Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How large a disadvantage am I at without primed mods?

Irkie500

Question

As the title says. I haven't played in a long time and never got seriously invested into the grind, thus the lack of many things that have been added. The main question is can I still be competitive so to speak in the late game(sorties, trials, etc) without the use of primed mods?

Thanks!

They are nice, but with the right builds you can probably get through sortie without them just fine. Trials sometimes people can be more picky about who they allow in mission if they don't have fully maxed primed mods, but that is usually more for certain roles from what I understand. And you can survive without them, you can find groups that aren't going to kick you if you don't have primed mods. 

Don't worry about getting them all now, if you have been away a while. Just take your time getting them as they show up, they make you stronger, but if you can build well and know how to prepare for the missions right, you can live without them. 

5 minutes ago, Irkie500 said:

Light's out, Lucy

Not a large disadvantage, I'd say: my frames do well enough in Sorties before I got primed mods, and they take some investment before you can use them to their full potential. The extra stats are nice, but it's not a necessity.

Well...all the primed mods are better then the non primed versions but they aren't mandatory to enjoy the game. Wait out for a good price in trade chat and buy maxed out ones that help you the most.

Edited by RoninJed

You might have a harder time getting a spot in raids without a Primed Flow, since many raid mechanics (battery carrying, standing on buttons) drain your energy, but it only applies to PuG groups, really. Run with a clan and you can get by just fine.

The rest of primed mods are really nice to have (I love primed fury and reach) but nowhere near mandatory. Sure, Akstiletto Prime with Primed Target Cracker, Primed Pistol Gambit and Primed Heated Charge will outdamage anything without those mods, but the difference, while apparent, isn't game-breaking. 

Not even a bit, because actually you can just finish all the current game content with a few well modded frames/weapons regardless of any Prime Mods. If I had to choose two Prime Mod you should definetly own is : Prime Continuity and Prime Pressure Point, because they are mandotary OP mods for MANY Frames and melee weapons.

So long as you have the corrupted mode (at least for frames), I'd say you can get to 80-85% power level without primed mods. Which, given how powerful a max modded and 2-3 forma'd frame can be, is perfectly fine. As long as you have the skill for it, sorties should be a walk in the park, and with good teamwork raids are fine too.

Additional thought: Adding on to what Ominer above me said, primed continuity is by far the biggest game changer of the primed mods. P pressure point is nice, but the strong melee weapons (atterax, galatine p, etc) are already pretty powerful on their own, p pressure point is just about unnecessary overkill. If you only ever get one primed mod, P continuity is the one to get.

Edited by Xaranoth

For some reason I hate formaing my frames, so they remain horribly unoptimized. I do fine in sorties, though - what matters more than anything is having 1) a frame with a good ability set and a potato, 2) corrupted mods, and 3) a good weapon with a few forma in it. Anything beyond that is gravy.

In my opinion, they're just a little bonus.
If you're pushing an hour+ in endless mission types, you're probably not relying on pure weapon / frame damage to get by.

Except primed reach, that thing is a literal game changer.

Edited by RIOT

Listen, what you have to understand is that the primed mods give you a nice bonus. But that's all, a bonus. For certain weapons that might be a big deal but mostly you are going to do just fine with normal mods. You only start to notice when you get into the uber endurance stuff.