Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A question of etiquette...

(NSW)Smashbrolink

This is just something that I've noticed happening a lot, and I want to get the opinion of others on it.

Whenever I go into a mission for a specific syndicate, I always go out of my way to hunt down the standing collectibles associated with that Syndicate during the mission.

But when I go into missions like that in public mode, I find quite often that I am the only one who's actively searching for them, and I'm not willing to leave until all of them are found.

Sometimes I even find myself abandoning the mission if others try to extract early without finding the collectibles.

Is it the normal etiquette, to not at least ask the people whose group you're joining if they are going for all the Syndicate collectibles, and to just run straight for the goal to get the mission standing faster?

Or is the etiquette during missions like that to actively search for the Collectibles without having to ask, and I'm just running across a lot of people who are either uncaring or not informed about how these Mission should be run?

• Like 3

Public games are, well, public, with no communication everyone will play however they see fit.

If you want to gather all the medallions your safest bet would be to go solo, recruit from your clan or use recruitment chat. Make sure to communicate how you want the mission to go and to see if everyone is in the same boat.

• Like 2

Sometimes people run them just to run them. Like Nightwave do X number of *mode* missions not just syndicate.

I do find many players actively hunt the drops if I did a public game. But its random in a random public mode so I choose to do them solo.

Proper etiquette is to go for the exit if you choose to play public. If you want to medallion hunt, you should play private/solo. If you run across a public group that wants to medallion hunt that's fine, but that shouldn't be expected. The mission is the objective, not objective plus medallions. 

• Like 4

Some players have no idea the Marks exist, or what they are for.

Some players want to farm them.

Some players dont want to farm them.

Some players have time.

Some players have no time.

Some are new to a syndicate.

Some are maxxed.

In my recent pub games the majority are fast in out for Nightwave.

And if you have little time, with four syndicates, you may have different priorities.

Me, if I want the Marks I solo, if I get all marks in a pub game its a bonus.

• Like 1

Generally, if you want to find all the syndicate medallions/marks etc, youre better off going solo or with a friend who wants to do that too. Many people just bumrush everything and aren't going to stop for others in pub mode.

Like others have said, the etiquette for a public match making game is "anything goes" 

If you try and come to a consensus in chat and no one answers you...that is a little rude, but something to be expected. The age old rule, that some people cannot seem to fathom, is a public group is a random grab bag. You don't know what you are gonna end up with, and you should keep your expectations low. I find it is a great way to meet people, and I spend about as much time playing "the groups ways" as I do my own way. 

If you have a specific goal in mind for a mission, recruit or make your own group. Honestly, at this point we should try and get the internet and MMO's in general to call it something besides a PUG (pick up group) like... RGU (Random Group Up) so that expectations are more steered towards the "randomness" that such groups truly are. But good luck getting the internet to make sense, am'i'right?  😜 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

Is it the normal etiquette, to not at least ask the people whose group you're joining if they are going for all the Syndicate collectibles, and to just run straight for the goal to get the mission standing faster?

8 hours ago, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

But when I go into missions like that in public mode, I find quite often that I am the only one who's actively searching for them, and I'm not willing to leave until all of them are found.

Emphasis added. I am thinking that the reason for doing so will be self evident. 

In a random group you get people with random preferences, much like the others said. Sometimes I meet players I can search for the collectibles in an unspoken mutual agreement, sometimes the others won't even pick up the ones I found and marked. 

I'm not a regular syndicate mission goer, never was. If collecting everything was an unwritten rule earlier, maybe this changed over time with a lot of new players joining Warframe, looking for a faster paced experience, or maybe they really don't even know what the collectibles are. It's not everybody's thing to search every room for the shiny stuff.

If you insist on getting all 8, you shouldn’t be joining public groups. It’s not worth the time to look for the 1 or 2 medallions someone missed. Frequently those medallions are on a different vertical level and someone missed them or was unaware how to access the room they are in. Likewise, IMO you shouldn’t join a public group if you have no interest in collecting medallions and just want to rush to extraction. It will always be faster to run those missions solo. If you can’t do those missions solo, you should respect what the rest of the group wants to do since you needed their help to complete the mission. Personally I usually run those missions solo because I hate joining missions in progress and having to back track looking for medallions. 

8 hours ago, Azlen said:

Proper etiquette is to go for the exit if you choose to play public. If you want to medallion hunt, you should play private/solo. If you run across a public group that wants to medallion hunt that's fine, but that shouldn't be expected. The mission is the objective, not objective plus medallions. 

So why not do it solo? It will always be faster this way. No waiting at friendship doors, no waiting at extraction. If a player’s goal is to complete the syndicate mission as fast as possible without picking up medallions, solo is the best option. On the other hand, if the goal is to find the medallions the mission is faster with a full squad. 

I usually just go for the exit in public groups, marking any Syndicate stuff I find, but not actively looking. If someone wants to look and I'm not in a rush, I'll help, or if everyone else fancies the idea, i'll help rather than abandon. 

Drop a comment to the squad at the start and they might go for it. If you find 3-4 marks quickly as a group that could sway folks to get the rest.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, KosmicKerman said:

So why not do it solo? It will always be faster this way. No waiting at friendship doors, no waiting at extraction. If a player’s goal is to complete the syndicate mission as fast as possible without picking up medallions, solo is the best option. On the other hand, if the goal is to find the medallions the mission is faster with a full squad. 

If you pub into a syndicate mission you might lose out on medallions. Let's say someone picks up a medallion before you load in, that medallion is unobtainable for you.

Solo is safest to be able to get all medallions.

2 minutes ago, HugintheCrow said:

If you pub into a syndicate mission you might lose out on medallions. Let's say someone picks up a medallion before you load in, that medallion is unobtainable for you.

Solo is safest to be able to get all medallions.

I don’t understand the point you are trying to make. I was responding to someone who believes the etiquette in syndicate missions is to rush to extraction. I don’t agree with this because if speed is the goal joining a public group is counter productive. If on the other hand you want to collect medallions but don’t care if you get all of them public groups should be the best option. Those missions take less time when everyone is looking for medallions. I’d also recommend you read the post above the one you replied to. 

General etiquette for public groups is too speed run the mission and end it as fast as possible picking up whatever medallions you come across on the way to the exit.

Sometimes you'll run into medallion hunters and then 1 by 1 the group will join in on the hunt but that's usually not the case. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KosmicKerman said:

I don’t understand the point you are trying to make. I was responding to someone who believes the etiquette in syndicate missions is to rush to extraction. I don’t agree with this because if speed is the goal joining a public group is counter productive. If on the other hand you want to collect medallions but don’t care if you get all of them public groups should be the best option. Those missions take less time when everyone is looking for medallions. I’d also recommend you read the post above the one you replied to. 

Regardless of what's fastest or most efficient, you joined a syndicate mission with the objective being clearly shown. Whether that's capture, sabotage, or whatever it may be. The objective is not contingent on any medallion collecting. So if you go in expecting that to be the focus, you are incorrect.

I get what you're saying, and you're right to a degree, but unfortunately that's not how the average player works. They go in to do a thing that the mission says. Not whatever thing you want on the side. I do syndicates solo always, so it's a nonissue for me. But the topic was asking what proper etiquette was. The etiquette is to do the mission. Your synthesis target, medallions, caches in sabotage, all those things are bonuses you should not inherently expect other players to care about in the same way you do. (Synthesis less so since you have to choose to kill it).

Usually people do Public syndicate missions to quickly get everything done with least amount of effort. So they'll search for medallions if it's on their way but if extraction is up they'll extract. Do it solo if you want medallions that badly.

Asking to stop extracting so you can search is super annoying. People want to optimize their time and get stuff done quickly. That's pretty much the goal of all public missions.

Edited by zoffmode
  • Like 1

On 2019-04-15 at 11:46 PM, (NSW)Smashbrolink said:

This is just something that I've noticed happening a lot, and I want to get the opinion of others on it.

Whenever I go into a mission for a specific syndicate, I always go out of my way to hunt down the standing collectibles associated with that Syndicate during the mission.

Sometimes I even find myself abandoning the mission if others try to extract early without finding the collectibles.

Or is the etiquette during missions like that to actively search for the Collectibles without having to ask, and I'm just running across a lot of people who are either uncaring or not informed about how these Mission should be run?

When on public missions, I just keep with the majority of the group.  For side items, like medallions, scannables,  etc., I'll ask in squad and then go frpm.there based on whatever response I get. 

But if I'm doing syndicate missions specifically to hunt medallions, I shift to friends only so I don't hinder the public teams with my scouring of the tileset, because my goals aren't theirs and I'm not going to force it on them. 

On 2019-04-16 at 8:24 AM, McGoodGreen said:

Honestly, at this point we should try and get the internet and MMO's in general to call it something besides a PUG (pick up group) like... RGU (Random Group Up) so that expectations are more steered towards the "randomness" that such groups truly are. But good luck getting the internet to make sense, am'i'right?  😜 

My friends call them Rando's, I think that in itself is what makes them actual "Rando's"