Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(XB1/PS4) Virtual Cursor Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

On 2018-06-05 at 10:39 AM, wasp609 said:

while i like the changes to the ui color i find the changes to how the ui function to be more annoying than anything.  such as syandana previewing, i cant spin my warframe to properly see how its looks, i cant quickly go into say upgrade and appearance i have to use the cursor to physically go to them.  and the mod page changes ar just annoying the old system was better because i could just quickly choose the spot where a mod goes instead of dragging and dropping.  can we either have the old system back or an option to swap back to it.  and everything is just slower in general.

I have to agree with what wasp609 said, the new cursor was not a good idea for console period it takes much longer to mod, also to select gear & what equipment you wanna take on a mission as well as if you want to change your warframe, please change it back to how it was.

• Like 1

It's unfortunate that we got this update before the new UI and before it was really ready. There are a lot of bugs in it that tells me it wasn't tested enough. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't our of neglect or malice, but that they simply ended up having to push a bad position.

There is a version of this that integrates mouse, keyboard and controller well. Frankly, there are areas of the game where I would dread not having a cursor and I fully appreciate the ability to switch back and forth.

So the fundamental problem isn't that the cursor exists, but that the d-pad navigation doesn't do what I expect.

To fix it they need to restore the concept of keyboard focus. List boxes and grids are going to have both concepts, and the cursor corresponds much more closely with keyboard than mouse. The original console UI used a keyboard focus concept, but where you could move from control to control. This is also a little cumbersome because it means that you can't put things before or after the grid in the direction that it scrolled. I think that's how we ended up in horizontal scrolling hell. Also the grid can't be very wide in the non-scrolling direction because that dramatically increases the time to go from selection to action.

The cursor-focused UI removed the burden of scroll orientation and allowed things to be place anywhere. Scrolling is now a completely separate control akin to an actual scroll wheel. The more I think about it, the more I can see where they were trying to go with it. It doesn't well. That's not to say it can't, it just doesn't yet.

I really want to see more UI previews to see where they're going with this. I understand that they're waiting for Tennocon for the big reveal, but some early sneak peaks at the new UI may help alleviate some fears.

The option to rename configurations has been removed as of the last hotfix.  When you attempt to remove a mod it now removes all mods why?  Also when I'm at the relic station it used be when a particular relic was highlighted the pael  on right would display all of the relic information.  Now you have to double click to display the information.  Also when playing endless relic matches it is the samething.  Tnis reduces the amount of time we have to select a particular relic unless you've memorized the relic info or you already know what relic you wish to select

I bet if these things that need a hotfix were to be giving out free plat. They would be real quick to fix them. Sadly 48 pages in and no hotfix or solution. Hope you fix this before it gets too late and players like myself spend money elsewhere. 

I was for the most part happy with warframe, minus the grind for khora which i was almost going to quit till i got the last part, but this update has started to kill the last remaining love i had in the game. A love that i was trying get back after above said grind. 

Might take longer to warm back up to warframe again. Also sidenote i hope the melee update didnt nerf a weapon that i feel in love with seeing others use. The weapon is the 300day reward Zenistar. If thats so then this might be the perfect storm that makes me regret paying for some of my plat, prestige packs, and the digital tennocon pack.

In light of the EA disaster and Bungie as well i was glad you guys and gals at DE were for the most part above all of that. Please DE dont have it end this way. Not to mention this happens shortly after i hyped the game to my friends and family, now have to backpedal on that hype. Word of mouth is the best form of free advertisement, the longer this takes the more bad advertisement is out there. Which means a negative revenue.

If this update were to be a mod it would be so far Primed Disappointment

Edited by (XB1)gentxskynet

Looking at the UI below, I noticed something. They've run out of buttons for shortcuts.

• A: Select
  • B: Exit
  • X: Select Stack
  • Y: Sort
  • LT: Chat
  • RT: Tooltip View
  • LB/RB: Change Category
  • LS: Search
  • RS: Only Sellable (Screen Specific)
  • Option: Main Menu

They don't actually have a shortcut for Sell. That said, Only RS is actually available for screen-specific shortcuts as everything else is taken generically.

So if they need more than one shortcut, they're kind of SOL and you have to move to directional navigation. So the more items they put in the grid in the non-scrolling direction (here: horizontal) the longer it's going to take to move to controls without shortcuts (here: sell items). In these cases cursor movement might be better than 2-7 d-pad presses (or potentially more for different screens).

It looks like they're trying to find a way to increase control/content density, but the keyboard-only nature of the console is proving difficult. I can see why a cursor-specific implementation feels appealing. They have their work cut out for them.

21 hours ago, (PS4)WraythOsu said:

Ladies and Gents,

This is why DE is one of if not, THE best in the biz right now.

24 hours after releasing a patch, they have hotfixed and addressed the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Shortcut buttons missing from UI in the arsenal menu and elsewhere:  FIXED

Having to click/drag mods:  FIXED  (you click the mod once and drag to where you want it and click again.)

Having to double click on relics: FIXED

I'm sure there are other things as well, but those are the big ones I've already noticed.

I don't normally take the time to post out here (it takes away from actually playing the game), but this kind of work has to have positive re-enforcement.

Last night was very frustrating with the new UI, best line was a friend who has sworn to never play any Bungie game ever again, said "Destiny is starting to look good right now." Extremely funny coming from him. But it was very frustrating.

DE Devs:  You are amazing, I can not believe you folks fixed all of this so quickly.  I can't thank you enough. I've been playing these games for over 20 years and haven't seen anyone do what you do as consistently and as well as you.  Get some rest tonight, cause I'm guessing you didn't get much last night.

Cheers!

PS..  Zoom feature on the system map is awesome.

Are you living in a dream land? What warframe are you playing? The one we have is still ruined by a mouse and adding a few shortcuts doesnt fix:

customizing with colors

using the D pad to move

talking jn chat and ending conversations

not being forced to scroll down lists you automatically had full view of before.

clicking on everything to see it

Missing what you wanna click on a menu cos of skipping cursor

an anoying cursor

terrible lightening 

stupid loading music

wake up lol?

#returnoldui

• Like 2

This game is very quickly dying for me and others, the equivalent of having a great boss and worklife with happy co-workers, now changed to a sad and lamenting morgue where the dude in chargd is a complete out of touch tool, ruining everything for everyone else.

Just want you to know - the guys who made the update - I have 5 fingers and one of them is for you.

Could not be mote furious, especially after bringing 3 friends to this great game a few weeks before this fiasco.

Two Trump thumbs up.

Edited by (PS4)MANNERLESS
Spelling

15 hours ago, (PS4)eric13021 said:

Toggle off switch for cursor. So If you didn't want to use cursor.  We could have the old interface or the opinion to select what areas the cursor is active. Like for example turn off cursor function in the foundry, Arsenal, Modding, or gear selection. This way everyone's happy. You could cross platform this idea probably aswell.

Would like to add toggle idea for relics aswell. Having a few areas to toggle off if we can't go back wouldn't be a bad way to go.

There was a hot fix if you missed it and yes it has made it a bit better but still more needs to be done. So if you are a realistic person you will wait till DE has done all they can then if it’s still no good..... Give DE some constructive criticism not 😤🤯😡🤬

1 minute ago, (PS4)BURALEH said:

There was a hot fix if you missed it and yes it has made it a bit better but still more needs to be done. So if you are a realistic person you will wait till DE has done all they can then if it’s still no good..... Give DE some constructive criticism not 😤🤯😡🤬

The hot fix did improve some areas but it also broke plenty of others that were working-ish previously. This UI still needs a lot of work to get anywhere close to what we had previously and with the Sacrifice and Tennocon only a few weeks away the timing couldn't be worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Try referring to the recent post DE made about their upcoming changes to the virtual cursor then, and providing feedback there...

Changes to the cursor won't change the fact that the cursor is the problem. And I think this should go both ways. If people on PC are playing with controllers, they should have the option to have the console UI when playing.

If DE is so hell bent on keeping the cursor then at lease have a "snap to menu" feature built in to the cursor. This would reduce the time it takes for us to SLOWLY scroll across the screen.

• Like 1

Besides this system obviously being designed for a mouse which we don't use, it slows down everything outside of mission gameplay. Not only that but for a lot of things I need to repeatedly mash my X button to get anything to happen (sometimes I can't even switch between configs and arcane absolutely refuse to equip). I love this game but I need to give this UI change a 0/10. It improves nothing and only serves to cause problems when doing just about anything outside maybe the chat. Even then seems it doesn't want to work after the 1st time you click anything.

I went into the Arsenal and tried to equip two different arcanes on one of the warframes. Pressing the equip button did nothing. Then, thinking the way keyboard and mouse people would think, I double-pressed the equip button and lo and behold, the arcanes got equipped. Double-pressing the equip button? Really? Double-clicking a mouse? Repeat after me: a controller is not a mouse.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, (XB1)psyops6 said:

If you know how to make a poll on this forum, please do so. If not please respond according to the OP.

Like i said if you want to make a poll use strawpoll and like others have said there is already a megathread to the UI

46 minutes ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

The hot fix did improve some areas but it also broke plenty of others that were working-ish previously. This UI still needs a lot of work to get anywhere close to what we had previously and with the Sacrifice and Tennocon only a few weeks away the timing couldn't be worse.

Yes True but there’s never a good time for change so sooner better then later. And DE have said already “there’s no going back” so the soon we all give constructive feedback the quicker we all can enjoy our game. Please understand I’m not a fan of changes but I’m a keep it moving kind of person. 

1 hour ago, (XB1)Nittymaster said:

The option to rename configurations has been removed as of the last hotfix.  When you attempt to remove a mod it now removes all mods why?  Also when I'm at the relic station it used be when a particular relic was highlighted the pael  on right would display all of the relic information.  Now you have to double click to display the information.  Also when playing endless relic matches it is the samething.  Tnis reduces the amount of time we have to select a particular relic unless you've memorized the relic info or you already know what relic you wish to select

As much as I don't like it if I concentrate really hard I can sort of see why DE might want to move towards a cursor based UI, but for the life of me I can't fathom what they were thinking when they decided to require you to click on each relic to view it. 

It's absolutely inexplicable. 

45 minutes ago, (XB1)Kebiru25 said:

Changes to the cursor won't change the fact that the cursor is the problem. And I think this should go both ways. If people on PC are playing with controllers, they should have the option to have the console UI when playing.

If DE is so hell bent on keeping the cursor then at lease have a "snap to menu" feature built in to the cursor. This would reduce the time it takes for us to SLOWLY scroll across the screen.

... The changes to controls is so they can unify the control schemes between platforms, which have always used the same UI by the way, and if you had bothered to read the dev workshops you would see they planned from the begining of the UI update that there will be UI snapping with seamless transition to cursor if wanted. The speed of the cursor is also changing soon if you would look at their thread for the changes coming to virtual cursor on Console, which will be ported to PC later.

5 minutes ago, (PS4)NachoZissou said:

As much as I don't like it if I concentrate really hard I can sort of see why DE might want to move towards a cursor based UI, but for the life of me I can't fathom what they were thinking when they decided to require you to click on each relic to view it. 

It's absolutely inexplicable. 

AGREED and foundry /arsenal is the same just ruins gameplay - ease of use.It is a tech issue created by developers trying to merge platforms when the ps/xb  are totally removed from how pc work. why do you think there are so many different platforms. I get it it takes longer for releases and it would be nice to release across all platforms but they are of different functionality so either just one platform or except that it was a MISTAKE and review the whole update. 

1 hour ago, (XB1)Nittymaster said:

U can rename configs. Its in a little box at bottom right.

okay, lots of fixes are coming and its gotten better in a lot of ways, muscle memory is going away so i'm having a better time using the new UI. So in the next hotfix/update, after selecting appearance on your warframe to change colors, could you make it so the right joystick controls the warframe so you can veiw/rotate the warframe so we can view the warframe as moving the right joystck at this moment scrolls the palettes up and down which is not necessary.that way the left joystick controls the cursor and the right joystick controls the rotation of the warframe. Thx for all the hard work!!!!

Also could you make it so that when the cursor hovers over something, like cosmetics or relics, that it shows the change on the warframe when doing appearances, or seeing the rewards in relic/arcane selection as sometimes (or in appearances, all the time) selecting them just confirms their selection when we/I was just wanting to see the details of said item/cosmetic. Thx again.

Edited by (PS4)TheRUINingRUINer
add-on