Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it just me or is Valkyr in a saddest of states.

(XBOX)Architect Prime

1 hour ago, Twin_Fawn said:

There aren't any other options that actually retain any gameplay depth as far as I can tell ><

As soon as you get on Merulina, you have one weapon and no practical ability to use Helminth skills aside from long duration ones you can set between waves. Also, no customization of mobility by using mods or arcanes..

That leaves you with 2 set and forget skills (Merulina and Aquablades), 1 largely undesirable skill (Riptide) and then..

Basically your gun, and sea snares. K-Drive, one gun and one okay active ability..

I thought about fun stuff like modding for super CC but then found out Sea Snare duration only affects how long an enemy is trapped for - the bubbles themselves always only last 20 seconds while waiting for an enemy.

It's not like other Warframes like Wisp where you can have fun with a variety build if you don't just stack for motes.

The moment Merulina is involved, Yareli becomes seriously basic. The stacked pistol build is just as engaging as a balanced build on her from my perspective..

If you figure something fun out, let me know ^^;

Haha, I’m thinking what I’ll find fun is not your cup of tea. Personally, I think Merulina’s been a lovely tool for ADSing while always on the move, and it feels really fluid to cast abilities while on it. The Aqua blades can feel pretty good as I move around on and off Merulina; they’re basically a damage aura that staggers enemies and makes it a little safer to get some melee in. I find that her 4 looks pretty cool, and is a great grouping ability, and periodically throwing out some bubbles while floating around can help keep the damage lowered.

Honestly, I was really surprised both by how much energy she has at core power, and how strong Merulina can be (I think I had an Intensify for that level 100, and will need to see how Merulina fares without ability strength). I’m pretty good at the k-drive, so flowing through the level felt fine. I do still need to test more tilesets though, as I haven’t seen how Merulina fares in the Kuva Fortress or Asteroid tileset.

That said, I can see how she sort of falls off to the wayside if a crazy-powerful sporelacer is brought; your crit build sounds like it would simplify a lot of gameplay outside of SP, which is why I’m thinking of using it in SP where it may get a chance to shine for me. 🤔 It does make me wonder how I can build my own Sporelacer to work in tandem with the rest of the kit that I brought, instead of taking up all the usefulness. Hmm, cool cool

3 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Haha, I’m thinking what I’ll find fun is not your cup of tea.

I mean.. I find her fun enough to play, but I think one of the things that keeps me playing other warframes for so long is making different builds for each one and some weird ones like an eternally floating wisp, switch bomber titania or ultra parkour boosted protea.. I guess she's just really limited feeling and that's fine for the occasional play but I can't really fall in love with her.

So she's just kinda a warframe that I'll use for stuff, not one that's in my heart.

12 minutes ago, Twin_Fawn said:

I mean.. I find her fun enough to play, but I think one of the things that keeps me playing other warframes for so long is making different builds for each one and some weird ones like an eternally floating wisp, switch bomber titania or ultra parkour boosted protea.. I guess she's just really limited feeling and that's fine for the occasional play but I can't really fall in love with her.

So she's just kinda a warframe that I'll use for stuff, not one that's in my heart.

Fair enough, I get that. I like fighting with these Warframes, which I picked up wasn't such a thing that interested you when you're talking about maxing crit and one-trick ponies. Your personal preference has been noted, and I'll be playing Yareli in a different way

At least Valkyr still has SOME use in the metagame. The only really pointless part of her kit is her 1, everything else works fine for her playstyle of "ME ANGY! 'SLASH'". And while the stance moveset for her ult could do with a little update to have a wider attack reach, it still works well in high-end content if you mod properly like any other frame.

Don't get me wrong, she DOES need some tuning up, like Nezha, Wukong, Vauban and Ember needed, but it's a bit exaggerate to say she's at the very bottom of the barrel when it comes to gameplay state. That honour goes to Nyx*, with the new Yareli now being a close second.

*Let's be honest, when a frame's entire existence is rendered obsolete by a STATUS PROC, then there's something very, very wrong with that frame.

5 hours ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

I'm currently working on voracious matasis and enraged umbral build. Testing on steel path missions. 

Valkyr's armor is such that many regenerative abilities can keep up with the incoming damage if you really pump them up. Because of this, I'm alternating between guns and hysteria with the enraged augment. the claws seem to have quite a bit more range than is actually listed.

4 hours ago, Zoh_Veldae said:

Let's be honest, when a frame's entire existence is rendered obsolete by a STATUS PROC, then there's something very, very wrong with that frame.

Radiation procs mimic Chaos, but which one does that, plus enslaves an enemy, removes defenses, makes the frame invulnerable, and releases an AoE of all the absorbed damage? 

Is it Blast?  Must be Blast! 😉

6 hours ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

I'm currently working on voracious matasis and enraged umbral build. Testing on steel path missions. 

44 minutes ago, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

Valkyr's armor is such that many regenerative abilities can keep up with the incoming damage if you really pump them up. Because of this, I'm alternating between guns and hysteria with the enraged augment. the claws seem to have quite a bit more range than is actually listed.

My conclusion for this thread is going to be that Valkyr is more or less a more advanced build rather than being outright bad. She doesn't operate under the expectations or build logic of much of the game these days and requires powerful gear to work properly. That's my verdict for the time-being. 

On 2021-10-06 at 4:46 AM, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

Though with the Synth Equilibrium package, you can Hysteria infinitely with the right build, especially with Dispensary infused. Throw in Hysterical Assault and you can even shoot to pop nullies without the risking anything. Almost perfect fulltime immortality. Is it good? Well, you're stuck with a low tier melee weapon as your main damage source...

I just replaced Shield Break with Sevagoth's Gloom. I put Rage on her. So to kill me they need damage my health but that gives me energy I use to recover lost health creating endless loop. It is not literal immortality but it is pretty close plus you get life steal without need to use exalted claws. 6% with intensify. Can recommend narrow minded so Gloom's aura is smaller and you spend less energy

6 hours ago, Repair_Unit_3k6 said:

I just replaced Shield Break with Sevagoth's Gloom. I put Rage on her. So to kill me they need damage my health but that gives me energy I use to recover lost health creating endless loop. It is not literal immortality but it is pretty close plus you get life steal without need to use exalted claws. 6% with intensify. Can recommend narrow minded so Gloom's aura is smaller and you spend less energy

My comment was to show that you were wrong about that one doesn't want to have Hysteria active all the time, as well as the notion of it being just an emergency ability. It wasn't a comment stating one of my Valk builds for no reason, so your reply is kinda off point in that regard.

With that said, I've been running that Gloom instead of Paralysis setup since Sevagoth dropped, though I also run Stretch to slow down nearby enemies in combat, just to make that survivability go a bit farther. Pretty fun to Gloom + Warcry a Showdown Lich and watch them basically stop moving. (Also, I'm not running Eternal War because it eats a mod slot and I always get the energy to recast it anyway.)

Valkyr is unpopular for two major reasons: she remains locked to a fairly narrow scope of effect, and she demands more player involvement than the average frame.

Even through augments, Valkyr has access to neither the AoEs nor the passive splash damage that have become ever more attractive (and common) throughout the game's development. She's strong -- functionally immortal, a good melee weapons platform and hands out finishers like Halloween candy -- but her scope of effect remains narrow and requires the player to remain fully involved in killing every enemy, making her unpopular. Leading into the second point, her damage and tankiness require constant player input. She isn't the low-effort damage of Mesa, and she's not the low-effort tank of Inaros.

On 2021-10-18 at 9:04 PM, SenorClipClop said:

Valkyr has access to neither the AoEs nor the passive splash damage that have become ever more attractive (and common)

As I always say, unless it nukes half a map or summons exalted weapon chances are you wont use abilities as main damage source. She doesn't needs offensive ability, none of frames needs one in my opinion as we carry 3 weapons at all times. Weapons are sufficient to sent suckers back to cold below

On 2021-10-16 at 8:37 PM, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

My comment was to show that you were wrong about that one doesn't want to have Hysteria active all the time, as well as the notion of it being just an emergency ability.

My bad, we misunderstood each other. What I was saying is not general rule how to use hysteria but rather how I prefer to use it. You can have it running almost permanently if you want but I prefer to not so I get access to my weapons besides exalted claws. I just prefer to use it as emergency ability and quickly trigger it when nearing death and unable to quickly hit something to heal up with gloom

Yes, as many other warframes, she's aged badly even when people who say otherways defend the state of many of the older warframes, made useless by the evolution of the game itslef.

Also, most people talk about killing bosses (on what she still is one of the best warframes) or killing low level mobs outside Steel Path.

On 2021-09-08 at 1:05 AM, (XBOX)Architect Prime said:

Seriously. I never use her anymore. Never use zipline. Don't need warcry. There are weapons that do the same thing as the third ability. The ultimate can't be built for. 

Are there any builds that actually set Valkyr apart as a good frame. 

I won't say it is just you cause I do feel like she's been left in a bad state for a very long while but at the same time she is still pretty viable . Valkyr and Ash were nerfed many many years ago and haven't really been retouched ever since ; for as much as they can still work even in endgame missions they both deserve a rework . 

Valkyr is one of my most used frames and I do agree she needs a rework bad.

Not because shes weak, but because her kit scales badly in higher leveled content. If a rework isn't possible, make War-cry recast able, and tweak hysteria to scale better in steel path, since at the moment you're better off using a melee weapon with life strike, which ironically is energy cost free, has better scaling damage, leaches more health, and you're just as immortal if you use that magical block button that people seem to have forgotten exists. 

Le 08/09/2021 à 01:05, (XBOX)Architect Prime a dit :

Never use zipline

Me neither, but it's really nice to move away to deactivate 4th ability without danger.

Don't need warcry

Oh ! My friend ! I don't know what are you missing ! 😁

Warcry is so nice that DE had to nerf it when infused bu the Helminth system.

Extremely useful on Steel Path with Status effect weapons or just to fast gain combo counter points.

There are weapons that do the same thing as the third ability

Not at all !!! This is my favorite ability ! Just use its augment mod. You will pull enemis all around you, they will be opened to ground finishers and stunned. This was intended to work with Valkyr, it's her hidden damage multiplier : ground finishers can be done without specific animations and they have a specific multiplier for each kind of weapon. The weapon that has the highest ground finisher multiplier in the game is (how convenient !😃) Valkyr Talons ! No less than x120 damage (six hits with x20 damage multiplier). Can you even imagine this (and with no mods) ? +11000% Valkyr Talons base damage !!! And the best : it can hit multiples enemies in one hit.

The ultimate can't be built for

Of course it can ! When I play Valkyr, I have her 4th on the whole mission : it's almost god mode. I've made a video on this, even though I've changed a bit my build since then, it can maybe help you (it's in French though).

Le 08/09/2021 à 01:21, (PSN)Madurai-Prime a dit :

It's just you. Valkyr is an acolyte killer with no effort, thanks to that ultimate you said can't be built. 

It depends on the individual player and what they want to do.

Totally agree !

Valkyr is an acolyte killer with no effort,

i'd say there's plenty of effort taken already if you gave up your entire frame just to kill some scrawny emos that most primarys and secondarys can take care of already during the time that you're shield gated. i mean instead of that, you could have a frame thats usefull for the rest of the mission instead of the female angry spiderman.

IMO, her 1 just straight up needs to be replaced with a new ability. every frame has a better ripline in the form of an operator already. And if DE wants to keep it for the meme, then sure, but make the rest of her kit make up for it.

Paralysis and warcry shouldnt even be 2 different abilities. Just make it one that buffs  when tapped, and debuffs/knockdowns when held down. tap cast is quick and doesnt require a frame animation, while holding down makes you stop in your tracks and do the big angry scream that knocks down enemies and slows them when they stand up.

With how tanky we can get in this game already even for highlevel content, getting temporary immunity is not really that big of a deal, so her 4 needs some special stuff to go with it. Maybe add an ability (on 2/3, after merging them) that creates mirror images/clones every time you hit an enemy that hit the surrounding enemies. Could even make it fit with her norse theme and give it an einherjar connection. This ability could be a toggle that drains life instead (on hit?), making it quite unique without restricting 4 and even synergising with her lifesteal. This would also let her get AoE with her claws, solving another problem. (assuming that you can keep the health drain ability running)

Something just needs to happen with that frame, and there's no reason to stay in denial just because you like her. Anyone who really likes that frame should be thankfull for any bone that DE throws her because at the moment she's just really sad.

Archived