Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Plains really getting a realtime day-night cycle?

lysinelai

I heard on the devstream that the plains is going to have a realtime day-night cycle (or maybe they didn't say, I'm not so sure). Does that mean the real 24-hour cycle or the 8-hour cycle like Earth has? 24-hour cycle is really painful for players who play mostly at certain time of the day.

Realtime as in you will see the sun rise, pass overhead and set then later rise again while you are still playing, unlike current Earth missions where a mission is day or it is night and it will switch inbetween missions.  I doubt it'll be a 24hour cycle but I don't think it has been stated what the timing will be.

It will be a smooth transition over time, but not in real time. A day won't take 24 real-life hours!

Last I checked they haven't fully settled on exactly how quick it should be, but by now maybe they have and I just missed it (or they haven't said anything).

I wonder if they'll make regular Earth missions smooth instead of binary day/night on 4-hour timers.

15 minutes ago, AgentSkye said:

It will be a smooth transition over time, but not in real time. A day won't take 24 real-life hours!

Last I checked they haven't fully settled on exactly how quick it should be, but by now maybe they have and I just missed it (or they haven't said anything).

I wonder if they'll make regular Earth missions smooth instead of binary day/night on 4-hour timers.

That's one of the questions lol.  Would be interesting if it were different on different planets.  Have some planets that going out at certain times have effects like cold/fire missions.

honestly? personally id set the length at 30-60 minutes per cycle, with 1-2 hours for a full day. longer than that and it'd be potentially be painful, shorter than that and it'd be too fast.

if it is 4 hours per cycle, with 8 for a full day. then you'd likely have players hiding somewhere like in one of those caves for the duration of the night  to get the achievement, the non-endurance runners wouldn't be used to staying in a mission that long, and i doubt that the majority of the players out there have honestly spent more than 1, maybe 2 hours in a single missions, much less go that long  regularly, since its more time efficient to go to rot c and restart

10 hours ago, Xenox_Ilz-ot said:

1.5 hours for full day? Dude, Earth has a 4 hours cicle.

and 4 hours for casual players can be bit much

and if u payed some attention during stream before reb time hacked it seems that day is about 30 minutes because it was day when she entered and when she went into the mine it was getting bit darker so 30 minutes for half a day isn't impossible

4 hours ago, Hemmo67 said:

and 4 hours for casual players can be bit much

and if u payed some attention during stream before reb time hacked it seems that day is about 30 minutes because it was day when she entered and when she went into the mine it was getting bit darker so 30 minutes for half a day isn't impossible

That's was a part of the quest she did, the game forced the night to come so it could get along with the quest.

Don't you think the timing was a bit too perfect when the night came right when she finished her objective?

Steve stated in the original PoE release trailer at TennoCon that the Day/Night cycle would be 4 hours. He stated that again on the Dev Stream #98 last night.

That could mean 4 hours day and 4 hours night (which I am assuming is what is meant), or could possibly mean 2 hours day and 2 hours night for 4 hours total.

I personally think they should have went with an odd number: 3.8 hours day and 3.8 hours night, so that the cycle always changes for when it is in the real world. This would give players that have limited times to play a chance to play in different settings. With a 7.6 hour total shift, the timing would shift 1 hour every 22.8 hours. (3.83333333333etc would be the perfect number for 1 hour in 23 for the number crunchers, lol)

55 minutes ago, Ryim_Drykeon said:

Steve stated in the original PoE release trailer at TennoCon that the Day/Night cycle would be 4 hours. He stated that again on the Dev Stream #98 last night.

That could mean 4 hours day and 4 hours night (which I am assuming is what is meant), or could possibly mean 2 hours day and 2 hours night for 4 hours total.

I personally think they should have went with an odd number: 3.8 hours day and 3.8 hours night, so that the cycle always changes for when it is in the real world. This would give players that have limited times to play a chance to play in different settings. With a 7.6 hour total shift, the timing would shift 1 hour every 22.8 hours. (3.83333333333etc would be the perfect number for 1 hour in 23 for the number crunchers, lol)

that's actually a pretty good after thought for the long cycles... Neat.

But as much as that's great, i think a 2 hour night cycle would be pretty devilish if you're not used to endurance run. Hek, my personal longest endurance run was just barely above 72 minutes (old t4 void runs)

18 hours ago, lysinelai said:

I heard on the devstream that the plains is going to have a realtime day-night cycle (or maybe they didn't say, I'm not so sure). Does that mean the real 24-hour cycle or the 8-hour cycle like Earth has? 24-hour cycle is really painful for players who play mostly at certain time of the day.

in the demo, it was around 20 minutes.

16 hours ago, (PS4)geomancer1980 said:

That's one of the questions lol.  Would be interesting if it were different on different planets.  Have some planets that going out at certain times have effects like cold/fire missions.

It would be funny yes. On the old "unterraformed Venus is 116 day a day cycle. A full cycle would be 243 day so if you play long enough you can play on day time and night time on Venus :D

6 hours ago, Ryim_Drykeon said:

yeah I think this is what happened to the Kuva Fortress. In Update 19.6.0 they tweaked the cycle of Kuva Fortress to make players get different Kuva missions as they progress through the gameplay.

This is what they said:

In an effort to address the issue of people not noticing the movement of The Kuva Fortress, we have made the loop completion time odd rather than a 24 hour cycle. Players who were logging in around the same daily time found that the Kuva Fortress would always be roughly in the same position, and was restricting the variety of Kuva Siphon missions available.

How long a cycle is is only part of the equation.  The other part is whether or not the cycles are divisible or indivisible into 24.  If the cycles are divisible into 24 hours, then at even numbers of cycles per real-day means that every day at the same time will have a set in-game time.  

With 4 hour cycles for example: 

IG-00:00 = RL-00:00.  

IG-12:00 = RL-04:00

IG-00:00 = RL-08:00

IG-12:00 = RL-12:00

IG-00:00 = RL-16:00

IG-12:00 = RL-20:00

IG-00:00 = RL-00:00

A player logging in at 4pm will always log into Earth at noon in game time.  People that can only regularly log in between 8pm and 9pm might be stuck with having to maneuver around the Eidolon every single game session.  They could make the timing indivisible by 24 (or set it to 8 hours per cycle) but then there will be a series of days where the casual must play during the night time in game, and a stretch of days where the casual might play only during day time in game.

Ultimately, either the Eidolon isn't going to be much of an overbearing presence during night play that players can continue to treat it like day time if they want to, or DE might have to take a step back and take a page from single player open world RPGs ala Skyrim, Fallout, Witcher, MGSV:TPP, etc. for PoE where the player has greater control over the time of day via a "wait/rest" function.  When there are differences in in-game night and day content, inevitably cycle timing is going to screw over someone, and the only two solutions to mitigate that are to make mediocre some aspects of time sensitive content, or give players control over when they encounter said content.

On 9/16/2017 at 3:48 PM, lysinelai said:

yeah I think this is what happened to the Kuva Fortress. In Update 19.6.0 they tweaked the cycle of Kuva Fortress to make players get different Kuva missions as they progress through the gameplay.

This is what they said:

In an effort to address the issue of people not noticing the movement of The Kuva Fortress, we have made the loop completion time odd rather than a 24 hour cycle. Players who were logging in around the same daily time found that the Kuva Fortress would always be roughly in the same position, and was restricting the variety of Kuva Siphon missions available.

More like they fixed its movement so that it didn't just loop around Eris.  I watched it for most of one day and all it did was loop around Eris.  They claimed it was because it was on a 24 hour loop, but no one on Xbox One saw it anywhere but looping around Eris for days.