Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Increase the 90 Riven Limit

GunRaptor9000

DE, I have many words of praise for you.  You are the best gaming company out there.  You have made my favorite video game.  You monetize in very un-pushy and even pleasant ways....and as such I have spent more on your one game than I have spent on any entire franchise.  You're pretty awesome all around.  Which is why I'm so glad that almost 600 days ago, my girlfriend FORCED me to download your game.

It's worth noting that around the time PoE came out, my girlfriend and I were about three years into our relationship, and at the time we were in a long-distance relationship for professional, medical, and family reasons.  Though we kept up with each other by playing many video games together, we had a divide in where our interests lay; I was an FPS and action gamer, and she was into MMORPGs.  Warframe was a fantastic middle ground, and we have stayed active in the game ever since, with rarely so much as a missed login.

But along the way, with daily sorties and a surplus of plat from buying Prime Access as what we jokingly called our "date night fund," we started to acquire more and more riven mods.  As I was more adamant about doing the daily sortie and looking for deals on rivens I liked, I approached 90 much faster.  No problem, my girlfriend will just get my runoff.  Well, as time went on, she too started to approach the 90 riven limit, so we started giving less loved ones away to friends, but even that started to run dry. Now once again living together, as we both hit the dreaded 91 rivens, we had to only keep the ones we actually forma-ed weapons for.....and so on.  This eventually started to take away from the fun of Warframe, due to the stress that just logging in caused her.

So, here we are now, where I still want to play Warframe with her, because it's a great time and we have many, many fun memories playing it together, but it's hard for her to bring herself to start up the game because she hates having to deal with the [seemingly arbitrary to players] 90 riven limit.  And while our relationship is obviously still strong, it just leaves both of us very upset that something that is meant to enhance both of our favorite game, actually ends up making it an exercise in anxiety.  While riven collecting is fun in and of itself, it's simply the limit you place for "database storage reasons," the anxiety it causes for her (and even for me) when there are hundreds of awesome weapons in this game just makes the entire experience of Warframe less fun, and for her....simply not fun.  While expanding the riven limit would be a nice temporary fix, without eliminating the limit we'll be right back to the same place in a matter of months.

DE, you made a game with literally hundreds of amazing and unique weapons.  Then you released these rivens with a 90-riven cap for database reasons....fair, sure, but then people just started making alt accounts to store their surplus rivens.  She and I don't want to deal with multiple accounts, and therefore we're placed into a position of just getting fed up.  In fact, it was due to this issue that we haven't bothered getting Prime Access this time around...because of rivens, and the 90 riven limit.  So, in summary, in this situation, you're losing out on customers and you're saving no database space in the larger scheme, and slowly but surely Warframe is becoming the game that we "used to play together."

So, DE, while our relationship is actually totally fine, I'm not really okay with Warframe slipping into a thing she and I "used to do together."

Lift the riven mod limit, please.

• Like 2

Increasing the limit won't change the main issue.

Ive hit the same problem a while back too.

An acceptable solution would be to OPT-OUT of getting rivens from sorties, so we can still do them after reaching the limit and get the other rewards from it, the bunch of kuva, the dreaded ayatans, and a chance at a rngesus-damned Legendary core...

Simple implementation of a switch would rid a major problem of this game and lift the sortie limitation.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GunRaptor9000 said:

people just started making alt accounts to store their surplus rivens.  She and I don't want to deal with multiple accounts

I want to warn you that this practice, however widespread it is, is against the EULA and will get you a ban if DE finds out.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, GrayArchon said:

I want to warn you that this practice, however widespread it is, is against the EULA and will get you a ban if DE finds out.

Which is part of the reason we don't do it.....that, and that WE SHOULDN'T EVEN FEEL COMPELLED TO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GunRaptor9000 said:

To be fair, it's not a high bar these days....but they still deserve the recognition. 

And this is why they will take their sweet time nitpicking on whatever they like to read or hear, being thankful for their existence is the reason the game hasn't gotten a few important fixes like armor scaling.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

And this is why they will take their sweet time nitpicking on whatever they like to read or hear, being thankful for their existence is the reason the game hasn't gotten a few important fixes like armor scaling.

Or the fact that doing something like fixing armor scaling is a massive undertaking that would also require them to rebalance a bunch of other factors in the game to keep any semblance of balance.

Or something. colton underwood idk GIF by The Bachelor

• Like 4

If they would increase the limit to maybe 200 because why not, people would cry about increasing in about one month.

I'll never understand why people complain about the riven limit while most of the weapons are MR fodder. Yea, I know, maybe because that one riven you own could be a the big deal after that next patch.

Riven mods use up a lot of memory on the servers afaik, so they aren't like normal mods. That's why we've gotten very few increases to the max we can have. I would probably care more if I didn't transmute 15+ garbage rivens a week. 

Edited by TheGuyver

3 minutes ago, TheGuyver said:

Riven mods use up a lot of memory on the servers afaik, so they aren't like normal mods. That's why we've gotten very few increases to the max we can have. I would probably care more if I didn't transmute 15+ garbage rivens a week. 

We've heard this excuse a thousand times over.  The amount of retention of players like my gf and me who actually spend a good deal of money in game would quickly offset the costs.

• Like 1

Also, somehow my post title was changed from "DE, It's Real Talk Time: The 90 Riven Limit is Impacting my Relationship with my Girlfriend" to "Increase the 90 Riven Limit."

What gives?  That's not even what the post is about.  The post is the about the reason I want the riven limit gone....I'm not just saying "derp derp I want more rivens because I want them."

It's not about actual storage capacity on the servers. Storage space in itself is rather cheap.

It's about I/O and network usage. Ever notice the small pause when opening your mod console? Want to know why that happens?

Edited by IspanoLFW

13 minutes ago, IspanoLFW said:

It's not about actual storage capacity on the servers. Storage space in itself is rather cheap.

It's about I/O and network usage. Ever notice the small pause when opening your mod console? Want to know why that happens?

Well, considering how much Rivens are hated at this point, I'd almost be okay with the whole concept going away if they can't handle some randomized stats on the network...I would be sad, as I like collecting them, but it's better than what's currently available.

17 minutes ago, GunRaptor9000 said:

Well, considering how much Rivens are hated at this point, I'd almost be okay with the whole concept going away if they can't handle some randomized stats on the network...I would be sad, as I like collecting them, but it's better than what's currently available.

Well, as someone else said, Rivens do take up quite a bit more storage than anything else in game. Unlike normal mods which only need an ID, quantity, and fused level and the ID links to the database for all the other relevant info, Rivens have to have ALL their data self contained. This includes the stats, which are semi random even among the same stat. They have a decimal value, the challenge to unlock it, and some other stuff. It's quite a bit different than a normal item in game.

At first thought people think "but storage space is cheap" and they don't look beyond that. It's like if you had a database of normal mods vs Riven mods, the normal mods could link the ID to the description/etc elswhere. The actual entry on the player's account would be small. But a Riven would have to cram everything into that entry. Bloating it and increasing access times.

• Like 2

Just get rid of the mods you don't use, problem solved. If you somehow literally use all of them regularly then increasing the cap isn't going to solve your issue.

Even if DE does go and increase the cap as was mentioned before it isn't going to solve the issue for anyone who's unable to let go of their current Rivens. And lifting the cap entirely and limiting it by the amount of plat you have just makes any slight and potential issue with their storage size into an even more real issue.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IspanoLFW said:

Rivens do take up quite a bit more storage than anything else in game.

One of the saddest excuses in existence. You don't even need to know any programming, just basic math and some common sense to see that whatever reason DE had for imposing this limit it's anything BUT storage space issues.  

We can have hundreds of warframe slots filled with hundreds of warframes, each with its own selection of mods, regalia, ephemeras and other cosmetics, colors for each part, level, polarities, abilities (affected by mods), basic stats (also affected by mods) and a ton more stuff I just can't remember off the top of my head. 

We can have a cubic buttload of Companions and Weapons, too, leveled, modded and colored however the Hek we want. 

Lastly, we can have our Orbiter space, and more importantly - rooms upon rooms in our Dojos, filled with complex decorations each and every one of which can be positioned in three-dimensional space and rotated freely along three 360° axes. 

...Unless every single Riven Mod hides a data equivalent of the Great Library of Alexandria carefully steganographied into its mod illustration, i highly doubt "storage space shortage" was, is or ever will be a valid reason to limit their numbers. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Reifnir said:

One of the saddest excuses in existence. You don't even need to know any programming, just basic math and some common sense to see that whatever reason DE had for imposing this limit it's anything BUT storage space issues.  

We can have hundreds of warframe slots filled with hundreds of warframes, each with its own selection of mods, regalia, ephemeras and other cosmetics, colors for each part, level, polarities, abilities (affected by mods), basic stats (also affected by mods) and a ton more stuff I just can't remember off the top of my head. 

We can have a cubic buttload of Companions and Weapons, too, leveled, modded and colored however the Hek we want. 

Lastly, we can have our Orbiter space, and more importantly - rooms upon rooms in our Dojos, filled with complex decorations each and every one of which can be positioned in three-dimensional space and rotated freely along three 360° axes. 

...Unless every single Riven Mod hides a data equivalent of the Great Library of Alexandria carefully steganographied into its mod illustration, i highly doubt "storage space shortage" was, is or ever will be a valid reason to limit their numbers. 

Basically this.

I just asked my girlfriend if she wanted to play Warframe.

She said "not tonight, I don't want to deal with rivens."

DE, I'll make you a deal; if you drop the pointless riven cap, I'll buy Prime Access for myself AND my girlfriend.

Because we're playing other games together tonight, when I'd rather be playing Warframe....but I'm not, because you actually trigger her anxiety....in a game that used to chill her out.

I'm actually getting kind of mad thinking about this.....

qafac.jpg

Dude, my goodness sake...You don't know how to deal with ppl selling riven mods for plats for that is best way you can increase your riven slots.  Selling the riven to players = plats for that is how you earn plats.  I read the whole thing and now your not using your head about using the riven mods that you could of selling it for plats in the market.  this is marketing business I am talking about here for the loving sake which why do you think we have a trading chat and the trading station area.  If your able gather tons of riven mods just sell them dirt cheap around within 30-200 plat range depending on how good it is.  For my view when I am selling my riven mods I usually sell that much around that price range because due of how many rolls I had or either that I end up sick of tired using the riven that I don't use for I would sell it dirt cheap.

I only do merchant job on the game depending on either the players I am dealing with either the greatest scheme maker or being fair trade as majorities the time I get the scammer to try to sell mods aren't rare in the game for plats.

*edit*

Right now I know the DE has to solve the plat issues and what is going be free to play or is it going face "pay to win" version which this is might grow a type of issues.

• Fact for there aren't many winners getting plats
  • plats are not way presented every time
  • the best bet is getting 75% discount on plats which that only chooses you can use for saving some money

Edited by ChaoticEdge

1 minute ago, ChaoticEdge said:

qafac.jpg

Dude, my goodness sake...You don't know how to deal with ppl selling riven mods for plats for that is best way you can increase your riven.  Selling the riven to players = plats for that is how you earn plats.  I read the whole thing and now your not using your head about using the riven mods that you could of selling it for plats in the market.  this is marketing business I am talking about here for the loving sake which why do you think we have a trading chat and the trading station area.  If your able gather tons of riven mods just sell them dirt cheap around within 30-200 plat range depending on how good it is.  For my view when I am selling my riven mods I usually sell that much around that price range because due of how many rolls I had or either that I end up sick of tired using the riven that I don't use for I would sell it dirt cheap.

I only do merchant job on the game depending on either the players I am dealing with either the greatest scheme maker or being fair trade as majorities the time I get the scammer to try to sell mods aren't rare in the game for plats.

Dude, we don't play Warframe as an investment scheme, and it's not exactly like we can't just buy plat when we want it.

We play Warframe to kill things and build collections.

So selling rivens isn't even something we really care about.

I want to get in game and do a Sortie right now....but we're both at 91 rivens and again, there are other games to play and spend money on that aren't causing my girlfriend, and honestly me, grief.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GunRaptor9000 said:

Dude, we don't play Warframe as an investment scheme, and it's not exactly like we can't just buy plat when we want it.

We play Warframe to kill things and build collections.

So selling rivens isn't even something we really care about.

I want to get in game and do a Sortie right now....but we're both at 91 rivens and again, there are other games to play and spend money on that aren't causing my girlfriend, and honestly me, grief.

I am not calling you a scheme, I meant other players scheme so read more carefully.  I just say I dealt with scam before which saying to you just watch out for them because the there was event that was terrible and the market of riven mods crashing as hell which someone charges a useless riven mod for 1k of plat which DE saw this and see the clan of ppl getting massive rich of plats so they went ban the players who doing marketing schemes.

At the time being just sell riven mods fair price for I said about probably depending on how good riven mods and no price goes higher than 300 plat, for there was many suggestions was made to make riven's auction house to balance the cost for plats and how plats being controlled.

Edited by ChaoticEdge