Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross-Play & Cross-Save Megathread - The Soonening(TM)/Public Test Edition

Letter13

2 hours ago, Drasiel said:

I am aware the information is part of your warframe account. Are you aware that contracts exist that can prevent you from doing what you want with your content when it involves other parties? Despite having 3 different account migrations at the launch of warframe on each console it was only from PC to a console and never from any of the consoles to another console. Clearly, there is something blocking that beyond DE just not wanting to do it, especially considering the outcry it generated that only PC could be migrated. They may not be able to delete your account information on console without very specific reasons already outlined in their contracts. We know they can lock your account if you breach the TOS or EULA but I doubt when they first made those contracts they considered putting in a clause for the ability to delete the account for migration especially considering how staunchly opposed the consoles are to migration. DE wasn't big enough to demand that kind of caveat.

Take a moment and consider this: trading, friends, clans, etc are all social aspects that rely heavily on account information right? Account information that is currently segregated to different platforms and set up to block exactly those interactions. We can play together but that's not the same kind of back-end setup to have the accounts actually exchange items and we know that the code was not future-proofed 8 years ago to allow for that kind of interaction. The different account types could even be coded in such a way to actively prevent that interaction for all we know. Account interactions like that are likely dependent on Cross save being up and running.

I appreciate that everyone is frustrated and tired of waiting and other companies do this faster, but other games are being built from the ground up to support cross-save and cross-play. There was no point in even considering the possibility until maybe 3 or 4 years ago when the console manufacturers finally decided walled gardens might not be the best choice here and for DE got big enough to actually have some weight behind their requests.

I'm aware of contracts existing that can prevent them from doing something like that, but if that were the reason they couldn't transfer accounts or enable cross save and they failed to reveal that to the community, their PR team is pretty incompetent. As it stands it looks like they've got an issue with their technical abilities, given that the data could go from PC to consoles with no issue. Trading may have some form of system in place causing problems there, however fixing that wouldn't be a giant technical leap, given that the game is built on the same code across all platforms as evidenced by the rest of it working. The friends list failing to work across consoles when we can invite across consoles just shows me that all they need to do there is migrate friends lists to a combined server the same as matchmaking. Clans are likely in a similar position to the friends list and trading combined, given that it uses social and item aspects both.

At this point the only real excuses I would view as acceptable for us not being given any form of ETA or option to transfer would be contract negotiations being underway to get out of restrictions keeping them from doing so, or them outright admitting that they lack the infrastructure to handle migrating everything onto a combined server currently and they aren't sure when they'll have the capacity to do so. Neither is ideal, however either one would at least be honest and transparent.

I really wish they would pick up on the players wanting transparency with how much most of us appreciate data miners getting us accurate information that DE refuses to release, and sometimes outright lies about.

6 hours ago, (PSN)Unlucky1307 said:

I'm aware of contracts existing that can prevent them from doing something like that, but if that were the reason they couldn't transfer accounts or enable cross save and they failed to reveal that to the community

You are 110% correct on that. Whatever had to take place for this to happen probably took place years ago. These forums are simply full of people who make excuses for things to be as negative as possible. They will always claim that it's too much work or it'll somehow ruin the game or this or that. I'm no white knight, but you have to just ignore some people because they might as well be excuse bots. But guess what? They're usually wrong about everything. It's funny how they'll even claim that already announced features aren't coming. up until release (and sometimes after). It's been like this since 2014. It's like backround noise. I listen to their dark hearts grasping at negativity to help me sleep at night. 

DE can do whatever they set out to do. Show support for features you want to see.

Edited by (XBOX)Architect Prime
typo

1 minute ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

It'll happen when Mobile Warframe gets launched. Just so people can still do missions while on the toilet seat.

Has it been specifically stated that's when it comes? I would think it wouldn't happen until at least the mobile launch, and I'd think full cross platform play is likely on mobile launch, but cross save might not necessarily come as soon as mobile fully launches and might be the final step after the mobile launch. If DE have commented on it and I just haven't seen disregard this comment. 

1 hour ago, NecroPed said:

Has it been specifically stated that's when it comes? I would think it wouldn't happen until at least the mobile launch, and I'd think full cross platform play is likely on mobile launch, but cross save might not necessarily come as soon as mobile fully launches and might be the final step after the mobile launch. If DE have commented on it and I just haven't seen disregard this comment. 

There's no mention of it anywhere. Just wild tin foil hat here. It would make more sense to have it cross save capable when mobile launch or shortly afterwards. Yes there will be new players on mobile but the vast majority of the warframe playerbase want to transfer over rather than starting fresh. I can't wait to pull out my phone at the table in the restaurant for a quick mission while other people check their facebook.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 2:08 PM, (PSN)Unlucky1307 said:

I'm aware of contracts existing that can prevent them from doing something like that, but if that were the reason they couldn't transfer accounts or enable cross save and they failed to reveal that to the community, their PR team is pretty incompetent. As it stands it looks like they've got an issue with their technical abilities, given that the data could go from PC to consoles with no issue. Trading may have some form of system in place causing problems there, however fixing that wouldn't be a giant technical leap, given that the game is built on the same code across all platforms as evidenced by the rest of it working. The friends list failing to work across consoles when we can invite across consoles just shows me that all they need to do there is migrate friends lists to a combined server the same as matchmaking. Clans are likely in a similar position to the friends list and trading combined, given that it uses social and item aspects both.

At this point the only real excuses I would view as acceptable for us not being given any form of ETA or option to transfer would be contract negotiations being underway to get out of restrictions keeping them from doing so, or them outright admitting that they lack the infrastructure to handle migrating everything onto a combined server currently and they aren't sure when they'll have the capacity to do so. Neither is ideal, however either one would at least be honest and transparent.

I really wish they would pick up on the players wanting transparency with how much most of us appreciate data miners getting us accurate information that DE refuses to release, and sometimes outright lies about.

Okay, let's break this down a little:

• DE announced crossplay to the public at tennocon 2021.
  • Warframe was released on PlayStation on Nov 15th, 2013
  • Warframe was released on Xbox on Sept 2nd, 2014,
  • Warframe was released on Switch on Nov 20, 2018.

Those original contracts clearly did not allow the transfer of accounts from the console manufacturers' environments to elsewhere. Microsoft and Sony have gone back and forth over whether crossplay is something they want to allow for any games on their platforms and especially between competing console brands, for well over two decades now. Normally their stance is dependent on who is in the dominant market position at the time. Only with some really big-name publishers pushing crossplay and demanding it with substantial money riding on the inclusion is it becoming a reality for all gaming companies.

We don't know what stipulations, caveats, and permission are in whatever new contract had to be signed to allow for crossplay and cross-save across platforms with multiple companies. They still may not be able to delete the account data from the consoles, they may need to convert the existing accounts into a new cross-save friendly form. if that conversion still requires deletion they may not be able to delete it until the cross-save friendly account is fully ready to be deployed. If they can't delete the account data from the consoles then they can't migrate players to a new platform they would be forced to clone the account and we don't even know if that is in the new contract or not either.

You don't know and neither do I what a "big technological leap" is for warframe, it's a propriety engine that neither of us works with and nearly every time in programming something that looks easy on the surface doesn't mean that it is actually easy to code and implement. The friends list is tied to your account, entering a mission and playing is not; except for mission statistics and rewards gained that are saved to your account at the end of missions. Crossplay has not affected any rewards from missions, the way items drop in missions, affinity gain, or your mission statistics. Crossplay isn't having an effect on your account information as it currently stands except for platform-agnostic additions like the numbers added to our warframe profile to prevent username duplication issues and the icons added to our names to distinguish our home platform.

I want an ETA too, I would love an ETA but after 10 years I know why they aren't giving one. If they have to delay for any reason people bust out the pitchforks and torches and they hang on to the anger at those delays for at least half a decade. If they rush to finish it before the deadline and it's flawed or broken because of it, out come the pitchforks and torches again. Railjack was added to the game 4 years ago and is still brought up weekly, if not daily on the forums for its failure of a launch. Silence has less backlash than either other situation. In the case of cross-save, I'll pray to any god that will listen that they don't rush the deadline and it doesn't come out flawed because I don't want to lose my account. I still remember in the single update days when DE did something with their database and accidentally lost every player's account data and everyone had to start from scratch. If something like that happened to even 25% of players that could be a killing blow to the company.

DE knows we want transparency but in anything involving lawyers and contracts, they may not be allowed to give it. Contracts and coding both can be very laden with "Hurry up and wait" syndrome. Look I'm impatient too, I want an ETA, I want to have access to the unique but not platform-locked items from my Xbox account, and I want to be able to use my switch to play warframe without starting over when I'm travelling or bedridden. Despite what other players might uncharitably assume, I'm not trying to make excuses so much as explain the problems I see preventing what I want and what you want from happening.

Crossplay was officially released on December 2, 2022, a 1-year 5 month turnaround from the original announcement to execution. They had always said they were working on crossplay first and then tackling cross-save. There probably has been some overlap but if you want to be the most charitable to DE they have been working on cross-save for only about 3 months of time. If you want to be the least charitable to DE they have been working on cross-save for 1 year and 8 months. Players have wanted and requested cross-play and cross-save since warframe first landed on PlayStation a decade ago, but we have officially been waiting for cross-play and cross-save for about 1 year and 8 months of total time which isn't what I consider unreasonable for warframe development. They don't show us completed or near completed stuff at tennocon it's "this is what we are doing next". If you want to say that's a bad decision go right ahead, but you're always going to get challenged when you say "this is easy and they need to do this easy thing right now" because none of us know if it's actually easy and a lot of the time the history of the game gives hints that it is not.

• Like 4

I feel for everyone constantly spamming cross-save lol. I'd play more if my stuff wasn't on PS4. The game is pretty rough on last gen and it's been borderline unplayable in groups since launch. You might as well not even party up to do the open worlds on console unless you hate yourself. 

17 hours ago, (PSN)Dirtymurph said:

I feel for everyone constantly spamming cross-save lol. I'd play more if my stuff wasn't on PS4. The game is pretty rough on last gen and it's been borderline unplayable in groups since launch. You might as well not even party up to do the open worlds on console unless you hate yourself. 

This is where I'm at at this point. Playing on a ps4 even with it being a pro with a SSD upgrade the load times are atrocious and have made me want to only play on it once a week for the archon hunts, even that is painful. I've started a new PC account just so I can play the game to some degree, but all of my good equipment and some items that you can no longer obtain like the murkray bait blueprint are on my PSN account with no way to transfer any of it over. If I just knew "Hey, cross save won't be around for another year or more" I would probably make an attempt at getting a ps5 assuming I could find one in stock just so I could play Warframe on the account I actually enjoy more comfortably.

@Skoomaseller i might just be me but they've had more then enough time to start working on cross progression hell the community has been wanting it forrr years and for me I've played a lot of this game but i wanted to migrate towards pc and I don't even have the power to bring myself to start another account so even tho i still have my series xs i just flat out don't want to play it i might even be a little more patient if they'd at least give us some vague release date but no the company that rakes in fists full of money by selling digital currency doesnt even have the curtesy to do that and are more worried with coming out with more cosmetic items for people to blow plat on 

11 minutes ago, (XBOX)killdil60 said:

@Skoomaseller i might just be me but they've had more then enough time to start working on cross progression hell the community has been wanting it forrr years and for me I've played a lot of this game but i wanted to migrate towards pc and I don't even have the power to bring myself to start another account so even tho i still have my series xs i just flat out don't want to play it i might even be a little more patient if they'd at least give us some vague release date but no the company that rakes in fists full of money by selling digital currency doesnt even have the curtesy to do that and are more worried with coming out with more cosmetic items for people to blow plat on 

tbh I don't know what response you're responding to because I can't be arsed to find it. mind quoting?

EDIT: ok I'm guessing this is about the lack of updates regarding crossplay. 

I agree with your sentiments, this is just another thing DE announced WAAAY too early. I still don't want them to rush it and give us crap work though.

Edited by Skoomaseller

I apologize if this has been asked but I couldn't find much info on it.

I just came back to the game after a 4 year absence and noticed crossplay is now a feature. I'm wondering if there is planned support for crossplay voice chat and friending. I want to play with my buddy on PC (I'm on ps4) but communicating is difficult because ps4 doesn't have discord. I need to use discord on my laptop but it's cumbersome because if I have voice always on he can hear my game in the background and pushing a button to speak takes me out of combat for a bit, as well as the fact that I can't use my headset on both devices at the same time. Not sure if there's a way to split audio/mic between my laptop and ps4 either.

Anyhow, are there plans to fully integrate all the features in crossplay and is there any sort of timeline? I see that crossplay is a relatively new feature so i get why it's not in yet.

Thanks in advanced!

On 3/13/2023 at 11:44 AM, (PSN)NozzySauce said:

I'm wondering if there is planned support for crossplay voice chat and friending. I want to play with my buddy on PC (I'm on ps4) but communicating is difficult because ps4 doesn't have discord.

There has been an update to discord allowing voice chat on playstation 5 

So I used to play warframe a lot on my Nintendo Switch and I want to play again but this time on my computer, I want to know if its possible to play with the same account or I will have to start a new one on pc.

Sorry for spealing mistakes my english is rusty.

28 minutes ago, -Krism- said:

"It is possible" implies you've found a solution to do it

"Is it possible?" asks a question, along with a question mark at the end; I advise you to change the title to not mislead others

You are correct, I didn´t paid too much attetion on it, thank you.

I no longer play on the PlayStation 5 version of Warframe and now had to start from the beginning I was wondering if Cross save will be mentioned in a future Prime Time or Dev Stream?

I do not want to loose my already claimed content on PS5 I would really like to move it to the system I’m going to play Warframe the most on. And I feel cross save will help me keep from having to go back to step one.