Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do you feel the game is still "mature"

DeadScream

Things that haven't changed:
Levels of violence. Slice a dude in half, blow a person up into little chunks, watch a corpse get charred by fire, see bodies pinned to walls by bolt-type weapons. Zombies, clones, robots, and "normal people" being on the receiving end of that violence.

Things that have advanced:
More fleshed out plot points - Tenno being essentially mutated kids who got to watch their entire families get potentially torn apart by some unknown force whilst traveling through the void. An entire race of clone workers raising up and (at times) brutally slaughtering their masters as they declare their own independence and then try to deal with their degenerative traits from massive cloning. A greed-driven race of corporate robot masters who might as well be religious extremists where money is their god, some of whom will go so far as to kidnap children and doom their families to death for added profit.

The variety of weapons and powers that allow killing things - saws and whips and hammers, finisher attacks, a mummy that *literally* eats people and turns them into a sand-minion.

The most childish things that could be attributed to this game are puns - which most would attribute as "Dad Jokes" and not all puns are childish, although some can be.

Variety of frames shouldn't be considered "childish." Regardless of the powers given too them, these are still bio-mechanical weapon systems essentially. Just because someone paints a rifle pink doesn't mean it's less dangerous. For the people complaining about dancing bard-frame - it's not the sound powers your complaining about, else you'd also hate banshee. So really, you just don't like the dancing, because you consider it immature - and that's fine if you don't like it. I do recall a time when some dances were actually frowned upon for being too risque, so I'd argue that not all dancing is 'kids stuff.' I would also note that nowhere do we see anything forcing dances at this point, it's simply the frame's idle animation. I'd rather have a more mobile and dynamic looking animation than her just standing there idly like a large portion of the older frames.

When it comes down to it though, it's all just personal opinion. There's people who watch Predator with their 4 year olds.

57 minutes ago, (PS4)EVILFLUFFMONSTER said:

I would say the game feels less serious. Enemy bosses sound like bad childrens cartoon villains. I cringe every time I accidentally click on sorties and hear some pantomime villain threaten me in an embarrassing way. Pets and some of the fashion frame items also detract from a grittier more serious feel (though I love my pets and fashion, just saying how it feels).

The gameplay is mature, and the new textures and lighting effects have gone a long way towards improving the ambience and feel of actual levels. The core game can still feel as epic and dark.

I prefer not having voiced operators, and the lotus herself gets too much air time. I muted Ordis as soon as I found I could.

Now I love me some silly robot humor in a game I feel it fits in, fallout, portal, borderlands etc. Never fit my preference for warframe.

All these detract from a more serious feeling "mature" warframe for me, but mostly its just the style of voice acting I dont like(sorry).

You worded my exact feelings, thanks

53 minutes ago, arch111 said:

Using music to kill, using silence and sound waves to kill, using seamonster-tentacles to kill, using a legstomp tonfreeze gravity to kill, use a wormhole to kill, summon the dead to kill, use mindcontrol to kill, use magic remotecontrolled arrows to kill ....

This game is filled with nonsensical and magical heroes that only get away with it because of the tone and setting.

This game is not for kids. We dismember humans on a regular basis by the thousands.

Be more afraid when EVERYONE buys the Bards idle and dances ALL OVER THE RELAYS.

Using music and dancing arround to kill monsters...

are miles differences to the skills the frames within "game lore reality" we have.

Take a breath....What you just said:

We could have a Goffy as frame 

We could have a princess cinderela as frame

We could have a Joker as frame throwing "Jack in the box".

We could have a Mermaid yelling all mankinds to wash the dishes already.

But you forget to hit the point.

Even all the fantasy elements within this game belong into the game lore reality within. 

Ofc we can not have a monkey riding on a lil bike frame. It does not fit. SAME FOR THE NARD it does not fit.

Every Ninja frame, skills, lore, ingame reality, fits somehow into it.

The NARD;  is just the Jack in the box.

It does not fit to nowhere. It is childish, dancing arround and creating music. It is a childish interaction to laugh, dance and do music while other creatures die or teammates fight virtuel for their life. Fighting with "music" is siick to believe 1 sec into it to be ever a source of power. THIS IS NONSENSE.

Childish; having or showing the annoying qualities (as silliness) associated with children _you almost spoiled the ceremony for everyone with your childish giggling_

Nard fits with his music to MOBAS where you can even make a delhpin into a tanky hero...but we are here in WF. Space Ninjas lore, ...no lets "dance ninja". Nope.

This Ninja Nard is a complete childish fail. Period. 

Some people are really take feeling adult in a power fantasy with cliche scifi way too seriously. Game where you grind the same boss dozens of times for a new thing to kill stuff for a new item to kill stuff.

It was never gritty, it just had a zero story world that players made up the gaps as to why we do anything. No lore will replace that. As for humor with mature edgyness even grim dark 40k has a whole race dedicated to humor. Infested? Spooky and dark levels? After racking up several million kills. No no, just after a few hundred kills, were they still really spooky? It just became a hassle to navigate dark levels. Nostalgia is a hell of a thing.

Its not like a bard frame is in anyway close to the levels of cupids arrow skin or candy cane sword or rabbit ears or mustaches full time.

EZCNRMU.gif

Gameplay should be first. Are the new powers engaging and fun? Because lore alone sure as hell wont keep the game afloat.

And people still complaining still about your operator being physically a young adult. A child. What have you. Oh, you're a kid, this is a kiddo game. Lose most credibility like immediately. Hey what just got released and has a child antagonist who was breed for chaos and haunting your character throughout the story and like no one has a problem with it?

vlcsnap-error075.jpg

So whats so bad with a child protagonist who has been trained for war and indiscriminate killing?

I can see the problem losing that faceless mute role which you got to fill as being specifically you. The Gordon Freeman effect. And how being given a set roll to play as instead of simply being inside armor loses that sense of no effort roll play. Yet instead of saying you don't enjoy playing as anything but 'yourself'. Its somehow a mature/seriousness problem of the game when its their own inability to identify with those characters who are different in these trivial ways such as age or sex seems to be the childish problem.

Edited by Firetempest

6 minutes ago, P0Pz said:

Using music and dancing arround to kill monsters...

are miles differences to the skills the frames within "game lore reality" we have.

Take a breath....What you just said:

We could have a Goffy as frame 

We could have a princess cinderela as frame

We could have a Joker as frame throwing "Jack in the box".

We could have a Mermaid yelling all mankinds to wash the dishes already.

But you forget to hit the point.

Even all the fantasy elements within this game belong into the game lore reality within. 

Ofc we can not have a monkey riding on a lil bike frame. It does not fit. SAME FOR THE NARD it does not fit.

Every Ninja frame, skills, lore, ingame reality, fits somehow into it.

The NARD;  is just the Jack in the box.

It does not fit to nowhere. It is childish, dancing arround and creating music. It is a childish interaction to laugh, dance and do music while other creatures die or teammates fight virtuel for their life. Fighting with "music" is siick to believe 1 sec into it to be ever a source of power. THIS IS NONSENSE.

Childish; having or showing the annoying qualities (as silliness) associated with children _you almost spoiled the ceremony for everyone with your childish giggling_

Nard fits with his music to MOBAS where you can even make a delhpin into a tanky hero...but we are here in WF. Space Ninjas lore, ...no lets "dance ninja". Nope.

This Ninja Nard is a complete childish fail. Period. 

If this game was grim dark melodramatic all of the time, that would in fact make it feel immature. 

For example, Mortal Kombat looks immature compared to something like Street fighter 2. SF2 isn't all grim dark, but it handles the subject matter in a mature way by showing variety. MK just looks like a cartoon with characters ripping spines out. It's the kind of thing that feels cool as a HS student, but cheesy an adult. Even Gears of War can be looked at as immature with its overuse of profanity and exaggeration blood baths.

Some people in this thread really need to calm down. Just seriously. Constantly calling the frame the Nard and just ranting and ranting. Really... man maybe it is time to cool down. 

It is just a game. Childish is taking one frame out of 32 in a fantasy game that seriously. Childish is writing long angry rants about how allegedly "childish" something you don't particularly care for is. 

I still have not seen what is childish about the Bard (a frame that we don't even have full knowledge of yet). I have seen nothing to convince me that singing or dancing are inherently childish. If you think so, you hold an opinion that most people in the world do not. Most people in the world like music and dancing even if they are adults, and don't consider it childish. 

Many frames have silly or zany themes. Let it go. Many frames, as far as some people are concerned, don't particularly "fit". But that's just their opinion and there are 31 other frames to choose from if you don't like that one. 

Edited by Tesseract7777

I will say i kinda agree with the op after he/she edited their question. Others have already made good points about how Warframe has lost a little bit of its serious tone over the years. When Limbo was revealed I thought (and still do think) he looks out of place and his whole concept (magician frame)seemed to silly for Warframe. But his abilities helped to make him fit in better. Then when we got a butterfly frame I thought maybe thats as silly as it going to get. Her butterfly abilities proved to be useful and kinda sorta fit with the rest of the game.  The bard frame might end up being too much and kinda redundant...banshee anyone? Plus her abilities being all...music doesn't really help her to fit in with the rest of the game either. So yeah I hope this is as silly as it gets for new classes in Warframe.

Oh and when glyphs were added I was like....huh....why?

Edited by RoninJed

10 minutes ago, Brachion said:

People seem to be mistaking "mature" for "serious." Something can be mature and deal with complex themes without taking itself too seriously.

Well, people always seem to correlate immaturity with silliness. As a big fan of Monty Python I can assure you this isnt always applicable, but its easy to see why people can think so.

This is why I used the term "serious" to describe my feelings on the game, because people were saying that a music frame wasnt "mature". I knew what they meant. 

With it being down to personal preference, from some viewpoints it could be seen as a sign of immaturity - as a preference for brightly coloured, musical objects is renowned for being a trait of young children.

From another viewpoint, accepting things lightheartedly and not taking it too seriously can also be a sign of maturity.

Others are simply debating wether things fit within the game thematically as it were, and maturity doesnt come into it.

When I heard of a bard, I tjought of making enemies dance "to your tune" wreak havoc with sound waves and use it to calm, frighten or entice. 

All that does not soubd out of place to me.

I still DO have a problem with Hydroid and Inaros.

Let's see more of the bard before writing it off.

Let's be real here, if you make a game too serious people will become gloomy. If you make less-serious content it lift up the mood a little,maybe it gives a good laugh. If warframe was only about dark armors, obscure blades all the way we will be all grinch people, the bugs will make u rage and not say "eh". It's important for people who play long session to have moment that breaks the too serious monotony. With this i don't say warframe can't be serious, but in needs a little of "color" to make a metaphor. Did you laugh when you see a fabolous pink rhino with mirage stance? that's possible because dev made it possible.

Even if u make a frame that dance that doesn't mean it's teen oriented, take titania for example, people complained it was to fairy, now u can see the blood gush out bathing all the frame because it small dismembering them and cut them to pieces. If that's not mature then games like GTA will be played by 13 years old (and it happens).

1 hour ago, arch111 said:

When I heard of a bard, I tjought of making enemies dance "to your tune" wreak havoc with sound waves and use it to calm, frighten or entice. 

All that does not soubd out of place to me.

I still DO have a problem with Hydroid and Inaros.

Let's see more of the bard before writing it off.

Like the Alteration School in Elder Scrolls?

16 hours ago, DeadScream said:

edit : Let me rephrase the question. To people who played the game since the start, don't you feel like the game is getting less "mature" with time ? (but I pretty much got answers already, thanks for reassuring me)

edit 2 : renamed the topic. In fact, I know that all the bloody things make the game rated "mature". What I'm talking about is more about how mature you feel it when you are playing

Define "mature".

I'm playing a game about killing hektons of enemies and having fun with it. None of that was ever close to being "mature".

The game is less "serious" now, yes, but never ever have it been "mature".

6 hours ago, (PS4)EVILFLUFFMONSTER said:

Others are simply debating wether things fit within the game thematically as it were, and maturity doesnt come into it.

On this point specifically, I would very much argue that the Bard fits into the game thematically. As someone else put it in another thread, bards/musicians have had huge prominence in history. Many ancient warriors saw it honorable to be a poet/musician (AKA bard), and would themselves be one or would respect those that were. One point in specific that I saw mentioned was army drummers.

Music is very prominent in other harder, more "serious" professions too. In Japan, police have to learn flute, for instance.

Another good reason for the Bard potentially fitting is just... well, just Orokin and Tenno culture. They're very, VERY artistic cultures (just look at how ornate their weapons and structures are), so the fact that we haven't seen anything related to music yet is more surprising.

I think some people are confusing creativity with immaturity. 

Plus silly things have been in the game for ages, fireworks, noggles, the Nukor, candy cane scythes, Grate prime, and others. Truthfully a revamped old school RPG class and child soldiers seem far more mature then anything I listed.

19 hours ago, DeadScream said:

Title. 

Years ago I would've agreed, there was more gore and blood, the ambiance was dark... 

But now, aren't there more and more toon and goofy features, including bosses and powers ? 

Reveal hidden contents

+ we play as children who control the warframes, and who are far from being adult...

And now we get a disco frame, and she dances... I mean, why ? 

edit : Let me rephrase the question. To people who played the game since the start, don't you feel like the game is getting less "mature" with time ? (but I pretty much got answers already, thanks for reassuring me)

edit 2 : renamed the topic. In fact, I know that all the bloody things make the game rated "mature". What I'm talking about is more about how mature you feel it when you are playing

1. Tenno aren't children. They've been alive for many, many, many years. Edit: I guess you can argue they're still children due to being preserved. However, seeing as they have the ability to literally explode people with their minds while also controlling literal weapons of mass destruction, I wouldn't point at them and say Warframe is "immature".

2. The game is steeped in brutality, both in graphical gore and in lore. Read up on how Zanuka is created, or why the Grineer look the way they do. That's not PG. That's not Teen.

3. What "goofy" boss? Each and every boss we've fought so far have been either demented or deadly in their desires to kill and/or capture the Tenno. The only one I can think of that could be considered "goofy" is Vay Hek, who uses dictatorship and indoctrination to further his own goals. He sacrifices his own people to save himself, and threatens a pretty horrific death for the Lotus if he ever captures her. Not what I'd call childish.

4. Other than healing, every Tenno power is focused on absolute destruction of our enemies. Tell me a "goofy" looking power and I'll happily explain why it's not childish. As for the new warframe's abilities, we don't know exactly what they will do just yet. However, the "goofiest" thing I can think of is making enemies dance. If that's the case, then what's childish about that? You're literally taking over a living being's mind - forcing them to do what they don't want to do in the middle of a battle between life and death. You can stand there aiming a shotgun at their face, and all they can do is look on in terror as they dance while you put a hole through their skulls. Not childish. Not immature.

Edited by SoulEchelon

2 hours ago, SoulEchelon said:

1. Tenno aren't children. They've been alive for many, many, many years. Edit: I guess you can argue they're still children due to being preserved. However, seeing as they have the ability to literally explode people with their minds while also controlling literal weapons of mass destruction, I wouldn't point at them and say Warframe is "immature".

Okay. Is not the Question eighter...

2. The game is steeped in brutality, both in graphical gore and in lore. Read up on how Zanuka is created, or why the Grineer look the way they do. That's not PG. That's not Teen.

That is the lore. Which always trys to explain stuff realistic based to gamelore and game invoirment + our realistic.

3. What "goofy" boss? Each and every boss we've fought so far have been either demented or deadly in their desires to kill and/or capture the Tenno. The only one I can think of that could be considered "goofy" is Vay Hek, who uses dictatorship and indoctrination to further his own goals. He sacrifices his own people to save himself, and threatens a pretty horrific death for the Lotus if he ever captures her. Not what I'd call childish.

True that.

4. Other than healing, every Tenno power is focused on absolute destruction of our enemies. Tell me a "goofy" looking power and I'll happily explain why it's not childish.

Well...titanias "butterflys" hit hard the limits but thanks lord they made them more kind of "drones".

As for the new warframe's abilities, we don't know exactly what they will do just yet. However, the "goofiest" thing I can think of is making enemies dance. If that's the case, then what's childish about that? You're literally taking over a living being's mind - forcing them to do what they don't want to do in the middle of a battle between life and death. You can stand there aiming a shotgun at their face, and all they can do is look on in terror as they dance while you put a hole through their skulls. Not childish. Not immature.

Nope. You create music while yoooou are dancing and laughing arround. This is Childish; having or showing the annoying qualities (as silliness) associated with children _you almost spoiled the ceremony for everyone with your childish giggling_

A DJ Nard frame like they showed us... is a joke. A baaaad siiick joke. It is childish to even think music is in anyway a powersource. What is next..bring in a Santa Frame killing monsters by throwing packets

Someone said "Nards ~ wardrumms".

The point is..wardrums are there to motivate your team. They do not atack the enemie bodys by any..aaaaany possible way. Never. They might "create fear or demotivate" but NEVER kill a monster.

Military drums or war drums are all kinds of drums and membranophones that have been used for martial music, including military communications, to rally troops, and to demoralize the enemy as well as drill, honors music and military ceremonies.

A DJ Nard is kinda straight copy from LoL. Total free Fantasy. Everything there can be created even a trashcan DD.

We are space Ninjas.. not space monkeys ...not any sort of a kindergarten game...or lets "Dance Ninja"... just as youuuu said above in your other points. We do not have or support InGame, any sort of childish things during gameplay/killing.

If it was a skin/costume i would have no prob at all but dancing and killing monsters with music..cooomon...and then dance arround the monsters..holy molly ..where is my GD pony !

Nard is directly childish acting to blood and gore arround the gameplay and other frames durring the fight which DOES NOWHERE FIT IN. Nowhere. The "Look" of this NARD is also childish. Fail Nard. Period.

Edited by P0Pz

21 hours ago, DeadScream said:

~Snoop~

It has turned into an average anime.

1. Heroic teens - V
2. Mega dumb and mega ancient villain - V
3. Ruins of a mega advanced and mega corrupt empire - V
4. A milf mentor - V
5. Magic - V
6. Power of friendship -V

Edited by Teloch