Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(Resolved) Issue with Steam Tennogen skins on Prime frames

Xardis

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't mind having my Prime bling show up on skins, especially Volt's Graxx skin, but I don't think it'd be possible to add a toggle to hide the gold trim. Some skins hide the Prime entirely (mainly full re-skins like weapon skins and Deluxe Warframe skins), while others only change what would be part of the original Frame (like how using Loki's Immortal Skin on his Prime leaves the thigh pads, gold "badge", and elbow blades untouched).

Would it be nice to have more options for the glory that is Fashion Frame? Yes. Is it possible? Until we hear about it from DE, we can assume it won't be happening. The way I see it, it's either gold bits on skins for Primes or complete model swaps to remove the Prime parts; no way to have both, no way to please all.

Edit:

I just saw a suggestion saying the Tennogen skins should give two versions when purchased; one that completely swaps the model to hide the Prime parts, and another that keeps the Prime parts. I don't know how difficult that would be to add, but it's a reasonable request that would make everyone happy. ...Though then DE would have to go through and make that change for all skins for our Frames (excluding Deluxe skins), and we don't know if they're willing to spend their time doing so.

Edited by Fukushu

This is issue is mostly about prime warframes and some weapons. I decided to make this post because of the recent tennogen skins not applying the way people want them to be applied on PC. 

Example. Applying an immortal skin on a prime warframe only changes the skins pattern/design, some people are not fond of that considering it looks different compared to the regular variant warframe. The main difference being the mesh and the physical parts are different, the body is different. Some people like it and some people don't. 

I suggest making customization a bit more fine tuned. We should be able to select the warframes/weapon 'body' and 'head' (mesh) and then select the skin (pattern/design) that we want to apply to that mesh.

Prime warframes and weapons should have the option for us to select their regular variant mesh, just like we can select regular warframe variant helmets for primes

Not only will this help us fine tune and make our cosmetic appeal more personal, but also this will give us more freedom when customizing. 

Edited by (XB1)LexaHex
clearer title

On top of this, I still am waiting for a few changes regarding specific armor/other parts (Like Ember Prime armor, Banshee armor, etc.) Mainly, huge pieces like Nova Prime's back piece result in either crazy clipping or awkward placements. Skins, meshes, accessories. It's all part of the problem known as 'Fashion Frame' and we all take it very seriously  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 minutes ago, Bizzaro21 said:

which is true xD

so now i bet u`d love to have that look ur keeping X for on X` and save the slots, no?

I don't care, I have a collection of frames and actually get some extra configurations for the skins and some custom colors. I have almost all weapons I've ever gotten (in fact I make dupes to get the ones that require one)

So yeah. Actually more is more for once for me :3

On the topic though, using the default mesh should be a thing at will. However, I think the right thing would be to make a compromise. AKA keep default frame if you want default mesh.

Edited by NightmareT12

2 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

I don't care, I have a collection of frames and actually get some extra configurations for the skins and some custom colors. I have almost all weapons I've ever gotten (in fact I make dupes to get the ones that require one)

So yeah. Actually more is more for once for me :3

i take that as u wont mind

On 7.9.2016 at 0:25 AM, Bizzaro21 said:

exactly. if nobody keeps them already, why would not another reason not to be added?

or look at it this way, primes are better, will stay better, and are meant to be better, why not make them look good as well? looking good is important to a lot of people (me included) but i wont keep a donwgrade for its looks, i`d rather have the upgrade look good

Believe it or not, there are many people that like to keep the original frames along the normal ones. My boyfriend for one, is such a case.

Personally I don't would want to go back to the look of the original ones - especially since I think that kinda defeats the point of having primed versions, if they do not look different and only have better stats - but if it is, as the OP said toggleable, then I see no problem to introduce that mechanic.

But seriously, the only frame on which I might use that option would be Excal P, but since I am not a founder and he is never going to be coming back, I have no worries there xD

So, we have a ton of awesome TennoGen stuff. But some of them looking alot worse, then they they could look on prime Warframes. Really, I hate that metal parts on Volt Prime's knees, when using Graxx skin, or those metal neck of Nova Prime, when using Visage skin, etc. It's not intended by skin creators to be there and it's obvious. Can we get an option to swap Warframe's model to regular one?

I doubt this will happen. Its to do with how the models are made. These 'prime parts' are just areas of the model painted gold. Apart from the colour there is no different to the rest of the model. In order to make the option to turn these off, you would need a complete re-model of every prime warframe. Its not impossible to do, but it would take a fair amount of time and resources away from creating new content.

The simple fact is that you may need to use the originals instead of the primes if its a large enough concern for you. (Though you may not have kept both version. I did, but im an obsessive collector).

10 minutes ago, chaotea said:

Its not impossible to do, but it would take a fair amount of time and resources away from creating new content.

I think it's actually quite simple.

For the Prime Warframes, add an option in Arsenal to switch between Prime and Regular models and boom, that's it.

Edited by ngrazer

5 minutes ago, ngrazer said:

I think it's actually quite simple.

For the Prime Warframes, add an option in Arsenal to switch between Prime and Regular models and boom, that's it.

Thats not going to happen. They've said that they arnt going to allow people to use the meshes for non-prime frames on primes and vice versa.

10 hours ago, chaotea said:

Thats not going to happen. They've said that they arnt going to allow people to use the meshes for non-prime frames on primes and vice versa.

10 hours ago, JustOR1G1N said:

You made me wanna cry in despair... 

IIRC that was never said at any point. The only thing I can think of coming remotely close to that is when they said alt helmets wouldn't be able to change if equipped on prime frames.

How do you explain Trinity's immortal skin removing some of her prime bits uppon equip? That's changing the mesh isn't it?

Edited by Demoonic

13 hours ago, Demoonic said:

IIRC that was never said at any point. The only thing I can think of coming remotely close to that is when they said alt helmets wouldn't be able to change if equipped on prime frames.

There was an older devstream, though i confess i dont remember which, where they did discuss, after asked the question by a community member, whether primes would be able to use the regular model and vice versa (provided you had both). After some consideration Steve said that they would not do it and wanted to keep the prime and the regular separate.

13 hours ago, Demoonic said:

How do you explain Trinity's immortal skin removing some of her prime bits uppon equip? That's changing the mesh isn't it?

While i confess to not being 100% on this, i think its because the vanishing prime bits on Trinity (and on some parts of the newer primes) are separate instances of the model (ie, separate meshes). The immortal skin however doesn't have textures for these parts, being that it is designed for the regular model, so they arnt rendered. Its possible these attachments are still there, but unseen.

This may provide a way of hiding the prime additions, but it wouldnt be a toggle, but a straight up change. Meaning everyone who likes the gold will be on the other side.

On 07/09/2016 at 1:38 AM, Fukushu said:

Edit:

I just saw a suggestion saying the Tennogen skins should give two versions when purchased; one that completely swaps the model to hide the Prime parts, and another that keeps the Prime parts. I don't know how difficult that would be to add, but it's a reasonable request that would make everyone happy. ...Though then DE would have to go through and make that change for all skins for our Frames (excluding Deluxe skins), and we don't know if they're willing to spend their time doing so.

While it may not be difficult, it would require twice the work. As such, its likely that the price for tennogen, at worst, would double. Unless these skins were done as seperate items, but i doubt the creators would do so as players are likely to only buy one or the other, and so thier time spent/ money earned would be halfed.

On 9/5/2016 at 1:41 AM, dodorichard said:

I just bought the Tennogen skin Rhino Vojnik Battle-Damaged Skin by Valkovyi and am absolutely in love with it. I have also bought Hitsu San/s Excal skin and feel like a man playing with Ken and Barbie while I try on all sorts of thing on them. But one thing came as a surprise when I used the skin on my Rhino Prime, the shoulders reverted to the default Primed variant and would not change to the new skin. This really destroys the overall look of the skin whom Valkovyi really did an outstanding job on. 

Could there be an option to let us turn on / off the "Primed Accessories", thereby letting us see the entire skin in all its intended beauty?

Thanks and keep on bringing us great Tennogen content.

I noticed the same thing for Rhino Prime.  The shoulders and waist piece ruin the overall theme.  I wrote Volkovyi about this and they said that they are not allowed access to prime pieces.  That right there needs to change.  It would simply allow the creators to fully complete their theme.

As a huge fan of the Grineer aesthetics that is in Warframe, I was excited when I started seeing the Graxx series by Faven_PS start to get put in the game. However, there is a big discrepancy in the way Faven_PS 's skins have been implemented. It is clear that these skins were made for the non-prime variants of frames, however, for the prime variants of Warframes tennogen skins have protruding prime "bits" that detract from the skin. Here I have a few examples.

http://imgur.com/a/fr1Qr

Not only do these "bits" not match the rest of the skin, but they also are not part of the color scheme of the skin and can be a very big pain to customize. We have seen that it is possible for these "bits" to be hidden in deluxe skins like Palantine and Proto skins, so it is possible for a specific model to be linked with a skin. What I am requesting is for tennogen skins to use the non-prime models of frames. This would fix the problem of protruding "bits" from skins, but still allow players to use prime helmets if they want to. Of course, this change would be good for all tennogen skins, not just the Graxx series.

Edited by Liverslices