Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Valkyr: Touch ups, to be included with the upcoming delux.

Joezone619

With the new war update drawing closer, and with it, a good chance we might get the valkyr delux, or possible changes to valkyr, i thought i might make a simple list of changes/tweaks/reworks i'd like to see for valkyr.

-Warcry duration increase or cost reduction.
-Talon range increase, up to 5m at bare minimum.
-Full rework for talon's stance combos.
-Hysteria cost/second reduction.
-Talons damage increase.
-Ripline rework.
-Paralysis rework.

its a bit of a list sure, but to be fair, valkyr hasn't been tweaked/fixed in years. Infact its been so long, almost every other frame from around when valkyr was made, has gotten reworks, or major tweaks, except for valkyr... Even limbo. Now do i think all these things should be added, and changed? No, these are just problems i've had with valkyr, and issues i'd like resolved, just suggestions for changes, nothing more.

As for what to rework abilities into, i leave that up to DE, and/or the rest of the community. I can give a few suggestions like Ripline latching onto enemies, draining health/second, or paralysis being a constant active that slows enemies down in a radius. But in all honesty, so long as they make some major change to fix valkyr and finally bring her up to the level of newer frames, i'll be happy.

2 hours ago, Joezone619 said:

-Warcry duration increase or cost reduction.

Id have no issue with either of the possibilities, although I doubt both would happen

-Talon range increase, up to 5m at bare minimum.

Needs more then 5M to compete with other melees due to the inability to use acolyte mods. Honestly I wish it had another gimmick besides just “moar range” like baruuk and excal but Idk what specific changes Id make in that department. 

-Full rework for talon's stance combos.

Granted it has been a bit since I played valk but I don’t remember her stances being too bad, but if this change it wouldnt bother me. 

-Hysteria cost/second reduction.

Wont happen. The original reason for the changes in cost was to prevent perma invincibility, and that will not be reverted anytime soon. 

-Talons damage increase.

Their damage is actually quite respectable, especially with the hysteria augment, but their issue is partially range and lack of utility. 

-Ripline rework.

Sure

-Paralysis rework.

Please yes

But with all this said, dont get your hopes up. DE claims reworks are really impactful in the grand scheme of things, and its therefore unlikely we will get any major changes for that reason

6 hours ago, Joezone619 said:

Paralysis rework.

I like Paralysis--sort of!*--the way it is, but it would be nice if the  bug causing it to do roughly half the damage it should could get fixed after all these years.

*Yes, it would be better still if it worked properly and its damage multiplier was increased further or it received enemy level scaling and/or the base ability got some more utility.   But hey, if a really obvious Paralysis bug that's existed since at least 2017 can't get fixed, I don't have much hope for anything else.

6 hours ago, Joezone619 said:

-Ripline rework.

Whenever I read those words, I have to link to this awesome idea:

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1259697-ripline-rework-suggestion/

Simpler still, there's the proposal to make it pull targets (preferably multiple targets) to Valk when she's on the ground, and pull Valk to targets when she's in the air.

1 hour ago, (PSN)LoisGordils said:

Invincibility and lifesteal ain't enough?

No, in fact they are counter intuitive. Why would you need life steal if you are invincible? Or why need to be invincible if you can life steal? 

And when comparing valk to other exalted users, she falls behind because while she will easily outlast most of them (baruuk is quite survivable in his own regard) they all can reach their targets before she can. 

19 minutes ago, (PSN)CommanderC2121 said:

No, in fact they are counter intuitive. Why would you need life steal if you are invincible? Or why need to be invincible if you can life steal? 

And when comparing valk to other exalted users, she falls behind because while she will easily outlast most of them (baruuk is quite survivable in his own regard) they all can reach their targets before she can. 

Perhaps because they intended you to slip in and out of Hysteria as needed instead of trying to stay permanently in the mode. 

The Exilus augment Hysteria has for the leap is absurdly good for getting on top of mobs to shred them. Personally never had an issue with range on the claws. If ever I needed to cleave a massive pack, thats what my normal melee weapon is for. 

50 minutes ago, Reitrix said:

Perhaps because they intended you to slip in and out of Hysteria as needed instead of trying to stay permanently in the mode. 

While I agree this is likely what they intended, it is not how the community at large plays her. I feel trying to argue against changes that would help her, even if the reason was because of original intent, to be unneeded. 

50 minutes ago, Reitrix said:

The Exilus augment Hysteria has for the leap is absurdly good for getting on top of mobs to shred them. Personally never had an issue with range on the claws. If ever I needed to cleave a massive pack, thats what my normal melee weapon is for. 

Given the current state of the game, isn’t cleaving massive packs the usual gameflow? 

The biggest buff to Valkyr that I can think of... beyond fixing the animations and damage of her Hysteria, giving Ripline something to actually do, etc... Would be to switch Hysteria from an Energy Drain to a Health Drain.

Because her Claws have life steal innate on them, it becomes a bit more of a self-sustain, you can cast the other abilities better, and you can even give her a unique 'overheal' mechanic from it. Where if she gains more Health than her modded maximum, she gets bonuses to things she does.

That would be solid, even without the other ability changes.

6 hours ago, (PSN)CommanderC2121 said:

While I agree this is likely what they intended, it is not how the community at large plays her. I feel trying to argue against changes that would help her, even if the reason was because of original intent, to be unneeded. 

Given the current state of the game, isn’t cleaving massive packs the usual gameflow? 

I don't think theres anything wrong with having abilities that work perfectly fine the way the devs envisioned the ability to function. Its pretty dangerous to change mechanics at a base level just because the community deviated away from the way it was originally designed. 
Its kind of like saying "Well we know you made it work this way, but we want you to change it because we want to use it a different way".

Those sorts of changes are best made via augments. Or my preferred way that DE will likely never do, is to give us alternative "mutated" versions of abilities through the Helminth. 
As an example, put on Helminth under a different mechanic the ability to replace current Hysteria with a modified version that dealt more damage, lost the lifesteal and the invulnerability and costs a flat amount of energy per second. Essentially just an Exalted Claws button in line with Excals sword etc. 

Would allow those who enjoy current Hysteria to keep enjoying it and those that want a more traditional Exalted Weapon can opt to have that. Basically, allow us to rework our own frames (What Helminth was kind of invented to do, but falls short of) without having to cram a frame full of Augment mods.  

For your final point, Maybe i just play the game "wrong", i just never really find myself in a situation where I'm lamenting the lack of range on Hysteria. Even when i do SP Survival and longer Kuva Survivals, The speed and damage on the claws combined with the leaps means I'm always shredding through whatever i happen to be near. 
But i also pretty aggressively use my guns, Even when actively using Hysteria ... 

3 hours ago, LillyRaccune said:

5 meters? There are no weapons that are that huge. And there's only a few that can get to 5 meters with Primed Reach. Maybe you want Kuva Ogris or Tenet Envoy?

Hmm... maybe that just tells you how bad the melee stance combo's really are, cuz i use primed reach on it, and it barely hits anything directly infront of me.

41 minutes ago, Joezone619 said:

Hmm... maybe that just tells you how bad the melee stance combo's really are, cuz i use primed reach on it, and it barely hits anything directly infront of me.

It looks to me like it is a little short.  But maybe worse, and more indicative of it being a stance problem, the cones feel narrow.  Not a problem with the spin attack obviously, which is another reason that gets spammed.

hace 19 horas, (PSN)CommanderC2121 dijo:

I change hysteria for gloom and work good and better

Just make Ripline work like this and let Hysteria be a invul and lifesteal version of this (damage stored increases hp up to cap of something like 25% base hp a sec, kills pause hp cost, finishers remove stored damage; no cowardice encouraging enemy ring, no energy cost, shields locked to 0 while active, ignores nully effects to honour her trailer).

Seriously, 4.7m modded claws is pretty much old heavy blade range so it REALLY isnt a problem.
Paralysis could get the augment baked in without the knockdown for efficiency sake but does its job (finisher opener for giga cheap) and at best Warcry could be recastable or have something like a "echo"/recast (thus reapplying the slow to enemies too) maybe on slam attacks or something, but it are minor factors compared to just making the jank bits of her kit actually work

The changes she needs should be relatively simple, on paper.

Make the ripline always hit something, so you can swing around in open spaces. Add a hold to cast option where it pulls enemies to you while the normal pulls you towards whatever the line hits.

Warcry works fine as it is and doesn't need any real changes. Allowing it to be recast while active would be nice though.

Paralysis needs to be reworked entirely to serve as a reliable-ish CC, having it pull enemies to you by default would be nice.

Hysteria just needs its stance fixed since its really awkward as it is, but the damage output is extremely high when you hit stuff. Replace animations with the good stuff from the claw stances.

Archived