The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Console players shouldn't be able to be hosts

Howdoipickaname

I am sick of these guys coming into long form missions and being host with AWFUL ping and then leaving after one run or one part of a bounty and leaving thus making me sit in the loading screen and more than likely bugging the run so I have to leave my mission and LOSE rewards or even have to alt f4 and restart the game. This is just a terrible issue that I'm sick of dealing with. Thoughts or counter points?

• Like 14

It depends on the console as well as other factors.   I'm sure there are cases where they're better hosts than some PC players.

But more optimized host selection would be a great thing.

edit:

16 minutes ago, Howdoipickaname said:

and then leaving after one run or one part of a bounty

Long before crossplay was a thing, this was very common on PC too.  So the old solutions still apply: get a group together, play solo, or just learn to live with it.

Edited by Tiltskillet
  • Like 13

13 minutes ago, Howdoipickaname said:

Thoughts or counter points?

Uh... Not everyone has a ton of cash (especially with inflation) and DE is the one who is not optimizing the game for older consoles. 

Also the fact that newer things use ssds cause the loading times for console players to be slower since the "default" is an SSD, not a hard drive, so again, DE isn't really optimizing hard drives even though it is equally unplayable for us when we can't join 1/3 of the survival/capture missions we queue into.

Just now, Genitive said:

I think it would be better if people were allowed to choose if they want to be a host or not. So if you have a poor connection, you would select "never host" in options, or "always host" if you have a good connection, you know.

I don't think people with bad connection want to play roulette to see if they'll be kicked out from joining the mid-progress public mission for the 3rd time in a row.

22 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

I don't think people with bad connection want to play roulette to see if they'll be kicked out from joining the mid-progress public mission for the 3rd time in a row.

I don't see how this is relevant to my post. Care to elaborate?

12 minutes ago, trst said:

There are valid reasons to not want console hosts but none of this is related to that issue. Bad ping and leaving after one rotation isn't exclusive to any platform.

Nah it definitely does. Especially in stuff like bounties and relics among the top most they will leave first. On the part of bad ping many of them just use wifi which exacerbates the issues with them being host even more.

This topic comes up every few weeks now and it'll always have the same exact issues rehashed. "Host bans" or filtering of any sort, including manual user selection, will just add more complexity and issues. They should ideally unify spawns, which may involve optimizing it on consoles or putting a cap on PC; trying to sort out who is the "best host" with the "best system for hosting" when the game currently cannot evaluate performance metrics or ensure someone has a consistent connection is silly, and applying artificial limits to matchmaking, based on user defined choices, may cause more problems with users who "can host" but their specific connection to others in a certain squad is spotty due to network infrastructure out of their control.

I'd prefer they just optimize AI routines and spawns so they're consistent (and possibly more performant on all platforms too, not just consoles), rather than introduce entire new systems and metrics that will come with their own set of problems.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, (XBOX)Upl0rdYT said:

Uh... Not everyone has a ton of cash (especially with inflation) and DE is the one who is not optimizing the game for older consoles. 

Also the fact that newer things use ssds cause the loading times for console players to be slower since the "default" is an SSD, not a hard drive, so again, DE isn't really optimizing hard drives even though it is equally unplayable for us when we can't join 1/3 of the survival/capture missions we queue into.

This has nothing to do with ping or them leaving early and bugging out the game and I'm not asking for a kick feature at all and neither was the other guy so perhaps stop projecting other issues into the primary discussion. I just want consoles to not be able to host or make the ping cap thing a harder set than it is because as someone else stated it is more of a guideline than a cap.

Edited by Howdoipickaname
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

That just sounds like a player with crappy connection or outdated hardware which isn't exclusive to console.

Not everyone wants to stick with the same people or even do a mission or bounty more than once.

Unless the group is bad or there’s obvious issues rude to leave after 1 rotation imo. I join endless because I enjoy long runs. There’s a bunch of other mission types if you just want a one and done.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Howdoipickaname said:

Nah it definitely does. Especially in stuff like bounties and relics among the top most they will leave first. On the part of bad ping many of them just use wifi which exacerbates the issues with them being host even more.

No you're just being an elitist on the issue. It has absolutely nothing to do with consoles specifically since console and PC can be using any form of connectivity and ISP. As well ping is also influenced by things like local infrastructure and geography.

As for leaving after one wave that's something players on every platform do and has been a ""complaint"" made long before there ever were console version of the game.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, (PSN)FirmBizkit said:

Unless the group is bad or there’s obvious issues rude to leave after 1 rotation imo. I join endless because I enjoy long runs. There’s a bunch of other mission types if you just want a one and done.

Not exactly, want to open one meso relic you got then the only missions available are survival and defense not gonna stay for more.

You're indirectly agreeing that anything goes on a public squad, if you want to guarantee a long run make a private squad

Edited by (XBOX)C11H22O11
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Howdoipickaname said:

Especially in stuff like bounties and relics among the top most they will leave first. On the part of bad ping many of them just use wifi which exacerbates the issues with them being host even more.

A+ effort on inventing new stereotypes.  But also, stop it, it's counter-productive.

• Like 5

My issue with console hosts is enemy spawns.

From my understanding, console players with old gen are still supported for some reason (I´m hoping that the upcoming update of whisphers in the walls being made entirely in the ENHANCED graphics engine will finally end it as their hardware will literally not be able to play it) and the negative side effect if they are the host is that enemy spawns are SEVERELY reduced and this is still the case.

So until that is changed I kinda completely avoid console hosts.

Edited by Mag_Gaming
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Not exactly, want to open one meso relic you got then the only missions available are survival and defense not gonna stay for more.

You're indirectly agreeing that anything goes on a public squad, if you want to guarantee a long run make a private squad

That’s valid and another thing I was going to mention but I wasn’t sure if they were talking about relics or not.

I’ve also had zero luck with private squads with both in game recruitment and discord. The game needs better LFG infrastructure. I’ve posted a dozen times in recruitment “LFG 1hr+ endless relics” and nobody ever joins. It’s only rad share. I just want to crack 100 relics and genocide some grineer for an hour.

I can solo steel path survival easy for an hour but 1 it’s better loot with other people and 2 it’s less lonely even if they’re bots that never talk

I enjoy being able to solo and that co-op isn’t mandatoey but as stupid as it sounds it’s very lonely playing by yourself and not as fun. I literally rolled Tamer in Black Desert for a year just because it felt a bit less lonely with the AI tiger following me…

Edited by (PSN)FirmBizkit
  • Like 1

As far as I understand and have experienced (prior to crossplay), there are discrepancies across systems. Thats before you even get to internet infrastructure and the issues that may cause. Meaning is it just consoles, or players with dated or older or just plain suboptimal PC's that you have an issue with? What about PC players who use wifi instead of cable connections? Also which consoles? Like obviously there are some PS5 players that don't want to play with Switch players right?

Like, yeah ideally having everything optimised, so less lag, less disconnections, less delays, more spawns, and other issues are reduced, ideal. Few things though, some of us don't really care as much. Personally, I'd rather play with old gen consoles, PC players, who are chill, polite, respectful, friendly etc than people on perfect hardware who aren't chill, immature, sheltered about life. Next, such issues will always be around in some form, unless real world technology, understanding infrastructure, parity, opportunity issues are fixed and addressed and solved. Then nothing wrong with preferences and wanting optimised experiences, but you'll probably want more options, and some of them are more realistic than others. DE is more about making money overall and retaining players. Much of that money and players are from consoles. Giving some of them and PC players options? Eh, reasonable. Demanding console players not be hosts in a way reminiscent of console/system wars... ehh. 

Until then, best people can do is turn off crossplay. Yes I know, its not ideal and its on by default so your options will be smaller, but again, a lot of people just really don't care about other peoples systems. Its a bit like Eidolons, some people only want elite hardcore 1000 Tricap allies, for 6x3 runs, some people don't mind playing with those, or newbies, doing it for the first time and maybe going slow, because of that. Some people care more about attitude and decent attitudes. So a lot of people just find there to be more pros than cons with playing with people, even if it might mean a slightly suboptimal experience. Turning off crosplay is the only actual way to avoid those dirty console creatures. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Howdoipickaname said:

I have been informed I can just turn off cross play from a clan mate so my problems solved. Seen some good points and some people projecting on this but thank you all for your time and possible solutions to this issue. Happy holidays.

That is not even a proper solution as you will not be able to play with PC players that have cross play enabled so you are reducing your matchmaking to effectively solo.

Best thing you can do is Host LFGs and specify no console players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Howdoipickaname said:

I am sick of these guys coming into long form missions and being host with AWFUL ping and then leaving after one run or one part of a bounty and leaving thus making me sit in the loading screen and more than likely bugging the run so I have to leave my mission and LOSE rewards or even have to alt f4 and restart the game. This is just a terrible issue that I'm sick of dealing with. Thoughts or counter points?

stay off public, randoms are a nightmare and the host is based off of internet connection and speed not which platform you are on.
i've had pc members in my squad with no issues and also been in a squad where a pc player was a host with terrible internet connection and the lag was insane

1 hour ago, Genitive said:

I don't see how this is relevant to my post. Care to elaborate?

If I was on a bad console like Xbox one, and they implemented what you said, why would I choose to always join a session that will probably disconnect me before I even load in, instead of making my own public steel path survival fissure that I won't lag out of.

• Like 1