The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbra warframes [Discussion & Appreciation][*spoilers*]

2 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Well the timeline is a bit odd. The early frames prior to Umbra cant be his kin, because Ballas doesnt sell out the Orokin until after Margulis is dead and the tenno are "part of" the Warframes. So when the early Warframes are created the person that becomes Umbra has not yet uncovered any secrets that Ballas has with Hunhow since Ballas hasnt sold out the Orokin yet. 

That whole sequence of Umbra laying in the bed with Ballas happens because he uncovered Ballas plot and communications with Hunhow, that's why he's punished for it and basically being turned into Umbra Excalibur.

Ballas explains that to him through that Transferrance Bolt.  So the timeline has to be after Margulis death and likely when Ballas is likely preparing for Natah to be placed with the Tenno.

Because they destroyed Umbra together. He had to be removed from the situation for that part of the plan to being.

Ballas has by now a very good understanding on how to create warframes. Umbras actions at the end are Ballas commands through the Transferrance Bolt. 

It might not be the "newer" warframes but simply a new strain developed by Ballas to either administer the punishment to Umbra and create The Stalker/Acolytes.I don't think they are older "failures" but newer frames doing exactly what they were designed to do.

Because ultimately: The Stalker and Acolytes are still a creation of Ballas. And due to there unique nature , they are something completely different from anything developed before.

They could all ultimately be under his control, or the control of other Tenno he's secretly hiding that Ballas high jacked for his own schemes. I believe he's behind them either directly or by manipulating Tenno "Devils" to do his bidding, his Devils. 

The Stalker joining Hunhow could be by design, just another part of Ballas plan, maybe even his "insurance" 

I mean would you put it past him to maybe turn Umbras children into your own personal Warframes? That's salt on the wound to an already horrible punishment.

Which is why I don't rule out The Stalker and the Acolytes being Umbras children or others of his bloodline. Ballas said what he was going to do.

Edited by (XBOX)Cram Duahcim

7 minutes ago, (XBOX)Cram Duahcim said:

That whole sequence of Umbra laying in the bed with Ballas happens because he uncovered Ballas plot and communications with Hunhow, that's why he's punished for it and basically being turned into Umbra Excalibur.

Ballas explains that to him through that Transferrance Bolt.  So the timeline has to be after Margulis death and likely when Ballas is likely preparing for Natah to be placed with the Tenno.

Because they destroyed Umbra together. He had to be removed from the situation for that part of the plan to being.

Ballas has by now a very good understanding on how to create warframes. Umbras actions at the end are Ballas commands through the Transferrance Bolt. 

It might not be the "newer" warframes but simply a new strain developed by Ballas to either administer the punishment to Umbra and create The Stalker/Acolytes.I don't think they are older "failures" but newer frames doing exactly what they were designed to do.

Because ultimately: The Stalker and Acolytes are still a creation of Ballas. And due to there unique nature , they are something completely different from anything developed before.

They could all ultimately be under his control, or the control of other Tenno he's secretly hiding that Ballas high jacked for his own schemes. I believe he's behind them either directly or by manipulating Tenno "Devils" to do his bidding, his Devils. 

The Stalker joining Hunhow could be by design, just another part of Ballas plan, maybe even his "insurance" 

I mean would you put it past him to maybe turn Umbras children into your own personal Warframes? That's salt on the wound to an already horrible punishment.

Which is why I don't rule out The Stalker and the Acolytes being Umbras children or others of his bloodline. Ballas said what he was going to do.

The reason I think Stalker and the acolytes are really old frames is their uniqueness. Feels like they are some of the earlier prototypes due to their mish-mash composition of abilities and so on. And another thing that makes me think they are non-operated is because Stalker gets infused with sentient tech, something we know doesnt do too well with the void.

One thing that I dont really find reason behind is Stalker joining Hunhow. However, it could be that Stalker is fanatically loyal to the Orokin and any decision they (Ballas) make must have a reason, even if that includes being in league with the sentients. I just hope we get more info about all of it with The New War.

And since we dont know exactly when Stalker + friends were created, it isnt impossible that it might be kin to Umbra. I mean as you say, it would definently be salt on the wounds, especially if Ballas manages to make them loyal to him. Not only would it be a punishment in itself, they'd also turn out to something better than their father who was a failure.

22 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

The reason I think Stalker and the acolytes are really old frames is their uniqueness. Feels like they are some of the earlier prototypes due to their mish-mash composition of abilities and so on. And another thing that makes me think they are non-operated is because Stalker gets infused with sentient tech, something we know doesnt do too well with the void.

Well they've figured out how to change that weakness to the void. That was Alad Vs purpose with his Amalgam program, which sounds like it was a success. And in the Alad V/Corpus portion of The New War gameplay reveal....the Corpus you fight are Amalgams. 

Plus you have the Orb Mothers on Fortuna. They are also some form of Amalgam technology. 

Which is likely why The Sentients appear to be harvesting people, to create there own Amalgam Army.

So even with Stalker getting his Sentient upgrades long before that point you can find a way lorewise to make that upgrade work. 

22 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

One thing that I dont really find reason behind is Stalker joining Hunhow. However, it could be that Stalker is fanatically loyal to the Orokin and any decision they (Ballas) make must have a reason, even if that includes being in league with the sentients. I just hope we get more info about all of it with The New War.

I think Ballas is behind it and who's ultimately behind The Stalker and Acolytes. And I think the reason why they are distinctly different is more what Ballas wanted for his Warframes. It's just another part of his plan.

It makes sense to me that he would have his own warframes. Maybe even have them rigged to decieve the Operators of them, so when they interacted with these warframes they'd come under his direct control, or even placed in a transferrence loop. Something that gave him direct control.

And the helmets they have, it screams "Devil" to me. So it could possibly be a form of insult where the "Tenno Devils" are literally behind "Devil Warframes" 

There abilities can be explained to being modified with the Helminth system. Ballas could theoretically have mastered it, allowing him to craft a warframe with its own abilities. It's his process so he'd be able alter warframes this way.

I think we'll get some of these answers in The New War. And I think Umbra as a character will have his own part to play.

I think it's an interesting way to tie it all together. Maybe we finally defeat The Stalker and find these answers.

But I don't think DE would want to create other Umbra warframes when we can basically create our own. 

What they could do is just make it a Helminth option for Primed Warframes where you can upgrade Primes to an "Umbra varient"

Edited by (XBOX)Cram Duahcim

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this will Be NEW WAR discussion and possibilities , this thread is a spoiler tagged and mod tagged as spoilers already but for safety i will use a spoiler when discussing 

thanks for your understanding 

Spoiler

Greetings to those who have done the New War! congrats and hopefully you enjoyed it also

with the prospect of new wars changes/additions we now are faced with an ever expansive additions to warframe in a variety of ways that can go beyond or out of normal scope of the games prior lore/system  

The current change we are given is the addition of a "multiverse" of sorts addition to game lore, in that all variations, times, alterations can exist, this is more likely the lead into the "Plaines of Duviri" our next major quest after new war 

with the multiverse concept in mind this also brings as a new possibility for UMBRA WARFRAMES (see devstreams 58,125,152 if you dont know what im talking about) 

prior the team had said a non lore obtainment for the new umbra frames was the most likely method , given the multiverse scenario we now have its probable we could go or obtain them via alternative universes that used different frames from excalibur or maybe a universe were they were mass produced , the possibility is endless in methodology 

im very excited to see this turn of events and hope it proceeds to provide new additions to the game 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Absolutely loved the Sacrifice quest. The exploring of Excalibur Umbra’s back story and all. 

I know we have Prime Frames… but could we possibly see more Umbra Frames and Umbra Mods? 

also if we’re diving into Umbra lore in the meanwhile why not see more about the research Ballas did on creating the frames… perhaps it’s possible that new frames could be made or created… Umbra Frames

Just an idea… so we could see some of these Prime mods get Umbra versions. Maybe even more Umbra Mods

Or even umbra bonuses for playing in a squad with other Umbra frames. Encouraging more squad based gameplay. 

The game is already flexible in regards to solo and co-op play. So the Umbra Squad bonuses are optional (perhaps they apply to using Umbra Specters, so that solo players can if they want build a umbra spectre that contributes to those bonuses)

Just an idea… almost like avengers assemble Lol. But story and lore behind the first original frames… the Umbra frames

• Like 2

2 hours ago, isbergen said:

When Umbra came out, DE said there would be more Umbra frames, but it never happened.

So, let's be clear;

When Umbra came out, DE did say there would be more Umbral style frames. The specific statement was 'Every frame has a Prime, but not all frames will have an Umbra', and it was made clear that they want to do more.

They also explicitly said that when they do a new Umbral style frame it will not be soon, it will be something explored with as much attention and quality as the original Umbra, they want to make them special. Mostly because, as we know from the Quest, there is a genuine reason why Umbra itself is special compared to a regular Excalibur.

And most importantly, when they do something like this it will be after the content that they want to deliver, because they were talking about the rest of the Quests, finishing off The New War (which hadn't been named at the time) and so on.

So it's not that it 'never happened' because it's planned to not happen yet. They said as much at the time, and we should not have expected it to happen in these intervening years, because the things they'd said would be before it have only just happened.

Keep up a little hope, though, because there's two things to consider now that the New War is done:

1. Duviri Paradox will play more with our new character interactions, and will definitely play more with the idea of Eternalism, meaning that alternate situations could be brought into the main timeline... such as a new Umbral style of frame... Maybe something like an Ember Cinis, or a Trinity Noxa.

2. We may get a lead-in quest that results in the set-up for Duviri the same way that The Sacrifice leads in to New War, which explores one of those situations which resulted in an Umbral style frame in the same way.

And the best thing about either of those situations? They could happen by the end of the year ^^ They could be the next proper announcement at TennoLive this year.

So...

Yeah, more are coming. The 'when' has simply not been decided yet.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Birdframe_Prime said:

When Umbra came out, DE did say there would be more Umbral style frames. The specific statement was 'Every frame has a Prime, but not all frames will have an Umbra', and it was made clear that they want to do more.

This basically what I said only using a lot more words. :)

And as I said above, Harrow Umbra backstory wrote itself. They would not have had to do anything, the backstory was there already. What a missed opportunity, but that's par for the course with DE.

1 hour ago, isbergen said:

And as I said above, Harrow Umbra backstory wrote itself. They would not have had to do anything, the backstory was there already. What a missed opportunity, but that's par for the course with DE.

You talk about this like there can't be a prime and an umbra variant of the same Warframe

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shocker53 said:

You talk about this like there can't be a prime and an umbra variant of the same Warframe

I didn't mean it to come across that way. Just saying that I would have liked to see an Umbra Harrow more than Prime. At this point Umbra feels more special than Prime because there's only one of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, isbergen said:

This basically what I said only using a lot more words.

Phrasing's important, my friend. It's not so much what you said, but the way you said it.

The whole 'but it never happened' is a phrase that comes across to others as bitter, or derogatory, or even just that you believe it will never happen.

People will get on your case if you don't think a little more about how you're saying things. Especially here, a Forum full of people who will argue the Lore of this game into the ground for some fundamentally ridiculous mis-understandings in the phrasing of the Lore.

I would be ok with it if they made it to where when you added a umbra forma to a frame it gave it the specter mechanic and added an option to turn the mechanic on and off as some people don't like it and unlocked a new umbra skin for the frame.

I think excal umbra was a way they could give non founders a prime.

I care more about new umbra mods, stretch, streamline and redirection would be at the top of my most wanted list. I would keep the set bonus topped out at 3 so you can mix and match with the old 3 frame mods.

On a side note why did they make a sacrifical pressure when there's prime pressure point? They could have made a variant of organ shatter.

• Like 1