Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma / Soma Prime Needs a Serious buff

(PSN)WolfMoom213

So I have The Soma Prime / Soma and I used both of them and have come to the Obvious conclusion that it's no more useful in combat than it is as a decoration! 
So DE and anyone who reads this If you feel so Inclined to agree with me here Pls Send some love to Soma Prime + Soma the base version For ALL of us every platform here I seek justice for all of us that were scammed for a weapon that has more use as a decoration than a Weapon of mass destruction 

i can already see a specific limbo main commenting on this lol

but seriously are you crazy? the soma prime is an amazing weapon. 200 round magazine, high crit bullet hose that shreds through almost all content in the game is bad? hell the Stradavar Prime, a standard semi/full auto assault rifle, which isn't nearly as good as the soma prime is still my most used primary because it just kills everything. what were you expecting? and what is your build? my gorgon wraith shreds steel path even though its kind of an ass weapon, you just need to build it right.

even though explosive weapons dominate the meta even after the nerfs, fast firing bullet hoses still make up a large portion of weapon usage, simply because they get the job done in a fun, satisfying way. 

4 минуты назад, Mazifet сказал:

but seriously are you crazy? the soma prime is an amazing weapon. 200 round magazine, high crit bullet hose that shreds through almost all content in the game is bad? hell the Stradavar Prime, a standard semi/full auto assault rifle, which isn't nearly as good as the soma prime is still my most used primary because it just kills everything. what were you expecting? and what is your build? my gorgon wraith shreds steel path even though its kind of an ass weapon, you just need to build it right.

even though explosive weapons dominate the meta even after the nerfs, fast firing bullet hoses still make up a large portion of weapon usage, simply because they get the job done in a fun, satisfying way. 

Yes, it is bad. Reason? Crits.

Crits and general raw damage weapons have been gutted in the last 2-3 years of balance changes. Status is king.
Sure, Soma is great for bypassing maybe first 60 levels of content but after that is suffers a major drop off in TTK that is easily outdone by anything that can status including ol' reliable Braton Prime.

I tried using the thing as well, including its' exclusive augment and... Its crap. Steel Path enemies shrug off the bullets with no effect. I believe i even sold it after the fact...

This is but a symptom of a larger issue with balance discrepancy between pure crit and pure status / hybrid weapons. Status wins in majority of situations with primary exception being status-immune enemies (usually bosses). This is the one thing pure crit is still good for. But anything that involves fighting average grunts - status is king.
The Viral + Heat (/Slash) combo, specifically.

3 minutes ago, Artekkor said:

Yes, it is bad. Reason? Crits.

Crits and general raw damage weapons have been gutted in the last 2-3 years of balance changes. Status is king.
Sure, Soma is great for bypassing maybe first 60 levels of content but after that is suffers a major drop off in TTK that is easily outdone by anything that can status including ol' reliable Braton Prime.

I tried using the thing as well, including its' exclusive augment and... Its crap. Steel Path enemies shrug off the bullets with no effect. I believe i even sold it after the fact...

This is but a symptom of a larger issue with balance discrepancy between pure crit and pure status / hybrid weapons. Status wins in majority of situations with primary exception being status-immune enemies (usually bosses). This is the one thing pure crit is still good for. But anything that involves fighting average grunts - status is king.
The Viral + Heat (/Slash) combo, specifically.

48 minutes ago, (PSN)WolfMoom213 said:

So I have The Soma Prime / Soma and I used both of them and have come to the Obvious conclusion that it's no more useful in combat than it is as a decoration! 
So DE and anyone who reads this If you feel so Inclined to agree with me here Pls Send some love to Soma Prime + Soma the base version For ALL of us every platform here I seek justice for all of us that were scammed for a weapon that has more use as a decoration than a Weapon of mass destruction 

Are you guys doing any buffing or debuffing? You can't expect to just take a weapon to steel path without using the games 1000 ways to weaken enemies and strengthen yourself.

If people are making the Mk1 Braton useable then the Soma definitely is.

Только что, (PSN)Madurai-Prime сказал:

Are you guys doing any buffing or debuffing? You can't expect to just take a weapon to steel path without using the games 1000 ways to weaken enemies and strengthen yourself.

Just the basic stuff:
- Rhino's +100% DMG Roar
- Strip all of the armor with Unairu

Even then majority of other, status-capable assault rifles will still perform better on average. If they can melt the fully-armored enemy 10 times faster, then they will do the same for completely naked enemy as well.

so do a fair amount of the Assault Rifles, you could say.

it's more to do with that in a game like this, Assault Rifles are master of none, but also Jack of none. they're just passable at every trait type. they have no major weaknesses, but also not really any strengths either.

1 hour ago, Mazifet said:

the Stradavar Prime, a standard semi/full auto assault rifle, which isn't nearly as good as the soma prime

uhhhh, Stradavar is significantly better than Soma. the Soma Augment helps a bit, but Stradavar is starting significantly ahead.

2 hours ago, (PSN)WolfMoom213 said:

I'm not crazy about the Soma Prime (or Soma) either, but do you have the augment  yet?

Just now, (PSN)WolfMoom213 said:

No don't know where to get it but I just want a buff in general 

If you want to know where to get it, the link explains it.

Unfortunately it's quite rare for DE to buff old weapons, except occasionally with augments.  Since Soma Prime has one already, and I think is still reasonably popular, I just wouldn't expect it to get any attention.  I'm wrong a lot though.

I use soma prime, once.

This thing is a monster. You literally just need to aim head. Thats all. Just spray and pray, go deadhead instead of merciless.

with buffs it is more powerful than before, and with the augment, you can get 240% cc with ease, and a 6.6 cd with reds is no joke.

and also mod in a primed mag warp, it is better.

Like this thing actually gets me 130kpm in hallways on base sp, which is simply unbelievable for a single, this is only reachable with my paris prime with radiation+galv scope in a 257.5cc 8.5cd powerhouse of absolute decimation, with the same condition as soma prime.

Considering how easy status is obtainable nowadays, for a extremely fast weapon, 10% status just isnt a big deal at all. This is not a original ferrox primary fire.

(tenet ferrox finally improve this primary fire by so much, thank god DE)

with just 1 6060 and galv aptitude, you already have a total of 24% status, on a weapon that fire 15 bullets per second on base.

(considering the ori ferrox primary fire actually perform worse in overall than my rivenless paris prime, showing that pure crit sticks like some of you mentioned, are just not cutting it at all, at least something like paris prime got 20% + bhisaj bal augment to work with, you still can reach 78% status even with the rawest crit stats available (two 6060 and galv apti plus bhisaj bal), any gas nuke setups just feel comfy to use with paris, not the best, but original ferrox with a grouping alt fire simply cannot utilize it, which is the point.

I dont get why you need slash/heat to kill. if your bullet hoses need that, then it means it is fairly weak at killing speed. An example is my braton prime, and it actually peform worse than soma prime, only getting me around 75 to 85ish kpm with buffs, considering me already giving it a riven with dmg to grineer, slash dmg, and ms.

And my soma prime is still, in fact, rivenless.

imagine a cd, ms, mag with a acceptable neg riven.

crit stats are very important, so as status.

it is the reason i choose paris prime over anything. it has the rawest crit available, yet not lacking in status department if you wish to mod it, so as the soma, which is now my 2nd/3rd favorite weapon of all i have played.

4 hours ago, (PSN)WolfMoom213 said:

No don't know where to get it but I just want a buff in general 

You should try to learn more about weapons, mods and mechanics before blindly asking for vague buffs.

6 hours ago, Artekkor said:

Just the basic stuff:
- Rhino's +100% DMG Roar

Even then majority of other, status-capable assault rifles will still perform better on average. If they can melt the fully-armored enemy 10 times faster, then they will do the same for completely naked enemy as well.

Were you able to kill steel path enemies with the weapon? Yes or no?

Please keep in mind we literally already have the evidence on YouTube because knowledgeable players live for proving these threads wrong.

We are not in a race to appease sweaty "I'm ultra efficient" players.

7 минут назад, (PSN)Madurai-Prime сказал:

Were you able to kill steel path enemies with the weapon? Yes or no?

That's an unfair question.

Yeah, i killed them. At x10 times the time it takes me to kill them with my casually modded Braton Prime.
And there's an inherent issue with that. Simple as.

I'll actually test it out, just to appease my own curiosity.

Now where's my Boltor Prime...

EDIT: Oh right, i sold it. Bugger.
Oh well. I'm not going to craft it just to get disappointed again.

3 минуты назад, Frendh сказал:

My question, why Soma prime over the scores of other weapons that are in the same or worse situation?

Nostalgia, probably. It used to be king. Stradavar Prime, for example, was introduced already in the lands of the Status Kings and so never achieved the same cultural relevance and legacy Soma did, even before it got primed.

7 hours ago, Mazifet said:

i can already see a specific limbo main commenting on this lol

yeah ikr

tbh tho the soma prime could definitely use a buff. over time, guns that are better for killing enemies have come out. the tetra just melts through crowds with bouncing bullets and has an aoe alt fire, the vectis one shots any enemy and all around it with gas procs, the chakkhurr is just broken...  dont get me wrong, the soma prime still works, its just those guns are more effective for general killing. it could definitely use a damage buff to 30 or something instead of 12, maybe even add in like another 1x crit damage and 10 more crit chance.

(no matter what though it will always be my favorite primary in the game, i even have a riven for it with 999 rolls)

7 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

sure you can buff any weapon you want to but why do that when you can use a weapon that doesnt need buffs like the tenet plinx or glaive prime?

9 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

You can't expect to just take a weapon to steel path without using the games 1000 ways to weaken enemies and strengthen yourself.

Good weapons are fine for base SP without buffs or debuffs.

1 hour ago, gamingchair1121 said:

the tetra just melts through crowds with bouncing bullets and has an aoe alt fire, the vectis one shots any enemy and all around it with gas procs, the chakkhurr is just broken...  dont get me wrong, the soma prime still works, its just those guns are more effective for general killing. it could definitely use a damage buff to 30 or something instead of 12, maybe even add in like another 1x crit damage and 10 more crit chance.

Tenet Tetra's base damage of 96 compared to the 12 of soma prime really shows, even it's dispo is slightly higher, fire rate needs to be addressed but it chews through SP.

5 hours ago, Artekkor said:

That's an unfair question.

Yeah, i killed them. At x10 times the time it takes me to kill them with my casually modded Braton Prime.
And there's an inherent issue with that. Simple as.

I'll actually test it out, just to appease my own curiosity.

Now where's my Boltor Prime...

EDIT: Oh right, i sold it. Bugger.
Oh well. I'm not going to craft it just to get disappointed again.

Exaggeration. 

Like I said, youtube if you need advice. If you don't have the patience for single target that's ok, you're allowed to use whatever weapon you want.

3 hours ago, gamingchair1121 said:

yeah ikr

tbh tho the soma prime could definitely use a buff. over time, guns that are better for killing enemies have come out. the tetra just melts through crowds with bouncing bullets and has an aoe alt fire, the vectis one shots any enemy and all around it with gas procs, the chakkhurr is just broken...  dont get me wrong, the soma prime still works, its just those guns are more effective for general killing. it could definitely use a damage buff to 30 or something instead of 12, maybe even add in like another 1x crit damage and 10 more crit chance.

(no matter what though it will always be my favorite primary in the game, i even have a riven for it with 999 rolls)

sure you can buff any weapon you want to but why do that when you can use a weapon that doesnt need buffs like the tenet plinx or glaive prime?

No one's forcing you or the OP to use the soma.....if you're not good with it then use a different weapon. 

2 hours ago, L3512 said:

Good weapons are fine for base SP without buffs or debuffs.

Tenet Tetra's base damage of 96 compared to the 12 of soma prime really shows, even it's dispo is slightly higher, fire rate needs to be addressed but it chews through SP.

I already know this, I'm trying to help others by explaining there's a whole bunch of arcanes, mods and frame abilities to make them even stronger. 

one of the most beautiful and iconic classic weapons in the game. I have 3 rivens (2 godroll) for this weapon but no one really useful, there are better non-riven weapons than soma prime.

the 200-bullet kit gives this weapon the illusory function of sweeping enemies, but the low base damage and them 3 second reload make this weapon limited.

Hata Satya mod its functional just for single target, just one single target before reload for next action without an effective critical chance. Basicaly we need more firerate + reload speed + magazine to fix Hata Satya.

however I can say that tiberon prime exceeded my expectations with latest augment mod even having less critical chance than soma prime

19 hours ago, Artekkor said:

Just the basic stuff:
- Rhino's +100% DMG Roar

loadout completely focused on soma prime = waste of time... it's possible to do better with another weapon less forma and works in any loadout.

Soma Prime is focused on high crit multplier and slash damage "but" this high crit damage doesn't work as base damage is insufficient to be multiplied and slash doesn't work as base stat is low and elemental mods will reduce slash effectiveness.

"wow, we can use hunter munitions and faction mods..." well, good strategy to waste a lot of mod slots and be less effectiveness than a sporotrix or supra vandal

Archived