The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pay plat to skip story content to access latest content-dev stream

(XBOX)ECCHO SIERRA

So DE is worried about the latest content drops being too hard to get to for new players because they have to do all the old content first. Kinda like how just for example it takes awhile to get to the new war. 

Well in the latest dev stream theyre considering adding pay-to-catch-up. 

Holy mother of god please no.

Jesus christ. This is the worst idea ive ever seen. I havent always agreed with DE and that might sound like hyperbole but it is literally the cringiest idea ive ever seen. 

The chat immediately was like please no. 

I really hope this is one of those things where they have an idea and the community is like please no and they *listen*.

A better solution would be to make more quests co-op enabled. 

Edited by (XBOX)ECCHO SIERRA
  • Like 36

'This isn't a greed thing'

Then why are you charging for it?

Edit:

I want you to consider what pay to skip enables.

Making quests tedious./ Time consuming. Difficult in ways that aren't challenging so much as frustrating for people who have things to do other than gaming (Example: I have a flock of chickens, goats, a couple of donkeys, and special needs siblings to help care for.) Then the quest does the dumb mobile gaming thing of reminding you that the button to make it all go away is Right There just whip out your credit card and... pay up. And all the frustration ends.

That is what will happen. Not at first no, but in time yes.... That is what will happen and where this leads.

Edited by ABlindGuyPlays
Elaboration on why Pay to Skip does not sit well with me.
  • Like 24

An option is to loan the necessary equipment for free on the first month of the update is a solution, you get a prebuilt modded necramech and railjack, and anything else until you complete it. will solve the problem and players will maybe not feel too robbed.

• Like 2

hmmmm......you see i get why they might do this.....because it caters tot he lazy people who want to skip tot he end and then claim they did everything.....

But also i fell like people need to actually play to learn how to play......and i like to play with my friends i have no qualms about playing old content.

In fact i would love it if i could replay something we cant replay.....and i think they should give some extra rewards for doing so....both to the new person and the players going back and helping.

All i know......is if they add a narator telling about the story so far.....

They need to have multiple people telling it that we can access from that characters perspective.  And maybe we can unlock some by differing game play.

They need Lotus, Nef Anyo, Vay Hek, Clem(as in they say clem clem clem....lol), Kahl, Tenshin, Cimaris, Ordis, Stalker

I just feel they could really have fun with this.....and really add to game stuff.

3 minutes ago, Mr.NoodleHair said:

Can't new players already play with their friends by doing normal star chart missions?

Instead of adding pay to skip, why not just streamline the older quests? Introduce them earlier in the starchart 🤷‍♂️

See I gejt why they make the story quests single player. From a design and work put in on the back end standpoint it is reasonable since fewer things to break.

Before everyone over-reacts. Listen the full conversation mentioned on the devstream, or in the dev post that is going to come! They are clarifying that it is not going to pay to win and they are still working on continuing to explore options about how best to do this. They are not just saying here give us 1K plat and be up to date as everyone else.

My personal opinion, I think that it is fine with the way they are doing it with constantly talking about it and how to implement it, or not, rather than being a pure plat for story skip. It will be curious to see what the final outcome is. One outcome I can suggest in this avenue is to give untradeable plat to everyone, or reducing the costs of items needed to match the plat you have, that you can use to for skipping content if you so wish. Rather than it being perceived as a pay us 40 bucks to get plat to use for skipping to the latest expansion if you've never played Warframe before.

• Like 1

I have no idea how complicated it would actually be to implement, but the solution is NOT to let players skip the story, but to DECOUPLE it from progression.

Story quests simply need to be fed to a new player without the new player having to grind through MR and build a bunch of nonsense.
The biggest hurdle is that there are quest prerequisites.

The experience needs to be:
1) You install Warframe for the first time, because you want to play Whispers in the Walls.
2) You open the quest and start it.
3) UI box opens up with text "This is the latest quest. You won't understand unless you play previous quests. Are you sure? Type in "I AM SURE" to start."
4) There can also be a button that will start the mentioned story recap video.

Solved.

• Like 17

There are so many better ways to do this. And I really hope that the whole suggestions was just a Tencent push towards more monetisation.

The simplest is to actually make Junctions mean something more. Unlock Slots and granting more Account MR, reducing grind even more, and ensuring that players that progress through the Star Chart are actually fully equipped for each Quest they come to.

• Like 8

I'm just disappointed, instead of implementing their newer mechanics to improve the old game modes+quest, and reworking some of them. They instead develop a skip. Skips are used to bypass something "bad". This isn't to say all of what's being skipped is bad, but moreso to say instead of directly fixing what's bad they instead want to make a skip that'll continue to sweep the bad under the rug AND now even the good will be skipped.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mr.NoodleHair said:

Instead of adding pay to skip, why not just streamline the older quests? Introduce them earlier in the starchart 

There is only that much streamlining you can do. You don't have a traditional campaign where you do one quest after another, like Destiny 2. At some point you will have to grind to improve your stuff and unlock more missions, etc. 

It's really not a big deal. People who will want to experience the game as it is will still do it. Those who don't, will get the skip. For DE it makes sense because it will mean that more potential new players will stay longer. For players it will hardly make any difference.

Aaand they might not implement it at all if people are too upset.

• Like 6

You say its not greed? seriously right to our faces dear god , this is the end of the warframe we knew. Tencent got there claws in them . Pathetic . Why are you charging then ? Why are you disrespecting my time i put in ? Why are you straight up ignoring what your players want? Not even bothering making another post all they do is merge them an say "its to have feedback all together were we can see it easier" thats a lie , you just dont want the forums showing players are not happy. Anyway go threw with this an so many players are gone.

• Like 4

I have some friends I'd love to introduce to Warframe, and I can't imagine any of them being thrilled at immediately being asked to cough up plat for new content. I already had one scornfully say "Isn't that a pay to win game?" cos she'd misunderstood Prime Access. I reaaaally wouldn't look forward to explaining pay-to-skip-story to her, as her very first impression. 

• Like 2

21 минуту назад, (XBOX)ECCHO SIERRA сказал:

DE is worried about the latest content drops being too hard to get to for new players because they have to do all the old content first

it is like if WOW devs would be worried that new players will need to lvl up to 80 to catch up all people who are playing long enough LOL

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Daddy.bulbs said:

You say its not greed? seriously right to our faces dear god , this is the end of the warframe we knew. Tencent got there claws in them . Pathetic . Why are you charging then ? Why are you disrespecting my time i put in ? Why are you straight up ignoring what your players want? Not even bothering making another post all they do is merge them an say "its to have feedback all together were we can see it easier" thats a lie , you just dont want the forums showing players are not happy. Anyway go threw with this an so many players are gone.

It's like skipping all 10 years of quests and development to just play a new quest...Like wtf??? Why? Why would they even shoot themselves in the foot for the new players that don't even play more than around 5 hrs then uninstall. This aint worth the tinkering and idk how the came up with the pay-to-skip idea...

• Like 8