Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Banshee's name

3 hours ago, (Xbox One)RAVENsLEGION said:

Why did DE decide to name Banshee?

Ha, yes.  I have asked that question many times myself.  Her abilities have nothing to do with the lore or myth of an actual banshee.  It is quite the pet peeve with me.  I comment on that pretty much anytime I see a thread regarding her abilities or a rework of her kit or just in general.

The real kick in the pants was this.

Literally showing an actual D&D version of a Banshee as a teaser for Banshee Prime.

If you have been around tabletop or videogame rpg, you should probably had seen that the Banshe mythos evolved in games from death warning creatures to creatures that cause people to die with their wails, in essence killing with sound, which makes for a perfect analogy for our Warframe.

1 hour ago, SenorClipClop said:

Hydroid is a combination of "hydro" (water) and "android", but Warframes clearly aren't androids! Grrrr...

Probably has more to do with this; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroid_(zoology)

3 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I am almost half Irish heritage and I am incredibly proud of my Irish heritage. I have close friends with Irish heritage who have visited Ireland at length. And I can assure you the Irish would not waste their time getting livid over the name Banshee being used to describe a sound related video game character. This is just such ludicrous outrage over literally nothing at all. 

Having a lot of Irish heritage I know what a Banshee is quite well, and I don't see how Valkyr fits the legend at ALL -- Valkyr shrieks because she was tortured, Banshee's shrieked or "keened" to warn of impending death that wasn't even directly at the Banshee's hands. The legend of the Banshee fits the one in Warframe just fine. 

This is just... so absurd. I don't even. 

Also... I suppose a Sonic Boom isn't a loud enough "shriek" for you OP? Faith and Begorrah... 

Actually Valkyr does fit her name, she is a female warrior.

And the Valkyries were female warriors whom guided the honoured dead to Valhalla, her abilities are based on the Viking beserker who would tell and work themselves into a rage like trance and were hard to kill in such state.

8 minutes ago, Xekrin said:

Ha, yes.  I have asked that question many times myself.  Her abilities have nothing to do with the lore or myth of an actual banshee.  It is quite the pet peeve with me.  I comment on that pretty much anytime I see a thread regarding her abilities or a rework of her kit or just in general.

The real kick in the pants was this.

Literally showing an actual D&D version of a Banshee as a teaser for Banshee Prime.

Well I guess some people are just now catching on I suppose...

But like all our Warframes right down to their classes and armor are based on D&D thus why Oberon being a Paladin confuses them because he is a D&D Paladin not a modern MMO Paladin which is just a glorified tank.

1 minute ago, SilvaDreams said:

Actually Valkyr does fit her name, she is a female warrior.

And the Valkyries were female warriors whom guided the honoured dead to Valhalla, her abilities are based on the Viking beserker who would tell and work themselves into a rage like trance and were hard to kill in such state.

I believe the discussion went as follows:

4 hours ago, (Xbox One)RAVENsLEGION said:

If any Warframe should be called Banshee, it should be Valkyr because she actually screams when she uses abilities. Either their names should be swapped ...(snip)

3 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

(snip)

Having a lot of Irish heritage I know what a Banshee is quite well, and I don't see how Valkyr fits the legend at ALL -- Valkyr shrieks because she was tortured, Banshee's shrieked or "keened" to warn of impending death that wasn't even directly at the Banshee's hands. The legend of the Banshee fits the one in Warframe just fine.

Banshee has no literal connection to the mythological figure. It's just a model name.

Sort of like how the Sanyo Katana isn't actually a sword. Usually these model names are chosen because the model shares one or more distinguishing features with its namesake. In the case of the Sanyo Katana, the creators wanted  the light, thin, sleek, and efficient design of the famous samurai sword to be equated to the phone's functionality. 

It's not hard to see how a comparison could be drawn between the Banshee Warframe model and the mythological figure, even if it's a loose connection, like the Sanyo Katana.

Wait. You are looking for logic and reasoning on a game which has super deadly space ninjas which are controlled by children, and can almost fly but cannot swim without the use of a flying space machine? Man, you're in the wrong game, and you mistook this forum for tumblr. 

1 minute ago, NSAlovesMe said:

Wait. You are looking for logic and reasoning on a game which has super deadly space ninjas which are controlled by children, and can almost fly but cannot swim without the use of a flying space machine? Man, you're in the wrong game, and you mistook this forum for tumblr. 

Why would anyone go to Tumblr for logic? That is the antithesis of logic.

2 hours ago, SilvaDreams said:

Why would anyone go to Tumblr for logic? That is the antithesis of logic.

Exactly my point. He was also talking about how people should be offended and blah blah blah. Sounds like a Tumblr post to me. 

I think it would be best if from now on. We only name them literally. 

Atlas- Bigpuncher

Ash- Bugfaceninja

Banshee- Loudquietgirl

Chroma- Knightdragonwearer

Ember- Firechickenhead

Excalibur- Skintightjumpsuitmanwiththemastersword

Equinox- 2girls1warframe

Frost- Lifesizedknickknackmaker

Hydroid- Youuuuuuarrrrrrapirate

Inaros- Adustymummy

Ivara- Frogbinhood

Limbo- Butlermagicianthatdoesbirthdaypartiesfor$5.99anhour

Loki- Trollframe

Mag- Patchedexploitframe

Mesa- Playssoftball

Mirage- Simulorclown

Nekros- Farmvillethewarframe

Nezha- Thailadyboy

Nidus- Excaliberthatwasleftinthebackofthefridgeandforgotten

Nova- Antimatterbadonk

Nyx- Realitytvstarthatsalwaysstartingsomebs

Oberon- Lonelygoatman

Rhino- Beetlesmash!

Saryn- PrettySTDmachine

Titania- Mothragirl

Trinity- Mandatory

Valkyr- Mr.pusspuss

Vauban- Creepygentlemanwhoholdshisballsinpublic

Volt- Bugzapper

Wukong- Crappychinesewarframe

Zephyr- Flappybirdthatcantevenfly

There you go, this is the new line up for names.

Edited by Danjal777

9 hours ago, (Xbox One)RAVENsLEGION said:

Why did DE decide to name Banshee? In Irish legend: a banshee is a female spirit whose wailing warns of an impending death in a house. Wailing - not shockwaves from her hands. I feel that Valkyr and Banshee are both named incorrectly. Banshee SHOULD be named Quake, Soundwave , Shockwave, or something like that. If any Warframe should be called Banshee, it should be Valkyr because she actually screams when she uses abilities. Either their names should be swapped or Banshee needs to actually yell, shriek, scream, or something that requires use of her voice and her animations need to be changed so that it looks like her powers are coming from her face, not her hands. I thought this would be fixed with the release of Banshee Prime, but obviously DE did NO research before they named this Warframe. Irish people should be livid. This is blatant negligence or total ignorance to their history.

If I remember, a banshee is a female ghost who scare there victim by screaming before attacking.

quarter-Irish heritage here, and when I think of Banshee, I think of the X-man with ginger hair, who was VERY Irish, and wore a bright green and yellow costume, using sound powers to defeat Magneto. sadly in the comics he is killed when he prevents a jumbo jet crashing into the ground, killing himself but saving hundreds of lives in the process.

anyway, she's called Banshee because a Banshee is a terrifying creature that uses Sound/sonic energy as a weapon. all the frames have to have some kind of name that reflects their lethality, but also complements the type of power they use (see the four base elemental frames). unless you happen to know an alternative, Banshee is the only word that does both.

7 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

This made me LOL. And also reminded me of the time on a devstream when Scott said that if he had his way he would have named Inaros "Sandman". 

EEEEXIT LIGHT!

EEEENTER NIIIGHT!

TAAAAAKE MY HAAAND!

OFF TO NEVER NEVERLAND!

sorry, couldn't resist.