Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What are some mods deserve a buff? Or other general improvements?

Zahnrad

I got myself a Kuva Hek recently, but with its long reload speed and fire rate I equipped my power strength wisp and slapped on Reload speed mods to make the affinity grind with them less tedious.

And I came across...this...abomination.

4VSyULj.png

11 Mod capacity for only +1.2 Punch Through and...15% reload speed? Unranked it's 6 Capacity for 2.5% Reload and 0.2 Punch Through.

It doesn't seem to be exclusive to this though. All of the original Punch Through related mods have an absurd Capacity requirement. Metal Auger, Seeking Force and Seeker for the Rifle, Shotgun and Pistol respectively are all 15 Capacity for 2.1 Punch Through.

Archgun has Sabot Rounds at 15 capacity, but even that's more valuable, having a 60% damage increase and instead of 2.1 it's 3 Punch Through

With Shred being the only Punch Through mod being worth using, 11 Capacity, 30% Fire Rate and 1.2 Punch Through (16 Cap, 55% Fire Rate and 2.2 Punch on the Primed Variant)

But there's also the Vigilante mod exclusive for ALL Primaries called Vigilante Offense for 9 Capacity and 1.5 Punch Through, with the Vigilante bonus too.

(For the record, I'm not saying Vigilante Offense is bad, just that it's funny how much better a more modern Punch Through mod is by comparison.)

I guess at one point DE though Punch Through was overpowered but in the current meta landscape of Warframe, Punch Through is rarely ever sought after. The only way I can see Punch Through being worth it is for Mag's Magnetise with projectile weapons. So I'm surprised using them is so costly and should probably be revisited.

Are there any other mods out there (not counting Peculiars) that desperately need some kind of buff/change?

Edited by Zahnny
  • Like 3

I use Seeking Fury on some weapons.  I want Punch Through on almost everything, so if it doesn't have it innately, I'm modding it.  Seeking Force costs more capacity and the extra PT is wasted more often than not, so it's usually Vigilante Offense or Seeking Fury.  It's about 50/50 between them.  VO is nice for the cost and the set bonus.  The 15% reload speed on Seeking Fury  isn't much, but it's nice to shave a couple of 10ths of a second off of a reload and get PT on the same mod.  Usually what makes up my mind is polarity:  VO is dash, SF is V.

All that long explanation is not to say that I think it doesn't need a buff.  It does, and the fact that I use it some says more about the need for PT on ST weapons and the lack of good ways to get it.  But at least it has a crappy niche-- there are many mods I rarely or outright never use, 

27 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

Are there any other mods out there (not counting Peculiars) that desperately need some kind of buff/change?

Enduring Strike, Insulation, Hollow Point,  Frail Momentum, Voltage Sequence, Reflection, Fortitude, Fast Deflection, Maiming Strike, Focused Defense...Warm Coat, lol?  So many more I'm forgetting.

Strain set needs a major overhaul. 

Strain maggots not having some kind of synergy with Nidus is a crime.

Edit: I know virulence can explode them but I mean synergy with Nidus towards generating mutation

Edited by Leqesai
  • Like 1

I'm not holding my breath for a rework considering the INSANE number of individual mods we have now, I think the devs would take one look and be like "nope, a balance pass ain't happening!"

in the case of Seeking Fury, I'd argue the issue is not so much the mod, but rather with Punchthrough itself: it's not something people mod for, and most will just resort to AoE weapons and abilities, even after all the nerfs, if they feel they need to kill groups quickly. it's not really a desired stat, and I haven't known it work that well in situations where you'd expect it to. (Thumper Leg Shields for example). IMO it needs a full rework.

14 minutes ago, (PSN)jaggerwanderer said:

Arca Plasmor exist as well as catchmoon. Imagine 3m punchthrough before the falloff nerf. You can kill enemy units in the adjacent room without aiming. I'm still mad punch through does nothng against ramparts. Stupid shields.

Punch Through doesn't allow bullets/projectiles to pass through tiles unless there is a door. And the exact scenario you just stated is already possible with the Tenet. So nothing really changes.

Never really struck me as much of a problem. I’ll often have empty slots and capacity left over anyways, and then I’ll start thinking of alternative ways my weapon can perform

Even if there was a change it’d be slight, like maybe 25% reload speed or slightly reduced capacity or something. Basically not much will budge the meta seekers from their builds. Though I think they’d rather not be budged anyways, because their builds are doing exactly what they want them to do

My take is going to be Ammo Case and Looter. The ammo max buff from a mod exclusive to one companion is four times worse than the most common mod in the game and the other mod is here have slightly more planetary resources. I dislike this, if you are going to be picking a companion, it should not provide a worse effect than an exilus mod. I am aware there are some arguments that could be made for the mods but they are Carrier exclusive mods for pete's sake! They are not going to OP if you buff them, and if anything being companion exclusive should warrant looking at them compared to a mediocre Warframe mod that is able to be used on any loadout since the companion relies on those exclusive mods to function.

ArchMelee Elemental mods. Those are a convoluted mess. I really don't need to explain more until DE decides to give archmelee proper support.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, XHADgaming said:

it should not provide a worse effect than an exilus mod.

God, Exilus weapon mods. I wonder if it was a mistake to make that a thing. Their whole point was to be for mods that don't improve a weapon, or something to that effect. But the whole point of modding is to make a weapon better. Name any functional stat in the game and an argument can be made that for any stat that can be altered, there is a benefit to it somehow.

Fire rate? "erm well technically it increases your DPS"
Reload speed? "also DPS"

I wish DE just made a hard rule on them like "No mods that increase your damage, crit chance/damage or status" (forgive me if I missed a obvious example but you get the idea) since Exilus mods just feel really arbitrary. Certain Quality of Life/Utility mods aren't allowed to be Exilus, while at the same time. It houses Vigilante Supplies, which objectively improves your damage.

Edited by Zahnny

10 minutes ago, (XBOX)DragonMan 2700 said:

Wildfire - it gives 20% mag 60% heat  -_-  I understand its supposed to be about suppressing fire, but its worse than a 60/60 and less damage than a 90.

In my opinion it should be 50% mag 75-80% heat. 

I'd give it 30% reload 30% mag 75% heat. I might actually use it on some bullet hose weapons if it gave me a noticeable reload+mag size QoL

• Like 2

IMO some weapon corrupted mods need re-evaluating:

• Why are the critical chance mods incompatible with their normal counterpart (Critical Delay & Point Strike, Creeping Bullseye & Pistol Gambit, Critical Deceleration vs Blunderbuss)? Other corrupted mods don't do this - the loss/gain is left to the player to decide (opportunity cost).
  • Base damage mods:
    • Why does Magnum Force offer lower bonus than Hornet Strike (165% vs 220%) despite having negative (-55% Accuracy)?
    • Why does Heavy Caliber cost more than Serration (6-16 vs 4-14) despite having negative (-55% Accuracy)?
    • As comparison, Point Blank and Vicious Spread offer the same bonus (15%-90%) and cost the same (4-9), the latter having +60% spread as negative.
    • Primed Point Blank exist. What does Vicious Spread have to offer? Even Creeping Bullseye has higher bonus (200% CC with -20% FR) than Primed Pistol Gambit (187% CC).
  • Fire rate mods:
    • Shotgun Barrage and Frail Momentum offer the same bonus (90% FR), the latter having -15% Damage
    • Gunslinger has less bonus than Anemic Agility (72% FR vs 90% FR with -15% Damage)
    • Speed Trigger has less bonus than Vile Acceleration (60% FR vs 90% FR with -15% Damage)
  • Magazine Size mods:
    • Slip Magazine and Magazine Warp has less bonus than Tainted Mag and Tainted Clip respectively. The latter two have negatives. The former two have Primed versions, but both offer less bonus than their respective corrupted version.
    • Ammo Stock and Burdened Magazine offer the same bonus (60% Magazine Capacity), the latter having -18% Reload Speed. The former has Primed version that offers more bonus than the latter.
  • Target Cracker vs Hollow Point suffer the same issue as Point Blank vs Vicious Spread - same bonus, same drain but the corrupted one has negative, and the normal one has primed version.

So, should weapon corrupted mods be incompatible with the normal counterpart like the Crit Chance mods, or like everything else? Should they have the same bonus as the normal counterpart, only with negative, or have more? What about if a primed version of the normal counterpart comes? Should the Primed versions grant higher bonus, or lower, than the corrupted versions?

• Like 5

🤔 Warm Coat jumps out as one that kind of has no purpose. If they increased its effect and made what it protects against more prevalent, that’d be good.

Some of the elemental defense mods could use a look at, though I think that could be addressed by again making enemies who use those attacks more common (would not mind a Codex way to tell what damage type an enemy is using). We’ve also got two slide mods that cost differing amounts of capacity for the same exact effect, and I’m not entirely certain if they even stack

47 minutes ago, Zahnny said:

I got myself a Kuva Hek recently, but with its long reload speed and fire rate I equipped my power strength wisp and slapped on Reload speed mods to make the affinity grind with them less tedious.

And I came across...this...abomination.

4VSyULj.png

11 Mod capacity for only +1.2 Punch Through and...15% reload speed? Unranked it's 6 Capacity for 2.5% Reload and 0.2 Punch Through.

It doesn't seem to be exclusive to this though. All of the original Punch Through related mods have an absurd Capacity requirement. Metal Auger, Seeking Force and Seeker for the Rifle, Shotgun and Pistol respectively are all 15 Capacity for 2.1 Punch Through.

Archgun has Sabot Rounds at 15 capacity, but even that's more valuable, having a 60% damage increase and instead of 2.1 it's 3 Punch Through

With Shred being the only Punch Through mod being worth using, 11 Capacity, 30% Fire Rate and 1.2 Punch Through (16 Cap, 55% Fire Rate and 2.2 Punch on the Primed Variant)

But there's also the Vigilante mod exclusive for ALL Primaries called Vigilante Offense for 9 Capacity and 1.5 Punch Through, with the Vigilante bonus too.

(For the record, I'm not saying Vigilante Offense is bad, just that it's funny how much better a more modern Punch Through mod is by comparison.)

I guess at one point DE though Punch Through was overpowered but in the current meta landscape of Warframe, Punch Through is rarely ever sought after. The only way I can see Punch Through being worth it is for Mag's Magnetise with projectile weapons. So I'm surprised using them is so costly and should probably be revisited.

There are only a handful of punch-through mods in the game. Their main purpose is for beam chaining. And are still functional.

I do agree that the capacity needs to be reduced though, since we are at the point where you cannot equip max rank for all builds and the punch-through stat is just overcosted in comparison to other stats that can be provided.

Speaking of Kuva Hek and mods in consideration of a buff. Can we please get Scattered Justice x Kuva Hek interaction fixed instead of having one of the most absurd out of game excuses to not make it work?

Peciluars are nice, just leave them at a low capacity to use on a build that has a free exilus slot and 2-4 spare capacity to use. Do this on the orb mothers for a hilarious effect. Don't think they need to be changed at all, maybe the acquisition but that's about it.

37 minutes ago, BroDutt said:

Any normal base damage (Serration, Pressure Point, Point Blank and Hornet Strike) should had reduce drain. Not only it's rarely use on the current meta, it will help new player that still use this mod.

Eh don't think they need buffing. Their drain definitely does show when you are attempting to use a weapon that does not have a catalyst with it but not to the point where it needs to be reduced since it is one of the highest DPS mods on a build. I don't know which meta you are in that it is considered a rare option. It is still a very valid option to use in many facets of content, if not all. The new player experience and needing rank 10 out of the gate might need addressing but I'd say that is more on the endo/credit side of things which there has been plenty of improvements towards.

27 minutes ago, Leqesai said:

Strain set needs a major overhaul. 

Strain maggots not having some kind of synergy with Nidus is a crime.

Edit: I know virulence can explode them but I mean synergy with Nidus towards generating mutation

Forgot about those mods for a hot minute, Only relevant to me because I have about a dozen Strain Consume from doing PT, which in a way it acts as my PT run counter since I haven't need to use them or sell any of them off. Yeah they can be buffed alright.

19 minutes ago, (XBOX)DragonMan 2700 said:

Wildfire - it gives 20% mag 60% heat  -_-  I understand its supposed to be about suppressing fire, but its worse than a 60/60 and less damage than a 90.

In my opinion it should be 50% mag 75-80% heat. 

I use that mod on my two-mag Kuva Tonkor build that has a personal G-roll +mag riven on it along with numerous other builds it is on. Magazine warp is already 30% mag capacity so buffing wildfire to be even better than that would look out of place. I think the magazine capacity on it is fine at 20%. I like that instead of giving status to a weapon on your elemental mod you can boost your magazine size without a dedicated mod on it.

22 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Never really struck me as much of a problem. I’ll often have empty slots and capacity left over anyways, and then I’ll start thinking of alternative ways my weapon can perform

Yep, agreed. Equipping a second mod with a lesser effect will still provide a net overall boost. Looking at various mods that usually have a better counterpart is something that I love to do and use whether that'd be max reload builds or other builds that specialized in a singular stat.

14 minutes ago, XHADgaming said:

Yep, agreed. Equipping a second mod with a lesser effect will still provide a net overall boost. Looking at various mods that usually have a better counterpart is something that I love to do and use whether that'd be max reload builds or other builds that specialized in a singular stat.

And even then the standard game never required the massive amounts of overkill damage that players were/are building for as it scatters its rewards across various levels of content, and then DE introduced Steel Path specifically for min-maxers who had no interest in customisation or balance or build variety only enemies what hit harder and take harder hits that scale into the equivalent of infinity. Spare slots and capacity once sufficient damage and survival is identified (directly tied to how well a player can play and providing more spare slots/capacity for a mission the better someone can utilise what’s equipped) is how we get the chance to customise, which I think gets lost on players who only chase the unnecessarily biggest numbers.

That’s not to say there’s not some mods that could do with a look at, but changes to these mods influence a lot more than just some number chasers

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

Personally i think Warframes would need something like an Exilus slot, a mod slot specialized for only augments. This however would not prevent em to equip augment mods on the regular mod slots, cause a lot of warframe builds use more than just one augment, but it would free space or make more space for more vital mods, or just some utility mods.

• Like 1

There are far too many mods that are not worth the endo needed to rank them up. 

It's easier to note down the ones that are good enough to find their way in my loadouts.

And I don't even mean that in a situational sense , there are mods that just don't have much of a purpose existing on a loadout.

1 minute ago, (XBOX)Tanta Cinta said:

A primed seeking fury is well overdue.

25% Reload Speed and 2.1 Punch Through doesn't seem like much of an upgrade (Basing it off of Shred and Primed Shred)

Mod itself needs a buff first.

6 minutes ago, Jorak_Falconstar said:

Thunderbolt

I think they fear cernos being good too much to make the explosions scale with anything. Its a shame too, might breathe some life into forgotten bows and thrown secondaries if they revisited the two mods.

Frail Momentum and Burdened magazine are two of the stupidest mods in the entire game.

Spoiler

image.pngimage.png

image.pngimage.png

Same benefit as their normal counterparts but with a downside. And burdened magazine costs more mod capacity.....
The only reason to use these mods is if you're putting both them AND their non corrupted versions on at the same time.
Which for one thing, some people might not even think is possible because some actually useful corrupted mods don't allow you to do that, like the crit ones.
And also literally noone out there doubling up on fire rate or magazine mods.

Edited by PollexMessier
  • Like 3