The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2021 Year In Review Stats

PublikDomain

I'm not surprised about the primary usage, it just reflects the problem with AoE in the game too well. I am a bit suprised that Kuva Nukor is that much used over other secondaries still, not because of the "nerf" to it, but because meta has changed from being melee to being melee or AoE gun. I understand it was a popular option to bring with you when you could make use of priming targets for CO, but now when there is a meta in ranged weapons alone I really dont see why the usage is that much higher.

We have access to insane standalone secondaries under the new meta, like Akarius and Sporelacer.

What I fear is that DE will look at the usage too much (if they look at the list at all) without realizing the actual problems, both for primary and secondaries. Zarr, Bramma and Ogris kinda get "hidden" in their spots while far weaker options like Ignis Wraith and Acceltra ends up at 1 and 2, since I doubt DE will actually consider how differently they scale and what content it is they completely destroy. And the same applies even more in the secondary category due to tactical nukes like Akarius and Sporelacer sitting comfortably hidden in the massive shadow that is Knukor usage.

12 minutes ago, ShogunGunshow said:

Now we just need companion statistics.

I bet that would make the Kuva Nukor look positively tame. 

Ooh, I'd like to see those stats.

Although if you were serious, I doubt any companion would rival, let alone outmatch Knukor's dominance.  It's not just the percentage, it's the size of the field it's competing against that makes it impressive.

8 hours ago, Kontrollo said:

Are there any people interested in doing something with the data? I could make some scripts so it's loadable in Excel/Calc for example. Raw data are here:

Edit: follow-ups: script is here and addressing a problem here.

Thanks mate, had some great fun going through the data last year with pandas.

10 minutes ago, 60framespersecond said:

Thanks mate, had some great fun going through the data last year with pandas.

You're welcome. Pandas could probably even import the JSON with just a few lines, although I haven't tried that/looked at the data with it myself, yet. Maybe I'll do that sometime later.

I've been using pandas myself for some other things, though, but I'm no expert. Are you just using it by itself or some extra packages? (I've tried pandasgui, dtale and pandas-profiling, for example.)

26 minutes ago, Kontrollo said:

You're welcome. Pandas could probably even import the JSON with just a few lines, although I haven't tried that/looked at the data with it myself, yet. Maybe I'll do that sometime later.

I've been using pandas myself for some other things, though, but I'm no expert. Are you just using it by itself or some extra packages? (I've tried pandasgui, dtale and pandas-profiling, for example.)

I'm running it in jupyter-lab with the Anaconda Python distribution. Nothing fancy otherwise, just matplotlib and numpy.

It is indeed very easy to get started, importing is as simple as

import pandas as pd
data = pd.read_json('WarframeUsageData2021.json')
data_all_frames = pd.DataFrame(data['ALL']['Warframe'])
data_pc_melee_mr30_lr1 = pd.DataFrame(data['PC']['Melee']).filter(items=['30', '31'], axis=0)

etc. and you're good to go. There is a lot more that can be done, I'm myself only a casual user of pandas, and plotting can be a pain at times.

8 minutes ago, 60framespersecond said:

I'm running it in jupyter-lab with the Anaconda Python distribution. Nothing fancy otherwise, just matplotlib and numpy.

It is indeed very easy to get started, importing is as simple as

import pandas as pd
data = pd.read_json('WarframeUsageData2021.json')
data_all_frames = pd.DataFrame(data['ALL']['Warframe'])
data_pc_melee_mr30_lr1 = pd.DataFrame(data['PC']['Melee']).filter(items=['30', '31'], axis=0)

etc. and you're good to go. There is a lot more that can be done, I'm myself only a casual user of pandas, and plotting can be a pain at times.

Ah, then you're somewhat in the same boat as me. Yeah, matplotlib and numpy are already there and especially matplotlib can be a pain. Maybe have a look at one of the three I put in parentheses in my previous post and see if you like. For statistics oriented graphing I've also used seaborn (which builds on matplotlib).

2 hours ago, (PSN)Vexx757 said:

It`s funny how ppl jump down my throat  saying Ash is perfect and look at this, he isn`t even on the list. This just proves what I`ve been saying, that based on stats and ppl`s actions, Ash needs a revisit.

Or just simply, along with many things seen in the list: overshadowed. Just that people will resort to equipment that offers the least amount of effort to use to get any job done. Frames like Harrow, Garuda, Nidus, Baruuk all require effort to employ their kits to their fullest potential. Any frames or equipment that makes things more braindead will be more popular as a result.

The one thing that should've addressed is the drop rates and locations of normal Ash, which is exacerbated by reusing the Corpus Ship Defense/Interception tile along with being a Rotation C drop.

I'll have some more charts when I get home and poke around some more, this is just a rough chart of Warframe usage.

qrWcWPH.png

The big greenish blob at the top is Wukong Prime with Wisp being the pink blob underneath. The teal blob on the upper left is Volt, which tapers into the brighter Volt Prime above. Volt's the only starter that keeps a solid hold all the way to L1. The blue below him is Rhino. The purple blob below that is Mag. Excalibur is the big golden blob on the bottom left that tapers off, with Excalibur Umbra sitting on top (and Excalibur Prime the thin green line that separates them).

Once this is cleaned up it should be much more interesting, especially when I compare growths/losses between years.

1 hour ago, PublikDomain said:

I'll have some more charts when I get home and poke around some more, this is just a rough chart of Warframe usage.

qrWcWPH.png

The big greenish blob at the top is Wukong Prime with Wisp being the pink blob underneath. The teal blob on the upper left is Volt, which tapers into the brighter Volt Prime above. Volt's the only starter that keeps a solid hold all the way to L1. The blue below him is Rhino. The purple blob below that is Mag. Excalibur is the big golden blob on the bottom left that tapers off, with Excalibur Umbra sitting on top (and Excalibur Prime the thin green line that separates them).

Once this is cleaned up it should be much more interesting, especially when I compare growths/losses between years.

Ugh, what a trash graph I've released. This is more like what I wanted:

https://i.imgur.com/irOT82F.gif

You can see Volt taking up some of Excalibur's early-game usage. Khora dries up in the higher MRs with changes to SP farming and her LOS. Middling frames get compressed by Wukong's dominance above MR5. For high MR players, frame selection has actually leveled out quite a bit. I'd like to do this with weapons, but it's not gonna fit so I'll do it by weapon category.

uMNzwES.gif

Small AoE weapons like the Tombfinger lost popularity, while explosive weapons grew significantly - mostly from Epitaph's addition to the game. Chaining beam weapons changed little in popularity for the highest MR players, but gained significant popularity for those between MR10-27. Single target weapons remain popular in early MRs due to the lack of good explosive weapons but quickly taper off and are pushed down by the expanding of the AoE meta.

qMDdAMz.gif

Kuva Nukor and the Tenet Cycron make huge popularity gains from MR7-10 and above. Kuva Nukor loses small popularity for the highest MR players.

gx3jrEZ.gif

Epitaph, Akarius, and Sporelacer make large popularity gain and basically carry the entire category.

SIlvz2C.gif

I actually forgot to put this one together, much like the playerbase has forgotten about the Catchmoon and Tombfinger.

FDDN72v.gif

This is a thick chart, but also a boring one. Nothing really happens aside from a general depression caused by the AoE meta.

KpB6cz2.gif

Likewise with machine pistols: not much happens. The Tenet Diplos become the dominant machine pistol but the category as a whole declines.

eQ6qVKT.gif

Secondary shotguns see a general decline but keep some favor among high MR players.

bPUxo6w.gif

Nothing changes. Newbies like the MK1-Kunai, though not as much as the Lato, and the category as a whole is irrelevant past MR7. This category was struggling and continues to struggle.

u1k7w2l.gif

Single-target beam secondaries likewise change very little. Whoever was still using the Catabolyst stopped.

14 hours ago, Softballbryan said:

I’m amazed at how much wukong rose in the ranks after his rework. I hope they can do more of that for other frames. 

nobody actually cares about wukong, they just use the mobility button

just like most frames in this game have 3/4 useless abilities that nobody cares about 

On 2022-01-28 at 6:38 AM, (XBOX)The Neko Otaku said:

Yep aoe definitely going be looked at

The longer they delay looking at this and "self stagger immunity", the more angry they will make people who keep sinking Forma and time into this problem. This trend should have lasted a month, not years.

19 hours ago, ShogunGunshow said:

It always blows me away how little rep Gara gets considering how incredible she is. 

She requires effort and upkeep, hence why Wukong Prime tops the charts. The majority of players gravitate towards the easy/lazy option because power level is irrelevant with how weak most enemies and content are. Almost nobody is playing Revenant in every mission even though he scales incredibly well. The same goes for weapons. Sniper Rifles and bows like Daikyu can melt very high level enemies, but there is no point when you can bring Kuva Ogris, Kuva Bramma or a Glaive.

20 hours ago, ShogunGunshow said:

It always blows me away how little rep Gara gets considering how incredible she is. 

She's not fun to play, at least if you're planning on taking advantage of her kit:

• statstick (ew), so plan on bringing a garbo melee
  • endlessly scaling damage that requires excessive platespinning to build and maintain, with no safety feature for touching a nully or falling off of the map
  • bad UI that focuses more on splinter armor damage than it does on the duration, which is what actually matters, so you spend a lot of time watching the bottom right corner of the screen for a tiny number ticking down
  • dead third ability (for her, at least)

She is incredibly powerful, useful, gorgeous, and has excellent sound design.  But playing her is an absolute slog.

57 minutes ago, Voltage said:

The longer they delay looking at this and "self stagger immunity", the more angry they will make people who keep sinking Forma and time into this problem. This trend should have lasted a month, not years.

If it's anything like Focus 1.0 Zenurik, when they eventually do address it, they'll be so bearish about pissing people off that they won't fully rip off the bandaid, and the problem will still be 90% there.

45 minutes ago, sunderthefirmament said:

DE: Warframe reworks aren't worth it because they don't lead to an increase in usage.

Wukong:

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Haha , i think that's the flip side.

They don't want to do reworks cause they are afraid of doing too little or too much.

Pretty sure wukong scared them cause they screwed it in up but in the wrong direction.

1 hour ago, sunderthefirmament said:

DE: Warframe reworks aren't worth it because they don't lead to an increase in usage.

Wukong:

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

I doubt it's that much about reworks, but more about how these are made.

Most of the reworked frames (Ember, Vauban, Excalibur, Nezha) have been improved a lot with their reworks.

For instance, Ember went from an afk glass cannon to a durable frame that can cc, strip armor and deal heavy damage in decently sized areas; Vauban got better at dealing damage while keeping his cc capabilites; Nezha became tankier and Halo being turned into damage reduction on top of his shields reduction made Hunter's Adrenaline and Rage viable on him; and how to forget the days after Excal rework where everyone and their grandmas would be swinging exalted blade (some players still do nowadays, even at higher mastery ranks)

Wukong, on the other hand, overshadows all of the previous reworks since he was turned into a braindead frame by getting 3 free "revives" that also include temporal buffs and a summon that acts on its own, uses player weapons, requires little to no upkeep, and is very cheap to recast if enemies manage to kill it. To top things off, he got to keep his cloud, power that removes any need to engage with the parkour system, which now also heals him (and his clone). 

Are there any specific animated comparisons people want to see? I'm going to do the same grouped comparisons I did for secondaries for primaries and melee later today, and I want to do an overall comparison by weapon type (Kuva/Tenet/Prime/other variants vs everything else). Maybe a biggest growth/biggest loss comparison too, since there are a few weapons in particular like Orthos Prime and Guandao Prime that seem to have basically swapped places around the same MR zones.

Archived