Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Increase the 90 Riven Limit

GunRaptor9000

12 hours ago, Psianide73 said:

Evil? Maybe, but no-one needs more than 90 of the damn things, and anyone stating the limit stops them from playing doesn't really want to play anyway, they want to collect stuff.

Thank you for proving my above stated point.

• Like 2

On 2019-06-27 at 7:19 AM, Chewarette said:

For economy's reasons, no.

Plus, that's the 2 billionth time someone creates this topic, can you try a quick Search before creating another one with absolutely nothing new in terms of argumentation beyond "i want it so plz introduce" ?

With all that economy knowledge there`s no wonder you're on a forum about an online game/

Very few people even buy enough capacity to reach the hard cap of 90 rivens, most of the people that do are collectors. It creates ZERO impact on economy, on the contrary, it might even boost economy as they will now be able to buy rivens again from the many people willing to sell theirs.

Your idea of people holding onto veiled rivens to reduce offer is absolutely ridiculous, to say the least.

I don't see anyone being sarcastic about the fluff fashionframe posts, some people like to sit on tons of cosmetics, dust cleaning robots, oberons, you name it, others on tons of rivens that can potentially change the way they play with their weapons; Just like you don't use all of your cosmetics every day, there's no reason to use such a fallacious argument to make a critique that reeks jealousy about how other people like to collect rivens.

Edited by (PS4)cdzbrbr
toning down

On 2019-06-27 at 1:32 PM, GunRaptor9000 said:

I made a similar post a while back.

From a gameplay perspective, you're entirely correct.  The player is stifled in their progression and collection due to this limit, and it adds a straight up source of anxiety which leads to less desire to play.  From a business perspective, it's a disincentive to buy plat, which is [quite honestly] idiotic on DE's part.

Now, given how obvious it is that the Riven Limit should be abolished (note: note simply "expanded," as this only pushes off the problem without fixing anything), there will be many who disagree with you.  Those will mainly be DE database apologists who think that the storage necessary for rivens or the I/O capability of it will be utterly overwhelmed, those who think the point of rivens is to trade them, those who will say you're playing the game wrong, and those who will say "you don't *need* more riven capacity, you want it."  All of these people either have ulterior motives (like keeping riven prices high so they can abuse the riven limit), while others just want to sound better than you because "they play the game the right way."  All of these people will post in this thread trying to call you out as a fool for pointing out an obvious point, which if implemented would instantly improve the game.

So, don't worry when most of your replies are people telling you you're wrong.  Keep the flag of obvious improvement to the game flying in the face of these sophomores and punks, and let's push to eliminate the riven limit.

so people who disagree with you and cite a repetitive understandable reason just because you could predict it doesn't it make it more or less true?

i mean take data storage for example in most cases you want to store things as efficiently as possible so your put your serrations in the assigned pile you know this. But rivens due to their RNG values do require their own slot for each one and type depending on variables no two lato rivens are the same or could be the same thus require 2 different slots even if the difference is in the decimals in time would make the data required to load a profile very high if you had like idk 200-300 rivens since all of them would require separate slots. now dont fully quote me on this im trying to find since i found it but @[DE]Glen said when you load into a mission its loading your whole inventory to the host so it knows what to replicate for all other players in that session im quoting him in hopes he could confirm or deny as my memory is spotty sometimes

so while you call them apologist they are not less true because you disagree with them and wish to disregard them the you dont need them crowd sure go ahead since that is opinion and preference but the data one can be backed up with actual logic from people who work in the field 

also id by glad to see what you try to pin to me a person who just dislikes rivens as i see them as a bad mechanic that ruins build diversity since most people seem to only care about turning everything into a one shot machine with a different skin with those bloody purple things it also being at least in my experience a huge case of burn out for my friends since its all they care about either to make one shot machines or as one of them calls them self the "riven baron" and only sells them for absurd prices 

i mean seriously a mod with RNG stats that was intended to bring lower weapons up to higher meta weapons what did you expect us to do comply with intention? well some did but most just metamanced even harder killed what little challenge was left for them in the game it strikes me as the saying "too much of a good thing is bad for you" dont you think so hmm probably not since you want no limit on them but who knows 

though i do agree people who spend like 200+usd (my currency yours may vary) on a single mod is fecking nutters i mean its your money your choice but lad thats grocery money paying bills money like doing something better with it money 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, seprent said:

so people who disagree with you and cite a repetitive understandable reason just because you could predict it doesn't it make it more or less true?

i mean take data storage for example in most cases you want to store things as efficiently as possible so your put your serrations in the assigned pile you know this. But rivens due to their RNG values do require their own slot for each one and type depending on variables no two lato rivens are the same or could be the same thus require 2 different slots even if the difference is in the decimals in time would make the data required to load a profile very high if you had like idk 200-300 rivens since all of them would require separate slots. now dont fully quote me on this im trying to find since i found it but @[DE]Glen said when you load into a mission its loading your whole inventory to the host so it knows what to replicate for all other players in that session im quoting him in hopes he could confirm or deny as my memory is spotty sometimes

so while you call them apologist they are not less true because you disagree with them and wish to disregard them the you dont need them crowd sure go ahead since that is opinion and preference but the data one can be backed up with actual logic from people who work in the field 

also id by glad to see what you try to pin to me a person who just dislikes rivens as i see them as a bad mechanic that ruins build diversity since most people seem to only care about turning everything into a one shot machine with a different skin with those bloody purple things it also being at least in my experience a huge case of burn out for my friends since its all they care about either to make one shot machines or as one of them calls them self the "riven baron" and only sells them for absurd prices 

i mean seriously a mod with RNG stats that was intended to bring lower weapons up to higher meta weapons what did you expect us to do comply with intention? well some did but most just metamanced even harder killed what little challenge was left for them in the game it strikes me as the saying "too much of a good thing is bad for you" dont you think so hmm probably not since you want no limit on them but who knows 

though i do agree people who spend like 200+usd (my currency yours may vary) on a single mod is fecking nutters i mean its your money your choice but lad thats grocery money paying bills money like doing something better with it money 

That's what i flush down the toilet 4h after a nice dinner, stop thinking your reality applies to everyone, be it in game or in real life.

@GunRaptor9000 made a psychological analysis of the types who come to say nay on these threads that can almost be turned into a meme of said people, given how accurate he was and there goes your wall of text proving just what he said;

He was just nice enough not to specify what these 'ulterior motives' are even though he knows it, I know it.

People who are jealous, people who say rivens cost a tons of plat even though EVERYONE knows this is false. PERFECT rivens cost a ton and only that, take a simple visican/satiata no negative and it costs 100p; The 10k riven is maybe 30% better.

If you can't live with the conflict between your desire for the very best riven and the inability to buy it then I'm afraid life as it is isn't gonna make you comfortable. There are better cars than yours, better houses, better neighborhoods.

The closes thing to a limit that we have on real life is a quota on international trading contracts and everyone knows they're cancer, an encumbrance that hurts the economy of those that signed it. That's what the riven cap is.

Btw, there's a way to increase riven capacity to 96.

And lastly, there are people asking their buds to carry rivens for them, all my friends who collect do that, how's that any different? It's not. There will always be workarounds, DE is better off just lifting the limit and letting people play the game the way they want to.

No one's judging your way to play, unless you use maiming strike, so don't judge theirs.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, (XB1)Norseman said:

Yes.  I heard that too.

18:02 minute mark

Scott talks about possibility of increasing Riven limit.

Is it possible.  Yes

Is it a reasonable goal.  Yes

Do a lot of people want to pay money to DE so they can have that feature.  Yes

Are there people/trolls with no insight into DE’s technical inner workings making wild ass guesses as to the difficulty of the problem.  Yes

Are there people/trolls that have no ability to imagine a desire of other players to play the game differently than themselves.  Yes

Does DE need to make money in ways that do not hurt the game.  Yes

Is this one way that would encourage more money to be invested into Warframe.  Yes 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, (XB1)Norseman said:

Yes.  I heard that too.

he did it does seem reasonable as much as i dont like them and that interview mostly as about riven stat locking and the one for every weapon came down a data base problem he believes hopefully time stamp works but if not 17:40 is around when he starts about rivens

22 minutes ago, (PS4)cdzbrbr said:

That's what i flush down the toilet 4h after a nice dinner, stop thinking your reality applies to everyone, be it in game or in real life.

@GunRaptor9000 made a psychological analysis of the types who come to say nay on these threads that can almost be turned into a meme of said people, given how accurate he was and there goes your wall of text proving just what he said;

He was just nice enough not to specify what these 'ulterior motives' are even though he knows it, I know it.

People who are jealous, people who say rivens cost a tons of plat even though EVERYONE knows this is false. PERFECT rivens cost a ton and only that, take a simple visican/satiata no negative and it costs 100p; The 10k riven is maybe 30% better.

If you can't live with the conflict between your desire for the very best riven and the inability to buy it then I'm afraid life as it is isn't gonna make you comfortable. There are better cars than yours, better houses, better neighborhoods.

The closes thing to a limit that we have on real life is a quota on international trading contracts and everyone knows they're cancer, an encumbrance that hurts the economy of those that signed it. That's what the riven cap is.

And lastly, there are people asking their buds to carry rivens for them, all my friends who collect do that, how's that any different? It's not. There will always be workarounds, DE is better off just lifting the limit and letting people play the game the way they want to.

No one's judging your way to play, unless you use maiming strike, so don't judge theirs.

imho people always have ulterior motives either they are aware of them or not my slight beef with it was the way at least sounded to me sweeping the data side under the rug since that one can be backed up while the other crowd that ill admit was a part of for a time can be as that is opinions and preference 

my stance on rivens is open i dislike them and ill happily explain though i kinda already did now that i notice a discussion is always nice how ever and if you use them more power too you just dont expect DE to cater to you when it comes to content i feel the saying too much of a good thing is bad for you saying is a good use of it if not for the limit then the invalidation it does to the game and any attempts it makes to challenge players.

then the price matter im aware it varies not every riven cost is absurd but i meant those perfect god rivens that are 10k+ in plat those people i question their ability to handle money while it is their money or farmed plat how they spend is their choice but im not going to silently judge them im going to tell them what i think about it 

my riven cap is like i think 18 i got like 14 from just kinda playing ive tossed a few gave some away so in some way i carry rivens for friends since i just toss em to them when they ask or want one i have only interest in keeping one since i was my first and it makes me laugh 

but yeah use of maiming strike the mod name alone makes my hand feel weird since seeing people use it besides that i guess i do judge them but i wont actively crusade to stop you ill just tell you i dont like it and why if its brought up or were talking about it but ultimately its how you play the game i wont try to stop you 

Edited by seprent
unneeded space for post

10 minutes ago, seprent said:

he did it does seem reasonable as much as i dont like them and that interview mostly as about riven stat locking and the one for every weapon came down a data base problem he believes hopefully time stamp works but if not 17:40 is around when he starts about rivens

imho people always have ulterior motives either they are aware of them or not my slight beef with it was the way at least sounded to me sweeping the data side under the rug since that one can be backed up while the other crowd that ill admit was a part of for a time can be as that is opinions and preference 

my stance on rivens is open i dislike them and ill happily explain though i kinda already did now that i notice a discussion is always nice how ever and if you use them more power too you just dont expect DE to cater to you when it comes to content i feel the saying too much of a good thing is bad for you saying is a good use of it if not for the limit then the invalidation it does to the game and any attempts it makes to challenge players.

then the price matter im aware it varies not every riven cost is absurd but i meant those perfect god rivens that are 10k+ in plat those people i question their ability to handle money while it is their money or farmed plat how they spend is their choice but im not going to silently judge them im going to tell them what i think about it 

my riven cap is like i think 18 i got like 14 from just kinda playing ive tossed a few gave some away so in some way i carry rivens for friends since i just toss em to them when they ask or want one i have only interest in keeping one since i was my first and it makes me laugh 

but yeah use of maiming strike the mod name alone makes my hand feel weird since seeing people use it besides that i guess i do judge them but i wont actively crusade to stop you ill just tell you i dont like it and why if its brought up or were talking about it but ultimately its how you play the game i wont try to stop you 

I can agree with a lot of what you said, pretty much everything, but limiting people is not the way to handle things, unless it crosses someone's liberty. That's enticing a crowd into racist behavior, that's murder, that's home invasion, that's a lot of things but definetely not collecting cars, to make a parallel with real life.

I'll give you my example, when the riven system was introduced i bought tons of rivens from everyone, not really worrying about whether they were good or not. Fast forward 3 years, I'm at the 90 cap (which can be extended to 96 tho you're still unable to play sorties if above 90) i don't buy rivens from anyone unless they're perfect, my space is so gawdamned limited i can't have the luxury of buying average rivens to test stuff. 

MANY people are in the same situation as mine, they have no space, say you had a lot of money but only one more space on your garage, would you buy a prius? Probably not.

That's what the cap is doing, it's hurting the economy, hurting it badly, stopping people, most of which need the plat, to sell their average rivens cause most of the people who buy them are at the point where being nitpicky is the only option. And guess what? That's also one of the reasons why perfect rivens cost a ton, I assure. I wasn't into buying perfect stuff. Then it came to a point where i had no option.

It's bad on so many levels that we gotta be rational on this one, rivens aren't going away, people who collect them can't get more, people who need the plat can't sell. That's the scenario on PS4 and I'm pretty sure it's not any different on the other platforms.

Edited by (PS4)cdzbrbr

7 minutes ago, Makunogo said:

people keep talking about players who have spend usd to buy rivens. is there anyone here who has actually bought plat for the sole purpose of that said claim? 

Yes, that's what i spend the plat from my prime accesses on, it's the only thing i care about spending plat on. 

Being more specific to your qeustion, i've bought plat before for the sole purpose of buying arcane energizes for different frames, back when they were attached to helmets.

Bought plat. to buy rivens.

And i have 3 friends that bought plat for the sole purpose of buying primed chambers at over 140k platinum value. You do the math.

That's people, they're different, learn to coexist with their differences or be a recluse but don't ever tell anyone how they should go about which is what half the people on this thread are doing.

Edited by (PS4)cdzbrbr
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, (PS4)cdzbrbr said:

Yes, that's what i spend the plat from my prime accesses on, it's the only thing i care about spending plat on. 

Being more specific to your qeustion, i've bought plat before for the sole purpose of buying arcane energizes for different frames, back when they were attached to helmets.

Bought play to buy rivens.

And i have 3 friends that bought plat for the sole purpose of buying primed chambers at over 140k platinum value. You do the math.

That's people, they're different, learn to coexist with their differences or be a recluse but don't ever tell anyone how they should go about which is what half the people on this thread are doing.

well it is their choice to use money to buy it. i find that some people are using the fact that money is spent as some form of... idk argument?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, (PS4)cdzbrbr said:

I can agree with a lot of what you said, pretty much everything, but limiting people is not the way to handle things, unless it crosses someone's liberty. That's enticing a crowd into racist behavior, that's murder, that's home invasion, that's a lot of things but definetely not collecting cars, to make a parallel to real life.

I'll give you my example, when the riven system was introduced i bought tons of rivens from everyone, not really worrying about whether they were good or not. Fast forward 3 years, I'm at the 90 cap (which can be extended to 96 tho you're still unable to play sorties if above 90) i don't buy rivens from anyone unless they're perfect, my space is so gawdamned limited i can't have the luxury of buying average rivens to test stuff. 

MANY people are in the same situation as mine, they have no space, say you had a lot of money but only one more space on your garage, would you buy a prius? Probably not.

That's what the cap is doing, it's hurting the economy, hurting it badly, stopping people, most of which need the play, to sell their average rivens cause mos of the people who buy them are at the point where being nitpicky is the only option.

It's bad on so many levels that we gotta be rational on this one, rivens aren't going away, people who collect can't get more, people who need the plat can't sell. That's the scenario on PS4 and I'm pretty sure it's not any different on the other platforms.

thats why i said to the other person i may not like them but at least 1 for every gun in the game would be a reasonable goal  since as more came out the cap would grow with it i can agree with that how ever the removal of a limiter could bring the market into a state of equilibrium but its something that i'm kinda wary of since i want to game to do good and a bit of change is scary my concern might be silly but its still there

i mostly believe rivens are a bad game mechanic that ruins the one thing players seem to love build diversity while rivens can give very wacky effects some i get a kick out of but the majority or vocal minority could be either one but people are kinda loud about it

people only care about doing more damage that's the mindset of the current meta be it damage per second or damage per hit they want to steam roll any thing the game throws at them with a really big number or a series of slightly smaller but still big numbers and rivens are the key to this genocide murder door 

i dont want this game to lost all semblance of resistance to the players because of these purple rng mods but i equally know i cant do anything about people doing that so i dont try to force people if they burn out on the game it is of their own choice 

kinda like being a DM in DND you want to give your players a sense of resistance because if you let them steam roll everything they will have fun but quickly get bored and if you make it too hard they will just frustrated and leave while the normal mod system could let you cheese thing hard it had a sense of balance that rivens mods don't acknowledge with rng stats 

its also why i say kuva should have more uses before we given ways to farm more of it since besides rivens kuva is used in 11 things i think could be 13 idk but all those things you only need to build one time  then only use left is rivens i have 71-81 k of the stuff and idk what to do with it since their main sink is something i dont wish to invest in 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Makunogo said:

well it is their choice to use money to buy it. i find that some people are using the fact that money is spent as some form of... idk argument?

i use it for a sense of perspective not really argument since bang for your buck your gonna go for the prime access if your buying none discounted plat since it gets you the almost same amount of plat 200usd gets you (4300) while prime access gets you (See list) for about 140 usd and some people i met have disassociated plat with actual money since you can farm it so i use it as a kinda Bare in mind kinda thing 

• 3990 plat (personally think this is a odd number)
  • frame
  • 2-3 weapons (depending)
  • profile pictures 
  • accessories
  • 90 day boosters 
  • slots for them and potatoes 

Some people enjoy rivens and want more than 90 slots.  Funny in any other topics people rush to the "don't tell others how to play or have fun" defense.  Then don't tell people what's an acceptable amount of riven slots or why they shouldn't want more.  Maybe that's fun for some.  The storage excuse is bs because what if all the inactive accounts suddenly became active and started utilizing their slots.  What if 1 million new players join in the next month and start using riven slots.  I bet storage would magically appear.  Fine if you don't like them or want them gone, I feel this way about certain frames and weapons.  However, just like the other topics, stop trying to tell people what you think is best for them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seprent said:

i use it for a sense of perspective not really argument since bang for your buck your gonna go for the prime access if your buying none discounted plat since it gets you the almost same amount of plat 200usd gets you (4300) while prime access gets you (See list) for about 140 usd and some people i met have disassociated plat with actual money since you can farm it so i use it as a kinda Bare in mind kinda thing 

• 3990 plat (personally think this is a odd number)
  • frame
  • 2-3 weapons (depending)
  • profile pictur
  • accessories
  • 90 day boosters 
  • slots for them and potatoes 

i see. i price the plat base on the lowest legitimate price it can be obtained which is about 26$ cad? ( i have used a75% discount once its around this i think) on a 75% discount. -which is the suggested rate that most people tell someone to buy at -

again i would like to thank people who do buy plat tho. as they fund the game for us freebies.

i said the same thing in the last thread of this nature

On 2019-06-27 at 11:07 AM, ArisaSensei said:

As an end game player with every weapon and warframe I could ever want, rivens are just about the only thing that can get me to log in for a decent chunk of time anymore, if Digital Extremes isn't going to design more content tailored to the veteran playerbase, could you all at least sell me more riven slots so that I can collect the ones that I like? With the influx of new weapons lately, 90 slots is hardly enough to maintain a good collection nowadays.

Rivens aren't "collectables".

The 90 riven cap is a hardware issue and until / unless DE decide to upgrade their hardware, the limit will remain in place.

You should really use the forum search function, as this has already been discussed to death.

On 2019-06-28 at 9:40 AM, MillbrookWest said:

For example: I don't play POE, but assuming the Prefix, and Suffixes, are just regular Strings you could encode two 8 bit values into a single short. Locally, you can store whatever datastructure you want (an enum for example) and express to the user whatever string corresponds to a given number for ~64K String variations (give or take). This way, you aren't storing 64 thousand strings on the server.

Clearly you do not. PoE items are unique and far, far more complex than rivens, there's no comparison. And there's no limit to how many you can have (at least not one you will reach in practice). The game even garbage collects full copies of your entire inventory from every league and event you play into the standard league, people can easily have hundreds of thousands of items and this doesn't cause any kind of performance issues whatsoever, of course.

Why are you talking about "strings" anyway? Do you mean riven names? The names are generated based on what stats are on the riven, the order in which each word is combined is based on their numerical values. Even if rivens stored stuff like names rather than generating them, this is practically zero data for modern computers, it wouldn't matter however many rivens you want to store, load, transfer, whatever.

2 hours ago, FlusteredFerret said:

The 90 riven cap is a hardware issue and until / unless DE decide to upgrade their hardware, the limit will remain in place.

Nonsense. Unless they literally haven't upgraded their hardware since the 1970s.

Guys, seriously, get a clue about how computers work and what they're capable of. Rivens are nothing, just nothing.

• Like 2

This type of generalisation never really holds any water.

Firstly, Warframe =/= POE (rather obviously). How data is handled between the two differs significantly.

For example: I don't play POE, but assuming the Prefix, and Suffixes, are just regular Strings you could encode two 8 bit values into a single short. Locally, you can store whatever datastructure you want (an enum for example) and express to the user whatever string corresponds to a given number for ~64K String variations (give or take). This way, you aren't storing 64 thousand strings on the server.

That's a pretty gross use case, but serves as an example of how a dev may work with their data. Because rather than storing those 64k strings, you instead store two 8 bit numbers. This makes it easy to retrieve, and send, the data to clients.

Since Rivens inherently carry with them a number of constraints, you can assume the data they prepare would be slightly more complex. The key word i used to describe it was 'Unique'. I have rivens you dont (for example), but i can say for certain we both have the same Continuity mod. You can generalise the continuity mod, but you cant significantly generalise the riven (at least given what the devs have said about the rivens).

.There is a solution, it was added at the end of my post.

The post served to inform why the riven count is finite, in relation to every other mod, and why DE don't simply abolish the limit.

More over, as has been said by others, when DE can, they bump up the limit.

You are right, you do not play PoE. Every single item is unique as much as rivens are in WF and even more, with waaaaaaay more variables than rivens.Statwise up to 3 suffix and 3 prefix, skill enchantments, corruptions so on, all with different values. Plus they have variable number of sockets, socket colors, number of links in between. They are as unique as it can go and you can have a potentially infinite number of them on your account . Rivens to store are nothing in comparison.

There is a solution, it was added at the end of my post.

The post served to inform why the riven count is finite, in relation to every other mod, and why DE don't simply abolish the limit.

More over, as has been said by others, when DE can, they bump up the limit.

Appart from the fact that it was just a "joke" in answer to somebody else, I see only possible "solutions" that are no working solutions at all in your post. Wich you didn't need to include anyway, because only DE can come up with something for their own game. In any case what it tried to convey was that DE is clearly have a the wrong approch to this problem and two and a half year is quiet enough time to solve it in my opinion.

15 hours ago, GunRaptor9000 said:

Yet another case in point!  I'm on a role!

Well it is true as stated by DE so I am not sure what you are expecting. There is a simple solution if you want to test your thesis though: Fund the project. For poor industrial server the cost will start from 100 000 $ but if you want a proper server it is few millions (and other logistic costs like cooling etc.). If you have that kind of money just lying around, go ahead. I know I don't, I wish I did but I do not.

I honestly do not care either way, I can understand the logistics behind server space and the limitation (scale is the problem, not so much individually, but the hopeless idealist and romanticist in me wouldn't mind having unlimited Riven spaces as well. Like I said though, if you want to put your thesis to test, go and fund the project.

Edited by BETAOPTICS

11 hours ago, (PS4)cdzbrbr said:

I do not find either of these commentaries insulting, but their " psychoanalysis" is unfounded. Unlike armchair psychologists on the forums, I am one by my education. Referring what DE has stated on their own livestream doesn't make someone nefarious: " [...] these people either have ulterior motives (like keeping riven prices high so they can abuse the riven limit), while others just want to sound better than you because "they play the game the right way." [...] " - this is more emotion speaking than the rational part of the brain. It has nothing to do with jealousy nor greed, it is simply describing what DE has said in response to the question of Riven cap existence. Whatever connotations some person wants to tie into their projection is their own business, but it won't nonetheless change DE's answer on that topic.

Just out of pure curiosity, make a guess how much I've made from Platinum sales over the years and how I get platinum, oh and whether I follow meta play or not. You know, test the hypothesis and diagnostics analysis out, lets do some qualitative research.

Edited by BETAOPTICS

3 hours ago, Mudfam said:

Clearly you do not. PoE items are unique and far, far more complex than rivens, there's no comparison.

Ignoring the fact i did actually put my hand up and state i don't play it. Following along with this video, you can extend my example above using an enum data structure. You can inform me on what the models of these items look like though, genuinely curious if each of these items is represented by a unique in-game model as well.

My post was merely that however, an example. 

If i knew how GGG coded their game, and designed their databases, i'd work for them.

Why are you talking about "strings" anyway? Do you mean riven names? The names are generated based on what stats are on the riven, the order in which each word is combined is based on their numerical values. Even if rivens stored stuff like names rather than generating them, this is practically zero data for modern computers, it wouldn't matter however many rivens you want to store, load, transfer, whatever.

I think you've lost me with this, the reference was to how may items/fields you would end up with in your database... You can elaborate though.

Guys, seriously, get a clue about how computers work and what they're capable of. Rivens are nothing, just nothing.

Studying a CS degree. So, yeah. Designing even garbage level databases for the degree is difficult. Actually deploying something millions of people are gunna hit is obviously why some of these guys get paid lots of money.

3 hours ago, Nirrel said:

You are right, you do not play PoE. Every single item is unique as much as rivens are in WF and even more, with waaaaaaay more variables than rivens.Statwise up to 3 suffix and 3 prefix, skill enchantments, corruptions so on, all with different values. Plus they have variable number of sockets, socket colors, number of links in between. They are as unique as it can go and you can have a potentially infinite number of them on your account . Rivens to store are nothing in comparison.

See above. Stuff like this isn't super difficult with OO programming (C++ etc.) You'll have the data structure already, all it needs is something to initialise with (which you'll probably get from the server), then all you send to the user is a bunch of numbers: 154523, which the user can break up to whatever the data structure needs 1 | 5 | 4 | 5 | 23 etc. etc.

3 hours ago, Nirrel said:

I see only possible "solutions" that are no working solutions at all in your post. Wich you didn't need to include anyway, because only DE can come up with something for their own game. In any case what it tried to convey was that DE is clearly have a the wrong approch to this problem and two and a half year is quiet enough time to solve it in my opinion.

Solution was provided by DE. I was simply repeating it. 

Edited by MillbrookWest