Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Umbral Forma: Healthy Grind

Voltage

I understand this topic has been brought up several times, but I want to recommend an interesting idea regarding Umbral polarities. With The Sacrifice comes these new mods which are hard to slot on anything that is not Excalibur Umbra. I believe build diversity is wasted as slotting these mods is not a feasible endeavor.

My proposition is to introduce an Umbral Forma, but with a cost. Umbral Forma should not be allowed to be purchased from the market (unless the cost is around 60 platinum each). The blueprint should drop from the Eidolon Hydrolyst (not a garenteed drop, maybe 30-40% drop chance).

Crafting costs would include: 1 Exilus Adapter, 40 Cetus Wisps, 2 Argon Crystals, and 20 Breath of the Eidolon.

This is the balance to the power unlocked by using the Umbral mod set. Players would not be able to run every frame with Umbral Mods without spending increased time grinding or platinum.

This also gives more meaning to Eidolons that will never diminish as DE introduces more Warframes. Cetus Wisps would see an increase in use from this change.

I understand if DE wants to keep these mods restricted to polarization on Umbra items, but I think there is room for diversity through meaningful grind and added Warframe polarization progression.

Edited by Voltage

as long as we get another way to get Wisps outside of one here and there in Bounties or 50 loading screens per minute picking them up on the ground, go nuts.
(where's the Gameplay feature related to acquiring these? there should be one. something to actually do in Gameplay to get them, not out of placedly awarded in Reward Pools or just running in circles)

That only treats the symptom tho it doesn't really do anything to foster actual build diversity. 

Because at the end of the day now you have spent a bunch of resources to lock yourself into an even more finite set of possible builds. 

With a cost like that there's no reason not to spend platinum on them. Cetus wisps are gross. For umbral forma I'd like more of a void tower dungeon with escalating difficulty the deeper you go, but maybe I'm just sentimental. 

NOPEEEE. This is really not needed. Umbra is unique and only umbra mods can go on umbra frames, with the umbra forma peple keep suggesting you can pretty much make any frame and umbra and with tah completely loosing the meaning of the whole umbra frame series. Also 30-40% drop rate from any eidolon in insanely common

Edited by AwkwardLazarow

23 minutes ago, Voltage said:

The blueprint should drop from the Eidolon Hydrolyst (not a garenteed drop, maybe 30-40% drop chance).

Crafting costs would include: 1 Exilus Adapter, 40 Cetus Wisps, 2 Argon Crystals, and 20 Breath of the Eidolon.

So in order to craft one of these to put one Umbral polarity on one Warframe, a player would need to:

• fight an average of 3 Hydrolists, only available during certain real-world times and after fighting other Eidolons.
  • buy an Exilus Adapter or burn 2 Forma on one, plus do some Simaris farming for Standing to get the BP
  • Do a ton of Wisp farming (ie sprinting around the Plains at top speed for as long as you can stand it) when the Wisp costs for other things already seem steep at 10-15
  • run a Void mission and do a few high-level Bounties.

These last two aren't bad, but all told this sounds like waaaaay too much time investment for something like this. None of this is really that difficult for most players who have access to the Sacrifice, so really it would just amount to hours and hours of various tedium just to save a handful of drain points on one Warframe. I understand some 'veteran' players are struggling to find things to do, but this level of grinding sounds painful and not at all worth the time.

Umbral Mods are not that big a deal. They are stronger than their vanilla versions, but the game hasn't gotten any harder since U23 and so these mods aren't remotely necessary for any build. If anything, their release has been an interesting answer to inevitable power creep: yeah, we'll give you stronger upgrades, but to use them you have to make sacrifices in your builds. Using Umbral mods isn't as simple as swapping out Intensify for your pseudo-Primed version or just adding an extra Forma and re-leveling in a round of Onslaught. These mods have a cost that can't be trivialized, and while I know lots of us would like that, it's not something that needs to happen right now. I'm interested in seeing where the devs take this thing.

Edited by SenorClipClop

1 minute ago, (XB1)Skippy575 said:

DE has come out and said the Sacrifice mods are for Umbra and aren't meant for other frames.

They can say whatever they want but they very well knew that people are going to try to cram the Umbra Mods into their regular builds. 

1 minute ago, Oreades said:

They can say whatever they want but they very well knew that people are going to try to cram the Umbra Mods into their regular builds. 

I feel like you're following me lol.

People can build however they want, and that's fine. But they aren't going to make Umbra forma any time soon.

Interesting idea overall, but I feel like it shouldn't be dropped from the Hydrolyst since it is unrelated to Umbra as a whole. I'm not entirely sure if my idea is good or not, but I'll still give a shot. What if the Umbral Forma would be dropped from Sentients on Lua instead of the Hydrolyst since they were in the Sacrifice Quest. Thoughts?

vor 17 Minuten schrieb xXDeadsinxX:

Interesting idea overall, but I feel like it shouldn't be dropped from the Hydrolyst since it is unrelated to Umbra as a whole. I'm not entirely sure if my idea is good or not, but I'll still give a shot. What if the Umbral Forma would be dropped from Sentients on Lua instead of the Hydrolyst since they were in the Sacrifice Quest. Thoughts?

interesting idea, however, how would u handle the drop chance? im curious, a 100% chance would be way too easy to get, id recomment maybe 2-5% then.

What blatant nonsense, slotting them outside Umbra is absolutely feasible and i have done it with multiple frames. Umbral polarities would keep the diversity at pre introduction of these mods but would make the powercreep they provide ultimately free.

'Balancing' them by sacrificing capacity/diversity is a good move.

I'd much rather they simply introduce Umbral variants of frames double time so we can enjoy them and prepare for the Tau system. As to your ideas, I definitely don't want more Plains grind introduced, it's already tedious enough as is.

Let me add as well that the proposal for 60p per Umbral Forma is also out of sorts. Gating it behind higher costs makes no sense. Cash value doesn't protect the "prestige" of the system or whatever the idea is supposed to be, it's just gouging for the sake of gouging.

Edited by True_Naeblis

11 minutes ago, --Q--uiescence said:

interesting idea, however, how would u handle the drop chance? im curious, a 100% chance would be way too easy to get, id recomment maybe 2-5% then.

Thanks, I'm not 100% sure on the drop chance though, but yeah, it should be somewhat low since sentients are easy to kill.

I don't agree that any changes are due on umbral mods/ forma capability until they introduce the actual sentient content designed to benefit from it. That will be "soon" enough and no use in conjecture until then. IMO, they split the content to accommodate a weak (Limbo) prime access, which is a fine and good idea. Wait and see before asking for changes to something not yet fully released.

1 hour ago, Voltage said:

I understand this topic has been brought up several times, but I want to recommend an interesting idea regarding Umbral polarities.

yep, and still you decided to make ANOTHER thread about it, instead of replying to any of the other ones

3 minutes ago, (PS4)NachoZissou said:

I've seen some pretty silly arguments about people thinking trivial things would break the game but umbral mods are already very powerful and I don't think there's any need for them to be halved in capacity. 

so true

The thing is, you're not supposed to use the Mods on anything other then Umbra Gear. Who knows, maybe they release more Umbral Mods and Warframes, which would result in us players having a whole new type of Warframe to play around and try things out with, atleast thats what i think is going to happen. Umbral mods are kind of like Prime Versions of Primed Mods, so being able to slap them onto every single Warframe would make them alot less special since everyone could just use them without Sacrifice.