Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Update 22.20.0] Virtual Cursor Feedback MEGATHREAD - Share Videos Where Possible!

aidan890

I'm on PS4 the PC controls are awful, I'm inept that's why I don't play on PC, please give us the option to have the UI like it was before this update. a LOT of console players will be thankful.

Meanwhile I'll be playing Dark Souls remastered, Monster Hunter World, Bloodborne, Nier automata, Nioh All these games I haven't played because warframe was just all around better and more fun (to me).

24 minutes ago, (PS4)Cynicaid said:

Focused. Okay, remove it. It requires 2-4 times as many actions to get even the simplest things done now. This is not okay.

You know, that is very interesting. I am going to hazard a guess and say that if you put out a poll and asked all the Console users if they would rather switch back to the previous UI controls and have longer cert cycles as a consequence, OR keep the current garbage UI and have shorter cert cycles, they would choose the former.

Just a guess.

Also, I would be less irate if you would have just given people the option to DISABLE the changes it in settings! You could have said something like, 'Tenno, we are considering releasing a brand new UI that we would like you to try and give us valuable feedback. But never fear! If you do not like the new UI and you feel that it is hindering your gaming experience, you can easily switch back to the original UI by disabling the Virtual Cursor in the settings.' I mean, how difficult would that have been to implement? You went though all this trouble to create this (terrible) new UI in the first place, adding a toggle shouldn't have been too much of a hassle.

I don't know... hope everything gets right, they take a INCREDIBLE risk, and... they fail?, maybe, but... as i said before, don't know... give it time, if, as i read before, all this means that the console players are we gonna' receive the updates at the same time that in PC, bring it on, and, don't get me wrong, i was very upset by the update, but... well... it's slow and... clunky?, it is, but... we don't really know what they have prepared for us, i mean... playing in this game it's... you know... FREE!!!!!!, they make us pay for cosmetics and slots for warframes & weapons, i know... again, you know, this game it's... FREE!!!!, so... let's be more understanding with them, I'm sure they knew about the BRUTAL risk that they ran when launching this update...

Okey... ?

17 minutes ago, (PS4)SurrToAnime said:

You know i am happy steve sinclair finally twitted something,took them long enough but now i am even more horrified,he actually openly stated that they screwed up but its not done yet...that means we are not getting old UI back,they ll just update the broken one...we dont want something in the middle,we want THE NEW ONE OFF and as it seems they ll keep this new S#&$ty one 

At least we're getting some confirmation this was a mistake. Previous tweets from other developers made it seem like they really didn't care that it is being heralded as a failure by the community. 

It's still horrifyingly bad, but it's at least a step in the right direction. Which in the end is better than what we've gotten until this point from DE.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)MaximumVegetto said:

I don't know... hope everything gets right, they take a INCREDIBLE risk, and... they fail?, maybe, but... as i said before, don't know... give it time, if, as i read before, all this means that the console players are we gonna' receive the updates at the same time that in PC, bring it on, and, don't get me wrong, i was very upset by the update, but... well... it's slow and... clunky?, it is, but... we don't really know what they have prepared for us, i mean... playing in this game it's... you know... FREE!!!!!!, they make us pay for cosmetics and slots for warframes & weapons, i know... again, you know, this game it's... FREE!!!!, so... let's be more understanding with them, I'm sure they knew about the BRUTAL risk that they ran when launching this update...

Okey... ?

If they knew about this ‘brutal risk’ and knew of the uproar it would bring, then they would have gone another way to release it.

So no, I don’t believe they were aware of this which is why we are posting constructive criticism and feedback. 

They made the update, and for the majority, it wasn’t great. Sure they didn’t expect it, but offering feedback is the best way to go about fixing it.

17 minutes ago, (PS4)MaximumVegetto said:

Okey... ?

This may be free to download and play, but I've actively chosen over the years to support this game with money by getting those optional prime packs and platinum, because at the time it was actually worth supporting. Now I can't play because the user interface is incredibly difficult to use. They deserve the criticism they are getting from paying and non-paying customers alike.

What we're giving them now is going to save the devs (if and when they take it to heart) and those of us in the community a lot of heartache and frustration in the future. Writing this all off just because this game is free to download, and they claim to have a grand and glorious plan in the works, is really disengenuous and won't help the game grow positively as development continues.

4 minutes ago, ClockworkDirge said:

This may be free to download and play, but I've actively chosen over the years to support this game with money by getting those optional prime packs and platinum, because at the time it was actually worth supporting. Now I can't play because the user interface is incredibly difficult to use. They deserve the criticism they are getting from paying and non-paying customers alike.

What we're giving them now is going to save the devs (if and when they take it to heart) and those of us in the community a lot of heartache and frustration in the future. Writing this all off just because this game is free to download, and they claim to have a grand and glorious plan in the works, is really disengenuous and won't help the game grow positively as development continues.

Let us not forget that they ASKED for this criticism. This thread would not even exist if they hadn't.

Death 2 Cursors!

computer-mousetrap-1000x670.jpg

It has slowed everything down and thinking about how much time out of our lives will be WASTED just trying to navigate windows is insane and infuriating. 

Get rid of the cursor and we can go from there...

Right now the most broken part of the game for me is looking at/selecting relics to use in void fissures.   I have to click confirm 3-5 times to actually pick a relic,  and mousing over different relics does not update the description window so I hope you have memorized what relics have what

Edited by (PS4)AbBaNdOn_IGN

I never post on these fourms but I think this change is so bad that I need to make a comment on it...Omg please change it back, its such a pain navigating around the menus and when I'm trying to customize my warfame I need to pick a syandana and then equip it then I have to move my cursor onto the warframe and then I'm able to turn it and If i don't like it I want to change it, I need to go back into the menu and scroll down to a different one. Before it was simply just a tapping or holding down on the D-Pad which would both go over the syandans I want and scrolls down or up at the same time...just change it back please!

1 hour ago, (PS4)jaegerbombtastic said:

If they knew about this ‘brutal risk’ and knew of the uproar it would bring, then they would have gone another way to release it.

So no, I don’t believe they were aware of this which is why we are posting constructive criticism and feedback. 

They made the update, and for the majority, it wasn’t great. Sure they didn’t expect it, but offering feedback is the best way to go about fixing it.

I have no problem with them trying it. If they have an idea and go for it - knowing full well it might fail - that's okay. It's okay right up until they didn't have a plan B. Projects can and should fail as you try things out, and I don't want DE to be too conservative just because ideas might not work out.

However, when you do a thing and then that thing fails to work, you stop doing that thing. In this case, the feedback is largely "the very idea of this was wrong." DE is facing the conceptual failure of the change, meaning they need to go back to the starting point, and think of a new idea. Revert the code. Disable the virtual cursor. Reset things. But DE apparently burned their ships on the shoreline, and now they're stuck in a "the only way out is through" situation. 

It's utterly mystifying. I can't believe they didn't leave themselves a way back to status quo. And unfortunately I can't think of any focused, constructive feedback that fixes the conceptual mistake. 

Edited by Ham_Grenabe

16 minutes ago, Ham_Grenabe said:

I have no problem with them trying it. If they have an idea and go for it - knowing full well it might fail - that's okay. It's okay right up until they didn't have a plan B. Projects can and should fail as you try things out, and I don't want DE to be too conservative just because ideas might not work out.

However, when you do a thing and then that thing fails to work, you stop doing that thing. In this case, the feedback is largely "the very idea of this was wrong." DE is facing the conceptual failure of the change, meaning they need to go back to the starting point, and think of a new idea. Revert the code. Disable the virtual cursor. Reset things. But DE apparently burned their ships on the shoreline, and now they're stuck in a "the only way out is through" situation. 

It's utterly mystifying. I can't believe they didn't leave themselves a way back to status quo. And unfortunately I can't think of any focused, constructive feedback that fixes the conceptual mistake. 

I can’t talk for them, or about rolling back since I don’t know code. Maybe there’s a reason they actually can’t, I don’t know.

I’m still confused as ever as to why there wasn’t a toggle, but I still find myself rounding back to that question and repeating myself.

I’m pretty tame when it comes to updates. I think I complained about something once.. I think that was the unvaulted relics on POE only? But got used to it. This however, is the first time an update has upset me greatly.

Sure they can try it, it’s only going to continue with eventually what will be the huge new interface, but I’m hoping DE can find a good medium for all of us. The extra movement for the cursor actually causes a lot of pain in my hand, which wasn’t an issue I’ve had before the update. I do trust DE will fix it though, just gotta hope and wait.

4 hours ago, ChivalricDeath said:

Wha?........... Honestly? Your insane. They've made ONE mistake, in the months that you've played this game. I've been playing this game since closed beta 5 YEARS AGO, do you know how many blunders and bad updates there have been?

.....Or, you tell them what you don't like, they fix it and then life goes on.

Edit: Just 4 minutes ago Steve posted on twitter in regards to the update, he know that people are REALLY upset, give criticism of the update and not the company please 

https://twitter.com/sj_sinclair/status/1004359182039085057

PC People have been complaining this for weeks and not a single peep have been heard of them to address these issues. And in stream Steve said that there is no turning back that we are stack with this thing. I started WF in 2015. And yes there are many many updates etc that I haven't liked and agreed but this is the first time that I have dragged myself here and complained about it. And why? Because this literally broke the basic functions of this game.  And yesterday in the stream they just said that we have to get used to it. Why I would have to get used to broken controls? Doesn't make any sense at all. 

Now after Steve's tweet I have little faith that they might actually do something to mix this god awful mess. But still cant wrap my head around that how this kind of change got to be released in the first place. I guess the testing people have not played on consoles before?

Since the cursor is now across platform.

Can the following be added or toggle.

Snap to grid movement with dpad.  Since controller people on PC can use this too and the controller is now across platform right?

Drag and drop be replaced with something that doesn't include dragging? Click item to move and click to drop.  Dragging seems weird on console.

Just my thoughts at the moment.

Thanks for the game.

PS4 player here with 853 hours into the game. and after the latest update I feel compelled to make my first ever post on the forums cos what we have now is a total deal breaker for me. 

There's enough long winded, detailed posts about this so I'll keep mine short and to the point: give us the option to choose between the new cursor based UI and the previous one. just do a quick hotfix. whatever changes you wish to make to the cursor system to streamline it can be done afterwards.

that is all, thanks

EDIT: messed around with the UI some more, and... sad to say, but I'm done with Warframe for the time being. yes, it's really, REALLY that bad. at least I'll now have time to play all the other games I've neglected over the past year or so

Edited by (PS4)gershwonder

PS4 player here, small Clan, daily player. This cursor is not an improvement indeed, and makes modding and recoloring a massive chore. I can't imagine how having to drag mods into slots with a thumbstick is any improvement at all over selecting a mod, then a slot.

While coloring your Warframe, you used to be able to handle the menu's with the left stick, and rotate your frame with the right. This is no longer possible. The buttons we previously had in the Arsenal are gone. I'm fine with that tab selection, but we can't use the left stick to navigate to one of those options. We are forced to use the d-pad. Just one of many UX issues with the new UI.

The Menu worked fine as it was, I'd be in favour of having it entirely optional, or rolling it back if that's impossible to timely implement. There's a reason RTS games normally rework their entire UI for console releases: cursors work well with a mouse, but not with thumbsticks or d-pads. The way the old menu worked (tab selection) is the preferred method for consoles.

My Clan's thoughts can be summed up as follows:

"Let's play those endless missions a bit more, so we spend less time fiddling with the butchered UI tonight."

The whole new UI is frustrating. You can't leave a squad as you used to (D-pad up and press Triangle). Now you have to move the painfully slow cursor to your name and manually select "Leave Squad."

In the Market, you can't view related items or linked items like before by pressing R3. Again you'll have to move the cursor to the description of an item and click on the collection link. That's not an improvement, that's inconvenient and unnecessary.

You can't use R3 to rotate your frame unless you move the cursor (again) to the said frame in order to rotate right and left.

In the Plains of Eidolon, bringing up the map results in two cursors in two different spot on the screen, making it hard --if not impossible, to place a waypoint.

Also, in the PS4 menu, when you press an option and press D-pad down, it goes straight the option before the last instead of starting from the top.

And I'm sure i'm forgetting other problems that only arose after the latest update.

4 hours ago, (PS4)DiegoValhalla said:

It's interesting to see how many folks are posting for the first time here, myself included.

I too really do not like the new UI.  It was just so perfect and FAST on console.  I don't know if there was a part of the fanbase hoping to change it up but IMO the new set up just slows everything down.

There must be a way to integrate the old UI into this new one?  Please PLEASE fix this DE.  I appreciate all your efforts to keep making Warframe so good, but this recent change has really started to sour the experience for me.  I dare say that if this was the UI when I first started playing, I don't think I would have stuck around.

I've said this in a couple of topics about the new UI....the number of people who are long time players that are making forum accounts for the first time just to comment about how the new UI is a major problem for them should really be worrying DE. People who could have for any number of reasons in the past made an account about some change that bothered them didn't, they lived through nerfs and changes and dealt with them and kept playing. But this UI change is what has driven those silent folks to decide to take the time to make the account and post....and that fact alone is what should really be worrying DE.

Like soooo many have said, the new Cursor feature is - in my opinion - a complete FAIL.
It works for the Star Map because there a cursor is necessary for 360 degrees movement and random location clicking between the planets and maps.

But for the MENUS, which are 100% Linearly Aligned, it is just complete nonsense.  Everything is either purely vertical or purely horizontally aligned.

AT LEAST Keep The QUICK KEY commands = e.g. Press "X" to Equip, Press R2 for Abilities, etc etc etc !!!!
That way, at least you CAN use the Quick Key (X, square, circle, triangle) if you want to and prefer it.

As someone wrote, I use a Controller on a Console because I am not interested in using a Mouse !!
Maybe leave this new cursor as an option for PC players?  They seem like the only crowd who will enjoy the mouse cursor change.  😛

It now takes me 5-10 times LONGER to carefully place the cursor over the tiny word or symbol I want to activate.
SUPER ANNOYING

++++++++++   ONE GOOD SWEEPING "Make Everyone Happy" SOLUTION....  ++++++++++   
In OPTIONS, just like you let us choose the "Experimental" Archwing setting or go back to Classic Archwing in the OPTIONS.....
------> PLEASE ADD the ability to select "Classic / Legacy Menu Navigation" !!!
At least for Consoles.

The OLD WAY was SOOOOO MUCH FASTER !!!
p.s. r.e. Controller Longevity, having to CONSTANTLY hold down the cursor to "grab" things and move them around is going to place a LOT of unnecessary wear and tear on that X key.

After loosing a hour of time and two prime pieces lol,I finally started to get a bit use to the new UI.Need to add mouse smoothing and acceleration. Right now it feels a little bit slugglish.Almost like I am moving a stick around in viscous fliud. Please be aware I am not complaining or putting down your hard work.Just being honest so you can understand how it feels for me. I see the dedication the team has to this game,and myself and many others appreciate it.You guys are one of the best Development teams out there! I love the new Saryn,and cant wait for the next frame,and TENNOCON!

I did post this in another thread a few hours back but this is probably the best place for it

Looking at what they are planning with the future UI change the cursor makes sense to a degree and at current it does come in handy a bit, however with how it's currently implemented it's more of a liability than helpful. It would've been a smarter move to keep the old system and with a click of the sensor button/menus button(Xbone)/Keyboard button(kb/M) or if not possible via options to enable/disable cursor mode at will. 

As for cursor mode

Moving the cursor over a relic should show what it contains, same goes for Dojo rooms and showing the room layout.

Sometimes the controls will become unresponsive resulting in a need to press a button multiple times or to move the cursor slightly to get it to work. Same goes for the D-pad it can either not respond or jump an option - lol I personally lost a Riven to this.

Keyboard and Mouse

Scrolling on mouse will either jump you to the end/start or some random place inbetween of a selection.

No button mapping let alone free button mapping. Like seriously I plugged in my m/kb went into settings and nothing, not even something to tell me the default layout never mind trying to setup to use mouse and control (rather than keyboard) to play. 

Additionally

An option to quick post emojis with R3/L3 rather than having to click then open the chat bot would be helpful.

A selection or cursors to chose from would've been fun.

Can't remove armor pieces after latest hotfix, can change to different ones, but can't remove them...

Also still can't rotate our frames with the right stick if the cursor is on the left, which is a pain when building our frame or weapon appearance...*edit* just noticed rotation with right trigger...

Bringing our button shortcuts back was a step in the right direction though...

Edited by (XB1)F34RTH15P41N

Simple QOL fix for navigation.

Focus cursor on mission pane when R1 and L1 are used.

Why? because now the use of a joystick causes zoom on solar system instead of expected mission list selection.

Zoom out “O” can be used to back out along with clicking on solar system area.