Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Need New Ways To Progress Nightwave

Balrog229

Let me start by saying that Destiny has the first battle pass system i have ever enjoyed. I enjoy it because it allows you to progress purely through XP, no stupid or annoying daily/weekly/monthly challenges that force you to play a specific way. Because of this, it feels like free rewards just for playing the game, but with the option to accelerate your progress by completing weekly and daily bounties. On top of this, they do not allow you to buy your way through right away, but have promised that after 8 weeks, you'll be allowed to do so if you wish. They encourage you to actually play the game, but will eventually give you the option to buy any tiers you haven't unlocked just in case you didn't have enough time to reach level 100

Warframe's Nightwave system is everything i hate about battle passes. Sure its free, which is great, but it's progression is entirely based on completing specific daily and weekly challenges, and i DESPISE being forced into specific playstyles. I know how i like to play, i know what playstyles i enjoy, and most of these challenges simply aren't it. Get kills with gas damage? Complete PoE bounties? Mine for minerals? Eidolon Hunts? I have all the rewards for this stuff already, so being forced to do it again feels like i'm being forced to complete content with no real reward. It feels like a list of chores rather than a path to great rewards. On top of that, we can't even buy our way through with credits or platinum, meaning if you're busy playing other games and dont have time for this annoying challenge-based system, you're screwed.

I love that they finally brought back the Wolf armor. My PC broke around the time the first Nightwave launched, and it took me months to get it working again so i missed out. But having to reach level 30 during this intermission? Warframe isnt the only game i play. Due to the lack of content, i barely play it atm cuz there's stuff like Destiny 2, Modern Warfare around the corner, Outer Worlds around the corner, DOOM Eternal next year as well as Cyberpunk... There's simply too many other games to play right now during Warframe's content drought to realistically expect us to have time to grind through 30 levels of Nightwave.

I don't have a perfect solution. Warframe's XP system is hard to balance due to how powerful we are, so a purely XP-based system would likely end up being way too grindy. But the current system is heavily flawed and simply is not fun. We need new ways to progress through Nightwave. Ways that better respect players' time and acknowledges that Warframe is not the only game we play and care about.

All that said, i'd love to hear some other opinions, both those that agree and disagree, so long as they are substantive and constructive. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 3rdpig said:

Best response to one of these posts yet!

but D2 kinda do reward/battlepass system better than wf though..

what you gonna do with extra wolf armor, syandana, emote, etc in the intermission? in D2 you can dismantle copies so theres no dead reward clogging inventory.

But sure lets just sweep constructive feedback with memes and gifs..

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, GnarlsDarkley said:

200.webp?cid=790b76115ee55b9d4fbf8df2f22

Like it or not, Destiny and Warframe do alot of things similarly. Some things Warframe does far superior to Destiny, some things Destiny does far superior to Warframe. Neither game is perfect.
But that's not the point. I'm purely comparing their battle pass systems, so set aside your bias for or against the games themselves. Warframe's battle pass is too much like Fortnite's, and i hate the style of battle pass that Fortnite popularized.

Also, i specifically said i wanted to hear SUBSTANTIVE and CONSTRUCTIVE responses. Yours was childish and toxic. You may not like Destiny, but that's not at all the point.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, --DSP--Jetstream said:

what you gonna do with extra wolf armor, syandana, emote, etc in the intermission? in D2 you can dismantle copies so theres no dead reward clogging inventory.

I dont mind the rewards that Warframe's Nightwave offers. My favorite part of Destiny's battle pass is the new universal ornament, and that's purely cosmetic. I love cosmetic rewards.
But yeah, it gives far more useful rewards, and gives them more frequently

12 minutes ago, (XB1)Skippy575 said:

NW grabs challenges from all aspects of the game. Do the ones you like and skip the others. Intermission is gonna be here a while if we can hit prestige rank 30.

The problem is, if i do that, then it takes even longer to get finished, and i have other games that are more deserving of my time right now during this content drought in Warframe. So yeah i could do that, but i'm not sure how long this intermission will last and i wanna get to level 30 ASAP so i dont have to worry about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Balrog229 said:

and i have other games that are more deserving of my time right now during this content drought in Warframe.

If your time is so precious, then don't bother with Warframe.
And really, the current challenges are easy as all hell. If you have one or two mates, they don't even take 2 hours. (I don't know how long the Index challenge is, so it's kind of difficult to say)
Going by NWS2, all the challenges were stupidly easy. If you complain they would take too much time, you aren't far enough into the game...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renegade343 said:

Hey, if Destiny did something right that Warframe could learn from, then by all means.

Agree...

I also like Destiny BP system. However, the community here would declare "its too easy..."..

I'm fine with an intermission. We all know what were waiting for...

*cough* railjack *cough*

17 minutes ago, Balrog229 said:

The problem is, if i do that, then it takes even longer to get finished, and i have other games that are more deserving of my time right now during this content drought in Warframe. So yeah i could do that, but i'm not sure how long this intermission will last and i wanna get to level 30 ASAP so i dont have to worry about it.

If all you're wanting to do is rush through the content, then this isn't the game for you.

Some things can not be directly compared. If WF's Nightwave was progressed through XP, ESO would make you max-out within a day if there are no caps in place.

And if there is a cap, there would be no difference from just playing the game doing other things while passively unlocking rewards without engaging in specific activities or effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, --DSP--Jetstream said:

You could make an argument for this if you are talking about the bottom track a.k.a. the track you will need to pay for (iirc it's free only this time around) after that it's just 19 engrams (compared to the 90 you could earn in the same time as before) and two randomly rolled guns and even then the bottom rank isn't particularly impressive it's just mats and shards and stuff with the only standout things being the ornaments and the two neat things at rank 99 and 100.

53 minutes ago, Jarriaga said:

Some things can not be directly compared. If WF's Nightwave was progressed through XP, ESO would make you max-out within a day if there are no caps in place.

And if there is a cap, there would be no difference from just playing the game doing other things while passively unlocking rewards without engaging in specific activities or effort.

This. Destiny 2 severely caps player xp gain after the first 5 levels that week to really really reeeeally drag it out. Al that would happen is people whining about how we need more xp gain to level up faster if Warframe adopted this.

2 hours ago, Balrog229 said:

On top of that, we can't even buy our way through with credits or platinum, meaning if you're busy playing other games and dont have time for this annoying challenge-based system, you're screwed.

We need new ways to progress through Nightwave. Ways that better respect players' time and acknowledges that Warframe is not the only game we play and care about.

Not quite sure if I should laugh or cry due to the sillyness of those two sentences.

You honestly cannot be bothered to dedicate 2-3 hours top per week to get nightwave done? I think asking a maximum of 3 hours per week from a player to get several neat things over the course of 30 ranks is pretty damn respectful already towards the players and their time.

The only challenge they may increase those weekly hours would be the tridolon, mostly because there are so many varieties (I was going for another word but thought it would be best not to) of players trying to do it, with gear ranging from scrubby-dubby-doo to choo-choo-here-comes-the-pain.

But seriously, 2 hours and you complain about the system?

• Like 2

I'm still having problems with challenges like farming gems or making people go through content that many probably rushed right through because it wasn't interested and wanted it over and done with. I wish they were all a lot more generic and involved just killing enemies a specific way or killing a specific type/number of them so you can do them as you did whatever it is you wanted. I just so no point in busy work that you're leagues ahead of because you got what you needed. Not everyone is at the stage of the game I'm in but when you get there you'll understand.

2 hours ago, (XB1)Skippy575 said:

If all you're wanting to do is rush through the content, then this isn't the game for you.

Why not? I've been doing this for 4 years creeping up on 6000 hours. It's a perfectly acceptable play style.

OP I agree. I'm not a fan of Destiny 2 by any means, but your description of what they do for a Battle Pass sounds leagues better than Nightwave.

Edited by Voltage