Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Good Secondary in place of a Primary?

Shiroi-Tsuki

Question

I've gotten to the point where I have a decent number of Primary and Melee weapons that I enjoy using and are powerful enough to handle most of the content in the game, but I still have yet to find a Secondary I really like. In particular, I'd kind of like a Secondary that I could use in place of a Primary when I'm leveling something in the Primary slot, be it something I Forma'd or MR fodder.

Currently, I'm using the Aksomati for this purpose, since I thought that they'd basically be a mini-version of the Soma, but not only have I since learned that the Akstiletto Prime are apparently superior, but I've also seen for myself that they tend to be very ammo inefficient; even when using controlled bursts and the Carrier sentinel, I tend to run uncomfortably low on ammo in longer missions.

So, is there a Secondary that does decent enough damage and is ammo efficient enough to be used in place of a Primary? If not necessary for all content, then at least for doing stuff like Syndicate dailies or farming affinity on Sedna? To further narrow things down, I'm only MR 10 currently, so I'm not sure if that restricts what I might have access to, especially where Prime stuff is concerned.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice you might have!

24 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

the Staticor is always a beast

Very much this.

Atomos is another fun one, Twin Kohmak is great with a Riven that brings you up to 100% Status,
Hystrix (also Zakti) is neat not least if you're using a Condition Overload Melee,
a well-Riven'd single (!) Magnus is now quite a contender (bleh Akmagnus after the rebalance),
I really like Secura Dual Cestra now that it's lost its spool-up,
Twin Rogga (can reach 100% Status with 4x Dual Stats and) is definitely on the ammo-efficient side,
Azima is ~solid enough but dunno how far you are towards getting that.

Most of the secondary can be used at sortie level with proper formas, so really it's a matter of finding which ones you like.

Here is my shortlist:

• Akstiletto Prime used to be my go-to weapon, but it can have ammo issues (Lephantis sortie was a nightmare). Reliable weapon, but I'm not really sure it's a clear improvement over Aksomati. They are similar, except Akstiletto doesn't have any spool-up.
  • Atomos is a great beam weapon. It's great to clear low-level crowd. Mine work up to sortie 1, but falls off hard on sortie 2/3, and have ammo efficiency issues in long missions.
  • Lex Prime is my go-to high damage weapon. It doesn't have ammo efficiency issues and work on boss, but it's not great for crowds
  • Embolist is a good beam weapon, though keep in mind it's not meta. I'm partial to this weapon. It's a mini-Ignis, with short range (that it's main issue), but it doesn't fall off as hard as Atomos for high-level.

You really need at least 2 weapons : a crowd-clearing with bad ammo efficiency for most short missions, and a weapon with good ammo efficiency / high damage for boss and long missions.

I have to admit, I completely fell in love with the Euphonia Prime.  With it, I can destroy Grineer gunships in the Plains, and laugh evilly.

That or the Pandero are my usual go-to for secondary weapon that can easily hold its own.

I use Lex Prime, if that fits the description, or basically something you would pull out whenever
leveling primary weapon or when primary weapon start to fail.

Aklex Prime is kind of overkill, since it shoots faster than what contributes to "effective fire rate"

though the benefit of Aklex Prime is you can do a mag-dump of 16 rounds to whatever target
that would stand up to that by standing close enough.

Lex Prime with Lethal Torrent is enough if you are taking aimed shots instead
of mag-dumping into enemies.

Thanks for the suggestion so far, all. You've given me some idea as to which weapons I should have a look at, or a second look at, in some cases.

1 hour ago, Furadow said:

You really need at least 2 weapons : a crowd-clearing with bad ammo efficiency for most short missions, and a weapon with good ammo efficiency / high damage for boss and long missions.

That is a good point. I also have different Primaries and Melee weapons for different situations; I suppose it would be the same with Secondaries.

• Akstiletto Prime used to be my go-to weapon, but it can have ammo issues (Lephantis sortie was a nightmare). Reliable weapon, but I'm not really sure it's a clear improvement over Aksomati. They are similar, except Akstiletto doesn't have any spool-up.

It's actually kind of a relief to hear that Akstiletto Prime doesn't really solve my main issue with the Aksomati (ammo issues). Makes me feel slightly less bad about investing in the Aksomati, instead of saving up for Akstiletto Prime instead.

• Lex Prime is my go-to high damage weapon. It doesn't have ammo efficiency issues and work on boss, but it's not great for crowds

This does look and sound like a very solid Secondary. Fairly easy to acquire, too; all the parts are Common drops in their respective Relics. I may even have one or two already rattling around in my inventory. Also sounds like a good weapon to use in conjunction with a shorter ranged Primary, which is something I've also been looking for.

• Atomos is a great beam weapon. It's great to clear low-level crowd. Mine work up to sortie 1, but falls off hard on sortie 2/3, and have ammo efficiency issues in long missions.

I've seen the Atomos mentioned here and there before, but on top of the ammo issues, it just...well, it's one of the ugliest weapons in the game, in my personal opinion. I realize that aesthetics sometimes need to take a backseat to gameplay, but in the case of the Atomos, no matter how good of a weapon it might be, there's no getting around the fact that it looks like our frames just jammed a hunk of machinery on their arms, when using it. Still, something to keep in mind, I guess....

17 minutes ago, rhoenix said:

I have to admit, I completely fell in love with the Euphonia Prime.  With it, I can destroy Grineer gunships in the Plains, and laugh evilly.

That or the Pandero are my usual go-to for secondary weapon that can easily hold its own.

I was already casually attempting to gather parts for the Euphona Prime, specifically because I heard it can be good for Plains of Eidolon stuff, but the Pandero sounds like it might be a decent alternative until I can get the Euphona parts I still need from relics.

Both actually sound a lot like what I'm searching for, since the the alt fire gives them the ability to handle different kinds of targets at different ranges.

1 minute ago, Exadoir said:

I was already casually attempting to gather parts for the Euphona Prime, specifically because I heard it can be good for Plains of Eidolon stuff, but the Pandero sounds like it might be a decent alternative until I can get the Euphona parts I still need from relics.

Both actually sound a lot like what I'm searching for, since the the alt fire gives them the ability to handle different kinds of targets at different ranges.

Kind of.  Both of their alt-fire modes require you to be at close range to use well.  I've found the Pandero's alt-fire great for certain things, but I honestly don't use the Euphona Prime's alt-fire all that much.

That said, the Euphona has bullet-drop, which is the drawback for its frightening power.

My premier pick of secondary weapons that work like primaries, in killspeed and ammo efficiency, is this:

- Pyrana (prime): excellent damage and good crowd cleaning capabilities, short ranged 

- Sicarus Prime: the good version of Burston Prime

- Euphona Prime: being single target hurts the killspeed but with punchthrough and the fact it one-hit KOs the highest leveled enemies in availeable content makes up for it

- Staticor: nice blend of crit, status and AoE. Beastly. 

- Akbolto Prime: good enough for spray and pray and for semi auto focusing. Nice uptime (great mag size and fast reload) 

- Zakti: very nice AoE and extremely ammo efficient. Even better in dual-wield mode. 

Il y a 2 heures, Exadoir a dit :

That is a good point. I also have different Primaries and Melee weapons for different situations; I suppose it would be the same with Secondaries.

Yup, that's pretty much mandatory. There are various way to categorize them: mostly physical vs elemental, short range vs long range, AoE capability, ammo efficiency etc..

It's actually kind of a relief to hear that Akstiletto Prime doesn't really solve my main issue with the Aksomati (ammo issues). Makes me feel slightly less bad about investing in the Aksomati, instead of saving up for Akstiletto Prime instead.

Latest tier list that I know of rank Aksomati higher than Akstiletto Prime. In fast, it's rank n°2 of all secondaries (behind Atomos). So it's definitely a good choice. Most people choose Akstiletto Prime instead because (1) it's a Prime and (2) it used to be the n°1 gun (at some point in Warframe recent history)

This does look and sound like a very solid Secondary. Fairly easy to acquire, too; all the parts are Common drops in their respective Relics. I may even have one or two already rattling around in my inventory. Also sounds like a good weapon to use in conjunction with a shorter ranged Primary, which is something I've also been looking for.

It's definitely a solid long-term investment. Perhaps not currently top-tier, but it's solid, reliable and is easy to use, contrary to Knell for example that pretty much requires headshots. I don't know semi-auto enough to offer good alternatives. Be warned: Aklex is a side-grade, not an upgrade. Aklex have lower accuracy, making it unfit at Lex niche (snipping things from far away).

I've seen the Atomos mentioned here and there before, but on top of the ammo issues, it just...well, it's one of the ugliest weapons in the game, in my personal opinion. I realize that aesthetics sometimes need to take a backseat to gameplay, but in the case of the Atomos, no matter how good of a weapon it might be, there's no getting around the fact that it looks like our frames just jammed a hunk of machinery on their arms, when using it. Still, something to keep in mind, I guess....

Might I interest you in trying Embolist? 🙂

aoe with damage - atomos

aoe with CC -  sonicor

aoe with armor strip -  pox

armor strip -  acrid

dps sustained any range -  akstilleto

dps inefficient but powerful / armor strip any range - dex furis

dps short range -  pyrana

dps one  handed any range - azima 

Most are hitscan weapons, so easy to use. 

Edited by Fiewel

I will throw in another vote for the Atomos, it lacks range, but with with a few forma it wrecks everything quickly, but Ignus Wraith is my absolute favortite weapon in the game so maybe I just love the fire.

Lex Prime - massive damage even at long range, fire rate isnt great and mag size could be better, but it mows stuff down.

I try to alternate weapon types so if I have the Ignus Wraith or Amprex as pimary I will use Lex Prime as secondary, but if I have Tiberon Prime or Baza as my Primary then I grab the Atomos for my secondary.

I recommend the AkBolto Prime also.  Due to it native polarities, you won't really need to forma it more than once.  

I want to forma it more but it just doesn't need it as all my primed mods fit.  And it fits the criteria you listed OP.  

Just sayin', please take note of the TC mentioning he's MR10, so while e.g. Akbolto / Aklex / Euphona / Sicarus Prime
may be great (personally I don't much care for Aklex P's accuracy loss but w/e), that stuff is a little beyond the TC's reach right now.

(Bit of a pet peeve with these kinds of topics for me, at least point it out if your suggestion exceeds the stated MR, gosh.)

19 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

Just sayin', please take note of the TC mentioning he's MR10, so while e.g. Akbolto / Aklex / Euphona / Sicarus Prime
may be great (personally I don't much care for Aklex P's accuracy loss but w/e), that stuff is a little beyond the TC's reach right now.

(Bit of a pet peeve with these kinds of topics for me, at least point it out if your suggestion exceeds the stated MR, gosh.)

Sorry about that.  I tend to forget about MR requirements sometimes.  Especially since the weapons rework that changed a lot of them.  

11 hours ago, Exadoir said:

I've gotten to the point where I have a decent number of Primary and Melee weapons that I enjoy using and are powerful enough to handle most of the content in the game, but I still have yet to find a Secondary I really like. In particular, I'd kind of like a Secondary that I could use in place of a Primary when I'm leveling something in the Primary slot, be it something I Forma'd or MR fodder.

As you say, finding something you like to use is very important. I personally enjoy using weapons that have a unique trait to them (with a focus on status for condition overload).

I have also found the "Creeping Bullseye" corrupted mod to be particularly useful now that I am getting more into the crit-weapon side (since fire rate tends to be high anyway with Lethal Torrent, and also helps with ammo economy by a slight degree).

My most used weapons:

Zakti - High status with innate area stun

Tysis - My "debuffer", can modded for both corrosive and viral with pretty decent damage

Hystrix - elemental damage switching is pretty neat and has a good crit chance

Embolist - Radial damage/ status proc and energy regen with the Blight mod

For items of a higher mastery rank:

Spoiler

Ballistica Prime has good damage potential for either status or crit, and the ghosts make for good fodder

I am also liking the new Pyrana Prime with its special feature as well. Makes for a good hallway clearer