Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe speculation: Joe mad's werewolf

(XBOX)Nightseid

We can juste let it simple and call her Sköll . 

Sköll is , in the nordic mythos , the wolf that chases Sun (wink wink) . 

It's not unusual for a Waframe to be named directly after mythos (for example Nyx) and after all it sounds cool .

I tried to create a name , using nordique words mixed with ulfr/ulf/olf/wul (for wolf). But god , it's not simple to do a name that you will decapitate each time you want to say it x)

I've seen a lot of hype for the new wolf inspired warframe next up on release, and I want to be so excited for the frame, but everytime I see more news about her, the more I feel like DE baited me to be hyped and then switched out what I wanted for something else.  I have a few points and I wanted to start some discussion on the matter, get some input and see if there's anything I'm missing.

1.) What makes a werewolf? 

Werewolfs have always been a symbol of an inner beast, a physical manifestation of pure masculine, beastial rage (That doesn't mean all werewolves are male, but masculine in nature).  So to me, when a game like warframe creates characters based on a well known theme, I have the expectation they honor the details of that theme.  One of the major aspects of a werewolf is transformation, the beast is usually hidden in an unsuspecting or elegant form to contrast their vicious beast form.  The frame we're getting removed that aspect, already that feels like a disregard for the theme.  Secondly, when talking about representing a theme, this frame should be male, each frame's gender is symbolic of their theme, equinox for example is purely female, yet her night form is more feminine and her day form is more masculine just like the lore behind yin and yang.  So what you're representing a werewolf by theme, a feminine appearance doesn't make any sense, it feels disrespectful they gave our werewolf the Mesa treatment and turned our wolf into an overly busty erotic model.  That's not what werewolves are about.  They clearly know this because the foil to a werewolf, a vampire, was done correctly seductive when Garuda released.

2.) Appearance:

When a fan created the Fenrir art (link at bottom) for a werewolf frame I was hyped out of my mind because it looked like the perfect blend of werewolf and warframe.  Even the name felt right with how many mythological names are in the game.  But then DE released their consept art...and I found myself looking at a boney creature with dragon skulls for armor.  How is that anything like a werewolf?  The art looks downright incredible, outstanding really, but not as a werewolf.  I would be unbelievably happy if she was released in a two part Christian lore theme, where she is a demon and the next frame is an angel.  It would both fill out more mythological themes and match the art.  But I digress, Hildryn looks more like a werewolf than what's currently being teased.  The designer or Fenrir, anzuarden_art hit the mark spot on, in normal form Fenrir has an elegant almost regal appearance, but as a beast, every attribute is accentuated and more vicious.  Instead of the amazing contrast in both gameplay and fashion frame, we only have one fixed appearance and it looks nothing like a werewolf to me.

3.)Gameplay impact:

When Titania released, she added and entirely new play style to normal mission nodes.  We could now take the interesting but under utilized arching gameplay and use it on any mission, amazing.  A werewolf frame should have done the same.  If transformation was implemented (like they have already done with Titania) they could create a new way to experience combat and a new form of movement.  While something as drastic as crawling on walls like a xenomorph would be hard to implement, something like volts speed mixed with a Goliath leap from evolve and something like a kubrow run would make for something unique and fresh.  DE said many times they didn't want to make another Valkyr, yet the werewolf wouldn't need to be, instead of a single button hack and slash, they could flesh out his melee, make unique ground pounds, grabbing enemies, combos, howls and jaw focused moves and make him totally unique from her.  Furthermore his designe could have been the inverse to Baruuk, like having a meter build up with the more violence and bloodshed you cause, maybe the transformation is uncontrollable and happens when the meter is full, though I would prefer it not to be it still would have been better than the generic unwolf like thing DE is showing us.

In short, I'm angry and disappointed with the current art because it feels like a bait and switch, they teased a werewolf and gave us nothing of the sort, killing all the potential of what he could have been.  I want to hear if anyone else agrees with this and if you disagree feel free to let me know on what points and why.  Is there a bigger picture I'm missing?  Because I think a werewolf should have combined elements from Titania, Baruuk, Styanax/Atlas(summoning companions/pack), and fresh mechanics, but now none of this is coming.

https://twitter.com/anzuarden_art/status/1430582016186019844

Цитата

What happened to the Werewolf part of the new warframe?

She found 4, ripped their heads off, and used it as fashion.

At least so far that's how it looks, remove the skulls and ask people to guess the theme, and they wouldn't be able to, she looks more like a Xenomorph Queen than a werewolf.

1 hour ago, -Krism- said:

We haven't even seen her abilities yet, chill for a sec

I mean, we have seen her visual design, and it's very thematically different from a werewolf.

I'm sure lots of people love her current concept, but it doesn't change the fact that people clamoring for a werewolf for the past decade were expecting, you know... a freaking werewolf, instead of an overdesigned weirdly-sexualized reptilian skull collector with a poofy fox tail.

EDIT:

As far as werewolf warframe concepts go, I was (VERY VERY roughly) expecting something a bit more along the lines of the following:

ZpbJTpf.png

ksnw1oS.png

You know, something more beastlike. More mammalian. Something that wouldn't look too out of place stalking+hunting+eating humans in the wilderness.

(These are AI-generated images, by the way.)

3 hours ago, (XBOX)DragonMan 2700 said:

I think we do. So, I believe we'll suggest names then the design council narrows it down for us all to take the final poll vote. If I'm not mistaken.

You’ve misheard.

Its the design council that are suggesting names for the frame, then DE will review the names and make a short list which will then be voted on.

If the 80,000 (?) donation goal is reached for QTCC then the vote will be public and for whole community otherwise I believe it’ll be design council vote.

I

Il y a 3 heures, CypressEDF a dit :

I've seen a lot of hype for the new wolf inspired warframe next up on release, and I want to be so excited for the frame, but everytime I see more news about her, the more I feel like DE baited me to be hyped and then switched out what I wanted for something else.  I have a few points and I wanted to start some discussion on the matter, get some input and see if there's anything I'm missing.

1.) What makes a werewolf? 

Werewolfs have always been a symbol of an inner beast, a physical manifestation of pure masculine, beastial rage (That doesn't mean all werewolves are male, but masculine in nature).  So to me, when a game like warframe creates characters based on a well known theme, I have the expectation they honor the details of that theme.  One of the major aspects of a werewolf is transformation, the beast is usually hidden in an unsuspecting or elegant form to contrast their vicious beast form.  The frame we're getting removed that aspect, already that feels like a disregard for the theme.  Secondly, when talking about representing a theme, this frame should be male, each frame's gender is symbolic of their theme, equinox for example is purely female, yet her night form is more feminine and her day form is more masculine just like the lore behind yin and yang.  So what you're representing a werewolf by theme, a feminine appearance doesn't make any sense, it feels disrespectful they gave our werewolf the Mesa treatment and turned our wolf into an overly busty erotic model.  That's not what werewolves are about.  They clearly know this because the foil to a werewolf, a vampire, was done correctly seductive when Garuda released.

I can understand where you're coming for tenno . 

But hey , development can go pretty fast in 2 months . I agree that when you look at the concept art , you don't clearly see a werewolf. 3D models of warframes have some differences when it comes to they're concept art , so i'm more intrigued to see how they're gonna fit the art in the game (you need just to see the changes done to her signature axe in 3D modeling) . 

So let's just judge from the model once they'll show it to us . 

For the gameplay part , we haven't seen anything or heard any concept. I just hope that Yareli's original game designer won't touch her x) 

So maybe she's gonna have a "normal" form or a "Base" form (inspired directly of the design shown to us) , and the more you kill enemies or collect red orbs (why not after all) , the more she transform and get powerful .

That could be a good idea . But for now it's too soon to say if they screw up the theme, or not .  🤔

You all suggested great names (except the pranksters).

It's a female wolf, ok, but what's the fight still?

As long as we don't know 100% how this Warframe works, the beautiful name could become inappropriate.

My Proposition

Lyssa: This name might be appropriate if this Warframe spreads anything like rabies, aggression, and insanity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyssa

I don't need to suggest more, everything was mentioned here.

Archived