Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What weapon did Melee 2.9 kill for you?

RazorCure

When 2.9 hit..my number 1 melee, the Hirudo, was gutted. It is almost unplayable, with that idiotic dancey, jumping movement. It is so hard to actually land multiple hits without spinning off in a random direction, and I can't help but think that no Game Devs actually tested it..because it is just a chore.

So I went to my staff Zaw. Which is still pretty good (movement wise).

Recently I built the Tipedo Prime. It is BAD. SO so bad. Again, talking about the movement. The animations are great, sure, but WHAT is the point, when it is so hard to actually use? I can, and do, run at a group of 3 baddies, in a diamond shape. I try to keep dead center, so the slice hits both, but if I am a tiiiiiiiiiiiiny bit off, by the 3rd button press, that 'awesome' new melee 2.9 stuff kicks in and LAUNCHES me way past all 3 targets, usually into a wall or corner. It is even worse if me or the baddise are on a slope, and I just fly off while trying to get their hitboxes. Does ANYONE actually like the way the T-Prime fights now?

What weapon got killed for you?

• Like 1

None, I really like the new system.

It's a lot more fluent. The dedicated melee mode always felt a lot more Dynasty Warriors like.

The fast switching between melee and gunplay makes Warframe actually a lot more unique to it's competition in the genré.

hey there OP, got a better question for you. ever heard of grim fury?
it's basically sparring weapons' quick attack but a little bit more developed and doesn't lock you in place like brutal tide does.
the truth is, melee 2.9 didn't ruin anything, most stances being jank is what's ruining it for ya.

Edited by Chicadino

Gerade eben schrieb Chicadino:

hey there OP, got a better question for you. ever heard of grim fury?

I thought if asking that to, but if you look at all those drama-queens crying about melee2.9 it's pretty obvious they decide to ignore available options in favour of getting attention.

More fluent? Seriously? Pressing the key 3 times..and being launched way past the target, into a wall? Is fluid? Breakdance-melee, is fliuid?

And yeah..I have tried Grim Fury in my Hirudo. But keeping it would involve using a Forma, to basically fix what 2.9 broke. And sure, maybe most stances are junk..but wouldn't it have been a better idea to maybe FIX those first?

Only one so far, Hysteria Valkyr.

The whole point of it was to be able to ignore survival mods and focus on bringing up the damage thanks to her invulnerability. Instead of survival you had to manage her hysteria mechanics and the energy pool. Now you need armor and hp to survive the slightest bullet jump.

If they ever get around to changing the whole RMB = weapon swap crap she might be playable again with that build. Currently I've switched her over to crit and speed based Gram Prime.

edit: Also polearms feel kinda clunky now compared to before, far less fluid no matter the stance.

Edited by SneakyErvin
  • Like 1

Melee only player here and it only improved for me. Nikanas are way more fun, tipedo (which is my main melee, gotta farm the prime) is still awesome, i just had to swap stance to get away from jumping through enemies as you mentioned. Dual daggers are fun now, but the weapons still suck for now, lets hope 3.0 fixes it. I miss the dedicated melee mode the most, though. Most other weapons were still fine aswell, but i hate the switching of weapons when aimgliding or pressing any mouse button just because i'm used to channeling and blocking.

It completely killed Ack and Brunt.  Simply because now unless I go melee only it is impossible to use Electromagnetic Shielding and Guardian Derision, because for whatever reason DE went "Oh hey, you don't need to block when you want to, right?  And who needs those mods that actually allow you to tank.

Similarly it kinda killed the Vaykor Sydon, mainly because again you can't manually block and take advantage of Guardian Derision to charge up its radial blind ability reliably.  You just kinda have to hope that the enemies start shooting at you and just don't stop....

really hope that DE actually adds in the ability to block again if you carrying guns with your melee weapon...

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Tsukinoki:

Similarly it kinda killed the Vaykor Sydon, mainly because again you can't manually block

Has been fixed,

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Walkampf:

but if you look at all those drama-queens crying about melee2.9 it's pretty obvious they decide to ignore available options in favour of getting attention.

Whilst I LOVE Melee 2.9999999999999999999999997, I just had to shelve my gundao for now as the Shimmering Blight stance is awful. I just cannot get on with it

However, It has made me bring out my Twin Krohkurs and the Dragon Nikana (only as I have a riven for it)

Edited by (XB1)Tyreal2012
Typo
  • Like 1

Sword and shield, hammers and fist type weapons.

For some reason after the update all of them have way more momentum that they used to, some have broken unique mechanics and blocking combos have this idiotic weapon swap on them, so sometimes I have to avoid using certain combos unless I'm feeling lucky. Melee tracking and camera are so janky I would prefer to slide off into the sunset instead of using them ever again lmao.

I used blocking a lot to negate damage on certain frames. Now that it's automatic it feels weird, but I can get used to it. What makes it worse, is that it also interrupts certain actions from time to time.

I like that now we can instantly swap from melee to firearms, as it allows me to combo melee and status weapons, but other than that it looks bad. I feel like I gained a small QoL/gameplay improvement only to receive 10 major QoL and gameplay downgrades. I hope DE add specific buttons for charging and blocking. And also rework stances, melee momentum and overall melee balance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Walkampf said:
27 minutes ago, Walkampf said:

but if you look at all those drama-queens crying about melee2.9 it's pretty obvious they decide to ignore available options in favour of getting attention.

Yes, totally being a drama queen. Because my fav weapon is, to me, unplayable. Sure, some people might have adjusted to it, and enjoy Stance X on Weapon Y, but if something is still a chore after trying it for a week..it ain't gonna suddenly become super awesome fun. And of course, how DARE anyone provide feedback, like the huge 2.9 feedback thread, full of (mostly) well thought out and reasonable critique on the new system. Clearly all those people just wanted attention too.

vor 1 Minute schrieb RazorCure:

full of (mostly) well thought out and reasonable critique

And this is exacly the difference between feedback and the dying swansong of drama queens.

Also, if you knew about the thread, why didn't you post your "feedback" there?

The answer: Opening an additional thread get's more attention.

But thanks for delivering proof for my previous statment.

20 minutes ago, Walkampf said:

Has been fixed,

Except that it hasn't.

The only option is to go melee alone.  If you bring a gun you can't manually block so you can't use the vaykor sydon to blind enemies in any reliable fashion.

The "fix" they did was to fix another bug, but the biggest problem still remains You can no longer use it with guardian derision to manually block and get charges.  You now have to pull it out and sit there and hope that the AI decides "Oh, we're going to shoot this guy...." and do it enough for you to get charges.
It used to be "Oh, I'll manually block, get the charges I need, blind, and move on..." which is now impossible to do.

7 minutes ago, Walkampf said:

Update 24.4

• Vaykor Sydon’s Radial Blind now triggers upon toggling Melee Channel on/off if you have the required charges stored.

And you're ignorring the real problem:
You can't reliable gain charges as you can no longer manually block!

That is the problem with the Vaykor Sydon.  You need to block to gain charges, which means getting enemies to attack you and not other squad members.
This was easy back when you could manually block because you could slap on guardian derision and get charges quickly.
Now that no longer works.  Its now much harder and more annoying to get the charges in the first place.

How about you read what I'm typing instead of going "B-b-b-but they fixed an issue that isn't what you're talking about so your entire point is invalid...."

And the problem isn't just for Vaykor Sydon.  It also affects Ack and Brunt as you can no longer use Electromagnetic Shielding, because guess what that requires?  Oh yeah...being able to manually block with the weapon.

Edited by Tsukinoki
  • Like 2

Which weapon did it kill? Well, I only really used polearms (along with a tiny bit of redeemer and the occasional stave), but a quick test showed that the only melee weapons which haven't been crippled (read: something which forces your character to move in a way which ignores your movement inputs) by having actively wielded melee mode forced upon us are stanceless single swords, weeaboo sticks, rapiers and nunchucks. Gunblades come off very badly - try using the Sarpa without a stance.

It also breaks alt-fire, weapon mode switches, syndicate procs and automatic reloading of empty magazines.

In short, DE has managed to kneecap not only dedicated melee, but quick melee (beloved for its freedom of movement) and gunplay as well. Oh well, I suppose we've still got spin attacks. I suppose that's what DE want us to use, seeing as how they've soft-nerfed all the other forms of melee by locking us in place or ragdolling us around while we use them.

Oh, and

4 hours ago, Walkampf said:

You can use WASD to move between enemies and the person they are shooting at.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound here? You're basically telling them to jump through hoops to get a crude approximation of something which worked perfectly well before. Never mind that the purpose of this was to direct fire *away* from the original target.

• Like 1

All in all it's a solid first step on the road to 3.0.

Also lays bare the various imbalances in stances, and the need for their special effects to be in-game for evaluation sake, rather than solely wikibound.

Also, imho, makes a strong cases for stances not being tradeable pickups given their overall import to the function of melee weapons. They are as integral as aiming to a sniper rifle.