Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nakak is a girl?

9 hours ago, (PS4)DARK_WIZARD999 said:

Ignore the "problematic" complaints, but this has the historical context of which I'm speaking of. Ticker is a "Queen". the reference however may be lost with newer generations, because everything is interpreted as "trans" instead of just flamboyancy these days. Then again, the final word would be DEs choice anyway. 

https://www.them.us/story/call-me-by-my-pronouns

That post is about Gay men talking to each other, and referring to other people as 'Girl' or 'She'. Ticker is referring to themselves in those quotes.

Also we have no indication whether or not Ticker is Gay. Their love is referred to entirely neutrally.

18 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

So, on the Topic of Plague Star and Nakak

am I the only one who gets the glitch that when talking to her about Operational Supply; her dialog plays but not her animation? just stares straight ahead lips not moving yet somehow talking.

No, its because we all know its a bug and dont find the need to point it out.

i'm sure some people already made a thread in the Bug section.

2 hours ago, Kaotyke said:

No, its because we all know its a bug and dont find the need to point it out.

i'm sure some people already made a thread in the Bug section.

You sure? what it no one made a thread because everyone assumed someone else would do it instead?

(this same kinda thing happens a lot when there's a stranger in need of medical attention in public places)

12 hours ago, (NSW)CthulhuAzathoth said:

It is how she being depicted in the game - no female anatomy body parts and her voice sound boyish.Kind of like  a lot of people assume Nezha is a female frame because of his animation.

Huh? Nezha isn't female? but... my cute twin tail ponytail animu girl fashion frame... is ruined now...

5 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

You sure? what it no one made a thread because everyone assumed someone else would do it instead?

(this same kinda thing happens a lot when there's a stranger in need of medical attention in public places)

then go and do it.

10 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

Huh? Nezha isn't female? but... my cute twin tail ponytail animu girl fashion frame... is ruined now...

Nezha is androgynous for the same reason Nakak is androgynous.

The actual deity is a young boy, and both men and women in ancient China rarely cut their hair long as it was considered disrespectful to their parents.

So Nezha would have had long hair, which is often depicted tied into buns with ribbons.

56 minutes ago, RushBCyka said:

Nezha is androgynous for the same reason Nakak is androgynous.

The actual deity is a young boy, and both men and women in ancient China rarely cut their hair long as it was considered disrespectful to their parents.

So Nezha would have had long hair, which is often depicted tied into buns with ribbons.

Traditional Chinese culture, shunned pride in sons, to the point of belief that excessive pride would be punished. Traditionally, male children were dressed as girls and given feminine nicknames. Even Bruce Lee had a feminine nickname, Sai-fon. 

Nezha is, apart from height, extremely close in depiction to the mythology associated with his stories. 

As for Nakak, anyone confused that a little girl is virtually indistinguishable from a little boy if they're dressed the same way, should really consider getting out into the real world more often. Anyone who's shared out candy to trick or treating kids, or run into new mothers with a child dressed in gender neutral colours knows that they are pretty much all the same as far as anyone can tell. 

Ticker is Ticker and that's good enough for me. I quite like their banter, because in many ways it reminds me of the sort of casual affectionisms that are widely used in my country. Over the weekend I went to the hardware store and referred to the salesperson that I have never seen before as "dear", "darling", "sweetie", and in our culture that's not an issue, not an attempt to pick up anyone, not a sexual overture. Ticker would probably fit right in, as far as I am concerned. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Traditional Chinese culture, shunned pride in sons, to the point of belief that excessive pride would be punished. Traditionally, male children were dressed as girls and given feminine nicknames. Even Bruce Lee had a feminine nickname, Sai-fon. 

Nezha is, apart from height, extremely close in depiction to the mythology associated with his stories. 

That doesn't sound right...Well the part about the excessive pride thing being super taboo is generally accurate but not to the point where you would hide the fact you have a son.

It's not that boys were dressed as little girls, but more that the typical clothes for young children didn't vary much based on gender.

It's also true that children are often given milknames before getting a formal name once reaching adulthood, but boys were definitely given male names. I have lots of older relatives who still had the whole milkname/formal name thing, and the men didn't have feminine names when they were young.

Of course, "traditional Chinese culture" is an incredibly broad term with it being such an old and large civilization, so it might even be a regional thing.

Edited by RushBCyka

29 minutes ago, RushBCyka said:

That doesn't sound right...Well the part about the excessive pride thing being super taboo is generally accurate but not to the point where you would hide the fact you have a son.

It's not that boys were dressed as little girls, but more that the typical clothes for young children didn't vary much based on gender.

It's also true that children are often given milknames before getting a formal name once reaching adulthood, but boys were definitely given male names. I have lots of older relatives who still had the whole milkname/formal name thing, and the men didn't have feminine names when they were young.

Of course, "traditional Chinese culture" is an incredibly broad term with it being such an old and large civilization, so it might even be a regional thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee

Check under early life>names for his feminine name.

I've met others in my country that followed the same tradition for those reasons. But I admit that most of the people of Chinese descent in my country came from just 2 regions so perhaps it is regional. The impression I have is that they're meant to be a ward against evil, by preventing pride and are occasionally meant to be a bit insulting. 

On 2019-06-23 at 10:10 AM, (NSW)CthulhuAzathoth said:

The biggest plague star surprise is Nakak's gender. I hope it won't turn into she is Onkko or Konzu granddaughter.

Why do we care?

Nakak isn't using their gender to sell things, why does it matter?

• Like 1

On 2019-06-23 at 1:19 PM, ChaoticEdge said:

Could someone explain this to me?  I thought it was the uncle of konzu that was got infested and

Now the plague star has a gender and its a she?  What is this the infested trying remember who gender it is and start the beehive?

Nakak it on the head, Tenno!

Edited by XaoGarrent

32 minutes ago, (NSW)CthulhuAzathoth said:

No I don't care, I am just surprised by it. Just like a lot of people think nezah is a female frame.

well kids are hard to diferenciate and its quite normal ^.^ what does this has to do with anything ?

for nezha if you are not into Chinese lore its easy to be wrong ^.^ unless you have a good step back on judging first hand or even a rly good cold reading skill.

Edited by trunks013