Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Would community created Tiles for Tilesets be a good addition to Warframe?

Zahnrad

Probably a bad idea to write a thread while having a headache but. This is something I had thought of like a year or two ago. I forgot if I ever made a thread on it.

I enjoy seeing Community created things in Warframe, from Tennogen, to concepts and fan made stuff that made it into the game, such as the Kronen, or the three faction mini-bosses that won a contest.

I don't know how many people here check out the Featured Dojos but if you do, you'll notice some Dojos produce rooms that often make me think "Man, I wish this existed in Warframe missions somehow."

It makes me question how much could be done if DE had some sort of Workshop or etc where people could submit their own custom made Tiles based on the currently existing Tilesets in Warframe, similar to how other games on Steam like TF2 allow people to upload Maps.

There's a lot of Tilesets in Warframe that haven't had some love in a long time. I imagine while a lot of that is due to the Warframe team not having time to add more unique Tiles to the Tilesets in Warframe, but also because some Tilesets are probably planned to be given a overhaul or full rework in the future.

But for the Tilesets that DE are fine with and plan to keep long term I think it'd be really interesting if DE allowed for Tile Tennogen, where people would design their own unique Tiles based on what Tilesets DE give permission to let players expand upon.

Upload them to the Steam Workshop or something, and DE similarly to Tennogen could look at these Tiles and go "Hey, maybe we can add this one to the game." like how Tennogen is currently handled.

Obviously any new Tiles being added would have to be bug tested and etc. But I imagine it'd be a really good and fun way to involve the Community in the future of Warframe and add life to older tilesets that haven't had some love in a long time.

• Like 9

I think it would be a complicated process in creating it, and also finding a place to use them. Maybe it could be like featured dojo and you would do normal missions with that tileset, but I doubt DE would ever have a reason to do that.

• Like 3

closest thing we might get to that is to let the Design Council pick a tileset, but that likely won't happen, since they never utilize us anyway. something like DOOM 2016s SnapMap mode would be good, but might be difficult to implement, and considering the bugs we get when the devs make tiles, I'd hate to see what would happen if anyone else got their hands on the dev tools.

also, you'd almost certainly come across someone who makes a tileset that's as deliberately overcomplex and confusing as possible, like a hellish mix of Eris, Kuva Fortress and Europa...

41 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

closest thing we might get to that is to let the Design Council pick a tileset, but that likely won't happen, since they never utilize us anyway. something like DOOM 2016s SnapMap mode would be good, but might be difficult to implement, and considering the bugs we get when the devs make tiles, I'd hate to see what would happen if anyone else got their hands on the dev tools.

also, you'd almost certainly come across someone who makes a tileset that's as deliberately overcomplex and confusing as possible, like a hellish mix of Eris, Kuva Fortress and Europa...

I think so long as certain rules and guidelines are put into place, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. And if handled like Tennogen, DE can give people feedback on their tiles.

• Like 2

Oh, that's most certainly will be neat.

Although couple of issues:
1) Bloat. Game is pretty hefty as it is.
2) Quality control. I can easily predict bazillion bugs and glitches related to home-made tilesets.

Maybe 1 is not as bad as i think it is, but 2 is definitely a big one. If DE can solve that somehow - then sure, more game to play is always nice.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

Say again? 

Yes, the idea of having community content created by the community and filtered for quality is a great idea this game needs. People will be doing great levels related to the theme of the game. We need the official props and the tools. 

8 hours ago, Felsagger said:

Say again? 

Yes, the idea of having community content created by the community and filtered for quality is a great idea this game needs. People will be doing great levels related to the theme of the game. We need the official props and the tools. 

wrong thread omg, I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for you

---

On topic yes, it would be great, I'm always advocating for communiry work towards games, hopefully curated by devs so quality or seamless additions could be achieved. 

• Like 3

I think it could be interesting, though if it's a system similar to what they have in the dojos with placing decorations then that could have some issues. Since, at least in my experience, when visiting some of the featured dojos the loading times can be pretty long for areas that have lots of decorations.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, vanaukas said:

wrong thread omg, I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for you

---

On topic yes, it would be great, I'm always advocating for community work towards games, hopefully curated by devs so quality or seamless additions could be achieved. 

Exactly. 

A good quality control secures good standards. Content generated material by the community would be a positive and good news for the community. There is a lot of hidden talent out there that are extremely skillful. 

Would be great if the editing tools for the Dojos becomes more accurate for design, replacement of props and management of objects. A simple layout could be Rhinoceros 3D gimbal and coordinate systems for object emplacements. The object snaps should be included too. 

• Like 1

Well, seeing as nowadays we have a niche with games like Dreams or Unreal Editor for Fortnite, which provide the tools for players to create stuff from scratch, and because DE has a track record of not being afraid to leave the beaten path and create all sorts of wild additions, I'd say this could be a possibility in the far, far future. Maybe in another 10 years, who knows.

I can see plenty of issues with this that would make it problematic at best and disastrous at worst.

First of all is how overly complex the tiles could be made, which would extend loading time and cause plenty of potential issues (especially for people that want to be "sneaky" and hide the path through the tile or make it in some other way obtuse).
Second though is how would it fit in with the current tiles?  After all you would be going through a normal mission and then *bam* you're hit with something that looks and behaves completely differently....and then *bam* you're hit with another tile that is completely different than the last one.....and then you get a "normal" tile again that fits in with everything outside of those oddball tiles that obviously didn't fit in.

It would honestly be super jarring and would be a distraction.  I mean even when you look at some of the featured dojos you can find rooms in the same dojo that were obviously made by different people and are nothing alike....and this would start to appear everywhere in normal missions.

Beyond that you would have to have pretty strict limitations on where the tile can appear and the number of doors....and the extra space to allow for end cap rooms and the like....and what about infested versions of the room for when it appears on an infested invasion mission?  That's a lot more work on the person designing the tile...I think it would honestly become a mess for end consumers to design around...

Sure it's a neat idea, I just don't see it happening.

Edited by Tsukinoki

I can see this working. Seeing the amazing work from people in rift, GTA, Fallout 76 (blah), unreal tournament, etc I think it is very feasible. My only questioning factor is how much DE would want to hand us their engine and assets to do it. I mean they did give us the workspace for clan dojo's, and they still held onto the actual design code/assets.

I also feel a beta server would need to be in place for testing. Seeing the amazing work from people in games like Skyrim, adding a server for beta testers can test rigorously than what DE can do. But the issue may be assigning someone at DE to oversee this side of the project.

The last thing is this should be done very close to when they feel they don't want to develop for warframe anymore. Maybe keep a few employees on this project to oversee what the community does as a whole. I can see the community extending this life even further than what DE would be willing to do at that point.

i could have sworn they mentioned clan made content thaat everyone could play, years ago. '

It could be a cool idea, but it would probably be more like setting parameters for tile generation and enemies than it would be a free creative mode like the Dojos. 

Yes, a Halo Forge implementation is always a great idea for the Developers AND the community. It's a clean win/win situation for both bands. 

1. Players can test their creative instinct. 

2. We can try different style, make the levels in Unreal Engine 5.2 and export. Any 3D program suffise including Sketch Up or Autocad. 

3. Architects and engineers are invited to this party. We can do a lot on this department. 

4. Building up assets according to the art style of DE can secure some sort of uniformity. Dedicated teams formed by enthusiasts may emerge building entire levels. 

5. This may benefit three aspects of the game. a. Building of places such as the dojo entire structure, the relay stations and many other things. b. Find fresh talent willing to design these stages or level tilesets. c. Renovate old tilesets or update them so they fit more with the Warframe utilities and parkour abilities keeping it accessible to all types of players. 

The consequences of this idea are POSITIVE. I can't express how this could cascade in a snowball of POSITIVE things for the life of this game. The implications will secure a great game on the long run. 

Edited by Felsagger
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

i could have sworn they mentioned clan made content thaat everyone could play, years ago. '

It could be a cool idea, but it would probably be more like setting parameters for tile generation and enemies than it would be a free creative mode like the Dojos. 

Yeah I remember that, sad it never got made. I assume DE scrapped that one. Remember they said you could do stuff like have Alad V spawn as an ally.

• Like 1