have outweighed the benefits: sure, now I can play with other platforms, but now load times are borked due to hosts being on less powerful systems, and the host migration issue has gotten worse. I'm deeply concerned about what will happen if DE succeeds in getting warframe on Mobile... can you imagine a host on a mobile phone having a stable connection? how long could they even play for without draining all their battery (they may also need that phone for work, home etc.), what if they get a call mid-game? the mind boggles.

the only tangible benefit would being able to friend request a few people I've enjoyed talking to on here, a few "forum friends" if you will, but that hasn't been added yet; crossplay right now is just throwing every player into a single swimming pool and expecting them all to swim.. and it goes about as well as you'd expect.

Edited by (PSN)robotwars7

17 minutes ago, (XBOX)Ungodly Nuke said:

yeah that makes sense but wouldn't playing the Xbox version on pc mean i would still be buying anything in the marketplace from the Xbox version or do you mean like its because i fully moved to pc and Xbox wants any way to drag me back

your dealing with microsoft and steam/epic. when you state xbox and PC. so theres still different companys involved. but your reasoning isnt totally wrong as PC companys are more open to cross save. but consoles tend to be more difficult.

4 minutes ago, (PSN)Shaun-T-Wilson said:

your dealing with microsoft and steam/epic. when you state xbox and PC. so theres still different companys involved. but your reasoning isnt totally wrong as PC companys are more open to cross save. but consoles tend to be more difficult.

i think xbox will play nice since lately they've been pretty big on the whole "play anywhere" thing. the other two not sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been play Warframe for as long as I had my Xbox One and I changed to pc over 3 years ago, I love Warframe, but it's so frustrating to see almost every other game now have this feature (or cross play enabled, but I'm not going to get into that). This game has always been a staple for me and my friends and it's sad to see us all not even play it anymore due to the lack in cross-anything. idk if I'm alone in this or not, but I just want to see if anyone else here has any answers on when this feature is going to come out. (Also they said this feature was supposed to come out last year and it's been 6 months into 2023 and nothings changed)

It's almost like this is a ten year old game that wasn't designed with cross anything in mind. Cross play is already a thing and that's been a hot mess for PC.

And I'm pretty sure the status of cross save is the same as when they last mentioned it:

On 2022-09-29 at 12:02 PM, [DE]Dudley said:

What about Cross Save?
Cross Platform Play will be our first direction in getting all Tenno to play together, and we will announce details around Cross Save in a future announcement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trst said:

And I'm pretty sure the status of cross save is the same as when they last mentioned it:

No, they talked about in their Warframe AMA earlier this year.

DigitalExtremes

Official Digital Extremes Account[S] 298 points 2 months ago

We’ve mentioned on Devstreams past, the team is hard at work on Cross Save internally. It’ll likely be released in small waves rather than all at once, similar to how we did Cross Play last year. Currently, the next step is to introduce Cross Save Clans, and settle how friends will be handled for Cross Save.

Still lots of hurdles to come (Account handling, trading), but we’re making steady progress.

- [DE]Megan

Source

And considering the wording, yeah looks like it isn't going to be a hey cross-save is coming in 2 weeks announcement at the next devstream but rather the more like situation is that it isn't coming for a while since it says there are other steps that would have a noticeable impact that needs to be done first as mentioned in the post  along with others that aren't mentioned.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Cakeman1200 said:

I've been play Warframe for as long as I had my Xbox One and I changed to pc over 3 years ago, I love Warframe, but it's so frustrating to see almost every other game now have this feature (or cross play enabled, but I'm not going to get into that). This game has always been a staple for me and my friends and it's sad to see us all not even play it anymore due to the lack in cross-anything. idk if I'm alone in this or not, but I just want to see if anyone else here has any answers on when this feature is going to come out. (Also they said this feature was supposed to come out last year and it's been 6 months into 2023 and nothings changed)

Lots of older games don't have cross-save or cross-play. Just the big popular ones that have resources to do cross-play/save. You do know that Warframe has Cross-play right? Also, there has been loads of Warframe content announced that don't have the claim of coming out within next X month/years and I am pretty sure cross-save falls in that category and not the coming in 2023 category.

Personally, I would be shocked if we don't hear anything about it during Tennocon since that is where I'd expect DE to do a big announcement like cross-save at.

Edited by XHADgaming
  • Like 3

If other games that came out before cross-save was even a thing (Dead by Daylight, Day Z, Destiny 2, Fortnite, Call of Duty, Overwatch, and plenty others) I don't see why DE is struggling for so long with this feature. By other games standards Cross-save doesn't seem like it should be taking over a year to implement, it's a little frustrating to hear a promise of it for a long while now. Again I love Warframe and miss playing the S#&$ out of it lol, but I don't see why even say in last year that it's coming and a huge focus of their team when it's going to take over a year to even get a glimpse of the feature.

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Cakeman1200 said:

If other games that came out before cross-save was even a thing (Dead by Daylight, Day Z, Destiny 2, Fortnite, Call of Duty, Overwatch, and plenty others) I don't see why DE is struggling for so long with this feature. By other games standards Cross-save doesn't seem like it should be taking over a year to implement, it's a little frustrating to hear a promise of it for a long while now. Again I love Warframe and miss playing the S#&$ out of it lol, but I don't see why even say in last year that it's coming and a huge focus of their team when it's going to take over a year to even get a glimpse of the feature.

Competitive games don't really exist without a very active community, which is what all of those are. Meanwhile WF is 100% functional as a single player experience. So it's a far more important feature for those games.

Plus those other games are made/owned by massive companies that can afford the resources necessary to push cross-anything out. DbD is the only odd one out but that game doesn't have issues like WF's inventories or social systems to synchronize between accounts. And trying to merge up to four different accounts (potentially five if mobile launches before cross save) is likely the primary hurdle that's holding up the process.

Also the implementation of cross play is already causing a lot of friction in the community. Issues may only get worse as cross save becomes a thing (at the least it won't solve the problems already created) and things will get substantially worse if they mess up account synchronizations.

6 hours ago, (XBOX)Cakeman1200 said:

Dead by Daylight

DBD doesn't have cross save, it had with Stadia because Stadia was going to shut down forever.

6 hours ago, (XBOX)Cakeman1200 said:

Day Z

Pretty sure it doesn't, heck it doesn't even have cross play.

The other games you mentioned are massive with companies that can afford to burn money if they wanted to.

Warframe is ancient definitely harder to implement and I don't know about you but I don't want this feature to launch in a bad state, imagine logging in then woops your account is gone or your Mr 30 account is now a Mr 5 that has the same name but in another platform.

On 2023-05-12 at 1:31 AM, (PSN)ARC_Paroe said:

"old gen"? Do you mean PS3? 
Because PS4 is still effectively a high qaulity 2080 with a good i8 processor. 
If your game has such high requirements that youre asking for a 3000 series and ryzen 6 just to be "able to play" youre... The problem and should probably stop complaining while youre ahead. 

Switch and mobile will be the low-spec devices that hold everyone else back, but PS4 and XBone are definitely not the bottleneck. To think they are shows incredible elitism... Or how out of touch someone is. 

you are not even close to what the ps4 has, if it had an i7 and a 2080 it would run almost every AAA title on 60fps or more on max settings. the ps4 meanwhile struggles to even get 45fps in a game like warframe at the slightest mention of an explosion or any particle effect

the ps4 is running on an APU not even a gpu, its running on potatoes if you will, i think it was the equivilant of a 7850 and an fx-8350 which if you put that in a pc you can barely make the 60fps marc on medium settings in most games.

enhanced engine needs a good gpu, not even a 3060 or 2070, just a good ol' 1660ti would get the job done but ps4 is just too old, even the ps4 pro with its magical 4teraflops doesnt run warframe on 60fps stable.

i hope next time we do our reserch before we start disscredting other's words.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WHY-ME-CAKEY said:

you are not even close to what the ps4 has.

I think it's always gonna be an uphill battle talking to Console-only players about performance. With the PC elitist stigma and the console players trained to be defensive via the console wars, they've become very anti-consumer. 

Edited by (XBOX)Architect Prime

10 hours ago, WHY-ME-CAKEY said:

you are not even close to what the ps4 has, if it had an i7 and a 2080 it would run almost every AAA title on 60fps or more on max settings. the ps4 meanwhile struggles to even get 45fps in a game like warframe at the slightest mention of an explosion or any particle effect

the ps4 is running on an APU not even a gpu, its running on potatoes if you will, i think it was the equivilant of a 7850 and an fx-8350 which if you put that in a pc you can barely make the 60fps marc on medium settings in most games.

enhanced engine needs a good gpu, not even a 3060 or 2070, just a good ol' 1660ti would get the job done but ps4 is just too old, even the ps4 pro with its magical 4teraflops doesnt run warframe on 60fps stable.

i hope next time we do our reserch before we start disscredting other's words.

So looking it up... Im wrong on what the PS4 pro is equivalent to, but on principle im not wrong in the slightest. 
Its effectively running a 1060TI and an I5 processor. Any game that isnt the witcher with individual hair rendering should run fine on that; Hell my personal computer is slightly weaker than that and runs games like new world at 60 frames on medium. 

But youre also forgetting something very important: Console versions of warframe are MADE for that console. Theyre optimized for that system, and run better than on PC where you have to over-compensate with hardware to run the game at the same level. 
My personal computer is a 1050TI with an i3 processor. I can run warframe at medium with 60 frames, i just take a minute to load in. On PS4 the bottleneck is often trying to load in to PC players who then disconnect and force a host migration because a player loading in tanks performance for a minute and those PC players often cant handle it.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

And what of the thermals?

It runs hot. I use a desk fan to keep it in reasonable temperatures when i play anything taxing. My desktop computer is also a compact one with major airflow issues, but with a normal tower i think it'd be fine heat wise. 

2 hours ago, (PSN)ARC_Paroe said:

It runs hot. I use a desk fan to keep it in reasonable temperatures when i play anything taxing. My desktop computer is also a compact one with major airflow issues, but with a normal tower i think it'd be fine heat wise. 

Yeah, I to each his own, but I wouldn't risk my system like that. 

15 hours ago, (PSN)ARC_Paroe said:

So looking it up... Im wrong on what the PS4 pro is equivalent to, but on principle im not wrong in the slightest. 
Its effectively running a 1060TI and an I5 processor. Any game that isnt the witcher with individual hair rendering should run fine on that; Hell my personal computer is slightly weaker than that and runs games like new world at 60 frames on medium. 

But youre also forgetting something very important: Console versions of warframe are MADE for that console. Theyre optimized for that system, and run better than on PC where you have to over-compensate with hardware to run the game at the same level. 
My personal computer is a 1050TI with an i3 processor. I can run warframe at medium with 60 frames, i just take a minute to load in. On PS4 the bottleneck is often trying to load in to PC players who then disconnect and force a host migration because a player loading in tanks performance for a minute and those PC players often cant handle it.

youre not wrong but youre not right either, the game is indeed better optimised for console when playing the console version but you gotta keep in mind the game is now being updated with all the new fancy pc hardware in mind and the console players are left with the choice of making the jump without years of progress or stay on a console that can output 60 frames in orbiter, try hunting with effects entensity set to max and tell me if your ps4 can hold 30 frames, or shoot a bramma for example. the game is good and very nice until you do something extra demanding like particle effects, im sure the 1050 or a 1060 is way better at rendering particle effects than a 7850 and this has been documented in many weapon releases like the bramma. acceltra, lenz, ignis and so on, the main problem isnt the game, im sure the devs are doing everything they can, the consoles are outdated by alot, you can build a pc the same price a ps4 that performs better than a ps4 but we're not here to @#&$ measure. holding 60 frames on a ps4 or an xbox one s or a project scorpio is almost imposable if your playing an intense mission