Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New protea augment [Temporal Erosion] is kind of bad

-DeathOverLord-

As a protea main i was excited for the new augment for her. Turns out it forces you to use her 4th ability which has no function in any scenario in this reality. So i am saddened to say, but protea now has 2 bad augments. Like don't get me wrong, the augment is really good on paper, but in practice is just isn't worth it. Roar is always better on protea than full armor strip and only skill you can replace to have both is her 2nd ability. So now you are missing her turrets, probably best single target damage ability in the game, but your slash grenades absolute destroy everything. This trade will make you play style way more active as you now need to keep an eye on your energy before you press your 4th but also during your 4th ability which becomes annoying really quick. And i wish that was all the downsides of this, but the worst of all is the fact that main quirk about her 4th ability is the headache it will give you with the rewind effect.

I am sad.

• Like 3

Personally I'm looking forward to trying this mod out, as it seems like it has a lot of potential.  My main Protea build doesn't have any Helminth on it (I enjoy her full kit), and I've personally never had any problems with her 4 so that's not an issue for me.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

Personally I'm looking forward to trying this mod out, as it seems like it has a lot of potential.  My main Protea build doesn't have any Helminth on it (I enjoy her full kit), and I've personally never had any problems with her 4 so that's not an issue for me.

yea i guess that depends on your own personally standards you set. For me her standard set is very lackluster as it already has bad damage and KPM in base steel path. But throwing roar in there and dumping that useless 4th ability, she can push thousands of enemy levels.

It does have potential on paper for sure, but the way i see the augment is kind of like you break your own legs and then you are happy that you can move on your own with a wheelchair. But you had legs you could've used to move. The augment feels like handicapping myself.

Edited by -DeathOverLord-
Small addition

The only issue I see is that her "intended" playstyle isn't all that efficient/necessary. Which seems to be exactly what the augment is trying to promote.

Though I suspect it would be useful if you're taking her into levels in which her damage will struggle to brute force enemies. Plus I'm pretty sure it technically makes Blaze Artillery the longest range AOE armor shred ability in the game by a significant margin.

• Like 2

Had a go of it there today. Its a great augment. I genuinely can't see any downside to a power now allowing you to armour strip, whilst technically being invincible, and if you don't take fatal damage then you get all the energy back you spent armour stripping.

If I had to guess it just looks like the OP doesn't like the visuals of Proteas 4th ability. That's more of a TV Settings issue than anything else. I'd encourage everyone to try the mod properly.

Edited by (PSN)MYKK678
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, trst said:

The only issue I see is that her "intended" playstyle isn't all that efficient/necessary. Which seems to be exactly what the augment is trying to promote.

Though I suspect it would be useful if you're taking her into levels in which her damage will struggle to brute force enemies. Plus I'm pretty sure it technically makes Blaze Artillery the longest range AOE armor shred ability in the game by a significant margin.

We know DE has the stats on how often what abilities get replaced.  I think you're right- this augment is supposed to reinforce her time looping playstyle.  And honestly, I'd be fine with using her 4 more if it actually worked.  It seems like it has a 25% chance to just flat out fail, not to mention how it gets stopped by allied walls like Frost's globe.  It's an appallingly unpolished ability, which is saying something in this game.

• Like 4

Justo ahora, sunderthefirmament dijo:

We know DE has the stats on how often what abilities get replaced.  I think you're right- this augment is supposed to reinforce her time looping playstyle.  And honestly, I'd be fine with using her 4 more if it actually worked.  It seems like it has a 25% chance to just flat out fail, not to mention how it gets stopped by allied walls like Frost's globe.  It's an appallingly unpolished ability, which is saying something in this game.

this new Augment its for a duration + power build

Edited by CosoMalvadoNG

9 hours ago, (PSN)MYKK678 said:

Had a go of it there today. Its a great augment. I genuinely can't see any downside to a power now allowing you to armour strip, whilst technically being invincible, and if you don't take fatal damage then you get all the energy back you spent armour stripping.

If I had to guess it just looks like the OP doesn't like the visuals of Proteas 4th ability. That's more of a TV Settings issue than anything else. I'd encourage everyone to try the mod properly.

well yes and no. My main protea build focuses on range, str and duration. Spam as many slash grenades as possible and let slash procs kill enemies (slash procs ignore armor so armor strip is useless here). And even if her 4th ability makes her "immortal", its still makes you vulnerable if you take fatal hit in which case you are very likely to die anyway, and protea with her shield grenades alone is close to immortal with longer shieldgate and then we add in rolling guard and we have 7 second immortality when we need it.

The whole augment just makes so little sense to me. All i can see it being useful in is if you level cap disruption using her second ability as main dps.

Edit:

Forgot to ask, which monitor settings removes the wonky rewind from her 4th?

Edited by -DeathOverLord-
Small addition

5 hours ago, Dreadlox said:

My brother of Christ, you literally get an armor ripper and her 4th let you spam the armor rip, what morr you want?:D One button kill?

lets point out the problem 

Protea either spams grenades or 4 second turrets then gets locked into an animation for 10% Armor strip taking an entire mod space

Or Pillage, gloom, harrows chains, terrify, slash grenades, or shoot the armoured problem

• Like 5

Armour strip on an ability that procs slash feels a bit costly for a mod slot, even if you enjoy the time loop in the first place. Pillage does a better work for armour (and shields) imho, and it doesn't pull you back half-way across the map. The 4 is clearly the weak ability in her kit, but this augment isn't doing much to sell it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, FishMcCool said:

Armour strip on an ability that procs slash feels a bit costly for a mod slot, even if you enjoy the time loop in the first place. Pillage does a better work for armour (and shields) imho, and it doesn't pull you back half-way across the map. The 4 is clearly the weak ability in her kit, but this augment isn't doing much to sell it.

this exactly. On slash focus character the new armor strip augment feels like a band aid solution to  try to get people to not subsuming over her 4th, it's just not worth the effort it requires. If the augment would've been implemented in another way without the requirement of using her 4th, it would've been amazing. Maybe with lower armor strip % but some other way. It could've been something like each each slash proc from her grenades strips X% of armor or each shot from her turrets has X% chance to strip X% of armor. 

But in the current state of the augment, it is not worth the hassle and effort it requires. And as a protea main, it pains me to have this opinion. Believe me, i wanted the augment to be good and i tried to make it feel good.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, -DeathOverLord- said:

the new armor strip augment feels like a band aid solution to  try to get people to not subsuming over her 4th

Yeah.  I'm betting her 4th ability was really expensive to create.  And... no one uses it.  I like Protea quite a bit and haven't even used the Helminth to replace her 4, but I still don't find myself using it most of the time.

Recall works in Overwatch because you can use it as a response to something and it's pretty quick.  Protea's 4 needs to be set up beforehand, and takes forever to finish, pulling you out of the action too long.  A sexy new augment, even one with something as useful as armor strip, isn't enough to convince me to use her 4.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sunderthefirmament said:

Yeah.  I'm betting her 4th ability was really expensive to create.  And... no one uses it.  I like Protea quite a bit and haven't even used the Helminth to replace her 4, but I still don't find myself using it most of the time.

Recall works in Overwatch because you can use it as a response to something and it's pretty quick.  Protea's 4 needs to be set up beforehand, and takes forever to finish, pulling you out of the action too long.  A sexy new augment, even one with something as useful as armor strip, isn't enough to convince me to use her 4.

I hear you with the overwatch reference. As protea really benefits with high duration, the more duration you push on her, the longer the rewind becomes and less time you will spend using her damage abilities. And if you are playing on negative efficiency there is a fun problem, while her 4th resets your energy to the ammount it was when you activated it, it does not refund the initial cost of using her 4th, so every time you use her 4th you lose bit of that energy and if you don't keep an eye on that, not only will you run into energy problem during her 4th, but also after it ends.

And all the energy and health you pick with equilibrium during the rewind (why is that even a thing??)  from her 3rd ability during her 4th is wasted.

Just wanted to add if you really want armor strip, just subsume terrify, tharros strike or pillage. I am not sure why you'd want that as roar scales the slash procs way more than armor strip. But if you were for example in a team with rhino buffer, terrify and pillage would 100% be better than her new augment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -DeathOverLord- said:

well yes and no. My main protea build focuses on range, str and duration. Spam as many slash grenades as possible and let slash procs kill enemies (slash procs ignore armor so armor strip is useless here). And even if her 4th ability makes her "immortal", its still makes you vulnerable if you take fatal hit in which case you are very likely to die anyway, and protea with her shield grenades alone is close to immortal with longer shieldgate and then we add in rolling guard and we have 7 second immortality when we need it.

The whole augment just makes so little sense to me. All i can see it being useful in is if you level cap disruption using her second ability as main dps.

Edit:

Forgot to ask, which monitor settings removes the wonky rewind from her 4th?

So you can't see any advantage in both her Grenades and Turrets killing faster considering each single hit of both attacks strip a minimum of 10% armour? Also the armour strip increases with ability strength so right now mines standing at 22% per hit. Ignoring the unnecessary sarcastic comment at the end, it's a shame you can't see the benefit in it, because you barely need to worry about shieldgating now with this new mod. It's just great.

• Like 4