Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Focus: The Elephant In The Room, A Discussion

Tesseract7777

Note: This is partly feedback, so it could almost go in general, but I'm putting it in general discussion because I don't just want to talk at the devs. I also want to get the community's feelings on this issue, and see where people stand, and have a discussion on the current state of focus, as well as the specific concerns I am about to bring up. 

Some people may think I am here to talk about xp. Not really. Sure, there are plenty of issues with that, and that part could sure use a lot of tweaks, but people manage to grind the xp quickly if they really want to. And 100,000 is a fine cap for most people who aren't super duper hardcore.

No, the problem with focus is the powers themselves and how the cooldowns work. 

The problem isn't that Naramon is overpowered. 

The problem isn't that Zenurik is overpowered

The problem isn't that Vazarin is overpowered. 

The problem isn't that Unairu and Madurai are mostly useless (although those statements ARE true). 

The bigger problem is how passive powers work, versus active powers, and how the cooldown system for focus powers work. 

The fact of the matter is that you could fix Unairu and Madurai today and fix all focus powers to make them useful powers if they aren't already. You could fix the xp issues completely, and the true elephant would still be in the room. 

That issue is that the way the cooldown system works, we are strongly discouraged from using anything but the passive powers. Roughly 2/3rd's of every focus school is being almost completely ignored. 

Let me repeat: The biggest problem with focus right now is that there is almost no reason to even bother using or even leveling roughly 2/3rd's of every focus school. 

I'm sure a lot of work went into the design of those powers by the dev team, and that work is going to waste right now. 

The issue is that the cooldown timer works the same way for passive powers as it does for active ones -- quite frankly it should not work that way. That is the biggest problem here. 

The way the cooldown system works for passive powers make sense. You have to wait a few minutes before you can get the passive powers started. This keeps it from being totally overpowered -- just walking into a mission and being more of a god. In order to balance having more passive powers active, the more you have, the longer it takes to come off the initial cooldown at the beginning of the mission. This is a good thing for passive powers and keeps it balanced. 

The problem is that the cooldown system for the active powers works the same exact way. Now, should you be able to spam your active power right away when the mission starts? No, you should still have to wait for an initial cooldown for a bit to use your power, and there should be a cooldown in between for balance, but it should be significantly shorter. 

It's justified to make us wait several minutes for passive powers to get going -- they last the entire mission and are quite powerful. But no matter how much you buff the active powers, when you can only use it once every 3-5 minutes based on how many powers in the tree you have active, it simply isn't worth specing for. To put it simply, active powers that are single use and activate one time when casting your focus ability, should have much less addition to the overall cooldown than the passive ones -- if anything, they should be decreasing the cooldown. 

This can be fixed by not allowing us to activate both passive and "active" focus skills at the same time. passive ones will work as always, but active ones would either only add a very small amount to the cooldown, or actually slightly decrease it. Buff the powers, fix the xp all you want -- it won't make a difference. If the cooldowns remain as punishing as they are, no one is seriously going to bother with anything besides the passive focus powers. 

How do you all feel about this? Do you feel this is an important issue? Do you think a change like this would significantly help focus? 

What in your opinion is the biggest issue facing focus and it's place in the game today? 

And another really important question: 

How many of you, if any, find yourselves seriously specing for or leveling the active powers (beyond just for the sake of being a completionist)? 

18 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

How many of you, if any, find yourselves seriously specing for or leveling the active powers (beyond just for the sake of being a completionist)? 

I actually do level almost all aspects of my tree and get pretty nice use out of it.

My problem with passives though is that they're not active immediately when I feel they should be since that would actually make them Passive. If I want to spec to have more then just passives in a mission (Which I do) then I get some insanely long 5+m cooldown in which I am actually done with any non-endless mission at that point rendering focus completely useless and the one thing I might have gotten use of throughout the mission (The "Passives") nowhere to be seen.

31 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Note: This is partly feedback, so it could almost go in general, but I'm putting it in general discussion because I don't just want to talk at the devs. I also want to get the community's feelings on this issue, and see where people stand, and have a discussion on the current state of focus, as well as the specific concerns I am about to bring up. 

Some people may think I am here to talk about xp. Not really. Sure, there are plenty of issues with that, and that part could sure use a lot of tweaks, but people manage to grind the xp quickly if they really want to. And 100,000 is a fine cap for most people who aren't super duper hardcore.

The problem isn't that Unairu and Madurai are mostly useless (although those statements ARE true). 

The bigger problem is how passive powers work, versus active powers, and how the cooldown system for focus powers work. 

The fact of the matter is that you could fix Unairu and Madurai today and fix all focus powers to make them useful powers if they aren't already. You could fix the xp issues completely, and the true elephant would still be in the room. 

That issue is that the way the cooldown system works, we are strongly discouraged from using anything but the passive powers. Roughly 2/3rd's of every focus school is being almost completely ignored. 

Let me repeat: The biggest problem with focus right now is that there is almost no reason to even bother using or even leveling roughly 2/3rd's of every focus school. 

I'm sure a lot of work went into the design of those powers by the dev team, and that work is going to waste right now. 

The issue is that the cooldown timer works the same way for passive powers as it does for active ones -- quite frankly it should not work that way. That is the biggest problem here. 

The way the cooldown system works for passive powers make sense. You have to wait a few minutes before you can get the passive powers started. This keeps it from being totally overpowered -- just walking into a mission and being more of a god. In order to balance having more passive powers active, the more you have, the longer it takes to come off the initial cooldown at the beginning of the mission. This is a good thing for passive powers and keeps it balanced. 

The problem is that the cooldown system for the active powers works the same exact way. Now, should you be able to spam your active power right away when the mission starts? No, you should still have to wait for an initial cooldown for a bit to use your power, and there should be a cooldown in between for balance, but it should be significantly shorter. 

It's justified to make us wait several minutes for passive powers to get going -- they last the entire mission and are quite powerful. But no matter how much you buff the active powers, when you can only use it once every 3-5 minutes based on how many powers in the tree you have active, it simply isn't worth specing for. To put it simply, active powers that are single use and activate one time when casting your focus ability, should have much less addition to the overall cooldown than the passive ones -- if anything, they should be decreasing the cooldown. 

This can be fixed by not allowing us to activate both passive and "active" focus skills at the same time. passive ones will work as always, but active ones would either only add a very small amount to the cooldown, or actually slightly decrease it. Buff the powers, fix the xp all you want -- it won't make a difference. If the cooldowns remain as punishing as they are, no one is seriously going to bother with anything besides the passive focus powers. 

How do you all feel about this? Do you feel this is an important issue? Do you think a change like this would significantly help focus? 

What in your opinion is the biggest issue facing focus and it's place in the game today? 

i play warframe now since a long time and same way i have given up illusions, daydreaming about development or speculations about that and a clear lore etc., and since this moment happened i enjoy my gaminglife in warframe

everything else, umbras, development in general is in the hands of the marketing and creative part of DE which i cant influence with whatever i tried

so i have given up and im a happy tenno again, and, most important, i did it for myself ^^^))))))) ... no more, no less ...

Edited by Guest

I agree with you completely.  I have upgraded the passive abilities in all schools, they are all good, some great.  Even Urarui work on Inaros infested (is actually pretty sweet on that one build versus that one faction).  

With that said, I am done.  I do not go out of my way to reach the cap anymore.  Anything else I add only increases the cool down and prevents use.  

Varazin has some good passives that I ignore (or turn off) so I can stack revives.

I think the passive should have a cool down as existing system but the actives should be able to be cast at any time for say 100 energy (regardless of how many effects are on), max effeciency would lower to 25.  

Cool downs are not fun. If you save for trouble, you'll never need it.  If you use immediately for passive, it gets wasted.  

If this system is to stay the same, the effects need to be much more drastic.  I'm talking map clearing abilities ever 5-6 minutes...

The issue I have is that the powers feel totally underwhelming for what they do. 

I use Zenurik personally, and the only times I pop it is at extraction or to enable the passives. Cutting my dps output is not worth the mediocre crowd control it provides. 

Focus powers don't feel good to use. My view of them is that they should be the real Ultimate abilities in the game, something that, when used just right, can completely turn a situation around in a way that no other ability can.

Dumping a perfect rocket barrage in Overwatch clears out points better than anything else in the game, it feels good to use, and you want to work around using it. Hitting Zenurik feels like a worse version of Bastille. Sure it can come in handy, but there is other stuff in the game that does the job better. 

I feel like focus really needs to feel impactful more than anything else. 

There is no one single easily solved problem. The fact that you and others refuse to accept this is why focus is at a stalemate. it's not JUST that unairu is underpowered. It's not JUST that zenurik and especially naramon are overpowered. It's both. All of it. In 90% of situations you can't just take one tiny part of something that's a big problem and change it and expect it to be fixed. But you probably know that, most people who say zenurik/naramon aren't overpowered just don't want to lose their ability to cheese.

OP is right on one thing. I do not use the vast majority of my schools. I just use the passive effect(s) I want and the cool down reduction. Level up the primary ability and then level them for fun. The amount of CD increase per node needs to be reduced to no more than 20 and the value of the cool down reduction node should be slightly increased. That or change most of the schools to no longer have dependencies and just let us pick the abilities we want without stuff getting in the way (Increasing the cool down).

That said, I have little to no issue with the experience speed of Focus. It's suppose to be a very late game thing...even though you can start it at MR4...which is dumb. I don't expect to max out every day and I still find I can generate more than enough xp to progress at a fair rate. I do however use exclusively greater lenses.

Unairu desperately needs to be reworked. The concept, the active ability, the passives. The whole damn school needs to be redone from scratch.

Madurai just needs to do Untyped damage and the IPS passives need to be made a SINGLE passive, that instead of just physical increases ALL damage. With that change...suddenly Madurai looks pretty damn appealing.

congrats OP ! you win the Wall o' Text Award for today!!

focus as a whole is kind of screwed right now.  focus XP is gained so slowly, i simply ignore it until i have 100k or so built up.  Passive abilities are helpful, especially the energy siphon thing.  Yellow flowers are more annoying than helpful.  Many times I avoid grabbing yellow flowers because of the annoying display when the timer runs out.  In fact, the focus system is such a mess, i mostly just ignore it, with the exception of using the energy siphon passive. 

OP is correct in that the focus system is a huge mess that needs to be cleaned up.   Would making the changes that OP suggests help? certainly.  but that would be just a start

Edited by DeadlyPeanutt

I feel, the problem with Focus is that they want to fill a void, that was never there. A solution looking for a problem.

The thing is, we already have a lot of other elements in the game that does what these Focus schools do in the form of Warframe abilities, mods, weapons, Arcane Enhancements, etc.. To be honest, I feel they only added it in so that your Operator can play some part in a mission. I don't use the Focus abilities because I need to. I use them because it makes most missions easier than they already are.

I created a similar topic, but focusing on the "Mastery" nodes and how ineffective they are at reducing cooldown. I even included a suggested equation for cooldown reduction.

I think this would help with the active abilities and being able to add more nodes with less time punishment.

In regards to you talking about the differences between passives and actives, then something simple that could be done is the time added by passives only counts against the first activation. After that you're no longer "charging up" to power the passives, so only have Active use nodes increase the cooldown.

Edited by Maicael

Perhaps one of these solutions would be of value?

1: Cooldown is reduced based on how many enemies you afflict with the active. I've rarely, if ever, seen someone use their whole Focus instead of just turning it on and immediately cancelling it to just gain its passives. If anything, I've seen it kept as an oh-sh*t button when overwhelmed since it makes you effectively invulnerable for 10 seconds, giving your frame time to recharge shields and your team time to kill the crowd around you. This cooldown reducing method would incentivize more offensive use of the abilities.

2: Cooldown meter is changed to a Charge meter. With the exception of Madurai and Unairu, all the schools utilize pulses. As is now, charge accumulates over time. However, using Focus will now deplete chunks of the charge with each pulse. They can be activated at any time, charge permitted. Cancelling the ability early will cease charge usage. Since Madurai and Unairu are continuous, they would charge and deplete continuously instead of in chunks. With this, passives will be activated in one of two ways:

1. Passives only activate when a full charge is used.
  2. Passives activate in fractional intervals based on the level charge used. (Example: Using only the first chunk would grant its proportional fraction of the passive. If you have 5 potential chunks, the first chunk would grant 1/5 of the passive's maximum power. The third chunk would unlock 3/5, and fifth the maximum output. Since cooldowns are static, having more charges shouldn't affect your ability to gain passive strength. The second chunk of ten amounts to the same time as the first of five. Technically speaking, more chunks would allow someone to gain their passives sooner, despite being a lesser degree. Continuous abilities could use the same function, but would be percentage based.)

Both of these could be used in conjunction, with the first to a lesser degree than if it were by itself.

Edit: Either of these will ease the hurt of the long cooldowns without changing the function of the actives or passives.

Edit: Perhaps gaining Focus points could also count towards the cooldown, so players can actively reduce their cooldowns. It would also incentivize using lenses on weapons and choosing loadouts more strategically, and give more purpose to the "yellow flowers".

Edited by -CM-Jaypalm
Tied it back to OP.

I agree that the bulk of what can get picked in every school is lackluster and since it's successive in many places it costs more. It doesn't help that it actually makes access to the powers take longer in some instances.

The cooldown needs to be tuned across the board and it needs to be changed from the succession tree setup that it's on now imo.

Ideally, if you were to look at 5 different players,  specced into the same school with the same number of points,  you should be able to see each with vastly different setups that would allow for each player to do take on altered themes from the same focus tree.

Right now focus is fairly homogenous. Everyone using naramon focus does the same things to varying degrees of effect with varying degrees of cooldown in place.

If we were to say each focus tree was a "path of learning" than there would be many paths to achieve the same degree/type of lesson, each with it's own rewards and drawbacks.

2 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

When I go do a T4S Solo run past 1:20, do you think I start the mission right away? Nope. I sit my &#! right down infront of the console. Walk away and go fuss about for a minute. By the time I return my focus power is charged and vor is usually in the middle of his monologue or just starting it.

Because going afk for 3 minutes to take a piss and check your voicemail is so invigorating am I right. Waiting to be able to use focus actives is asinine and everyone knows it. Everyone knew it back then, no one has changed their mind either. Needing to wait to use focus from the beginning of the mission was never really a thing meant to happen. It just kinda was and everyones reaction was either "Why?" or "Meh".

Another forum goer said it this way, I do not remember the name or the thread my apologies. But they said it so succinctly and eloquently I must quote as best I can with mild paraphrasing from memory.

"The beginning cooldown period is ridiculous.  All it means is that in LONG/ENDLESS missions where you actually need it you will have it, the only missions you won't have it are SHORT missions like exterminates and captures where you wouldn't need it in the first place. Overall a net loss in usability of the entire system with no perceivable benefit."

Then you proceed to kind of bite your tongue a bit with the second part. Why should anyone need to have a longer wait to activate secondary passive abilities that by your own prior words aren't supposed to be the focus (badumtish) of the system, to then have shorter cooldowns in between using the active primary part of it during the mission?

3 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

2 hours ago, Sixty5 said:

The issue I have is that the powers feel totally underwhelming for what they do. 

I use Zenurik personally, and the only times I pop it is at extraction or to enable the passives. Cutting my dps output is not worth the mediocre crowd control it provides. 

Focus powers don't feel good to use. My view of them is that they should be the real Ultimate abilities in the game, something that, when used just right, can completely turn a situation around in a way that no other ability can.

Dumping a perfect rocket barrage in Overwatch clears out points better than anything else in the game, it feels good to use, and you want to work around using it. Hitting Zenurik feels like a worse version of Bastille. Sure it can come in handy, but there is other stuff in the game that does the job better. 

I strongly agree with everything above. I've been arguing the same thing too in the feedback section on focus system as a whole and Unairu in particular, but what concerns me is that DE hasn't said a word about how they are aware of this issue or when they will address it if they will address it any time soon. ;<

3 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

• Make passives "always-on"
  • Make 2/3rds of every focus school always avaible to use as a power, but have the effectiveness of the power be based off of XP earned during mission

There, the main focus issues are fixed and the whole "Focus" part is brought back into play. We gain experience and we are able to focus that experience gain into an attack. An example;

Phoenix Gaze
Unleashes a 20 meter destructive beam that inflicts 10,000 damage per second for 10 / 12 / 15 / 20 seconds to any target in its path.

This sounds pretty cool, until you get to level 100 mobs, then that 10,000 damage is reduced by armor and enemies have >100k HP. So if if we make the damage scale off of experience pumped into it, make base damage = 50% affinity earned( or 10*focus affinity). So if you have 1k focus earned, you can do 10k/sec, but if you have 2k focused earned, then it does 20k/sec. 

Tactical Strike
Mind Spike grants allies 10% / 15% / 20% / 25% increased Critical Chance with melee weapons for 20 seconds

It could be made so that the duration equals 2% of affinity earned, so 1k affinity = 20 seconds, 2k = 40 seconds, 6k = 120 seconds. 

This also gives you the option of using the ability more often but at a lesser impact, or saving it all up for a few key moments and having the effect be more profound. 

9 hours ago, Sixty5 said:

Have you maxed umbra Lance?  That does some pretty serious damage.

2 hours ago, (PS4)I420t said:

Have you maxed umbra Lance?  That does some pretty serious damage.

7k DPS is pretty terrible when your primary weapon does upwards of 30k.

I could see it being useful maybe in a defense mission, but honestly at the point where you are gettig swarmed on the pod, it won't do enough to clear the area, and you'd want it up more than once every 3 minutes.

I never quite understood the idea behind this mechanism. I have, up to now make do with the 1-2 minutes before I can use the focus skill one way or another.

I really think the passive skills need to be on from the get go. But that would somewhat make the rest of the tree totally irrelevant.

The other way, without totally reworking most of the skills, is to significantly reduce the cooldown time and have the skill fully charged from the beginning.

Neither feels elegant though.

passives active instantly would be op or they would have to nerf some of the only useful passives to oblivion.

Problem is that each passive adds time - remove that.
Make yellow focus orbs lower cooldown by lets say 20-30s.
Grant user innate focus conversion regardless of gear - like 0.1% of total affinity gained (spread across all schools). Lens improve that for specific school. 

Readjust some actives that have too short duration or negligible effects.
Let certain tasks ingame lower the cooldown - wall-attack 1 hit kill -10s, ground finisher -5s, staying in air for 10s without touching anything -5s etc

Edited by Ketec

I just wish I could be a fly on the wall, and know what DEs plan for focus is.  and hear their thoughts on some of the ideas. 

Because except for the passives, I hardly use any other part of focus.  The amount of cooldown added, and the lack of benifit of the other abilities has made me not want to bother

Besides the uselessness of most of Focus, the biggest thing that annoys me is how we use the abilities. Yes, I am talking about the operator coming out.

It... does... not... make.. sense... (in a lore or gameplay sense).

I get that it is supposed to be the Operator unleashing their Void power, but it is going from an OP Warframe to a meh Focus ability. Then it just puts a pause button on whatever awesome stuff you are doing with my Warframe. I DON"T LIKE using Vazarin, it is not fun. DE designed these awesome Warframes and have to pause my play to groan. So... I think Focus abilities should emanate from your Warframe. So Vazarin's waves would come from your Rhino, Madurai's beam will come from Rhino's head etcetera. It would just be more fluid with the gameplay of Warframe.

Maybe some room could be left to have a "super Focus" power that takes you from your Warframe, but the effect of it needs to be greater than the power of your Warframe.