The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Instantly Knowing Where The Demolisher is Kinda Kills Disruption

6 minutes ago, CrownOfShadows said:

OMG this is TRUE! I didn't even realize it - this has got to be a bug. The status purge field expands like normal from them but it doesn't actually cleanse them!

I searched the Dante forums but don't see a single mention of it. Did you report it?

No, I figured they already knew if they've watched a single stream or video of people playing their game. 

• Like 1

I don't see how this "kills" Disruption. If anything it makes it significantly better due to making rounds even faster which was half of the whole allure of the mission type in the first place. Plus the obvious benefit to those who don't play with headphones and/or are hard of hearing. As well the Demolisher always had a subtle waypoint that'd appear for a second once it was in range (or something like that, always seemed inconsistent) so getting a direct waypoint is just a more clear indicator of what we always had.

There's also another consideration of Mobile players now. I'd imagine that Disruption for them would be a massive pain between the smaller more cluttered screen and the higher chance of poor audio quality. Then pair that with how a lot of players struggle with actually getting the damage to kill Demolishers in time.

• Like 8

You can perma lock down Demo anyways. You just time it right. I did it for hours using Ivara solo for the Event.

If you're running Enemy Radar you can spot the demo from pretty far away also.

Did this take away from paying more attention? Sorta. Is it a big deal in a game where we use out minimap to kill things? Not really.
If other aspects of the game took more attention. I'd be more on the side of engagement. After all Morowind no map markers is king.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trst said:

I don't see how this "kills" Disruption.

So imagine a new update comes out and disruption is changed again. This time you just load into a level, sit there for the appropriate amount of time doing nothing at all, and then are gifted something from the reward table. Would that be 'killing it' for you or would you be pleased about that?

14 minutes ago, trst said:

As well the Demolisher always had a subtle waypoint that'd appear for a second once it was in range (or something like that, always seemed inconsistent) so getting a direct waypoint is just a more clear indicator of what we always had.

Except it's universal and instant. So it's not a 'more clear indicator of what we always had', it's a new indicator for something we never had.

16 minutes ago, trst said:

There's also another consideration of Mobile players now. I'd imagine that Disruption for them would be a massive pain between the smaller more cluttered screen and the higher chance of poor audio quality. Then pair that with how a lot of players struggle with actually getting the damage to kill Demolishers in time.

There is, unfortunately, probably too much truth to this.

1 hour ago, CrownOfShadows said:

Rather than just instantly showing everyone where the demolisher is and where to go, they could keep the search aspect as it is and just add visual feedback to indicate your proximity.

Something as simple as visual dot on the HUD that flashes in sync with the sound pulses or increases it's flash rate with proximity, or something as advanced as a custom sonar or tying it into our radar system, or a meter so you are 'sounding' for it and slowly resolving it's direction visually like any number of other games, or some of the suggestions TiltSkillet made.

Well, like I said, I had no problem with you sharing your idea and honestly, I like this idea a lot

Do you think this could be also applied to the min-map, so it "pings" possible locations for you to reach and confirm if it's that way or not? Since I can definitely see some sort of ginger counter or the Alien ginger (from the movie Aliens) that could work like that maybe?

Question tho, once you do locate the Demo, will other players be notified of it or will they need to just simply get to your spot? or will that just be up to the player to uh mark the target?

16 minutes ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

Well, like I said, I had no problem with you sharing your idea and honestly, I like this idea a lot

Do you think this could be also applied to the min-map, so it "pings" possible locations for you to reach and confirm if it's that way or not? Since I can definitely see some sort of ginger counter or the Alien ginger (from the movie Aliens) that could work like that maybe?

Question tho, once you do locate the Demo, will other players be notified of it or will they need to just simply get to your spot? or will that just be up to the player to uh mark the target?

I really don't trust you.

-_-

Anyways, ok, let's pretend you didn't try to eviscerate me. Yes, something like a Geiger counter could work fine. I would not personally hook it up like that to the mini map but I'm not the game dev.

We already even have this basic system in warframe - it's our mining. When we're out mining, we have the audio cue that tells us when you're close and in the right direction and it gets louder when we get closer, but we also have HUD elements to show the same thing. More rock icons pop up as they enter detection range, but it doesn't point us directly at them. It doesn't directly mark them for us. You have to go find them. It's a guidance mechanism, it's the not longitude and latitude of the thing. (not the cleanest example motivationally but as far as tech goes it's pretty spot on).

As mentioned in the OP, I originally was under the impression that they were simply auto-marking the demolisher across the team once it was found so players didn't have to struggle to waypoint it, and I'm fine with that - seems like a perfectly fine QoL, it's just an improvement to how it works now where it's blocked by being too far away (whereas waypoints aren't).

4 hours ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

Uh..

Please PLEASE tell me you mean explosions form the game 

I know they already answered, but if there are are vehicles or a generator nearby running off internal combustion engines, then there technically are nearby explosions IRL.

6 hours ago, rahetalius4.2.0CE said:

IIRC this was done as a QoL thing for people who are hard of hearing and such

That's one notable case. But I think the main reason is the majority of players like myself just want to put on music or listen to a podcast while running endless missions. Being unable to do that while simultaneously trying to make out barely audible beeps amongst all the wanton chaos around you AND having Little Duck talk your ear off was pretty damn annoying.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CrownOfShadows said:

So imagine a new update comes out and disruption is changed again. This time you just load into a level, sit there for the appropriate amount of time doing nothing at all, and then are gifted something from the reward table. Would that be 'killing it' for you or would you be pleased about that?

Except nothing about the mode has been removed with the change. You still need to get the correct keys to drop, kill the Disruptor, and ensure you're getting the correct number of conduits for the rotation you're aiming for. Knowing where the target sooner hasn't detracted from the mode.

But yes, if it literally just gave you rewards for nothing you'd find most of the community pleased with that change. After all why do you think players blew up over the AOE ""nerfs"" and Wukong nerf? Those systems let players do exactly that in all modes. Personally I wouldn't approve of such a change but I'm not part of the "majority" of players.

Except it's universal and instant. So it's not a 'more clear indicator of what we always had', it's a new indicator for something we never had.

Getting a static indicator sooner isn't all that different from a subtle one you got after a longer delay. Either way it's still a marker pointing you directly to the target. It's also not that different from the audio queue pointing you directly to it once it got within a few rooms, assuming you could even hear it in the first place.

There is, unfortunately, probably too much truth to this.

Yeah it's almost like DE wants to make the game playable for the platform they just launched onto which also happens to be the single largest game platform in the world. Funny that.

• Like 5

As someone who is hearing impaired, I'm very happy about this. However I was not expecting it to pin point instantly where the demolyst is. The challenge is more about how tanky the enemy as compared to finding them so I'm ok with this.

• Like 8

vor 3 Stunden schrieb CrownOfShadows:

I see you dont want to stay serious anymore.

• Like 9

It's about money and to get money you need as much engagement as possible. The changes suggest that the data DE has and the feedback analysis points towards the likelihood of MORE engagement if the mission was easier/faster. They've been at this for a decade and know how to balance the benefits of more engagement vs possible negative response and whether that attrition can be managed and is worthwhile.

Personal opinions are subjective and I happen to agree with the op but that doesn't matter so much. What does matter is that DE constantly chases engagement so that this game survives as a free to play game and if DE thinks taking the risk to make changes like this is beneficial as a business proposition then so be it as I'd like this game to be around for many years to come.

I may not like some of the tweaks/changes (like this one and changing the red key to yellow when there are 2 blue ones!) but considering the big picture I can live with it.

5 hours ago, CrownOfShadows said:

Maybe it's the toxicity of the forums getting to me but whenever someone says 'tell us how you'd do it' that's a red flag - 99% of the time they don't care and they just want to bash whatever idea you might throw out there. Anyways, just posted some quick thoughts for the wolves to mock and shred a couple posts above this.

Yep, just read it and I think we're on the same page, especially the visual pulsing syncing with the audio. 

Regarding the potential insulting replies, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I mostly see strong pushback when the person with the Idea decides to bash DE first, and then insert their idea. At that point, everyone is going to expect an epic idea that backs up the bash talk. 

13 hours ago, CrownOfShadows said:

Yeah I have zero problem with updating it so that there's visual feedback instead of just audio - that was always bad and I've always had to shut off my music every time I started up a disruption which was irritating. Heck, add controller vibration support.

All of that has nothing to do with the issue I raised though. So specify what you actually are so pleased about:

1. You want visual feedback
  2. Or you want to change how disruption works to make it easier for you

Because it's very simple to keep disruption exactly the way it was and still add visual support.

danger to the conduit

I dont see how its so simple to add visual feedback without "giving it away". 

Even if it was as simple as an arrow pointing in the general direction, that pretty much gives it away.

As for vibration, not everyone plays with a controller. 

I'm not deaf or hard of hearing, but I am grateful for this change. It makes the game mode less annoying and its no longer this one particular mode in the whole game that punishes you if you want to listen to music or something, or have the game volume turned down for some reason. 

• Like 2

It's an overall improvement even if it makes it too easy now.

I was hoping they wouldn't pinpoint exactly where the demolisher is, though, just give us a general direction of where they are. But the core gameplay still makes sense and nothing has really changed for someone like me, who could parkour very quickly and find the noise indicator very early anyways.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ECCHOSIERRA said:

I dont see how its so simple to add visual feedback without "giving it away".

Simple suggestions on page 2. And a comparison to mining further up on this page. I'd repost them here for you but apparently that makes people batS#&$ crazy so you're going to have to read them on your own.

6 hours ago, Hexerin said:

As someone who enjoys listening to a music playlist while grinding, this change is a massive improvement to the mode.

Thanks for not reading anything. The visual indicator IS A GOOD CHANGE. That's not the problem.

21 minutes ago, CrownOfShadows said:

Thanks for not reading anything. The visual indicator IS A GOOD CHANGE. That's not the problem.

Your complaint itself is borne of you not reading, so the irony of this response is amusing. They explicitly stated that the indicator would show up once a player hears the beeping from the Demolisher, there's no room for confusion there.

Also, consider for a moment that not everyone plays the game the same way as you do. You clearly play in squads (whether public lobbies, or with friends), but many people tend towards solo play. I am one of those who tends towards solo play, especially in modes where dead weight randoms will cause a mission to take significantly longer than it needs to.

So taking the viewpoint of solo play into consideration, re-read my response. While solo, I don't have other bodies that will find the Demolisher, so the marker serving as an "automatic waypoint from a teammate" would be useless.

I read your OP, and I responded to what you are complaining about. I simply disagree with your stance that the way the marker is implemented is bad.

Edited by Hexerin
  • Like 7