Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Garuda is a discount Styanax now?

-Moctezuma-

Styanax is arguably better than most frames. Hard to compete with the strongest armor stripping ability in the game, the ability to face tank so long as you're getting kills, infinite energy, a gathering ability, and the slash procs on his 4.

But Garuda has better tanking, even better access to infinite energy (less powerful on her but great for Helminth options), and her 4 leaves you less vulnerable and has arguably better scaling.

If anything they're more like sidegrades of each other. Styanax with enemy gathering and armor stripping and Garuda with better face tanking and Helminth synergy.

But the real winner here though is putting Tarros Strike or any gathering ability onto Garuda.

I don't know.  But I've read lots of comments from people who think Styanax needs buffs and specifically want to emulate Garuda more.  This is the first one I've seen that seems to go the other way.

35 minutes ago, -Moctezuma- said:

Like his 4 being a more deadly and quicker version of Garuda's Seeking talons

That's a laugh though.  Whoever told you that sounds like one of those people who has looked at Seeking's direct damage but hasn't grasped anything important about the ability. 1500 + explosions > 300 so Seeking Talons sucks, lol.

42 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

You think Styanax's 2 is the best armor stripping ability in the game?

Only 25 energy, restores HP, has a fast animation, doesn't have a target cap, isn't duration based, easily modable for 100% stripping, and most importantly it doesn't need an augment. It's incredibly time and build efficient, subsumable, and has synergy with the rest of his kit and any other gathering ability. Also it strips shields which is good for SP Treasurers I guess.

Other abilities could full strip with higher ranges but are all either slower, tied to one frame, have small target caps, and/or require building entirely around it or require an augment.

So, yeah. I don't see how any other stripping ability really competes with it.

1 hour ago, trst said:

Only 25 energy, restores HP, has a fast animation, doesn't have a target cap, isn't duration based, easily modable for 100% stripping, and most importantly it doesn't need an augment. It's incredibly time and build efficient, subsumable, and has synergy with the rest of his kit and any other gathering ability. Also it strips shields which is good for SP Treasurers I guess.

Other abilities could full strip with higher ranges but are all either slower, tied to one frame, have small target caps, and/or require building entirely around it or require an augment.

So, yeah. I don't see how any other stripping ability really competes with it.

Those are some pretty good reasons for it to be a good ability.

Personally I'd rank Avalanche as the best armor stripping ability in the game now, but hey different strokes. 
I like Avalanche with its augment to give an extra bit of survivability while also being able to freeze+strip large areas. Paired with Archon Flow you've also got a bit more energy coming your way (it really isn't much but its still a nice perk considering its the same capacity cost of P.Flow).

3 hours ago, -Moctezuma- said:

Hell no. Garuda's 4 is a primer. Her 1 is the nuke that utilizes said primer.

In otherwords, Garuda nukes whole rooms while Styanex deals with whatever's directly in front of him. These are two very different frames.

And the armor strip from Tharros Strike is barely an advantage over Garuda, because Garuda is a Slash focused frame, and slash ignores armor anyway.

11 hours ago, -Moctezuma- said:

I've been getting told that Styanax can pretty much do what Garuda does, but better and quicker

etc

Nope. Those players have probably played neither very much. Styanax #4 = very little scaling, and the more damage stacking you wanna do, the more duration you need and the longer the animation/cast takes to finish. Gaurda #4 can be quick or slow, which really depends on how far or close you are to targets and how many there are in sight, scales with all damage you otherwise deal and makes you invulnerable. And since her 4 allows for scaling with all your damage output and is slash based, you dont need to utilize an armor strip. Ontop of that she practically comes with a personal passive Roar, so even more damage.

I play Garuda and Styanax and don't see the similarities beyond slash damage on 4. And even then:

- Garuda has no grouping ability and her CC is single-target with a cap of 3. Styanax's 1 groups enemies and pulls them in. Has no cap.

- Styanax has no damage-mitigation abilities. Faster shield recovery times don't change that shields still take the same amount of damage. Garuda's 1 stops damage altogether.

- Garuda has no armor or shield strip. Styanax has his 2 and strips both armor and shields.

- Styanax's heal is just a flat heal for himself while Garuda's is percentage-based AoE heal over time for anyone in range.

- Garuda's passive increases all damage including ability damage. Styanax's only increases critical chance for weapons rather than damage per se. Garuda's is more or less permanent while Styanax's fluctuates as he takes damage.

- Styanax's energy regen is over time while Garuda's is instantaneous. This is an inversion of how their health regen abilities work.

- Garuda's 4 is not affected by range or line of sight and deals damage over time in a very wide area and causes for all damage sources to deal slash procs. Styanax's is affected by line of sight, does not cause additional slash procs beyond the ability itself, and only targets in a straight line.

Comparing them is like comparing Volt and Gauss because they both have a speed boost ability.

20 hours ago, -Moctezuma- said:

I've been getting told that Styanax can pretty much do what Garuda does, but better and quicker

I mean if you're fine with your feet needing to regularly touch the ground during the mission then sure, go with Styanax.

Archived